Start by marking “Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl” as Want to Read:
Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl

Rachel's Journal: The Story of a Pioneer Girl (Young American Voices #1)

Young Rachel and her family follow the Oregon Trail to California, encountering rough terrain and lots of adventures. Full-color illustrations.
Published May 1st 2001 by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Rachel's Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rachel's Journal

Maureen
Nov 01, 2008 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a detailed chronicle of a young pioneer girl who travels from Illinois to California along the Oregon Trail. Filled with vivid descriptions of the pioneer experiences through a child's voice and vision. This book is an informative yet entertaining depiction of the the struggles and hardships experiencd by the pioneers who transversed the frontier.

This is a wonderful resource for intermediate students. It would probably appeal more to girls, but would make a wonderful companion to Li
This book is a "hand written" journal that is about a young 10 year old pioneer girl, Rachel, who is traveling with her family from Illinois to California along the Oregon Trail. This journal is very informative yet still holds the readers attention with the struggles and problems of the pioneers who traveled the frontier. Since this is Rachel's personal journal, there are her own personal drawings that depict Rachel's corky sense of humor.

I rated this book a 3 out of 5 stars because I think th
Miss Amanda
gr 3-5 unpaginated

1850, Oregon Trail. Rachel tells of her family's adventure on their journey to California. The story, written in a journal format, has a nice mix of story and historical facts. I think readers will also enjoy all the additional drawings and facts that "Rachel" has written in the margins.
Aubrey
Jun 10, 2008 Aubrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this when I was littler. It's illustrated by the same artist that does Amelia's Journals (American Girl). I used to love pioneer narratives when I was a girl. This was one of my favorites.
Sean Chambers ray
Mar 21, 2015 Sean Chambers ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love pioneer fiction, and this book was no accception. It was an excellent book and I think the author was realistic.
Amelia
Jul 26, 2011 Amelia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I remeber reading this book in third grade! I loved it so much
Cws
JAR5-Mos
Oct 20, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think my granddaughter would love this book.
Rachel
May 15, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
This book was an awesome journal about rachel and her family on the trip!!!
H.
May 05, 2013 H. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This was okay. I can see the appeal at a certain level to younger readers with all of the drawings and doodles but I will stick with Laura Ingalls books and actual accounts for my fourth grader.
Kathleen
I adored this book!
Megan Rowland
Rachel's Journal is a kid friendly journal, with illustrations, about a girl and her family going on a journey accross the country. This book is good during social studies when discussing pioneers.
Melody
Aug 06, 2014 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great addition to our Oregon Trail class. Great descriptions and artwork in the margins. The kids had a blast reading all of Rachel's doodles :)
Middlethought
Middlethought rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2017
Lydia Smedry
Lydia Smedry rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2011
Riha
Riha rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2013
Audree Del Rosario
Audree Del Rosario rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Gwen Haaland
Gwen Haaland rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2010
Dori Orr
Dori Orr rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Jocelyn Proctor
Jocelyn Proctor rated it it was ok
Aug 16, 2010
Alexa
Alexa rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Kylie
Kylie rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Mallory
Mallory rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2010
Neena Hingorani
Neena Hingorani rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2010
Karen
Karen rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2010
Ali Cabrera
Ali Cabrera rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2008
Tiffiny
Tiffiny rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Steph Willburn
Steph Willburn rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bicycle Man (Sandpiper)
  • The First Thanksgiving
  • The Quilt Story
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
  • Johnny Appleseed
  • All the Stars in the Sky: The Santa Fe Trail Diary of Florrie Mack Ryder (Dear America)
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Going West
  • Rain School
  • The Thanksgiving Story
  • Spinky Sulks
  • If You Traveled West In A Covered Wagon
  • Big Red Lollipop
  • Bound for Oregon
  • The Great Railroad Race: the Diary of Libby West (Dear America)
  • The Drinking Gourd: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • The Long Way to a New Land
  • Happy Birthday, Martin Luther King Jr.
Who is Marissa Moss anyway?

I’ve been making children’s books for a looooong time. I sent my first picture book to publishers when I was nine, but it wasn’t very good and they didn’t publish it. I didn’t try again until I was a grown-up and then it took five years of sending out stories, getting them rejected, revising them and sending them back over and over until I got my first book. Now I’ve pub
More about Marissa Moss...

Young American Voices (4 books)
  • Emma's Journal: The Story of a Colonial Girl (Young American Voices, #2)
  • Hannah's Journal: The Story of an Immigrant Girl (Young American Voices, #3)
  • Rose's Journal: The Story of a Girl in the Great Depression (Young American Voices, #4)