Start by marking “Hack/Slash Omnibus Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Hack/Slash Omnibus Volume 1

Hack/Slash Omnibus Volume 1 (Hack/Slash Omnibus 1)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  1,109 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
At the end of every horror movie, one girl always survives...in this case, Cassie Hack not only survives, she turns the tables by hunting and destroying the horrible slashers that would do harm to the innocent Alongside the gentle giant known as Vlad, the two cut a bloody path through those who deserve to be put down...hard.

Collects: Hack/Slash (Euthanized), Girls Gone Dea

Published February 13th 2008 by Devil's Due Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Hack/Slash Omnibus Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hack/Slash Omnibus Volume 1

Locke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanUzumaki, Vol. 1 by Junji ItoThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanHellboy, Vol. 1 by Mike Mignola
Best Horror Comics/Graphic Novels!
37th out of 270 books — 238 voters
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. VaughanScott Pilgrim, Volume 1 by Bryan Lee O'MalleyBone by Jeff SmithFun Home by Alison BechdelMaus I by Art Spiegelman
Best Independent Graphic Novels.
36th out of 254 books — 218 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
Jan 06, 2012 Patrick rated it it was amazing

When the title of a comic is Hack/Slash, you have a pretty good idea what you're going to be getting in a story.

I picked up this omnibus edition about a year ago at a small local convention (it turns out the author is from Wisconsin) and really enjoyed it. It's a fun story about a young girl that kills serial killers.

Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Clockwork Orange.

It's fun, violent, humorous, and with just enough of a overarching plot to keep me interested in the overall narrative. I lik
Justin
Dec 04, 2013 Justin rated it really liked it
Just look at how ridiculous and awesome this cover is. This is the kind of cover that I wouldn’t really carry under my arm in public, and in fact, I was a little embarrassed having it on my bedside table. Still, I couldn’t pass this up after finding out about the book’s concept, and while it’s a bit of a hot mess, I’m glad I gave it a try.

Hack/Slash is an Image title that began life as a sporadic indie comic, which chronicles the episodic adventures of Cassandra Hack and her hulking, disfigured
Keya
Jun 13, 2012 Keya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, favorites, owned
Take Buffy the Vampire Slayer, give her a goth/suicide girl fashion sense, make her a little more anti-social, replace the vampires with 80s horror movie slashers and you get Hack/Slash, which is probably my favorite comic series ever. It doesn't have the depth of Sandman or any other Vertigo-esque title, it's just a ton of fun to read.

Cassie Hack, our main character, is the sole survivor of a massacre by a slasher called the Lunch Lady, who turns out to be her own mother. Delilah Hack only eve
Nicholas Karpuk
Feb 15, 2013 Nicholas Karpuk rated it did not like it
If ever a comic had a very precise target audience, it's Hack/Slash. If you aren't really big into shitty horror movies from the last 30 years, this series will probably leave you scratching your head.

It's true to its source material in that it's not particularly frightening, incredibly violent, and seemingly threatened by sexuality while constantly flaunting sexual imagery. Cassie Hack is the exact sort of male-created heroine I've become exceedingly tiresome. She's empowered purely in the mann
Andrew Greatbatch
This was brilliant, especially the crossover with Chucky from Child's Play!
Felicia Caro
Aug 22, 2016 Felicia Caro rated it it was amazing
I picked up a library copy of Hack Slash Omnibus Volume 1. Someone had recently returned it, and I couldn’t help but notice the striking cover: a girl, possibly in her late teens to mid-twenties, staring fiercely with her intense blue eyes at something, her shoulder length straight dark brown hair covering her right eye. And yes, she is wearing revealing clothing, but there’s nothing uncomfortably sexual about it (from my subjective perspective) – the girl, whose name is Cassandra Hack, is ...more
C.T. Phipps
Aug 13, 2016 C.T. Phipps rated it it was amazing

I love Hack/Slash.

Abandoning all premise of objectivity, I've got to say this is my favorite independent comic currently ongoing and I suggest everyone go and pick it up. I also suggest people pick up the twenty dollar omnibus for the series and buy them each in turn. I could go on with my needless fanboy-ism but I think you all get the picture. So, instead, I'm going to dial it back and try to objectively talk about the series.

The premise of Hack/Slash is a somewhat darker take on Buffy: The
Paul Nelson
Aug 07, 2013 Paul Nelson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hack Slash omnibus 1 brings together the first nine comics of the series starting with Euthanized, where Vlad and Cassie must battle Bobby, a vengeful, undead slasher with the ability to control dead animals. Bobby was revealed to have been a mentally handicapped veterinary assistant accidentally murdered by the vet's fiancé. This issue has a brief recollection of Cassie's history, daughter of an eccentric dinner lady. Her mother watched as Cassie was bullied through school until she could take ...more
Jared Millet
Jul 17, 2013 Jared Millet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not sure exactly what it is that makes horror such a difficult genre to translate into comics with the same emotional impact you can get from books or film. Is it that the comics format makes it nearly impossible for the creators to use the “sudden shock” tool from the horror toolbox, or that the art in many horror comics is just cartoony enough to provide a cushion of safety for the reader? Whatever it is, I’ve found it very rare that a comic book can disturb me on the same level as film or ...more
Hec
Jul 19, 2013 Hec rated it it was amazing
This book is either a hit or miss depending on if you like violent comic book action and horror movies. I've read the entire run of the series and I loved it. I found Cassie Hack to be a likable character that grows on you over time. The first Omnibus is a collection of the one shot's that was first used when Hack/Slash came out. Which later went on to become a monthly series as you find out in later volumes.

