Start by marking “The 10th Kingdom” as Want to Read:
The 10th Kingdom

The 10th Kingdom

4.18  ·  Rating Details ·  2,782 Ratings  ·  206 Reviews
   Romance, deceit, heroism, lies, adventure, and true love -- just another day in the Big Apple? No way. Welcome to THE 10TH KINGDOM.

Suppose you were on your way to work. Not a great job, just one that pays the bills. And suddenly, you are in the middle of a fantastic adventure and running for your life.

You don't believe it could happen? Well, it could, and in THE 1
Mass Market Paperback, 479 pages
Published May 2nd 2000 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The 10th Kingdom, please sign up.

Lindsey This book is a novelization of the miniseries. It ends with the same scene--in Central Park after the coronation--as the final episode of the…moreThis book is a novelization of the miniseries. It ends with the same scene--in Central Park after the coronation--as the final episode of the miniseries.(less)

Susana
May 09, 2012 Susana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I WANT THE SECOND PART OF THIS STORY!!
DON'T MAKE ME GO TROLL ON YOU!!

3,5 stars

If i could rate the series, more accurately Simon Moore's screenplay, i would give it a five star rating!

This story at the time _ more than ten years ago _ rocked my world! LOL

Up until today, that miniseries is probably my all time favourite fantasy series!

The contemporary mixed with the fairy tales retellings, was right up my alley. The main couple was adorable, especially WOLF...the actor really did an amazing job!
Liana
Jul 15, 2008 Liana rated it liked it
Recommended to Liana by: Brother
The 10th Kingdom was actually a miniseries first, with this novel adaptation briefly printed as a pack-in for the boxed set. And while the film version is easily better than the book, that doesn't mean the book is terrible. After all, it features a hillarious and lovable cast of characters and an immersing fairy-tale plot that will satisfy hard core fantasy fans. But the writing in the book is more functional than poetic, and when there is a movie version out there, it doesn't make much sense no ...more
Morgan
Jun 02, 2009 Morgan rated it it was amazing
I was torn between 4 and 5 stars for this book, but the fact that I am pretty rabid to get my grabby hands on the mini series not to mention make icons pushes me over the edge.

Your standard normal girl finds herself thrown into a not-so-normal world and finds out that she is possibly more than the nobody she thought. Or something like that. ;)

The humor really endeared it to me as well.

A friend (Juushika) had mentioned this book on her journal, and quoted the same quote I am going to site below.
Margarita
Dec 09, 2013 Margarita rated it it was amazing
i have all the (3) movies
this isn't like any other fairy tale that you hear of
it actually has most of them combined
this has awesome characters
action
adventure that you wont expect
mirrors like other stories
a human wolf (that acts his part out really well)
and a lot more that you should read for yourselves
Melissa
I can still remember when i watched this series for the first time. It was on VHS, and it was around 11 at the time.
I actually just brought it again, but this time on dvd. It's been ages since i saw it last, but when i did re-watch it this time, i realized how much i had missed it and i just fell in love with it over-again.

On tv now, there is Once Upon a Time. T10K has been closely linked with OUAT, saying it's the same, but it really isn't. You watch once upon a time, and it all fake with the
Stacie (MagicOfBooks)
"The 10th Kingdom" is the best miniseries EVER! No other miniseries compares.

Anyway, I saw this book at a used bookstore and I got it. Overall, the book is exactly like the miniseries: Virgina and Tony get trapped in the 9 Kingdoms and they have to save Prince Wendell while also try and find their way back home. Plus, adorable Wolf/Virginia romance, yah! A lot of the dialogue is word for word. What I did find interesting was that the book contained a lot of scenes that were either deleted, exten
Cheryl Gatling
Cute. Fluffy. Silly. That's what I thought when I started to read this book. I picked it up at the used book sale without knowing anything about it. Turns out it's a "novelization" of a TV miniseries. The show came first, and the book after. A magic mirror allows people to pass between the fairy tale world and New York City. Some trolls, a prince in the shape of a dog, and a humanoid wolf come into New York. They take back with them the bumbling super of an apartment building (Tony) and his wait ...more
Deni Johansson
Aug 20, 2008 Deni Johansson rated it it was amazing
I was looking for something along the line of Princess Bride, and I found this-- though set in modern day New York. It has lots of twists and turns and more humor. The movie is pretty good, too.

Sydney
Jan 06, 2015 Sydney rated it it was amazing
BY FAR ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS.
Sepideh Dehghani
3.5 ⭐ ...more
Leenchen
Sep 30, 2011 Leenchen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Einzelner, in sich abgeschlossener Roman!

Das Zehnte Königreich basiert auf einer vierteiligen TV-Serie, die in den USA sehr erfolgreich war und zu Weihnachten 2001 erstmals im deutschen Fernsehen ausgestrahlt wurde.

