Start by marking “Pirates Don't Change Diapers” as Want to Read:
Pirates Don't Change Diapers

Pirates Don't Change Diapers

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,401 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
When the pirate crew turns up at Jeremy Jacob's house and accidentally wakes his baby sister, that wee scallywag howls louder than a storm on the high seas. Sure, there's buried treasure to be found, but nobody's digging up anything until Bonney Anne quits her caterwauling. So, quicker than you can say "scurvy dog," Braid Beard and his swashbuckling pirates become . . . ba ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2007)

How I Became a Pirate by Melinda LongPirates Don't Change Diapers by Melinda LongShiver Me Letters by June SobelThe Night Pirates by Peter HarrisThe Gingerbread Pirates by Kristin Kladstrup
Picture Books About Pirates
2nd out of 69 books — 49 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia Rees
Pirates!
69th out of 452 books — 605 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa
Jan 07, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing

Super cute and funny. :)
Robyn Schaefer
Dec 28, 2014 Robyn Schaefer rated it really liked it
The first Pirate book by Melinda Long and the talented David Shannon was so popular, it’s no wonder it required a sequel. In this continuation of How I Became a Pirate, a young Jeremy Jacobs gets a visit from Captain Braid Beard and his “mateys” while doing babysitting duty. The pirates need to dig up the treasure they hid in young Jeremy’s backyard, but not before they get a finniky Bonnie Anne under control.
After Bonnie Anne’s wide-mouthed wail overpowers the boorish and coarse band of pirates
Darcy
May 29, 2014 Darcy rated it liked it
Shelves: maggie-3-yr-old
A cute story. A little boy, Jeremy Jacob watches his baby sister while his dad is a sleep. Some pirate friends arrive upon his door step to claim their buried treasure.

A cute entertaining story. My 3 year old daughter liked it.
Kathy
Jul 14, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
Good transition from Oh David books
Stacey
Mar 02, 2016 Stacey rated it it was amazing
I was hesitant about reading this book out loud. I thought it would be a bit "busy" and hard to follow for the kids. However, the kids loved it! They were entertained and want to hear it and read it on their own often.
Priscilla Johnson
Nov 17, 2015 Priscilla Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: wow-books
This story is a sequel to “How I Became a Pirate.” In this story the pirate crew turns up at Jeremy’s house in search of the hidden treasure they hid in his backyard. While the pirates are at the house they wake up the baby and have to help Jeremy babysit his little sister. The pirates learn how to take care of a baby while they also search for the hidden treasure.

This is WOW book for me because it teaches students how to use their imagination when writing. I think both of these books are great
Samantha
This is a great picture book for the upper grades, but really what age group doesn't love pirates. This book is a sequel and just as fun to read as the first one. This book would be great for book clubs or a fun read aloud. The book does a good job of keeping kids engaged.
Jen W
Jul 26, 2015 Jen W rated it really liked it
Tumblebook, Picture book; Ages 4-9; Level 2.7, LExile 570L

Awards: None

Description: Jeremy's mother has to go run errands and his dad and baby sister are asleep. When pirates arrive at the door waking his baby sister, it is up to them to keep her quiet so they can go find the buried treasure and get the pirates back on their way.

Characteristics:
1. Uses pictures and text to tell a story. Without the illustrations in this story, when Jeremy realizes where to look for the treasure we wouldn't know a
Hope
Jun 20, 2013 Hope rated it really liked it
Shelves: pirates
Pirates Don't Change Diapers. do they? This is such a cute book about "babysitters" who think they may have to actually "sit" on the babies! A bit hard to read with some of the accents used, but my children have always loved my own accent interpretations! :)
Amy Hardy
Jul 03, 2014 Amy Hardy rated it really liked it
One of the first things you notice was the beautiful illustrations. This book was about a group of pirates look for treasure and came into Jeremy Jacob's house waking up his baby sister Bonney. The pirates had to go through a lot of hilarious mishaps to help babysit Bonney, in order; to find their treasure. My favorite part is when they do peekaboo, sing, and dance to try to get Bonney to sleep. I would use this book to help discuss cause and effect situations that happened throughout the book. ...more
NSAndrew Liebergen
Oct 08, 2009 NSAndrew Liebergen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Perfect Book!!
Art is inviting and engaging - kids love to study the small details in the full page pictures.

I did a DR-TA with 2nd graders on this book. I was able to break it into 6 sections. Their attention span lasted 45 min!!! Because the book was so interesting.

I don't know what kind of students you are teaching, but the 3-7 age range on this book is way low for the students I see. It was a perfect book for the average or a little better reader of 2nd grade.

Plucky young Jeremy Jacob is reun
Laurie
Feb 06, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it
Cathy
Feb 17, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
Never in a million years would I have thought that upper grade would have enjoyed this book. A little boy named Jeremy was babysitting while his mother stepped away and his father took a nap, When out of no where Captain Braid Beard and his crew rang his door bell looking for their treasure. Everyone know that pirates are not quite and because of their roudiness his lovely baby sitter Bonney Anne, whom is under a years old woke up. Now the story centers on satifisfying Bonney Anne and the pirate ...more
Kristi Bernard
Sep 05, 2010 Kristi Bernard rated it it was amazing
Melinda Long has created another fun filled pirate adventure. What kids will want to know, is if pirates don't change their socks why on earth would they even consider changing diapers!

