Start by marking “Moonlight Becomes You” as Want to Read:
Moonlight Becomes You

Moonlight Becomes You

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  13,835 Ratings  ·  364 Reviews
Newport, Rhode Island: a world of old money, old names, and sinister secrets. Maggie Holloway, a fashion photographer, goes to visit a woman who had once been her stepmother, but when she arrives, the woman is dead, the victim of a violent robbery. Maggie is stunned when she learns that she's the beneficiary of the will - and even more stunned when she recognizes a pattern ...more
Published November 3rd 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Moonlight Becomes You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moonlight Becomes You

Ana M. Román
No ha conseguido atraparme como otros libros de la autora. No sé si es porque ya voy conociendo su estilo pero he sabido desde el primer momento quien era el culpable.

Sin embargo, sí me ha gustado cómo ha ido entretejiendo las otras tramas para que luego todo tuviera un único hilo conductor.
Crystal Starr Light
After the terrible, terrible experience I had with Eleventh Hour (overall assessment: don't read that book even if you are forced to), I had to come back with a decent mystery. I had read Where Are the Children? by Mary Higgins Clark a while back and greatly enjoyed it so figured this one would redeem the genre.

Plot:
Maggie Holloway is a successful photographer in New York. She reunites with her beloved step-mother, Nuala Moore, at a family reunion and is invited to spend two weeks with her step-
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Feb 21, 2017 BAM The Bibliomaniac rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, traded
Rating it a 3 because although it was a good story, figuring out the antagonist was too facile. He just disappeared from the storyline for awhile. Highly questionable
Maggie Holloway connects with a stepmother from childhood who winds up murder. She investigates the murder along with a few others who all have Victorian grave bells left on their tombstones. Side story of stock fraud
It all comes together at the end very well. No argument with that.
Sheila
Mar 02, 2010 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent story by MHC and the completion of her entire bibliography for me. I am going to go back and start reading them all again.
Leira Murillo
Jan 04, 2014 Leira Murillo rated it really liked it
Another must read novel by Ms. Clark. It has been a pleasure to be an avid fan of her works. Thrilling, it kept me guessing from one chapter to another. As expected, the mixture of Ms. Clark's imagination towards the characters was superb but still mysterious. Beginning with Odile Lane, the woman who looked like an empty-brain person and turned out to be easily manipulated, a robot. Earthly desires reigning her heart and mind. Dr. William Lane, the man is full of charm and wisdom behind his impe ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
Not bad, but overall kind of on the forgettable side.
The first three pages in the beginning were great, but it was pretty slow up until the last third of the story. Maggie wasn't all that interesting to read either - not a lot of depth there. And it was pretty easy to work out who the villain was pretty much right out of the gate - not a whole lot of mystery.
I think I would classify this as a light waiting room, bus, or airplane read. I could see this being turned into a low-budget tv movie wi
Arwen
Mar 21, 2011 Arwen rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime-suspense
I was disappointed. It's very easy to work out who the villain is, the characters are shallow and really I don't think it's well-written at all. This book is like a holiday romance with a few murders thrown in.
I have read other books by Mary Higgins Clark and don't remember them being as ordinary as this one.
Lisa
Jul 14, 2016 Lisa rated it did not like it
Boring and predictable. I have to say that I skimmed through it because I have no time for bad books.
Stef Rozitis
Not sure what the title has to do with anything apart from of COURSE moonlight becomes Maggie Holloway, since Maggie Holloway is such a Mary Sue and everybody loves her (although she mysteriously has no family or friends in the story apart from two guys who are both in love with her and a Stepmother she hasn't seen since she was a child).

Maggie is fantastic at sculpting clay. She can instantly make a recognisable bust of someone from her memory...however she knew that sculpting couldn't be her r
Amanda McGill
Mar 05, 2017 Amanda McGill rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
I have found more misses then hits with Mary Higgins Clark and Moonlight Becomes You is a big miss.

Maggie has just re-connected with her ex step-mother, Nuula, when Nuula is found dead. After spending some time in Newport, Maggie is finding some other suspicious deaths and not everyone seems to be telling the truth.

Oh man, where to even begin with this one. First of all, Maggie is very boring and of course MHC paints her in a perfect light. 3 men seem to be fighting over her and I have no idea
Selu Winnenberg
Not my favorite MHC novel, but a damned good one that I've re-read multiple times. I quite like Maggie and I didn't guess the murderer or the reasons for the murders until the end, always a nice treat for someone who reads so many mysteries. I also love the Rhode Island setting, and I wish MHC would write more books set on the shore.
Vanessa Kay
Apr 01, 2014 Vanessa Kay rated it it was amazing
Reaction (Book)
Just like her other books, it introduces a lot of characters which makes it so hard to keep track of. She introduced them in a very detailed way that would make you think he/she was the bad guy. What a great technique eh? Her style of “who done it” never fails to amaze me. Reading it for the second time never gave me the convenience to guess the real suspect. It really just proves that Mary Higgins Clarks’ writing skills is really unpredictable. The title “Americas Queen of Suspen
Aparna
Jan 06, 2014 Aparna rated it really liked it
This is what I call a chilling mystery by Mary Higgins Clark, every bit hers. Yes, as usual there are many characters even here, however, I think she has connected them very well within her brilliant plot.

