Start by marking “A Way of Life: An Address to Yale Students, Sunday Evening, April 20,1913” as Want to Read:
A Way of Life: An Address to Yale Students, Sunday Evening, April 20,1913

A Way of Life: An Address to Yale Students, Sunday Evening, April 20,1913

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  56 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
By William Osler. With a Foreword by John P. McGovern. "Ours is a world that has multiplied in complexity beyond anything dreamed in Osler's day. Tension and anxiety, uncertainty and stress are the inevitable result of our civilizations' rapid advance, mental and emotional ills its hallmarks . . . contemporary man desperately needs to learn the lesson of 'sufficient unto t ...more
Published June 1st 1969 by Charles C Thomas Pub Ltd (first published 1921)

To ask other readers questions about A Way of Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Way of Life

Kevin Keating
Feb 04, 2016 Kevin Keating rated it it was amazing
I got this little book off my mom's bookcase a long time ago. Full of lots of advice on how to live one day at a time, and to mind your health. Relax and chill. Be good. That sort of stuff. It was an uplifting read which I will probably give to my eldest so she can guiltily keep it on her shelf for years and eventually read.
Tasia
There are some bits of advice and wording that are antiquated, such as references to a mystic East and an exclusive concentration on men's roles in academia and the larger world, but all in all, this speech contains very sound advice. My favorite section addressed the college student's need for constant hurry, something which only breeds anxiety. Now we see this as almost asinine: our world requires the ability to provide instant satisfaction and to hurry. But, especially in these modern times, ...more
Aj
Mar 11, 2014 Aj rated it liked it
A bit dated in parts, but contains some solid advice. Particularly like Oslers thoughts on habit and learning.
John Stinebaugh
Nov 05, 2015 John Stinebaugh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good brief reminder on the steps to excellence.
Willa
Jun 04, 2009 Willa rated it really liked it
My father received this book as he was going into his second year of medical school. It's a short book, a talk to students at Yale given by Sir William Osler the distinguished Canadian physician. Reading it, I can see how some of the thoughts in the address permeated my father's life.
Maha Saliba
Sep 23, 2013 Maha Saliba rated it liked it
chemical links,,an all of emotions ,,biorythmic curves,,biological time,,deep souls,,one in all and all in one ,,ill without desease,, medicines without diagnosis,,that` s me that`s what medical research is still look to solve it...

Erika
May 21, 2008 Erika rated it it was amazing
The best commencement speech, and one to which I actually paid attention!
Ian Donnelly
Ian Donnelly marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Ida Aasebøstøl
Ida Aasebøstøl marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Omar Said
Omar Said marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Tanya Gordon
Tanya Gordon marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Elizabeth Allen
Elizabeth Allen marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Constance
Constance rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Patricia Workman
Patricia Workman is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2016
Charles Runels
Charles Runels rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2016
Dr B E Loughran
Dr B E Loughran rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2015
Mesa
Mesa added it
Dec 15, 2015
Sridhar
Sridhar marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Asim
Asim marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
Waj Ali
Waj Ali marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Galicius
Galicius rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
Kristofor Berner
Kristofor Berner marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Nick
Nick added it
Oct 31, 2015
avid reader
avid reader rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Pamela Parson
Pamela Parson marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
John Riddle,
John Riddle, rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Clayton
Clayton is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2015
Amy Suzanne
Amy Suzanne marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Jim Wood
Jim Wood marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Europe's Inner Demons: The Demonization of Christians in Medieval Christendom
  • Doctors: The Biography of Medicine
  • Why We Believe What We Believe: Uncovering Our Biological Need for Meaning, Spirituality, and Truth
  • Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
  • Fire in the Brain: Clinical Tales of Hallucination
  • Maps of the Mind
  • When Germs Travel: Six major epidemics that have invaded America since 1900 and the fears they have unleashed
  • The Problem Of The Soul Two Visions Of Mind And How To Reconcile Them
  • The Ethics of Star Trek
  • A Primer of Drug Action
  • Cleansing the Doors of Perception: The Religious Significance of Entheogenic Plants and Chemicals
  • William Osler: A Life in Medicine
  • Muses, Madmen, and Prophets: Rethinking the History, Science, and Meaning of Auditory Hallucination
  • The Metaphysics of Star Trek