Start by marking “Wolverine: Origins Vol. 4: Our War” as Want to Read:
Wolverine: Origins Vol. 4: Our War

Wolverine: Origins Vol. 4: Our War (Wolverine: Origins #4)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  440 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Wolverine's history with Captain America revealed In the early days of WWII, before America's "official" involvement in the war, Captain America, still wet behind the ears, embarked on a clandestine mission to the island nation of Madripoor. Guess who he met there? And guess what? It wasn't a coincidence. Wolverine: Origins #16-20 and Annual #1.
Published February 27th 2008 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Wolverine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolverine

Terence
Jan 10, 2016 Terence rated it liked it
"How the hell do you call yourself Captain America and not have people think it's a joke? But that's the thing though...it wasn't a joke. Steve Rogers was Captain America."

description

Our War continues Wolverine's trip down recently returned memories lane. This volume features Logan's first time meeting Captain America, Bucky, and Nick Fury.
description
It's mostly flashbacks, again.

I have to say I'm disappointed with Wolverine Origins overall so far. The series started with Wolverine doing things because of what happen
Anne
Dec 01, 2011 Anne rated it liked it

Probably would have rated it a bit higher, but the art really took something away from the story. At one point, I looked at Logan...and he had @$#!ing buckteeth . Why would you do that to the guy? I mean, he's already short! Now he needs braces, too?

The story itself was pretty good, though.

Just close your eyes and imagine a different artist...
Gavin
Apr 18, 2016 Gavin rated it really liked it
2nd read.

A love letter of reminiscence from Logan to Cap, after his murder marking the end of Civil War...tie ins to meeting first time, growing to like and respect him, also the uneasy relationship with Bucky, and meeting Fury for the first time. Nice to see things in a different light.
Arturo
Feb 24, 2014 Arturo rated it it was amazing
WWII tale, with Cap and Wolv and including Bucky showing what a bad ass he was.
The annual a tale of his past with Seraph and another teaser for Romulus.
Chompa
Apr 18, 2009 Chompa rated it really liked it
I'd read the individual issues a while back, but my son got this from the library and I reread it this morning. I really enjoyed this despite the liberties that Way took with the characters.

As is often the case, the characters overlap and connect in ways that are kind of over the top and at times contradict. In this case Logan and Cap meet in Madripoor in 1941, but later on he says he's been fighting with the Canadian forces in Europe since 1939. Bucky is a hard-ass intelligence agent and much
Silas
Apr 22, 2016 Silas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Other than the art style, which is consistently bad in this series, this was an enjoyable story. As a tie-in to Captain America's death at the end of the Civil War event, we have a story of Wolverine reminiscing about how he and Captain America first met during World War II. I appreciated how some of the flashbacks had an effect of mimicking the damaged paper of an old comic book. The story itself features a Wolverine who is not a nice man and a Captain America that hasn't yet come into his conf ...more
Adam
Oct 26, 2009 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I would have liked this more if a different artist had been involved. Steve Dillon's figures and compositions are really stiff, and all of his characters' faces look exactly the same. It's like Mr. Potato Head, where you stick different wigs, mustaches, and masks on the same model.
Brent
I always love Steve Dillon's art, and this is no exception.
This is a set of stories, mostly told in flashback, to a early adventure with Captain America, Bucky, Nick Fury, and the Black Widow. It's ok, but the storytelling and comic art is great.
Then there is a final story with art by Kaare Andrews, which is quite different in tone, though mostly successful on its own. I have mixed feelings about Andrews' art... It seems different every time, depending on the story. This one is just ok.

Mildly r
Jeff Lanter
May 27, 2015 Jeff Lanter rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is definitely the best story so far in the series. The setting and having Captain America plus Bucky certainly make it stand out. The question of Wolverine's intentions and who is manipulating him still loom large which helped keep this interesting too. I think the art in this volume is the best yet which maybe isn't saying a lot, but the improvement is appreciated. I'm not a huge Deadpool fan, but this series has been good so far so I'm curious to see how the next volume turns out.
Justin
May 14, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I saw a book with both Cap and Wolverine, I got really excited. Then I saw it was written by Daniel Way and I knew my excitement would be rewarded. While the story wasn't quite what I was expecting, it was still very entertaining. I especially enjoyed the moments when Wolverine reflects on how his experiences have changed his view of his past now that he remembers.
Christopher
Dec 26, 2015 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The series comes into its own here. It ties itself effectively into the greater marvel universe, and lays down some much needed backstory on Bucky that takes him away from the creepy and problematic child soldier narrative of the Timely Comics era. This would have been four or maybe five stars, if it weren't for the albatross around its neck, Dillon's art.
J.
Feb 19, 2012 J. rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I didn't think this book was quite as good as the previous volumes. Here, the main plotline runs against the death of Steve Rogers, so we go chasing Cap, Bucky, Fury, and Wolverine around WWII for a while. The discussion between Nick Fury and Captain America about the shield is completely priceless, though, and will remain one of my favorite comic-book moments.