Maggie Holloway, a successful fashion photographer, gets reunited with her step mother, Nuala Moore, at a party in Manhattan. Nuala, a widow now, reciprocates the feelings and invites Maggie to spend a few weeks at her home in Newport, Rhode Island. However, when Maggie reaches Newport, she fin
Hannah Rush
Maggie Holloway, the main character, finds her long lost stepmother at a party and agrees to come and visit her at her home in Newport, Rhode Island. But when she arrives she finds Nuala (her stepmother) dead in her home. And so sets the scene for this interesting mystery. This will keep you guessing till the end, or nearly the end. I didn't guess who it was till I had about three chapters left. That isn't bad, I have read quite a few where you guessed who the villain was after reading just a fe ...more
Tiana
Nov 03, 2009 Tiana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ir-8th-grade
Moonlight Becomes You, by Mary Higgins Clark is about a photographer named Maggie Holloway. After she is invited to a party and reunites with her widow stepmother. She offers Maggie to come to her house in Rhode Island. When Maggie gets there she is frightend by the sight of her stepmother, Nula, murdered by someone. When Maggie inherited Nulas house, she starts t suspect that her death was in spite of something. Maggie spend her whole time finding out who killed her stepmother and why.

During th
Theresa Leone Davidson
I will not make fun of Clark's novels as I usually do - stupid to do if I am reading them - because as much as they are cotton candy for the brain, without anything meaningful, memorable, or approaching profound, they are always mildly interesting and in a stressful week (state testing for my students) they are a somewhat fun diversion. This novel was about as good as the rest but about one thing I will comment: the last one of her novels I read, On the Street Where You Live, is almost identical ...more
Raymond
Morning Becomes You is a perfect bus ride, waiting room, kind of book. It doesn’t ask too much of you, intellectually, the chapters are short and the plot moves quickly. Overall, a pleasant read, and it would make a reasonably interesting television movie.

A young woman arrives for a pre-arranged re-union with a favored stepmother and finds her dead. She becomes suspicious of a few other deaths at the local nursing home.

The most interesting character in the book is Earl Bateman and this because o
Rita Chapman
Feb 23, 2016 Rita Chapman rated it really liked it
Buried alive - everyone's nightmare! Maggie is delighted when she is reunited with her stepmother. However, when before they can catch up again she Nuala is murdered. When Maggie starts to look in to the murder she is led to a nursing home where there have been several recent unexpected deaths. A gripping mystery - Mary Higgings Clark never disappoints!
Elizabeth
Jun 03, 2009 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
All M.H.C. books have the same theme, attractive smart woman as main character unknowingly in a lot of danger while you meet a few attractive male characters. One of the male characters is the killer, the other the love interest and you don't get to know which is which until the end. (If you don't figure it out in the first 3 chapters.)
LJ
MOONLIGHT BECOMES YOU - VG
Clark, Mary Higgins - standalone

Maggie Holloway is unsatisfied with the explanation for her former stepmother's death, and when the residents of a nursing home begin dying suddenly and inexplicably she becomes suspicious. It is only later that she realizes she herself is a target for a twisted killer.

This was one of her best books in awhile. Good suspense.
Brittany
Feb 03, 2009 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book last night and I couldn't put it down. I love all of her books because they are all a mystery, but not too scary. The end was very exciting and my heart was pounding as it all unraveled. Great read!
Cathy DuPont
Okay, I liked it and yes, I would read another. But when I can figure out the whodunit, it doesn't say much about the storyline.
Raymond Fundora
Jul 16, 2011 Raymond Fundora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better the second time around. If you haven't read Mary Higgns Clark before, this is a good book to start with.
Jae
Feb 06, 2017 Jae rated it really liked it
to be honest it's really a 3.5 star rating. But because Goodreads takes a average I gave it a generous 4 star ( I try not to read anything below 3.5 from Goodreads rating)
The writing style comes across as a little old fashioned now but it's still definitely worth the read. Also could be more polished and paced a lot faster but it had charm and I still really enjoyed as escapist fiction.
I haven't read a Mary Higgins Clark book for a long time and I've either got a more critical eye now, as I've
Cindy Bates
May 20, 2017 Cindy Bates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery

First book I have read by her. Light reading. Characters are thought through. Was not sure who " dunit" but figured it out but not the how and why.
Sami
Jun 12, 2017 Sami rated it really liked it
I remember this one being one of my favorites
Les Wilson
May 24, 2017 Les Wilson rated it it was ok
Booring 💤
May 18, 2017 Sarah rated it it was amazing
One of my faves that she has written.
Julie
Jun 18, 2017 Julie rated it really liked it
Figured out who did it shortly before the end but really good mystery.
Laurie D'ghent
Feb 22, 2017 Laurie D'ghent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful
  • Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • Fleeced (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #5)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • The Christmas Box
  • Tell Me No Secrets
  • McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...