Inhalt: In dieser Geschichte geht es vor allem um eine Reise und die damit einhergehenden Veränderungen, Erkenntnissen und Abenteuer. Virginia, ihr Vater Toni treffen auf den verzauberten Prinzen Wendell (Hund) und dem Mischling Wolf. Von Trollen, Jägermann und der bösen Stiefmutter v
Tina ♥ Bookaholic

Meine Meinung:
Ich weiß, einige möchten mich jetzt sicher lynchen, weil sie dieses Buch lieben und nicht verstehen, dass es mir leider nicht so ging. Zu meiner Verteidigung – ich wollte es auch lieben, aber die ständigen Sichtweisenwechsel haben es mir schwer gemacht eine Verbindung zu den Charakteren aufzubauen oder in die Handlung einzutauchen.
Vor allem hat es mich gestört, dass auch oft aus der Sichtweise des lahmarschigen Vaters oder von den Bösen gesch
Angie Rhodes
Aug 30, 2013 Angie Rhodes rated it it was amazing
I read this, after watching the series on Sky. and it is a really good read,
A very different take on all the fairy stories, we listened to and read, as children.
Nothing is as it seems
If you like the series, Grimm., and Once Upon a Time, then this is the book, you will want to read, A young woman, and father, are transported. by accident, while looking for their missing mother, and wife, to a the land of Fairy Tales, the 10th Kingdom!!!
While traveling through the Kingdom, they come upon, A Bi
Dominique
I'd actually only give it 2.5 stars. I absolutely love the mini-series, but this just didn't do it justice. While it is largely the same, I found many of the small changes unnecessary, and jarring. I did not enjoy the writing, and the parts the author came up with on their own (i.e. the characters' inner monologues) seemed very one-dimensional. I did not feel they managed to capture the essence of the characters at all. As a huge fan of "the 10th Kingdom", it was still an enjoyable read, but the ...more
Ellana-san
I loved it on TV and I loved it even more on paper. I really, really love this story. We tend to forget that original fairy tales are sometimes cruel and that the ending is not always as happy as can be. I love the world that is created here, those Nine Kingdoms are each special in their way. I'm particularly fond of Snow White and Cinderella and their status of legend for their people. As to the different characters, I think I'm in love with Wolf and Prince Wendell both. Virginia is sometimes a ...more
Bad
Apr 29, 2008 Bad rated it it was amazing
I really love fairytales, so this book satisfied me completely. I had seen the movie on Hallmark (and now own it) and that is why I purchased the novel. The writing isn't prize-worthy (as with any book based on a movie), but if you love fairytales like me, this will do it for you. I will certainly read this again in the future. For me it's a feel-good book, with wonderful, quirky characters. It is a novel with dark and light sides, and a well balanced one at that.
Deidre(Dee) ~ Official Bookworm ~
The 10th Kingdom is a contemporary drama, set in a world where fairy tales, folklore, and traditional myths come to life. This story follows the fortunes of Virginia, and her father Tony, who unwittingly find themselves in the fantasy world of The Nine Kingdoms, where they must save a prince from the clutches of his evil stepmother, and restore him to the throne.
Shelley Murray
In the reverse of what is normally true, this is a novelization of the movie The 10th Kingdom (rather than being the book the movie was based on). Much of the dialogue is word for word, but I think I might have a slight preference for the book because my brain makes Wolf MUCH more suave and debonair then the people who made the movie did. I lurve Wolf. =)
Pamela
Dec 19, 2007 Pamela rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
This is a novelization, which I usually avoid like the plague, but I adore the miniseries, so I thought I'd give it a try. As far as novelizations go, it's not bad. The writing could use some serious polishing, but it gives some nice insight into the story, and it's a fun read.
Whitney
Jun 18, 2015 Whitney rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An almost exact adaptation of the miniseries. I only bought this because I loved the show so much.
Stephanie
May 24, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it
Recommended to Stephanie by: Naomi S.
   This is a book adaptation of a screenplay/television mini-series of the same name, which came out around the year 2000 – as is evidenced by the image on the front of the book, with the Twin Towers prominently front and center. I first watched “The 10th Kingdom” around 2012 or so, and enjoyed it. It played with classic fairy-tale tropes in a way that was different from what I was used to, and I really enjoyed watching it on-screen.

Having enjoyed the series so, I picked up the book from a re
Apr 24, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it
A hilarious light-hearted read.
Jen
Jun 07, 2017 Jen rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a novelization of a miniseries TV show, and from what I can remember of the show, this book of course follows it very well.

