Start by marking “Amphigorey Also” as Want to Read:
Amphigorey Also

Amphigorey Also (Amphigorey #3)

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  3,129 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Drawings (including thirty-two pages in color), captions, and verse showcasing Gorey’s unique talents and humor. “The Glorious Nosebleed,” “The Utter Zoo,” “The Epiplectic Bicycle,” and fourteen other selections.
Published April 1st 1993 by Congdon & Weed (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Amphigorey Also, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Amphigorey Also

Anthony Vacca
Almost as top-notch a collection as Amphigorey and Amphigorey Too, and better than his final, posthumous collection, Amphigorey Again. There’s no knack for word wizardry nor elan for illustration that I haven’t already praised and expounded upon in the previous reviews for Gorey's work linked above. As always, Gorey's art is a heady delight for the eyes, ears and mind, and in this collection I unabashedly adored The Loathsome Couple, was happily horrified by The Stupid Joke, couldn't help but be ...more
Patrick
Anywhere you open up an Edward Gorey book, you will immediately be punched in the mouth by Rad. The highlight of this book was "The Sopping Thursday," the most powerful story of a man losing his umbrella you will ever see.
Chris
If Gorey ever did something that WASN'T brilliant, I haven't seen it.
Antonomasia
Re-read (rare).
I'm not sure I'll ever quite be able to separate Edward Gorey's work from the person who introduced me to it - and at least half of this post is about that. Inside it is the frisson of having found someone/thing perfect like I had always been looking for. But the flipside. The precision of the words and art bound up with an overwhelming effort, fumbling in the dusk, to say and write the right thing, and the annoyance and coldness a small error may bring. (Gorey is evidently influ
Punk
A collection of some of Gorey's lesser known works. Gorey, of course, being known for his dark humor, whimsy, and incredibly detailed pen and ink crosshatching. Let me attempt to describe these for you.

The Utter Zoo - Alphabet filled with fantastic creatures and rhymes. I love that he only shows about half the creatures. That is, not all of them are shown, and many are only half visible. That's one of the best things about Gorey's art; he only shows as much as you need to see.

The Blue Aspic - Fa
Anna
A disappointing sequel in the series of Amphigorey. I only sort of enjoyed two of the stories therein ("The Utter Zoo" and "Les Passementeries Horribles"). I just couldn't follow a lot of the nonsense in here, probably all with references that are too dated for me. It also just seemed more absurd rather than surreal. Ah well, only one more volume left. Hopefully it isn't any worse.
Ella
This was my first Edward Gorey book. I bought this at a big chain shop from their sale table for the price of a cup of gas station coffee. Best dollar I ever spent.

In high school when I was really into drawing, cross hatching was my favorite method of shading. Especially with extremely fine point pens. I loved the way the pen would leave ruts in the paper of my sketchbook.
The art in this book reminds me of high school..... nostalgia.

Also.. who couldn't love things like all the drawings of bat
The finding of Judith Shakespeare
Increíble e inacabable ingenio y buen gusto. Sugerente e imaginativo, un placer para los amantes del arte de contar e ilustrar historias.
Melanie
Jun 15, 2007 Melanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults only
Overall, I enjoyed this book. I grew up watching programs on Mystery! so I was familiar with Gorey's work from a young age. I've always liked his style and quirks. I just got this book a few days ago and have had time to go through it. The drawings and alphabets are all pretty standard Gorey...meaning they're diverting and intriguing. I did take issue with a story involving a couple who's "life's work" is to murder children and take pictures of the process. Although it may come across as being o ...more
Ella
Very interesting but a bit too weird. I like the poems and Alphabets in this book. Very dark and sinister.
Bonnie Gayle
I've always loved Edward Gorey's macabre Victorian style art. However, I was disappointed to discover, through reading this book, that his writing skills don't quite match his art skills. Most of the time, the captions were supposed to create a story, but they really didn't make any sense, so after I finished the book, I was...underwhelmed.

I decided to 'read' through a second time, ignoring the words entirely, and just focusing on the art: much more enjoyable.

