The Black Swan

The Black Swan

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When Priscilla Harradine travels back to England accompanied by the rather dull Major Sands, she has no cause to expect her journey will be anything other than uneventful. But also on board the Centaur is Charles de Bernis - a mysterious and intriguing buccaneer. Just as their friendship is beginning to blossom, a dark figure from de Bernis' past emerges to propel them int...more
Library Binding, 311 pages
Published by Amereon Limited (first published 1931)

The Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre DumasTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska Orczy
Swashbucklers
52nd out of 304 books — 275 voters
The Princess Bride by William GoldmanThe Three Musketeers by Alexandre DumasHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Scarlet Pimpernel by Emmuska OrczyPeter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Fencing fiction
44th out of 90 books — 200 voters

More lists with this book...

Donna
When Priscilla Harradine meets buccaneer Charles de Bernis on the ship that's carrying her back to England, the appearance of a notorious pirate puts her safety entirely in the hands of her new acquaintance.

There are some well-described fights, but the tension in this one comes as much from the suspense and uncertainty of the situation as from typical pirate story action. Sabatini achieves this by giving us more pages from the heroine's point of view than many of his other books include, and eve...more
Yune
The usual level of entertainment from Sabatini, this time as a buccaneer schemes how to keep a governor's daughter out of the clutches of a pirate (yes, there's a difference). Less in the way of involved intrigue or even high-octane action, since for much of the story they're all hanging out on an island in purported alliance. Still fun if you like your good and evil monochrome and your characters much much in archetype.
Randy M.
I am not an aficionado of pirate lore, and beyond the Robert Louis Stevenson classics I have not delved into this genre much at all. However, I do enjoy historical fiction and adventure, and pirates fit the bill on both counts. So, for no particular reason beyond that, I decided to read The Black Swan. This is my first encounter with Rafael Sabatini, who I know is a much respected author of many other classics of adventure.

If you are looking for an over the top, roller coaster ride of pirate exp...more
Ang
Ahhh...the good old days when women won the hearts of men with femininity and brains (not half naked bodies and slutty come-ons). Life was just as real, intense and dangerous or more so. I love reading books that have wonderful characters and great story lines. Wish there was more of these "old-fashioned" stories being written in contemporary novels.
Pandora
I decided to read this after watching The Black Swan (Tyrone Powers - pirates not Natalie Portman and tutus). Both the movie and book were very good but, had little in common beyond a boat named The Black Swan, a evil Captain Leach, a girl, a charming French pirate, and a floppish Englishman. This suprised me at first but, then I settled down and enjoyed the story.

One of the charms of the book is the heroine is one of Sabatini's stronger heroines. Akin more to the heroine of Scaramouch and The L...more
Natalie
This book is as enjoyable as Sabatini's other better-known novels. The plot isn't quite as intricate, but thoroughly entertaining as we follow a young girl, Priscilla, traveling to England who finds herself in the company of one pirate on board their ship as a passenger only for both of them to be captured by another. Her only choice is but to trust the wit and daring of the handsome French buccaneer Charles de Bernis to free them from Tom Leach's brutal grasp. Not only is this a great enjoyable...more
Jmassa
Solid, enjoyable swashbuckler by one of the masters of the pirate-fiction trade.

The action and adventure did not disappoint. But, never having read Sabatini before, I was surprised by the focus on finely-drawned characterization and the dry, rather complex prose. To wit:

Every man's life is based upon his own experiences. Like drawing like unto its intimacies, the vile man meets only vileness and therefore accounts the world vile...

As you can see, here is no pound-out-the-purple-prose guy, like,...more
Bill
I am very happy, after several years collecting old library copies of Sabatini's works, to see a publisher putting out as many of his lesser known and out of print books. In some ways, it's not helping to read so many of these so closely together, as the Sabatini Plot and Sabatini Characters start to blend together. They are much of the same cloth. But the delight of his breadth of historical location, and the fun of his plots, always drawing their drive from well-researched historical possibili...more
A very simple pirate adventure. There are no subplots, and the characters don't evolve. It felt almost like a play: one hero, one lady, one annoying side character there to make the hero look good, and one villain. All of the other characters are just bit parts that come and go. It would be a light read if it wasn't so heavily laden with archaic and uncommon words (...which may actually be my favorite feature of the book!). Overall, I'd recommend it to a friend. It's a fun read.
Haley
Good ole pirate adventure stories... how I love thee! This one was sort of similar to a lot of his other ones, but it had some different things in it as well. I liked it just the same and I liked it for the same reasons I always like Rafael Sabatini books: they are just fun adventure stories.
Jorgen Schäfer
Ein weiterer genrebegründender Roman von Sabatini. Mit etwas mehr Fokus auf die Liebesbeziehung als Captain Blood trotzdem ein wundervoller Roman für alle Piratenfreunde. Yarr!
Carmelina
This is the first book of Rafael Sabatini I read and thoroughly enjoyed it. I couldn't put it down. I love it when characters are so well written that you can picture them so clearly in your mind.
Mark Polino
Good. Not great. There are elements of Captain Blood in here but The Black Swan almost felt like a short story extended to novel length.
Chet
Pure swashbuckling pleasure reading. I can't get enough of a good Sabatini novel, and this was one of the best!
Barbara
Ah, more pirates. Not quite as good as Captain Blood, IMHO, but worth a read if you love swashbucklers.
benebean
I'm such a sucker for classic, strong, clever masculine heroes paired with intelligent heroines. :)
Maria S
Excellent I need to find more books by Sabatini!!
Patricia Reddy
Excellent maritime tale. Notable vocabulary
Will
Very solid Sabatini. Great cruise book.
Bethlattin
Bethlattin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Samanta Bićanić
Samanta Bićanić marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Sarah Stewart
Sarah Stewart marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Luningning Santos
Luningning Santos marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Michael Mouser
Michael Mouser marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
  • The Young Hornblower Omnibus
  • Montezuma's Daughter
  • Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)
  • The Pyrates: A Swashbuckling Comic Novel by the Creator of Flashman
  • Angelique, the Road to Versailles (Angelique: Original version #2)
  • Beauvallet
  • Off On A Comet (Forgotten Books)
  • Shadowlands
  • A Daughter of the Snows
  • Two Captains
  • Rupert of Hentzau
  • Consuelo
Rafael Sabatini (1875 - 1950) was an Italian/British writer of novels of romance and adventure. At a young age, Rafael was exposed to many languages. By the time he was seventeen, he was the master of five languages. He quickly added a sixth language - English - to his linguistic collection. After a brief stint in the business world, Sabatini went to work as a writer. He wrote short stories in the...more
More about Rafael Sabatini...
Captain Blood Scaramouche The Sea-Hawk Captain Blood Returns The Fortunes of Captain Blood