Start by marking “Mermaids Singing” as Want to Read:
Mermaids Singing

Mermaids Singing

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  152 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A desperate childhood. An uncertain past. One chance at happiness ...

Born into poverty and living under the roof of her violent and abusive brother-in-law, young Kitty Cox dreams of working in a women's dress shop in the West End - a million miles away from the reality of her life as a mud-lark, scavenging on the banks of the Thames.

Fate soon intervenes and Kitty finds her
Published April 20th 2006 by Arrow (first published December 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Mermaids Singing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaids Singing

Oh I could poke Dilly Court in the eye!

I want to give her more than a 3 but I just cant.

I love Dilly's books. I really do. The genre is one of my favorites and she is one of the best at putting it across (not quite on the level of Audrey Howard though) The world she transports you into is more familiar with each book. Her stories are always well told, I love her writing style. Mermaids Singing is just as much a page turner as the others I have read. I consumed it with great gusto.

BUT and its a g
I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did, and I only read it as it was the only book I had't read so far. So I was surprised to really, really loved this book and I've just finished re-reading it.

All the characters had their good and bad points, and I think that throughout the book you get to understand the motives behind all the characters actions. Speaking of said characters, I loved Kitty the main character, she was refreshing as she thought for herself and didn't let any
Anna Carrie
Dilly Court has a fabulous way of setting a scene and keeping the audience firmly grounded in time and place. The attention to detail without bogging down a scene is fabulous and it one of the things that first drew me to her novel Mermaids Singing. Unfortunately there is a "however" i must insert here. However, there were significant lapses in story arc and point of view that were frustrating to me as a reader. I am aware that this novel is not intended to be "literary" fiction and it to be a q ...more
Shelley Dean
I liked this book, I read it straight through only stopping to eat and drink and go to the toilet. I found it interesting with little twists throughout. I'm giving it 4 stars though because it isn't a book that I feel will stay with me forever, it was nice and enjoyable but the story line is leaving me and I have no desire to reread it.
It's a shame when a good book goes bad. I just knew I would give this book 4 stars, but it was not to be. I really wanted to give it 2.5 stars.

The books was quite good until around page 180. I enjoyed Kitty's story for the most part, though I hated her brother-in-law with every ounce of my soul. I thought the assault scenes against Kitty were too graphic, and should have been toned down; Kitty was only 14 the first time around, and it really bothered me that the author was so detailed.
I don't wa
Started slow, and I wasn't sure I was going to like it. But once I got into it, it was really good. Twists and turns, ups and downs, I never knew what was going to happen next. While it was a bit unrealistic (would Kitty really have gone from the slums to scullery maid to nanny to modiste so quickly?), it was still a good story. I was disappointed in the ending - it seemed rushed, and not fully finished. I was left wanting to know more, and some storylines weren't concluded. Overall, I enjoyed i ...more
Kellie Mackrell
Started but no appeal, will not be finishing
A Novel Idea
May 06, 2015 A Novel Idea added it
Shelves: requests
Requested by Sharon Govender
Molly Guy
This has to be one of the best Dilly Court books written, it has so much edge and woman with strong will, i really admired the characters even bad-tempered Bella's mother of who's name i have actually forgotton (woops), I would love Dilly to make a follow on to this book and hope dearly she will.
Angel Serrano
En el final del siglo XIX y comienzos del XX la vida en Londres no es fácil para los pobres del East-End. Pero las mujeres llevan la peor parte: hambre, pobreza, trabajo de esclavos, violencia y desesperanza. Kitty luchará para alcanzar su sueño en el West-End.
Great read. Not sure if I would agreed with other reviewers that this book should have a follow up but I could see this being made into a great drama for the television.
Love dilly court books.really good story about disappointed with the ending.but love the style of writing of this author.great storyteller.
Jul 17, 2012 Kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This was the first book I've read by Dilly Court. It was very enjoyable and I look forward to discovering more of her work.
Enjoyed this but felt like there should be a follow up to it
Couldn't put it down once started, very enjoyable but sad in parts.
Again, a wonderful book by Dilly Court
cockney saga brill loved it couldnt put down
Xondra Day
Xondra Day marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Jilli Rathbone
Jilli Rathbone marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Beks marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Liette marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Joy Gunderson suski
Joy Gunderson suski marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
Ashley marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Niki marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015
Leigh marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Girl From World's End
  • Spitfire Girl
  • The Grafton Girls (World War II, #3)
  • The Journey
  • The Narrowboat Girl
  • Hope
  • The Nightingale Girls (Nightingales #1)
  • Katie Mulholland.
  • Always on my mind
  • The Flowers Of The Field
  • Village Matters (Tales from Turnham Malpas #3)
  • The Ravenscar Dynasty
  • In Time For Christmas
  • The Painter's Apprentice
Dilly Court grew up in North-east London and began her career in television, writing scripts for commercials. She is married with two grown-up children and four grandchildren, and now lives in Dorset on the beautiful Jurassic Coast with her husband. She is the author of seventeen novels and also writes under the name of Lily Baxter.
More about Dilly Court...