Start by marking “A Way of Life: An Address to Yale Students, Sunday Evening, April 20,1913” as Want to Read:
A Way of Life: An Address to Yale Students, Sunday Evening, April 20,1913

A Way of Life: An Address to Yale Students, Sunday Evening, April 20,1913

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
By William Osler. With a Foreword by John P. McGovern. "Ours is a world that has multiplied in complexity beyond anything dreamed in Osler's day. Tension and anxiety, uncertainty and stress are the inevitable result of our civilizations' rapid advance, mental and emotional ills its hallmarks . . . contemporary man desperately needs to learn the lesson of 'sufficient unto t ...more
Published June 1st 1969 by Charles C Thomas Pub Ltd (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about A Way of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Way of Life

Kevin Keating
Feb 04, 2016 Kevin Keating rated it it was amazing
I got this little book off my mom's bookcase a long time ago. Full of lots of advice on how to live one day at a time, and to mind your health. Relax and chill. Be good. That sort of stuff. It was an uplifting read which I will probably give to my eldest so she can guiltily keep it on her shelf for years and eventually read.
Tasia
There are some bits of advice and wording that are antiquated, such as references to a mystic East and an exclusive concentration on men's roles in academia and the larger world, but all in all, this speech contains very sound advice. My favorite section addressed the college student's need for constant hurry, something which only breeds anxiety. Now we see this as almost asinine: our world requires the ability to provide instant satisfaction and to hurry. But, especially in these modern times, ...more
David Weller
Feb 11, 2016 David Weller rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young adults
Aj
Mar 11, 2014 Aj rated it liked it
A bit dated in parts, but contains some solid advice. Particularly like Oslers thoughts on habit and learning.
John Stinebaugh
Nov 05, 2015 John Stinebaugh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good brief reminder on the steps to excellence.
Willa
Jun 04, 2009 Willa rated it really liked it
My father received this book as he was going into his second year of medical school. It's a short book, a talk to students at Yale given by Sir William Osler the distinguished Canadian physician. Reading it, I can see how some of the thoughts in the address permeated my father's life.
Maha Saliba
Sep 23, 2013 Maha Saliba rated it liked it
chemical links,,an all of emotions ,,biorythmic curves,,biological time,,deep souls,,one in all and all in one ,,ill without desease,, medicines without diagnosis,,that` s me that`s what medical research is still look to solve it...

Erika
May 21, 2008 Erika rated it it was amazing
The best commencement speech, and one to which I actually paid attention!
Boris Tizenberg
Boris Tizenberg rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Lulu
Lulu marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Spage
Spage marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Alexa Burks
Alexa Burks marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Alex
Alex added it
Apr 07, 2016
Touhid Kamal
Touhid Kamal marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Nur Najah
Nur Najah marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Rajasana
Rajasana marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Johanna
Johanna marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
A.soorianarayanan
A.soorianarayanan marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Ida Aasebøstøl
Ida Aasebøstøl marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Omar Said
Omar Said marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Tanya Gordon
Tanya Gordon marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Elizabeth Allen
Elizabeth Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Constance
Constance rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Patricia Workman
Patricia Workman is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2016
Charles Runels
Charles Runels rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Dec 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Europe's Inner Demons: The Demonization of Christians in Medieval Christendom
  • Doctors: The Biography of Medicine
  • Why We Believe What We Believe: Uncovering Our Biological Need for Meaning, Spirituality, and Truth
  • Fire in the Brain: Clinical Tales of Hallucination
  • Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
  • Maps of the Mind
  • A Primer of Drug Action
  • Cleansing the Doors of Perception: The Religious Significance of Entheogenic Plants and Chemicals
  • The Problem Of The Soul Two Visions Of Mind And How To Reconcile Them
  • The Ethics of Star Trek
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • When Germs Travel: Six major epidemics that have invaded America since 1900 and the fears they have unleashed
  • The Metaphysics of Star Trek
  • An Experiment with Time
  • Lost and Philosophy: The Island Has Its Reasons
  • What Doctors Feel: How Emotions Affect the Practice of Medicine
  • Muses, Madmen, and Prophets: Rethinking the History, Science, and Meaning of Auditory Hallucination
  • Taking the Red Pill: Science, Philosophy & Religion in The Matrix