Start by marking “Pirates Don't Change Diapers” as Want to Read:
Pirates Don't Change Diapers

Pirates Don't Change Diapers

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  6,243 ratings  ·  165 reviews
When the pirate crew turns up at Jeremy Jacob's house and accidentally wakes his baby sister, that wee scallywag howls louder than a storm on the high seas. Sure, there's buried treasure to be found, but nobody's digging up anything until Bonney Anne quits her caterwauling. So, quicker than you can say "scurvy dog," Braid Beard and his swashbuckling pirates become . . . ba ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pirates Don't Change Diapers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirates Don't Change Diapers

How I Became a Pirate by Melinda LongPirates Don't Change Diapers by Melinda LongShiver Me Letters by June SobelThe Night Pirates by Peter HarrisThe Gingerbread Pirates by Kristin Kladstrup
Picture Books About Pirates
2nd out of 67 books — 44 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia ReesThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Pirates!
59th out of 365 books — 501 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa

Super cute and funny. :)
Robyn Schaefer
The first Pirate book by Melinda Long and the talented David Shannon was so popular, it’s no wonder it required a sequel. In this continuation of How I Became a Pirate, a young Jeremy Jacobs gets a visit from Captain Braid Beard and his “mateys” while doing babysitting duty. The pirates need to dig up the treasure they hid in young Jeremy’s backyard, but not before they get a finniky Bonnie Anne under control.
After Bonnie Anne’s wide-mouthed wail overpowers the boorish and coarse band of pirates
Darcy
A cute story. A little boy, Jeremy Jacob watches his baby sister while his dad is a sleep. Some pirate friends arrive upon his door step to claim their buried treasure.

A cute entertaining story. My 3 year old daughter liked it.
Hope
Pirates Don't Change Diapers. do they? This is such a cute book about "babysitters" who think they may have to actually "sit" on the babies! A bit hard to read with some of the accents used, but my children have always loved my own accent interpretations! :)
Amy Hardy
One of the first things you notice was the beautiful illustrations. This book was about a group of pirates look for treasure and came into Jeremy Jacob's house waking up his baby sister Bonney. The pirates had to go through a lot of hilarious mishaps to help babysit Bonney, in order; to find their treasure. My favorite part is when they do peekaboo, sing, and dance to try to get Bonney to sleep. I would use this book to help discuss cause and effect situations that happened throughout the book. ...more
NSAndrew Liebergen
Perfect Book!!
Art is inviting and engaging - kids love to study the small details in the full page pictures.

I did a DR-TA with 2nd graders on this book. I was able to break it into 6 sections. Their attention span lasted 45 min!!! Because the book was so interesting.

I don't know what kind of students you are teaching, but the 3-7 age range on this book is way low for the students I see. It was a perfect book for the average or a little better reader of 2nd grade.

Plucky young Jeremy Jacob is reun
Laurie
Cathy
Never in a million years would I have thought that upper grade would have enjoyed this book. A little boy named Jeremy was babysitting while his mother stepped away and his father took a nap, When out of no where Captain Braid Beard and his crew rang his door bell looking for their treasure. Everyone know that pirates are not quite and because of their roudiness his lovely baby sitter Bonney Anne, whom is under a years old woke up. Now the story centers on satifisfying Bonney Anne and the pirate ...more
Kristi Bernard
Melinda Long has created another fun filled pirate adventure. What kids will want to know, is if pirates don't change their socks why on earth would they even consider changing diapers!

With Dad and baby sis taking a nap and Mom running an errand to the store, Jeremy Jacob is in charge of the house. His old friends the pirates show up to dig up treasure they left in Jeremy's back yard. All of their loud chattering wakes up baby sis, Bonney Anne. Jeremy asks the pirates to help him babysit to keep
Amy Poulin
Pirates Don’t Change Diapers is about a boy named Jeremy Jacob and his adventures with Braid Beard and his crew as they return to get their treasure. The treasure was buried in the previous story How I Became a Pirate. Jeremy’s mother needed to run errands and both is dad and sister were sleeping. Jeremy needed to do one thing if his sister woke up and that was to keep her happy. Then Jeremy’s pirate friends showed up wanting to find their treasure. But instead ended up babysitting Bonney Anne b ...more
Samantha
This is a great picture book for the upper grades, but really what age group doesn't love pirates. This book is a sequel and just as fun to read as the first one. This book would be great for book clubs or a fun read aloud. The book does a good job of keeping kids engaged.
Jacki
Pirates Don't Change Diapers is a picturebook I listened to on CD. The book is intended for Nursery readers.

In this book a young boy name Jeremy is babysitting his little sister, Bonnie Anne, when pirates knock at his door. Jeremy enlists the pirates to help him with his sister in exchange for him helping the pirates find buried treasure.

