Start by marking “Mermaid Forest, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Mermaid Forest, Volume 1

Mermaid Forest, Volume 1 (Mermaid Saga #1)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  388 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Legend has it that if a human eats a mermaid's flesh, they will be granted eternal life. But is that a blessing or a curse? Immortal lovers Yuta and Mana travel through Japan and the centuries longing for a normal life. On their journey, they meet others who have consumed the flesh of a mermaid in hope of becoming immortal. But the powerful substance affects each person di ...more
Published December 6th 1994 by Viz Media (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Mermaid Forest, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaid Forest, Volume 1

Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian HearnBrilliance of the Moon by Lian HearnThe Butterfly Crest by Eva VanrellGrass for His Pillow by Lian HearnThe Harsh Cry of the Heron by Lian Hearn
Fiction Based in Japanese Mythology
14th out of 32 books — 16 voters
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenKafka on the Shore by Haruki MurakamiThe Tale of Genji by Murasaki ShikibuThe Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki MurakamiShōgun by James Clavell
Japanese Fiction
127th out of 246 books — 142 voters

More lists with this book...

Courtney Wells
Rumiko Takahashi HAUNTED me with this story and how melancholy/horrific immortality could be. It was an astonishing contrast to her humor and whimsy I read in Ranma 1/2 or romamce of Maison Ikkoku but sold me on how she can do it all as a writer.
Marielle
It's been years since I read anything by Rumiko Takahashi. My only real manga experience with her is Ranma 1/2, which is a comedy about a young man who is cursed to turn into a woman when he hits cold water.

Meanwhile, volume 1 of Mermaid Saga sets the stage for a series of macabre tales that pervert the Hans-Christian-Anderson ideas about merfolk and set them as blood-thirsty monsters -- whose flesh can grant immortality to certain humans who dare consume it. The main story follows Yuta, a youn
Starbubbles
even though i have to go to specialized comic book store to get this series, and every time i go they do not have book one so i can start the series properly, it will be read. i can tell it's a great series, and with it only being 4 books, it will be owned by me. mwahaha!
in all seriousness, i have been wanting to read this series since christmas, but since book one never seems to be in stock, i always end up getting other series that i have already started.

so, i found it, all of it at half pric
Lauren
A different view of the typical mermaids we envision. Most of the mermaids have these freaky, I-just-rose-from-hell faces. Everyone wants to consume mermaid meat in this story and yet only a few humans are able to receive it properly--for them to become immortal. The rest/majority fall victim to a mermaid curse where their faces turn into those of the evil, nasty mermaids. For librarians and parents: there are amounts of above-the-waist nudity as well as violence (i.e. pushing a spear out of a m ...more
*Queen Diva*
I know Takahashi-san is a well known and loved mangaka... I've only read Ranma 1/2 and have seen a few episodes of Inuyasha. I really loved Ranma in the beginning but it got really obnoxious and so drawn out I started to lose interest in it. That really has nothing to do with this series other than I was a bit surprised to see it was rather series and a little dark.

I liked it. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I like how the mermaids are good and are kind of scary and gross.

I'm curious to see
Abby Ang
Takahashi should do more horror
Heli Miranda ahumada
Muy entretenido, me gusta como toma el "espiritu japones" en la psique de sus personajes.
Holly
Not that great. Eating the mermaids was not what I thought this was going to be about.
Anna
Great series of snapshot-type short stories following a guy trying to break his curse of immortality. More serious than Takahashi's usual romantic comedies and action manga. Good visual storytelling, with some very touching (happy and sad) moments.
Anna
The core of the story is creepy, and it gets violent and bloody.. but Rumiko-sensei keeps the violence non-graphic. Oh sure, Yuta bleeds out every chapter, but there's no insides hanging or anything
Tim
One of the best manga series that I have read, I really liked how Takahashi reimagined mermaids from the Little Mermaid people-with-fish-tails image to something that is truely unhuman.
Kelsey_jane
This is a very intriguing series. Each book from this series is filled with interesting stories and some can give you quite a chill.
Lord
Probably the best series from Rumiko Takahashi. Dark, inventive story that is not painfully long. And nice art, of course.
C
Nice macabre twist from Takahashi's usual comedy/romantic comedy style.
Lori
To be reviewed for April 2011 Manga Movable Feast
Mette Kowalski
Good, but I don't like the drawing style.
Pein
Pein marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Cláudia Costa
Cláudia Costa marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Rachel
Rachel added it
Dec 04, 2014
Megan Zhang
Megan Zhang marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
MFCOMMAND
MFCOMMAND marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • Shirahime-Syo: Snow Goddess Tales
  • Ceres, Celestial Legend: Hagoromo (Ceres, Celestial Legend #14)
  • The Cain Saga, Volume 4: The Seal of the Red Ram, Part 1
  • Vampire Princess Miyu, Vol. 01
  • Doll, Volume 1
Rumiko Takahashi (高橋 留美子) was born in Niigata, Japan. She is not only one of the richest women in Japan but also one of the top paid manga artists. She is also the most successful female comic artist in history. She has been writing manga non-stop for 31 years.

Rumiko Takahashi is one of the wealthiest women in Japan. The manga she creates (and its anime adaptations) are very popular in the United
More about Rumiko Takahashi...
InuYasha: Turning Back Time (InuYasha, #1) Ranma ½, Vol. 1 (Ranma ½ (US 2nd), #1) InuYasha Ani-Manga, Vol. 1 (Inuyasha Ani-Manga, #1) InuYasha: Family Matters (InuYasha, #2) InuYasha: Good Intentions (InuYasha, #3)