I had forgotten how creepy Wolf is. This is yet another book/show where obsession is treated as great romance. Sure, he can sometimes be a funny character and he has a few sweet moments, but he's also an extremely problematic character. Virginia is very much an object to him (the exact type of objectification ranging from sexual object to food source, as he is still
Ashley McCartney
Jun 04, 2017 Ashley McCartney rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with this mini-series years ago. I picked up the book and found myself wrapped back in the story.
I absolutely love when a long book keeps my interest till the end with twists, turns, and surprises.
I only hated that the story ended. Not being able to find a book two or continuation left me a little let down. There was so much potential for furthering the story.
MomhieKHIM
Jul 06, 2017 MomhieKHIM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr
3.5 star- I like it 👍but I am more into young adult,new adult novel that's why it took forever to me to finish this 😜, However This book is good for grown-up & children alike..easy and fast read 😊 i#the10thkingdom

Lindsay Rose
Jan 14, 2017 Lindsay Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novelization of The 10th Kingdom is an easy read that is pleasant and a refreshing take on the "fairy tale." The modern elements and attitudes of Virginia and Tony put an interesting twist on the fantastical journey they find themselves on. And while the authors do take some artistic license, particularly in regards to character thoughts and actions, the novel does follow the plot of the television miniseries closely and thoroughly. Fans of The 10th Kingdom miniseries will find themselves pl ...more
LaBibliodeCaro
Mar 09, 2017 LaBibliodeCaro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Tenth Kingdom is one of my favourite fantasy books. It’s based on a successful Hallmark mini-series. Famous fairytales, myths and legends are revisited in this captivating story where magic and reality merges beautifully.
The characters are very endearing, the intrigue is action-packed, and carefully sprinkled with a lovely sense of humour. Will Virginia and her father manage to find the traveling mirror to return to New York? Can they defeat the Evil Queen and help Wendell take his throne ba
Samie Foster
Aug 02, 2013 Samie Foster rated it it was amazing
The 10th Kingdom By Kathryn Wesely Smoothie Review

When it comes to films and television, I’m pretty a big fantasy junkie. Tin Man Alice, Neverland, Grimm, Once Upon a Time, Stardust. I can’t get enough. But somehow I managed to miss one. It is a ten year old miniseries that was called the 10th Kingdom. How it got by me? I’m not sure. And even though I can’t find the DVD at the moment, I managed to find the book.

So what is The 10th Kingdom? Well in the book, the 10th kingdom is our world. Thoug
Amanda
May 18, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
After having just re-read this and watched the miniseries I feel that a review is in order!

The 10th Kingdom is a fantasy drama that incorporates the known and beloved Grimm's Fairy Tales along with modern New York. The story begins with two separate plot lines of Virginia and Tony in New York and Prince Wendell in the 4th Kingdom in a different (maybe parallel) universe which inevitably intertwine to tell the story of the 10th Kingdom.

The story opens with Virginia Lewis and her father, Tony who
Hareton
Worum es geht:

Virginia fährt mit dem Fahrrad auf dem Weg zur Arbeit einen Hund um. Dieser entpuppt sich als Prinz Wendell, der vor Trollen und einem Wolf geflüchtet ist und dabei durch einen Spiegel fiel. Seine böse Stiefmutter hat ihren Hund in seinen Körper verpflanzt und versucht damit nun, die 9 Königreiche einzunehmen. Virginia und ihr Vater Tony müssen sie aufhalten, sonst ist die Märchenwelt verloren.

Meine Meinung:

Ich mag dieses Buch wirklich gerne. Wer wollte nicht schon immer wissen, wi
  • The Dark Crystal
  • Forget You (Demon Underground #4.5)
  • Willow
  • Sabrina the Teenage Witch (Sabrina the Teenage Witch, #1)
  • Dream of Me
  • Love Can Be Murder
  • Blart: The Boy Who Was Wanted Dead Or Alive   Or Both (Blart #2)
  • Shadow of Oz
  • Roses and Black Glass: a dark Cinderella tale
  • The Goblins of Labyrinth
  • Refine (House of Oak, #4)
  • Bodies of Work: An Avondale Story
  • The Wanted: Our Story, Our Way: 100% Official
  • Rosen und Seifenblasen (Verliebt in Serie, #1)
  • Bewitching the Knight
  • The Farthest-Away Mountain
  • Once Upon a Time is Now (The Grimm Curse #1)
  • The Broken Sword (Forever King, #2)
Kristine Kathryn Rusch and Dean Wesley Smith use the common pseudonym “Kathryn Wesley” for a part of their collaborative works.

More about Kathryn Wesley...

“I often think, why did I let her in? Didn't I know she was bad? And I did, of course I did, but I also knew that I couldn't keep that door shut all my life, just because it was dangerous, just because there was a chance of getting hurt.” 36 likes
“Obedience is not a virtue. I wanted to please everyone but myself, and I had to lose everything to learn that lesson. For my pride I had to lie in a glass coffin for twenty years to learn my lesson. By the time I was released, I understood. My husband was a good man, but he did not rescue me. I rescued myself.” 15 likes