Start by marking “One Pound Gospel, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
One Pound Gospel, Volume 1

One Pound Gospel, Volume 1 (One Pound Gospel #1)

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  175 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A boxer without a prayer meets a naïve nun who might be his only chance for salvation… and victory in the ring.

Times are tough at Mukaida's Gym. Though a promising novice with a surprise win in his debut bout, Kosaku has since adopted a steady regimen of extremely unhealthy eating habits--enough to make his coach ready to permanently throw in the towel. Will Sister Angela'

Published August 5th 1996 by VIZ Media LLC (first published July 1989)

To ask other readers questions about One Pound Gospel, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Pound Gospel, Volume 1

Boys Over Flowers by Yoko KamioHana-Kimi, Vol. 1 by Hisaya NakajoOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriThe Wallflower, Vol. 1 by Tomoko HayakawaSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki Nakamura
Dramas Based On Manga
22nd out of 66 books — 44 voters
黒子のバスケ [Kuroko no Basuke] 1 by Tadatoshi Fujimakiハイキュー!! 1 [High Kyuu!! 1] by Haruichi FurudateダイヤのA 1 [Daiya no A 1] by Yuuji TerajimaSlam Dunk, Tome 1 by Takehiko InoueThe Prince of Tennis, Volume 1 by Takeshi Konomi
Best Sports Manga
28th out of 36 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Sep 05, 2012 Sesana rated it it was ok
I'm not sure if it was the heavy emphasis on boxing or the possible romance between a boxer and a nun (!) but this just isn't doing it for me.
Miriam Nazarith
Feb 22, 2016 Miriam Nazarith rated it really liked it
Rumiko, la mujer que me inició desde muy pequeña en el mundo de anime y el manga con sus series "Ranma 1/2" e "Inuyasha", podéis imaginar el cariño que tengo a la autora así que no es de extrañar que una vez más me haya sumergido en otra de sus comedias románticas.
Si bien esta primera entrega de 4 tomos no puede compararse a las otras historias de la autora mucho más famosas y elaboradas, hacía mucho que no leía nada suyo y me ha inundado una nostalgia increíble que se ha manifestado en la masti
Yue
The reason I picked this manga to read it is Kamenashi Kazuya, the actor who played the main role in the dorama. I wanted to know the story before watching the series.

I was expecting not to like it at all, but surprisingly it was the opposite. Kosaku is a likeable character, and although I am not a fan of boxing, the story was fast-paced and kept me interested.

Kosaku is a wrestler pro in featherweight, meaning that he has to keep a balance in his weight. Her trainer is always controlling him be
Nicole *{Lady Aribeth}*
Nov 29, 2012 Nicole *{Lady Aribeth}* marked it as did-not-want-to-finish
Let's be honest here, the only reason I picked up the first volume of this series is because I happened upon it at the library, and it has Rumiko Takahashi's name on it. I kept picking it up and putting it back down, and the conversation in my head went something like this:

"One Pound Gospel? Hmm....weird title....what is this about?"
"Oh, boxing? Nah."
"Wait a minute, Rumiko Takahashi?! OH! Ok, maybe...."
"No, I don't think I'll like it (not a big sports person)"
"BUT BUT! Rumiko Takahashi!"

So I ta
Rickie
Nov 30, 2015 Rickie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-reading
A nice slice of life that had me hooked the moment I read it. The volume is thick with content, allowing for plenty of humor, action, and quirky moments to be shown to the readers. I recommend this short series to anyone who is a fan of Rumiko Takahashi!
Lord
Apr 12, 2009 Lord rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I don't like boxing (although I like Hajime no Ippo - an ultimate boxing manga). I also don't like most of Rumiko Takahashi's work (well, I like Mermaid Saga and Maison Ikkoku). But One-Pound Gospel is an enjoyable manga, although I can't explain why. I just like reading it. Sure the humour is crude, the jokes repetitive and practically about one thing - eating and losing weight. Sure, the relationship between a nun and a boxer is weird. A group of nuns attending a boxing match is probably unhea ...more
Patrik Sahlstrøm
Nov 02, 2015 Patrik Sahlstrøm rated it it was ok
Inane plot circling about weightloss and a dumb boxer trying to convince a nun to become his girlfriend. Stay away!
Sae-chan
Jan 30, 2016 Sae-chan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-graphic
A boxer with an eating disorder... difficult, even to rate.
Kimberly
Dec 22, 2008 Kimberly rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
This is possibly the worst manga that I have ever read in my whole entire life. The boxer is so gluttonous that he has to lose weight to fight in the right? That was just ONE of the things that made me dislike this. I don't think that I'm even going to read the rest of the series, because the first was extremely bad and a horrible way to start off a series.
Nayaab Shah
Mar 18, 2016 Nayaab Shah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boxing, food, japan, romance, weight
Such a amazing story /manga !!! This author truly has a talent for writing and drawing. I can not wait for the romantics volume 2!!
Nick Jones
Jan 12, 2016 Nick Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I liked One-Pound Gospel more than I expected to, given the low rating and lackluster reviews here on Goodreads. Humor series generally don't cause me to laugh out loud, but this one accomplished it a number of times.
Amy
Aug 16, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book reminds me why I love Rumiko Takahashi so much--the laugh-out-loud comedy! I was giggling and biting my lip while reading this on the bus. The gags never get old. :)
Monique
Cute, fun and amusing. If you like Ranma 1/2 you'll probably like One Pound Gospel. It's a nice, short, four-volume series that I'll be happy to finish collecting.
Emmy Lou
As much as I love Takahashi-sensei, this manga is just not totally clicking... I'll probably read the whole series just because it's Takahashi-sensei's.
Eve
Eve rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Javier Muñoz
Javier Muñoz rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
Rae
Rae added it
May 09, 2016
Tatsuya Shiba
Tatsuya Shiba rated it did not like it
May 08, 2016
Charmaine
Charmaine marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Nikki Kwon
Nikki Kwon marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Giovanna Hernández
Giovanna Hernández rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Wynter
Wynter marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Lady Daydreaming
Lady Daydreaming rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2016
Maurizio Becchetti
Maurizio Becchetti rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • I"s, Volume 01: Iori
  • Here is Greenwood, Vol. 1
  • Mint Na Bokura, Vol. 02
  • Emma, Vol. 10
  • Rosario + Vampire, Tome 8, Saison 2
  • Cat Paradise 1 (Cat Paradise, #1)
  • Happy Mania Volume 1
  • Zero's Familiar Omnibus 1-3
  • Excel Saga, Vol. 1 (Excel Saga, #1)
  • Jiu Jiu, Vol. 1
  • Ultimate Venus, Volume 1
  • Arata: The Legend, Vol. 03 (Arata: The Legend, #3)
  • Lupin III, Vol. 1
  • Confidential Confessions, Volume 1
  • Yu Yu Hakusho, Volume 2: Lonesome Ghost (Yu Yu Hakusho, #2)
Rumiko Takahashi (高橋 留美子) was born in Niigata, Japan. She is not only one of the richest women in Japan but also one of the top paid manga artists. She is also the most successful female comic artist in history. She has been writing manga non-stop for 31 years.

Rumiko Takahashi is one of the wealthiest women in Japan. The manga she creates (and its anime adaptations) are very popular in the United
More about Rumiko Takahashi...

One Pound Gospel (4 books)
  • One-Pound Gospel, Vol. 2
  • One Pound Gospel, Volume 3. Knuckle Sandwich.
  • One-Pound Gospel, Vol. 4