Cassie and Vlad travel across the U.S. in search of slashers who they hunt down and kill
Stanley
Mar 21, 2016 Stanley rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, comics
I can't believe that I just now got into Hack/Slash as it is such a fun book.

I love our main character and her backup ain't so bad himself.

I was so excited reading through this from one issue to the next.

That being said, this is quite the hodgepodge, so not all stories inside are created equal. Most of them are really fun, but I wasn't a huge fan of the Evil Ernie one and some of the shorts were just OK, dropping this down from 5 stars to four.

However, Tim Seeley is quickly becoming one of my fa
Susan
Feb 24, 2016 Susan rated it really liked it
re-read in omnibus form (thanks!) 2/7/2012 - 2/15/2012
re*read 5/18/2015

nicely violent series

Collects Hack/Slash #1 (Euthanized) (also in Image Firsts with Hack/Slash the Series #0)
Girls Gone Dead (also in TPB 1: First Cut)
Comic Book Carnage (also in TPB 2: Death by Sequel)
The Final Revenge of Evil Ernie
Land of Lost Toys 1-3 (also in TPB 2: Death by Sequel)
Slice Hard (also in TPB 2: Death by Sequel)
Hack/Slash vs Chucky (also in TPB 3: Friday the 31st)
& Trailers (also in TPB 2: Death by Seque
Andy
Apr 11, 2009 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I decided to pick up something else while browsing the comic store the other day in a break from my usual Spider-Man. So I picked up the comic with the violence, the gore and the big breasted women. Ha ha. This comic is awesome - as a lover of crappy slasher picks this really does something interesting with the concept. I'm going to keep reading.
Caro
Feb 22, 2016 Caro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was a really good read. I'm going with 4.5 stars. I loved the story and the many interesting characters. This writer has a vivid imagination. There was plenty of humor and I love Cassie and Vlad's personalities. The art was mostly really good, but there were a few styles I didn't like. I really enjoyed reading this and can't wait to read the next omnibus. Enjoy!
Dan Edens
Sep 05, 2016 Dan Edens rated it it was amazing
I know I'm really late to the party on this one, but Hack/Slash is great! What a fantastic idea, it combines everything you want from a great slasher movie (blood, girls, and humor) with a feeling of something really fresh and fun, like watching Buffy for the first time again. And VLAD! oh Vlad....has there ever been a more lovable character? Can't wait to start the second Omnibus!
Kordi Carter
Jan 12, 2016 Kordi Carter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Seriously one of my favorite comic series right now. Cassie is such a bamf, and Vlad keeps me giggling. I absolutely love the characters and the storyline. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves comics and slasher movies. You won't be disappointed.
Andy 117
Jul 03, 2015 Andy 117 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-comic-tpbs
Hack/Slash is like Buffy the Vampire Slayer was written by someone who has actually watched a horror film between the 70s and 90s. It's also written by someone who lacks the cohesive voice to make any of the characters actually worth reading about.

Look, bully to 'em. Hack/Slash is the kind of horror riff that fans of the genre rarely get - made for fans, by fans. There's so many nods and winks and hints and outright crossovers in here, echoing franchise "classics" like A Nightmare on Elm Street,
Raine Gregus
Nov 06, 2016 Raine Gregus rated it liked it
Well it certainly isn't gaining a spot as my favorite comic of all time anytime soon but it was an entertaining read. I liked the main characters and the art was both varied and interesting. The storylines were generally acceptable but the Chucky one was a little lame for me. :\

Overall, if you like horror comics then I think you'd probably like this one but it doesn't but out of any insane creative boxes.
J.C.
Nov 01, 2016 J.C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other
I think it's fun, but I also can't decide if it's sexist or feminist. Probably the former if I have to ask.
Chris
Oct 21, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not really into horror or slasher movies but this was a hell of a lot of fun to read. The action is gory though with lots of campy humor. And the relationship between Cassie and Vlad is surprisingly touching.
Tarin
Dec 02, 2016 Tarin rated it it was amazing
Great story line. I couldn't put this omnibus down as soon as I picked it up.
Bob Meracle
Oct 15, 2016 Bob Meracle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome! Cassie Hack, the girl who kills serial killers, and her hulking sidekick, Vlad take on supernaturals from the Acid Angel to Chucky in this huge volume of stories. Highly recommended!
Carlie George
Oct 21, 2015 Carlie George rated it liked it
Conceptually, I love this book. A goth survivor girl and her mistaken-for-a-slasher sidekick travel around the country killing undead serial killers? That's a winning premise right there and one I'd love to see make its way to the small screen. (Which I think I heard might happen? Let's hope.) And I generally enjoy Cassie and Vlad's friendship, and all the cases. I like how the supporting characters/survivors from earlier issues keep coming back later on. This whole series is a serious throwback ...more
Shayna Ross
Unfortunately, I didn't finish this. Partly, the library copy I had was absolutely falling apart and such a pain to read, but I also found myself glazing over the story... it just didn't grab my attention well enough that I wanted to continue the story.