Also: this book is collected in a strange order. The Annual at the end clearly goes somewhere between issue 1 and 4. I think between chap
B. Jay
Jan 12, 2010 B. Jay rated it liked it
The art and story struggle to make this "revisionist" story of Logan and Cap's first meeting entertaining, but ultimately fall short. Stories like this are all too predictable despite the twists forced onto the characters. The real suprise here is Bucky. The cover and other splash pages hint at a hardened edge of this pansy little character who turned Captain America into such a sop for so many years. The authors truly deliver- I've never seen (even in these Watchmen-esque retoolings) someone in ...more
Ivy
Apr 11, 2014 Ivy rated it it was amazing
Liked it a lot.
Karla
Apr 24, 2009 Karla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels, teens
Just what was going on with Captain America and his buddy Bucky during World War II? What part did Wolverine play in this patriotic, Nazi-killing mission? And just what is going on between Captain America and Bucky, anyway?

Readers of this compilation will enjoy stellar art, storytelling and intrigue. I was left wanting much more...
Ernest
Aug 07, 2011 Ernest rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There should have been much to like about the volume-three interesting and longstanding Marvel 616 characters and a look into their history which could impact on how their chronologically later stories and relationships could be viewed. However, I did not like the art too much and the story did not really have a lasting impact on me.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
Jul 02, 2012 Robert 'Rev. Bob' rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012, storage
Neat little story, even detached from the context of the rest of the Wolverine: Origins series. Two complaints, though. First, halfway through the book, Logan inexplicably switches from talking to the statue to talking to himself. Second, the art looks too "plastic" for a war story; it should have been grittier.
Jared
Apr 26, 2012 Jared rated it it was amazing
freakin' fantastic backstory to the 'history' of two of the most iconinc marvel characters to date. folks who've enjoyed the x-men movies....reading this series will give you a new appreciation for logan. more to him than what they ever managed to put on screen, i assure you.
Shannon Appelcline
Apr 26, 2013 Shannon Appelcline rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-marvel
Certainly better than the early issues. A nice integration of lots of history (though it's confusing at times). Even Dillon's art is better (though the sublime art of the annual shows what could have been).
Becky
Oct 28, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I'm still a bit confused about Bucky. I don't know what side he was on or if he was in charge, or what was going on. But otherwise it was a good comic. Very sad. Very painful.
Michael
Mar 02, 2010 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
At first, I thought a narrative including Captain America, Bucky, and Wolverine would be lame, but this is surprisingly fresh and violent (a repeating theme for Wolverine).
Nancy
May 27, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teens and over
Recommended to Nancy by: Marvel
I am a devoted die hard fan of the Wolverine. I was a bit dissapointed by the story..Captain America rocks but Even the graphics were not their usual standard.
Courtney (pirogoeth)
Oct 25, 2011 Courtney (pirogoeth) rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2011
I loved how we not only learned more about Logan, but got to see early Cap, Bucky, and Nick too. Love how Nick gets ideas for the future.
Anderson Gomez
wow i love comics and this book is good and it rockes this book is good for kids who like comic books and super heros
Bitey
Feb 14, 2011 Bitey rated it really liked it
Haha omg Bucky wants Captain America's Babies, I think. I loved this. XD
Miloš
Sep 01, 2013 Miloš rated it it was amazing
Story is really good, but drawings are quite lame...
Kwame Connor
Jan 13, 2013 Kwame Connor rated it it was amazing
Loved the Captain America back story
Lauren State
Lauren State marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Jorge Lopez
Jorge Lopez rated it liked it
May 21, 2016
  • Spider-Man: Election Day
  • World War Hulk: X-Men
  • Ultimate Galactus, Vol. 1: Nightmare
  • X-Force, Vol. 3: Not Forgotten

Wolverine: Origins (10 books)
  • Wolverine: Origins Vol. 1: Born in Blood