South of the Big Four

South of the Big Four

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The story of a man returning after many years to his family's abandoned farmhouse in Indiana reveals an American Midwest where community, trust, and commitment are no longer at the center and a way of life is rapidly disappearing.
Published June 1st 1995 by Chronicle Books (CA)

To ask other readers questions about South of the Big Four, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about South of the Big Four

Haven
The best novel ever written about Midwestern farm life. There simply is nothing better.
Candice
Wow, what a character. at first I am liking him, then unsure of him, then liking him again, then surprised by him, then confused about him...lol.....it was a fantastic book, the writer has a wonderful way of getting you to know this man at an incredible level. Arthur is so simple, and yet complex and comfortable as your favorite blanket. His friendship to his boss is nothing short of the true meaning OF friendship, I fell in love with each and every character. great job Mr. Kurtz, great job.
Ron
Set in the farmland of north central Indiana "South of the Big Four" tells the story of Haskell County, the farm people who live and work the land and their struggle to make a go of a disappearing way of life. The plot centers around a young farmhand named Arthur who returns from working the iron ore barges on the Great Lakes to take up planting and harvesting work as hired man for the County's most prosperous, but fading, grower and local politician Gerry Marrs. This is a well written story wit...more
Lori
Well-written character study of a young man who returns home to the family farm and the people and memories he left behind. We are at times charmed and confused by Arthur's actions or lack thereof. We see his love affair with the hardships of farming and his workaholic boss, Gerry Maars. At times it seems he is incapable of forming a lasting relationship, but it is the one with Gerry that remains a constant as he drifts through questionable love affairs without thought of the consequences. An in...more
Razz
A very slow starting book. But after awhile, I enjoyed the planting of soybeans and corn,.the weather that controls it (snow, heat) and the cost and upkeep of the trucks and combines, and the ability to change with the times as productivity and efficiency increases
with better machines. A good human interest story too: brother against brother, the lure of love and sex, old timers vs the young whippersnappers, and the incredible cost to those who farm a sometimes unforgivable land.
Eugene Smolenskiy
I loved how genuine this book feels. You can really tell that the author knows this way of living and has borne witness to its passing. This is by no means a fast-paced book; it forces you to take full stock of the time and place. I never thought I'd be interested in reading about the decline of family farming in rural, northern Indiana, but what captivated me is getting to experience a place so foreign, and a time so far removed from my own.
Zhaodan Kong
At a first glance, the novel is almost uneventful as the Indiana terrain. However, slowly but surely you can feel the decline of a way of life and the loss of innocence flowing out of the pages. The ending is also characteristically uneventful, with the two main characters, who could have symbolized the passing of the old-fashioned farming life, beaten and drained out of life. There doesn't seem to be a future for the young Arther unless he chooses to escape just as what Annie did.
Ellen Hampton
Lyrical writing, vivid characters, an intimate view of life in a small midwestern farming community. Don Kurtz made farming life feel as limited as the back 40, characters stuck in a life that repeats from generation to generation, and knowing little else, they remain in the cycle. It is who they are and who they will be. It reminded me of stories Gabriel Garcia Marquez likes to tell, minus the magic. But the characters are drawn with convincing detail that pulls the reader in and keeps you chee...more
Irene
Book about life on the farm. Main character could be exasperating at times and kind of a jerk, but all in all, good read. At times, it did drag on and it kind of left me feeling "what happens next", but I did enjoy reading about a very different lifestyle than what I have.
Marcleitson Leitson
Thoughtful characterization and tales of trying to farm with dignity.
Rose Abriani
Somewhat interesting if you know Indiana and farming. He was a hard working but un-affilitated guy. Wish he could have found someone or something to call his own.
Rose
Thoughtful character driven first novel about contemporary farming in the mid-west (Indiana). Liked this novel.
Jen
Years after reading this book, I recall it's simple elegance.
Gary
Gary is currently reading it
Sep 10, 2014
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Will Hough
Will Hough marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Aug 27, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Lori King
Lori King marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Diane Hawthorne
Diane Hawthorne marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Jeremy T
Jeremy T marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Alphonse Mucha: An American Collection Churchgoers Trails of the Guadalupes: A hiker's guide to the trails of Guadalupe Mountains National Park

“There are a lot of things that manage to get broken in a life, most of them never to be put back together again.” 0 likes