Premise: Cassie Hack, after going through a series of traumatic events involving her mother as a child and teen, becomes a serial killer for Slashers, zombie-like killers bent on destruction and revenge. She travels with her Frankenstein-like part
Michael
Feb 28, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoy this series as it's quite simply good fun. The protagonist, Cassie Hack is the survivor of a slasher attack (slashers being the name given to the typical/classic horror baddie who goes around killing people/teens).

It utilises and comments on typical horror genre tropes (such as teens being killed) and serves it up with a good dosing of action, comedy and elements of horror. There’s a nice mix of original and licensed villains used, for example Father Wrath and Chucky, respectively
John Wiswell
Apr 07, 2008 John Wiswell rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Huge horror movie fans
This was painful for me to read as an old horror fan. It's supposed to embrace all the tenets of 'slasher' movies with a heroine who goes on to hunt them down, but it's mostly dull with dreadful art and plain poor dialogue and characterization. The strengths of Friday the 13th and Nightmare of Elm Street were to find simple characters and stick to that, but they always wore those characters out; here, the characters are introduced with worn-out creativity, and their slasher-prey are even lamer. ...more
Jim
Sep 11, 2016 Jim rated it it was ok
In all fairness, this isn't a bad series, if you like slasher films and are a young male who enjoys a good dose of the prurient. Yeah, me in a younger manifestation. But I long ago gave up slasher flicks and I suppose I may have hoped for something more interesting than a variant of the Buffy series. It is a bit bold, and I think it would have been better had she been more undercover (right, like that would work in the world of comics) and dispatching the villains with more stealth. it was like ...more
Mike
Oct 21, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-and-read
There's occasional hints of humour or parody, but they're hardly enough of a spark to make this an enjoyable meta-ride. In fact, they seem timid somehow, that Seeley isn't really committed to the joke, but wants to try just the same.

Plenty of recurring slashers just like in our favourite horror series, and frequent little sub-plot fragments involving (just barely) the supporting cast. None of it very consequential, just plot fluff that blows away again, like in most weekly tv shows.

Even with th
Chibineko
Sep 15, 2011 Chibineko rated it liked it
Just like the horror movies it lampoons, this series is cheap, flashy, and strangely addictive. This comic aims hard for the lowest common denominator and for the most part it hits it. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse, but I really enjoyed this comic as a guilty pleasure read. You could probably do a lot better than this comic, but then I don't think Seeley was really aiming for a comic that would make you think.

What really kept this from being as good as it could have been was that i
Vicki-shawn
Oct 05, 2012 Vicki-shawn rated it it was amazing
I just recently discovered the glory that is Hack/Slash while perusing the back issue section at Comics n' Stuff in Carlsbad CA, when I came across Hack/Slash Annual number three which is a fantastic read for any horror comic fan. So after reading annual three immediately after purchasing it, I had to have more so I got on amazon and ordered Hack/Slash Omnibus one and danced like a maniac when it showed up at my door.
Omnibus One collects the early stories of Cassie and Vlad's slasher hunts, unf
  • Bedlam, Vol. 1
  • North 40
  • Mystery Society
  • Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 2
  • Ghosted, Volume One: Haunted Heist (Ghosted, #1)
  • The Sixth Gun, Vol. 1: Cold Dead Fingers
  • Baltimore, Vol. 2: The Curse Bells (Baltimore, #2)
  • Echoes
  • Fatale, Volume 2: The Devil's Business
  • Empowered, Volume 2 (Empowered, #2)
  • Boneyard, Volume 1: In Full Color
Tim Seeley is a comic book artist and writer known for his work on books such as G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, The Dark Elf Trilogy, Batman Eternal and Grayson. He is also the co-creator of the Image Comics titles Hack/Slash[1] and Revival, as well as the Dark Horse titles, ExSanguine and Sundowners. He lives in Chicago.
More about Tim Seeley...

Hack/Slash (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Hack/Slash, Vol. 1: First Cut
  • Hack/Slash, Volume 2: Death By Sequel
  • Hack/Slash Volume 3: Friday the 31st (Hack/Slash)
  • Hack/Slash, Volume 4: Return of the Revenge, Part 4
  • Hack/Slash Volume 5: Reanimation Games
  • Hack/Slash Volume 6: In Revenge And In Love (Hack Slash)
  • Hack/Slash Volume 7: New Blood Old Wounds