Start by marking “Mutant 59: The Plastic-Eaters” as Want to Read:
Mutant 59: The Plastic-Eaters

Mutant 59: The Plastic-Eaters

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A BIOLOGICAL TIME BOMB?

"In the shaft leading to the [ventilation] grille a mindless, groping mass of malodorous corruption was thrusting its way silently towards the surface. Buoyed up by bubbling foam it steadily rose. Single units in an obscene abrogation of normal order divided and made two. Two became four and four, eight. Endlessly supplied with food, each unit absor
Published February 8th 1972 by Viking Adult (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Mutant 59, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mutant 59

Kim Mens
I found this book somewhere hidden in my library, a Dutch edition published in 1972. Sometimes its so funny to read science fiction written more than 40 years ago. I finished the book in a few days only so it was an easy read, though often a bit over the top. A kind of a mixture of a disaster movie and a Dan Brown book "avant la lettre", including the necessary cliff hangers at the end of every chapter.
Gloria
Jan 09, 2015 Gloria added it
From the Odhams Book Club. 3 books in 1, along with “Climate of Revolt”and “The body of a girl” Not sure when I finished this, but guessing 1975
Rich Meyer
Mutant 59: The Plastic Eaters was one of my favorite sci-fi novels in high school. It's a fairly good story for seventies sci-fi, barring a couple of minor plotholes. This book has some good characterization, given the stereotypes that the characters really are. But it's an enjoyable book, with a little more action than The Andromeda Strain, at least on the part of the main characters.

FYI: The story was also used as the basis for the first episode of the British TV show Doomwatch. This is much
George
I picked this up at a used book store only because I recognized the authors' names from their association with Doctor Who in the 60's.

This was quite dull and didn't grab my interest until almost at the end when there is a tense scene aboard an airliner. If only that had been at the beginning of the book!

I just learned that this novel was based on the authors' screenplay for the pilot episode of the UK TV series "Doomwatch", where the airliner scene does appear at the start of the episode. Perhap
Joseph
I read this book originally in eighth grade (77-78) as school library checkout. The story stuck with me for years but no one else remembered it. I spent the next 20+ years trying to find my own copy. It didn't help that I had the name wrong by forgetting the "mutant" part. It might not be the best sci-fi book in the world but and I found it, I re-read it and I'm happy I made the effort.
Yann Rousselot
Plastic-eating fungus attacks London! My review: Exactly how it sounds. Interesting premise, some far-too-serious pseudo-science, a stuck-up, stilted (old-style British) love story ("I saw her dark nipple through the fabric of her blouse, Oh Lord."), and lots of plastic-eating, methane-producing goop. Go Science!
Michael Burhans
I loved this book back in the day. A form of bacteria mutates and begins to eat plastic, leaving the world an ever worsening mess. this is one of the books that started my love of the apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic genre. Filled with action and chaos. Lots of fun.
Richard Conine
Among the books that influenced me most. Read Kit Pedler's novel in the summer of '76, back to back with Asimov's Fantastic Voyage. The sheer weirdness and improbability of Plastic-Eaters was an irresistible lure at the time. Now it's sadly possible.
C.n. Howard
Scary concept about a virus that attacks all the plastic in the world and what chaos it causes.
Alex
Bad, but not bad enough. YAY MUTANT BACTERIA THAT EAT PLASTIC/LONDON!
Rob
Simplistic story of love among the plastic-eating bacteria in 1970's London. I enjoyed it more in the 70's and 80's when the science was newer and I couldn't see all the scienttific flaws in the book.
Nekto
Nekto marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Thomas Cleenewerck
Thomas Cleenewerck marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Pete
Pete added it
Dec 16, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Shawn Kichta
Shawn Kichta marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Roby
Roby marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Christopher Magnus Howard "Kit" Pedler was a British medical scientist, science fiction author and writer on science in general.

He was the head of the electron microscopy department at the Institute of Ophthalmology, University of London, where he published a number of papers. Pedler's first television contribution was for the BBC programme Tomorrow's World.

In the mid-1960s, Pedler became the unof
More about Kit Pedler...
Doctor Who: The Tenth Planet Doctor Who: The Moonbase Brainrack Mutant 59: The Plastic Eater Dynostar Menace