Start by marking “When We Were Very Young And Now We Are Six (A.A. Milne's Pooh Classics)” as Want to Read:
When We Were Very Young And Now We Are Six (A.A. Milne's Pooh Classics)

When We Were Very Young And Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh #3-4)

Blackstone Audio presents, from the unabridged collection "A.A. Milne's Pooh Classics," the forty-four poems from When We Were Very Young and the thirty-five poems of Now We Are Six, performed by Peter Dennis. This is the only reading of these delightful verses authorized by A.A. Milne's son, Christopher Robin. The first of A.A. Milne's four world-famous books for children ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 5th 2005 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about When We Were Very Young And Now We Are Six, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When We Were Very Young And Now We Are Six

Kellen O'Grady
Jan 17, 2016 Kellen O'Grady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Because of these poems, I think I'll be six now for ever and ever.
Bev
Mar 05, 2011 Bev rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
The World of Christopher Robin contains both When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six--two works of poetry for the young which I read in separate editions when I was a small person. When I became a grownup with my own small person, I got this delightfully illustrated ("with new illustrations in full color") to share with my son. He wasn't quite as interested in the poems as he was in the Winnie-the-Pooh stories. I couldn't really blame him. I seem to remember being a bit disappointed that ther ...more
Aaron
Jul 07, 2010 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have this edition according to the ISBN (and cover art), however mine is a hardcover. A handwritten note inside indicates it was given to me in 1987 when I was 8.

This is probably the first book on philosophy I owned. I routinely brought this with me to my college US politics course; I believed it to be superior to the course textbook, and still do.

What have I learned from this book? That not only children are right to be curious, and trusting, and afraid, and imaginative, and disobediant. And
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Jul 07, 2010 Erin Reilly-Sanders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
Taking sometime this summer to go back and hit classics that I either didn't read or couldn't remember reading, I was excited to pick this one up after a recommendation from a friend. While I ordinarily wouldn't have chosen poetry for myself, I found myself utter charmed by the innocent beauty of the verses within. The book did have a little bit of trouble keeping my attention through a long silent read, but poetry really shouldn't be read silently or all at once from begining to end. The verses ...more
Taylor Jessen
Brief Review:
This book is a combination of A.A. Milne's 'When We Were Very Young' and 'Now We are Six'. These pages are packed full of timeless poems that children are sure to enjoy. The poems range in subject and length, and their fun rhymes make them very fun to read out loud.
Content Areas:
This book could be used as introduction to poetry for young children. It contains a variety of poems that slightly range in their difficulty, showing how in poems different vocabulary and sentence structur
Oceana2602
Jun 18, 2008 Oceana2602 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Utterly adorable, no matter how old you are. Like the Winnie-the-Pooh books, Milne's poems speak directly to our hearts. Funny, sometimes silly, thoughtful, sad (I always feel a little pang when I realize that I will never be that child again), wonderful.