I usually enjoy silly stories for young children, but this book was a little busy for me. I feel it would be difficult for chidren to follow the story on CD. I
Jill
This is a fun book with great, colorful illustrations. When a boy is left at home to watch over his baby sister, he's caught off guard when a band of pirates arrives looking for treasure. The boy agrees to help them find the treasure if they agree to help babysit.
Katarina Miller
This story is very cute, and it really makes kids think about how much work goes into raising kids. Pirates also add a lot of humor the the story, and what is happening. The illustrations are very vivid, and add to what the story is telling.
Jackie
Arrrgggh!...mateys! Madcap mayhem ensues when Jeremy Jacob's pirate buddies show up to reclaim the treasure they've buried in his backyard. But!...oh yo! They're just in time to help him babysit his little sister, Bonney Anne. Things get interesting when the pirates run out of diapers while trying to figure out how to change Bonney Anne's dity diapers. Shiver me timbers! All's well that ends well when Bonney Anne points them in the right direction to dig for the long lost treasure. Delightful il ...more
Randy Lander
I know a kids book is good when my daughter loves re-reading it over and over again. I know it's great when I don't mind so much. Pirates Don't Change Diapers is a great kids book. It's got really nice art and great comic timing... it's legitimately funny for kids and adults.

Lessons? Well, mostly it's about being a good big brother, but it's more general, genial goofy than the morality tale that many (good and bad) kids books are. All I know is that after getting this at the school book fair, I
Gretchen Mary
This is a funny little tale. Great for reading out loud to your kids. Boys and girls will like this one. The pictures are cute and colorful. It is humorous.
Renee
May 28, 2014 Renee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-3rd
3.75 This is a sequel but you don't have to read the first one first. The illustrations are vibrant and the story is enjoyable with pirates trying to pacify a baby.
Naomi
Humorous book that I could see children loving. The illustrations and storyline were inviting and engaging.
Kimberli
Nov 12, 2007 Kimberli rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
In Pirates Don’t Change Diapers, the hilarious sequel to How I Became a Pirate by Melinda Long, a shabby pirate crew shows up at Jeremy Jacob’s house and wakes up his baby sister. The baby cries so loud that all of the pirates have to stop what they’re doing and tend to her needs. What do you think happens when Braid Beard and all of his crew have to stop looking for buried treasure and become baby sitters? Read this clever tale that is sure to get your pirate’s gruff in a bunch. In addition, Da ...more
Vivian
For all those who loved "How I Became a Pirate", here's a sequel that's just as fun.
Carrie Marie Lawson Brewer
A ten year old boy has the pirates help him take care of his baby sister
Kris Odahowski
David Shannon brings a pirate band to life visiting a family home and dealing with a caterwalling baby, provides the funniest and best illustrations of pirate babysitters. Sure to make a young reader laugh and want to read more.
Lisa Carroll
Very funny story and what little boy doesn't enjoy hearing about pirates. (girls will love this too). My son fell in love with everything pirates a little over a year ago. The pirates in this book are gross and have no manners, but you fall for them regardless. The pictures are bold, full of color and full of humor. This book and the first one, How I Became a Pirate are well loved in this house. We love how pirate terminology is included yet, the story takes place in modern time. This book is pu ...more
Lisa C
Cute book for bedtime, but too long for storytime
Ellie
I thought it was pretty good.
Kim T.
Kid-approved!
Karina Gioertz
This was the first book my daughter EVER sat still for from beginning to end. If you are looking for a story that allows you to do fun voices-this is the one! It's actually a sequel in a series, but we had this one first and fell in love. Even though it may seem like there is a lot of dialogue for a small child to stay focused on, it's such an easy and entertaining read that it was never a problem for us. I had just as much fun reading it to my daughter as she had listening to it.
Brittney Daniel
The pirate series is a great read for older children because they can understand some of the funny jokes that occur during the story. This story can help when a child is experiencing a new baby at home as well.
Kim
My kids adored this book! It is a great read-aloud book and gives a great opportunity to add emphasize and drama by giving your own voices to the characters. It is not just for boys! My daughter enjoyed it just as much as my son. We read it and then immediately went back to page one to read it again. I believe they could relate to young Jeremy Jacob as they also are asked to help out with our baby.

As always, David Shannon provides delightful illustrations!
Pirates Don't Change Diapers 3 13 Mar 10, 2013 06:01AM
MCC Children's Li...: picture books and illustrations 1 1 Feb 16, 2012 11:24PM
  • Too Many Toys
  • Fancy Nancy: Bonjour, Butterfly
  • Diary of a Fly
  • Skippyjon Jones in the Doghouse (Skippyjon Jones, #2)
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Edward and the Pirates
  • The Great Fuzz Frenzy
  • How Do Dinosaurs Eat Their Food?
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • More Parts (Parts, #2)
  • I Wanna Iguana
  • Splat the Cat
  • Bubble Bath Pirates
  • If I Built a Car
  • Library Lion
  • Big Chickens
How I Became a Pirate Hiccup Snickup When Papa Snores The Twelve Days of Christmas in South Carolina Pirates Activity Book