With Dad and baby sis taking a nap and Mom running an errand to the store, Jeremy Jacob is in charge of the house. His old friends the pirates show up to dig up treasure they left in Jeremy's back yard. All of their loud chattering wakes up baby sis, Bonney Anne. Jeremy asks the pirates to help him babysit to keep
Missun Raine
A very cute story about a boy and his pirate friends. The pirates are in need of the treasure they buried in his backyard, but there's one problem they woke his sister. now they have to call me sister before they can get anywhere near the treasure. but there's a bunch of twist , turns, and cooky adventures the must face. very entertaining
Amy Poulin
Apr 18, 2011 Amy Poulin rated it liked it
Pirates Don’t Change Diapers is about a boy named Jeremy Jacob and his adventures with Braid Beard and his crew as they return to get their treasure. The treasure was buried in the previous story How I Became a Pirate. Jeremy’s mother needed to run errands and both is dad and sister were sleeping. Jeremy needed to do one thing if his sister woke up and that was to keep her happy. Then Jeremy’s pirate friends showed up wanting to find their treasure. But instead ended up babysitting Bonney Anne b ...more
Sandra Guerfi
Aug 06, 2015 Sandra Guerfi rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The pirates are here to ask for help digging up their treasure but in their eagerness they've woken up the baby. There will be no grand adventure until she's taken care of and falls asleep again but pirates aren't the best of nannies. Can they make it time to find their treasure?
Jacki
Oct 06, 2011 Jacki rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pirates Don't Change Diapers is a picturebook I listened to on CD. The book is intended for Nursery readers.

In this book a young boy name Jeremy is babysitting his little sister, Bonnie Anne, when pirates knock at his door. Jeremy enlists the pirates to help him with his sister in exchange for him helping the pirates find buried treasure.

I usually enjoy silly stories for young children, but this book was a little busy for me. I feel it would be difficult for chidren to follow the story on CD. I
Jill
Dec 20, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it
This is a fun book with great, colorful illustrations. When a boy is left at home to watch over his baby sister, he's caught off guard when a band of pirates arrives looking for treasure. The boy agrees to help them find the treasure if they agree to help babysit.
Katarina Miller
Feb 21, 2015 Katarina Miller rated it really liked it
This story is very cute, and it really makes kids think about how much work goes into raising kids. Pirates also add a lot of humor the the story, and what is happening. The illustrations are very vivid, and add to what the story is telling.
Jackie
Jun 14, 2009 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arrrgggh!...mateys! Madcap mayhem ensues when Jeremy Jacob's pirate buddies show up to reclaim the treasure they've buried in his backyard. But!...oh yo! They're just in time to help him babysit his little sister, Bonney Anne. Things get interesting when the pirates run out of diapers while trying to figure out how to change Bonney Anne's dity diapers. Shiver me timbers! All's well that ends well when Bonney Anne points them in the right direction to dig for the long lost treasure. Delightful il ...more
Randy Lander
Feb 02, 2009 Randy Lander rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I know a kids book is good when my daughter loves re-reading it over and over again. I know it's great when I don't mind so much. Pirates Don't Change Diapers is a great kids book. It's got really nice art and great comic timing... it's legitimately funny for kids and adults.

Lessons? Well, mostly it's about being a good big brother, but it's more general, genial goofy than the morality tale that many (good and bad) kids books are. All I know is that after getting this at the school book fair, I
Gretchen Mary
Jul 04, 2014 Gretchen Mary rated it really liked it
This is a funny little tale. Great for reading out loud to your kids. Boys and girls will like this one. The pictures are cute and colorful. It is humorous.
Renee
May 28, 2014 Renee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: K-3rd
3.75 This is a sequel but you don't have to read the first one first. The illustrations are vibrant and the story is enjoyable with pirates trying to pacify a baby.
The Brothers
Feb 20, 2016 The Brothers rated it it was amazing
Jeremy Jacob is visited by his old pirate buddies who need to dig up the treasure they hid in his backyard. But before they can do this, they have to help Jeremy Jacob babysit his little sister ("No sittin' on babies!"). Though not really up to the task, the pirates do the best they can, and end up getting their treasure with the help of the baby.

Excellent book for practicing for 'Talk Like A Pirate Day'.

Great illustrations - we love anything David Shannon draws.
Mrs. Carey
Oct 05, 2015 Mrs. Carey rated it liked it
Shelves: jkes-library
Pirates, treasure, and babies? David Shannon illustrates this silly tale about pirates babysitting a little baby girl.
Naomi
Mar 30, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
Humorous book that I could see children loving. The illustrations and storyline were inviting and engaging.
Jun 14, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
My pre-k & K students thought it was funny when the pirates didn't know how to change a diaper.
Ranea
Jan 22, 2016 Ranea rated it it was amazing
"Babysit?" Braid Beard scratched his head, "Pirates don't sit on babies!"

This is a cute book. :)
Kimberli
Nov 12, 2007 Kimberli rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
In Pirates Don’t Change Diapers, the hilarious sequel to How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long, a shabby pirate crew shows up at Jeremy Jacob’s house and wakes up his baby sister. The baby cries so loud that all of the pirates have to stop what they’re doing and tend to her needs. What do you think happens when Braid Beard and all of his crew have to stop looking for buried treasure and become baby sitters? Read this clever tale that is sure to get your pirate’s gruff in a bunch. In addition, Da ...more
Pirates Don't Change Diapers 3 13 Mar 10, 2013 06:01AM
MCC Children's Li...: picture books and illustrations 1 1 Feb 16, 2012 11:24PM
  • Too Many Toys
  • Diary of a Fly
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • Edward and the Pirates