I really hope you have a child you can read these to, it will be worth it. But if you don't, read them out loud yourself. In the morning before breakfast, during the two phone conferences you are having instead of lunch, at night before you go t
Stephen Stokes
Sep 07, 2016 Stephen Stokes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
These verses did not charm my adult self the way those of Lewis Carroll, Edward Lear, and Shell Silverstein have done. I would recommend those others over Milne's. His Winnie the Pooh stories are fantastic. But those who loved them are liable to be disappointed with this collection of poems. I would only recommend these for a very small child, but even then you should be able to find better stuff for that age level.
Rachel Rogers
Jun 16, 2014 Rachel Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute books of poetry, some lovely and lyrical, some rather odd. Wonderful imagery. Some relate back to Christopher Robin obviously (illustrations of Bear, Kanga, Eeyore, etc.) others are about growing up, imagining, learning, sleeping and other things children do. Read these to my daughter as she's struggling to fall asleep and they have become favorites.
Lindsey
Dec 14, 2008 Lindsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was reading this book to my daughter, and as I read I was reminded of my Grandma. Since most of you on my friends list are related to me...it just brought back neat memories of being at her house in New York and reading and coloring with her. I guess Winnie the Pooh will always be a little bit special.
Allyson
Jul 30, 2011 Allyson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually own these as two separate books, each one being a collection of verses. When I first read them, as a little girl, I was disappointed because they weren't stories about Winnie-the-Pooh. Once I understood that they weren't meant to be(!), I enjoyed reading the verses for A.A. Milne's simple and charming writing... and for the beginnings of a very special Bear.
Morgan
Oct 23, 2012 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Morgan by: Mom
Shelves: borrowed
As a whole this book is perfect for poetry lover and lovers of Pooh. I really find Milne's writing style cleaver and funny. One of the best children's authors. However, if you looking for a Pooh story this only has him in a few tales and it's mostly Christopher Robin and some other random characters.
Amy
Sep 26, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This book is a collection of poems that capture the magic of simple childhood wonders. My favorite poem in this book is called forgiven and is about a beetle named alexander escaping his matchbox after nanny went looking for a match. Read this book for a good dose nostalgia or to read to little ones or just for fun.
Gretchen
Sweet, child-friendly poems. My kids loved all the ones that featured Pooh and Christopher Robin and seemed to enjoy the rest, at least to a certain extent. My goal was simply to expose them to the rhythm of poetic language, and I think this was a good place to start. The poetry is lighthearted, fun, and full of simple, swinging rhythm. Illustrations are delightful.
Jacqueline Weishaar
This is hands down Elijah's favorite book at age 23 months. We read it cover to cover at least twice a day. The poems are both clever and endearing with charming illustrations accompanying each one. This should be in every child's library.
Joanna
Aug 31, 2012 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We loved these stories, my son and I, and he had an extensive set of stuffed friends for whom we had picnics. Bunny, Jordan's version of Winnie the Pooh Bear, was the guest of honor and we had more than one birthday party for him on the balcony!
Kyrie
Apr 01, 2011 Kyrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
It's a little sadder (to me) because Christopher Robin is growing up. That's not a bad thing. We all want our children to grow up, but it's still sad because well, it also means eventually he's going to outgrow his Hundred Acre Wood friends. Still, it's good.
Karrie Stewart
Jan 13, 2016 Karrie Stewart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such sweet children poems. I love the illustrations through out the book, especially non Disney Winne-the-Pooh.
Shoshana
Apr 26, 2008 Shoshana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Poetry as fabulous as Pooh. Pinkle Purr, and Alexander Beetle, and King John, and...
Lady Dixie
Just delightful.
Suzzanne
Dec 08, 2008 Suzzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids, homeschool
I loved this book when I was a kid and have a lot of the poems from it memorized. I am enjoying it all over again reading it with Korey and having him memorize.
Harry Burnside
A cute set of poems which have not dated, I suppose there are still those who have nannies to write about.
Liz
Mar 31, 2014 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
I have read this many times, and particularly enjoyed reading it when my sons were young. The poems delight the reader.
Rosemary Daly
Jan 20, 2013 Rosemary Daly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book of stories and rhymes for the very young (and young at heart!).
Helen
Second most favourite ever!
Elaine Moore
Jan 09, 2008 Elaine Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of my favorite books to read to kids from infancy to pre-school. Everytime it just as good and envokes such imagination and laughter.
Claire Hoipkemier
best birthday present a twenty year old ever received.
Gabbie
Aug 25, 2012 Gabbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! It's so cute!

Jen Jenson
Jan 17, 2013 Jen Jenson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ug, Finally! This book drove me nuts. So glad I finally finished!
Louise
"James James
Morrison Morrison
Weatherby George Dupree
Took great
Care of his Mother,
Though he was only three..."

Who doesn't love this stuff!!!
Nikki
Jun 05, 2008 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simple and sweet. And sometimes silly. I do like the illustrations. And oh, how proud I was when I was six and Mum gave me this book...!
Around the Year i...: The World of Christopher Robin, by A.A. Milne 1 11 Sep 25, 2016 03:46PM
  • Giant Treasury of Peter Rabbit
  • Pagoo
  • Favorite Poems of Childhood
  • Buffalo Bill
  • The Landing of the Pilgrims
  • All This And Snoopy, Too (Peanuts Coronet, #11)
  • Poetry for Young People: Emily Dickinson
  • I Saw Esau: The Schoolchild's Pocket Book
  • Poetry for Young People: Edgar Allan Poe
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Mother Goose Tales to Read Together
  • Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
  • Hans Andersen's Fairy Tales: Retold by Naomi Lewis
  • The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh: A Classic Disney Treasury
  • The Barbary Pirates
  • Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to Write a Poem
  • Double Trouble Squared
  • The Big Book for Peace
  • What You Know First (Trophy Picture Books)
Alan Alexander Milne (pronounced /ˈmɪln/) was an English author, best known for his books about the teddy bear Winnie-the-Pooh and for various children's poems.

A. A. Milne was born in Kilburn, London, to parents Vince Milne and Sarah Marie Milne (née Heginbotham) and grew up at Henley House School, 6/7 Mortimer Road (now Crescent), Kilburn, a small public school run by his father. One of his teac
More about A.A. Milne...

Winnie-the-Pooh (5 books)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh (Winnie-the-Pooh, #1)
  • The House at Pooh Corner (Winnie-the-Pooh, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
  • Now We Are Six (Winnie-the-Pooh, #4)
  • Winnie-the-Pooh and the Royal Birthday