Start by marking “Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1

Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1 (Mermaid Saga #1)

From the creator of InuYasha!Eating the flesh of a mermaid grants eternal life. But living forever can be a blessing or a curse. Immortal lovers Yuta and Mana are relatively lucky… others who partake of the mermaid’s flesh are transformed into savage lost souls!
Published July 14th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mermaid Saga, Vol. 1

Fun Home by Alison BechdelNimona by Noelle StevensonThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane SatrapiHyperbole and a Half by Allie BroshAnya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Comics & Graphic Novels by Women
87th out of 664 books — 769 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
245th out of 859 books — 3,279 voters

More lists with this book...

Courtney Wells
Rumiko Takahashi HAUNTED me with this story and how melancholy/horrific immortality could be. It was an astonishing contrast to her humor and whimsy I read in Ranma 1/2 or romamce of Maison Ikkoku but sold me on how she can do it all as a writer.
Akemi G
The haunting story of immortality, originally published from 1984-94. There are books (including novels) that tell the problems of immortality, but Takahashi describes them in such a lyrical and sad (and, yes, grotesque) way. I read the series in the original Japanese some time ago, and while all the volumes in the series are excellent, the first volume (to my memory) which involves an old doctor and his young-looking love was most memorable. Such a heart-wrenching love story!

Takahashi is one o
Quang Khuê
Feb 27, 2016 Quang Khuê rated it really liked it
Đỉnh. Bậc nhất của sự huyền hoặc. Nếu đọc toàn bộ truyện, bạn sẽ có đủ một tiệc cá bảy món, không sót một cái xương.
Francine
Nov 27, 2016 Francine rated it it was amazing
Wholly original; I've never read anything quite like this.
Lara

Review for complete series

Yuta travels across Japan in search for people like him – people who have gained immortality through the flesh of a mermaid. His search has proven fruitless for 500 years for only one in a thousand will survive the poison of mermaid flesh. Finally, he meets Mana; she too has eaten the flesh and together they travel to find a way to become mortals again.

I have rather mixed feelings about this one. I think the first thought that comes to mind is that I really liked Yuta
Natalie
I'm a big fan of Rumiko Takahashi. I absolutely love Inuyasha, and really enjoyed Ranma 1/2 and Maison Ikkoku. I have been meaning to read Mermaid Forest for some time, but just haven't gotten around to it. It most certainly has the supernatural vibe and gore of Inuyasha. I read through this rather quickly, because I wanted to see the development between the two main characters, Yuka and Mana. I have a feeling that watching the anime will flesh out certain details and relationships that didn't ...more
Sheila Garcia
Dec 05, 2015 Sheila Garcia rated it really liked it
*Review is for the entire Mermaid Saga series*

Mermaid Saga was written over the course of many years: one chapter here, and one chapter there. Therefore, since it was not a constant publication, Takahashi did not face the same pressures that she did with many of her other works wherein she had to publish the next installment before a deadline. This translated into a very concise and well written short manga that properly does its job of offering the reader a glimpse into the strange and ultimat
Starbubbles
Jun 08, 2009 Starbubbles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
even though i have to go to specialized comic book store to get this series, and every time i go they do not have book one so i can start the series properly, it will be read. i can tell it's a great series, and with it only being 4 books, it will be owned by me. mwahaha!
in all seriousness, i have been wanting to read this series since christmas, but since book one never seems to be in stock, i always end up getting other series that i have already started.

so, i found it, all of it at half pric
Marielle
Apr 06, 2010 Marielle rated it liked it
It's been years since I read anything by Rumiko Takahashi. My only real manga experience with her is Ranma 1/2, which is a comedy about a young man who is cursed to turn into a woman when he hits cold water.

Meanwhile, volume 1 of Mermaid Saga sets the stage for a series of macabre tales that pervert the Hans-Christian-Anderson ideas about merfolk and set them as blood-thirsty monsters -- whose flesh can grant immortality to certain humans who dare consume it. The main story follows Yuta, a youn
Lauren
Jan 02, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
A different view of the typical mermaids we envision. Most of the mermaids have these freaky, I-just-rose-from-hell faces. Everyone wants to consume mermaid meat in this story and yet only a few humans are able to receive it properly--for them to become immortal. The rest/majority fall victim to a mermaid curse where their faces turn into those of the evil, nasty mermaids. For librarians and parents: there are amounts of above-the-waist nudity as well as violence (i.e. pushing a spear out of a ...more
Miss Ryoko
Sep 19, 2014 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
I know Takahashi-san is a well known and loved mangaka... I've only read Ranma 1/2 and have seen a few episodes of Inuyasha. I really loved Ranma in the beginning but it got really obnoxious and so drawn out I started to lose interest in it. That really has nothing to do with this series other than I was a bit surprised to see it was rather series and a little dark.

I liked it. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad. I like how the mermaids are good and are kind of scary and gross.

I'm curious to see
Sharon
Apr 20, 2016 Sharon rated it really liked it
Rumiko Takahashi is a remarkable storyteller. The art is great too. There's a great sense of place and atmosphere and even though the characters can look samey from time to time, they have such strong personalities. My one nitpick is I'm not sure if I buy Mana being quite so naive for quite so long, even taking her past into account, but still it was enjoyable, creepy, horrific, and eerily beautiful, as only Takahashi-sensei can produce.
Astrid
Jun 25, 2016 Astrid added it
there was this girl name mai and she saw a star that no one could see in the sky and then there were this mark on her arm that prove that she was a hime there was many other hime by it was a really great book and i enjoy reading it
thank you to the author that create the book and thank you to the producer.
Anna
Sep 19, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
Great series of snapshot-type short stories following a guy trying to break his curse of immortality. More serious than Takahashi's usual romantic comedies and action manga. Good visual storytelling, with some very touching (happy and sad) moments.
Tim
Nov 21, 2008 Tim rated it it was amazing
One of the best manga series that I have read, I really liked how Takahashi reimagined mermaids from the Little Mermaid people-with-fish-tails image to something that is truely unhuman.
Lord
Sep 12, 2008 Lord rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, horror
Probably the best series from Rumiko Takahashi. Dark, inventive story that is not painfully long. And nice art, of course.
Anna
Aug 09, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The core of the story is creepy, and it gets violent and bloody.. but Rumiko-sensei keeps the violence non-graphic. Oh sure, Yuta bleeds out every chapter, but there's no insides hanging or anything
Kelsey_jane
Jul 09, 2008 Kelsey_jane rated it really liked it
This is a very intriguing series. Each book from this series is filled with interesting stories and some can give you quite a chill.
Gaby
Gaby rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2013
Cherry
Cherry rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Jaime
Jaime rated it really liked it
May 28, 2008
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Sushi
Sushi rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2012
Hotaru
Hotaru rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Ian Blacker
Ian Blacker rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it it was ok
Oct 25, 2009
Cody Billings
Cody Billings rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Winna Xia
Winna Xia rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
  • Phantasm Japan: Fantasies Light and Dark, From and About Japan
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1: The Opera House Murders
  • FAUST 1
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 19: Badger Hole
Rumiko Takahashi (高橋 留美子) was born in Niigata, Japan. She is not only one of the richest women in Japan but also one of the top paid manga artists. She is also the most successful female comic artist in history. She has been writing manga non-stop for 31 years.

Rumiko Takahashi is one of the wealthiest women in Japan. The manga she creates (and its anime adaptations) are very popular in the United
More about Rumiko Takahashi...

Mermaid Saga (4 books)