As a book, this probably doesn't r
Icats
Read about Embley and Yewbert’s adventure in the Epiplectic Bicycle. Brush up on the alphabet in The Utter Zoo, The Glorious Nosebleed and The Eclectic Abecedarium. Learn how the famous mystery writer, Miss D. Awdrey-Gore, of such great titles, The Pincushion Affair, The Toothpaste Murder, and The Dustwrapper Secret, pieced together the perfect tale of mystery. This Amphigorey book also highlights Gorey’s artistic and creative talent with his superbly macabre illustrations. I particularly enjoye ...more
Mark
Amazing! Utterly brings me to fits!
Sherry (sethurner)
Edward Gorey may be most known to people who watch Mystery! on PBS, since he created the opening credits. I remember seeing his drawings at my grandmother's house, perhaps in Readers Digest Condensed books. Later, I tried (and failed) to find the book because Stephen King recommended it. It has been republished, a compilation of a dozen short graphic books, all peopled with the waif-ish hollow-eyed Victorian men, women, and creatures from his gothic imagination. This book is a wicked delight.
Kate
At times totally disturbing, and at other times perfectly charming. Two whole sections about bicycles! One story about a man so obsessed with opera that he starts killing people, finally stabbing his favorite soprano (she sings, amazingly, 'the A above high C') in the throat. There is also a plethora of cute, but sad, imaginary animals: 'The Posby goes into a trance, In which it does a little dance (illustration of a little sad Posby dancing in front of a grammaphone).
Orrin Grey
Though long familiar with his artwork, this and The Unstrung Harp were my first exposures to Edward Gorey's writing. I liked them, and here I was especially fond of his alphabets. "It was in the trunk Presumably."
ruby
Edward Gorey is one of my inspirations in life. His pen and ink style influenced my art and his dark humor touches my soul. I like the creep factor and that he, sometimes, makes you uncomfortable. I love his poetry and prose style and think the artist and the poet could never have been better matched.
Bianca
Always morbid and frequently random, this collection of more shorts from Gorey is a glimpse into his overall style. There's murder, mystery, murder-mysteries and murderous tassels. Mostly there are his famous drawings that are delightful in their simplicity and storytelling ability.
Christiana
I was going to bed when I started to read this book, and all of a sudden I was engaged emphatically in the wonderful work of E.G. I recommend reading it while sleepy or silly. Thanks to Ed Gorey I now know what an Abecedarium is! You too can gain this valuable information!
Kirsten
Totally excellent collection of Gorey's short works. Gorey himself believed that these are best appreciated in their original format as small picture books, and I agree, but since it's hard to find a lot of his stuff I'm grateful for the existence of this collection.
Jessica
Nothing that Edward Gorey wrote was a waste of time. Despite a few odd balls and a couple of missteps, this collection is right on the money and well worth owning and reading, over and over and over again.... just not when alone, by candle light.
Eling
Definitely need to own this book, and probably the other Amphigoreys as well. Gorey's writing is intelligent & funny, but the detail of his artwork requires returning to the book & its illustrations again and again to fully appreciate it.
Andrea
Jun 09, 2010 Andrea rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: Rachel Meibos
Shelves: manga-comics
Dry, macabre, creative pen-and-ink drawings. My son liked the Utter Zoo Alphabet (some other sections of this book are definitely not for kids); I liked the bicycle section. Some of the stories were a little aimless and bland.
HeavyReader
Aug 26, 2007 HeavyReader rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the macabre
Shelves: art
I found a bunch of books by Edward Gorey where I was staying and gorged myself on them one afternoon. I read Amphigorey, Amphigorey Too, and Amphigorey Also all in one sitting.
Meg
What can I say other than I am very much in love with Gorey's storytelling and drawing style. The morbid and fairly surreal feel in his stories is uniquely his.
Kaitlin Drake
I could read this multiple times and see something different. I loved the alphabet parts the most, and it is a collection that leaves me thinking.
Linda
Another collection. I recommend the collections if you are going to check these out. Even though they are 200+ pages long, they read very fast.
Kirsten Ashley
The man sure loved his alphabet. As always, cute and morose rhymes with amazing illustrations. I love the feel of texture in his pen and ink work.
Michelle
Deliciously downbeat collection of Gorey works. No great morals here just black humor perfectly illustrated by the pen and ink drawings.
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover for Here 3 12 Dec 19, 2014 05:46PM
  • The World of Edward Gorey
  • Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
  • Elegant Enigmas: The Art of Edward Gorey
  • The Treehorn Trilogy: The Shrinking of Treehorn, Treehorn's Treasure, and Treehorn's Wish
  • Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head & Other Drawings
  • My Crowd
  • The Twelve Terrors of Christmas
  • The Golden Mean (Griffin & Sabine Trilogy #3)
  • Little Nemo: 1905-1914
  • The Frank Book
  • Beasts! Book One
  • Cabinet of Natural Curiosities: The Complete Plates in Colour, 1734-1763
  • Motel of the Mysteries
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more
More about Edward Gorey...

Amphigorey (4 books)
  • Amphigorey
  • Amphigorey Too
  • Amphigorey Again
The Gashlycrumb Tinies (The Vinegar Works, #1) Amphigorey Amphigorey Too The Doubtful Guest The Epiplectic Bicycle

“I thought it was going to be different;
It turned out to be(,) just the same.”
0 likes