Start by marking “Raggedy Ann Stories” as Want to Read:
Raggedy Ann Stories

Raggedy Ann Stories (Raggedy Ann and Andy)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  630 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
All the original stories are here, as Raggedy Ann comes to Marcella's nursery and quickly becomes the leader of the dolls. After learning a lesson from a naughty ride on the pantry, Raggedy Ann's adventures show her striving to be good - and succeeding. She and the other dolls rescue Fido, the family dog, from the dogcatcher. When, in one adventure, Raggedy Ann has to have ...more
Published September 30th 1993 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 1918)

To ask other readers questions about Raggedy Ann Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Raggedy Ann Stories

The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery WilliamsWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. MilneThe Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamilloCorduroy by Don FreemanRaggedy Ann Stories by Johnny Gruelle
Children's Literature - Sentient Toys
5th out of 101 books — 36 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien
Books you have read 7 times
74th out of 401 books — 110 voters

More lists with this book...

Debbie Zapata
Dec 06, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eyesome
I found Raggedy Ann Stories at Project Gutenberg quite some time ago but never took the time to read the book until now. Not that I was worried about warping childhood memories; I just forgot about it until recently when I was tidying up my lists for 2016.

I do have lovely memories of Raggedy Ann. She was my favorite doll when I was a child, the only doll I carried with me everywhere. I vaguely remember reading the stories, or at least hearing them, but I didn't remember enough details to spoil
Sara
Oct 20, 2014 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, childrens
Childhood classics are always dicey things. Sometimes they age better than others. Raggedy Ann falls somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, I think.

I mean, let's get this out of the way: Raggedy's mistress, Marcella, is a spoiled little upper-class white girl, complete with a stereotype of a black servant called Dinah. It was fine in 1918 I'm sure, but it's a bit more outmoded now than, say, the adventures of Peter Rabbit (who slightly predates Raggedy). Raggedy herself is implausibly sweet a
Wreade1872
One thing missing from these stories is a list of the dolls. You do get to know them as you go along but a role-call at the start would have been nice so here you go.
Raggedy Ann - Female, cheap stitched doll.
Four Penny Dolls - Female, small dolls.
Indian Doll - Male, given his tracking skills i'm assuming indian as in Native American.
French Doll - Female.
Uncle Clem - Male, scotish doll complete with kilt.
Tin Soldier - Male, made of tin as the name suggests.
Dutch Doll - Male, Dutch dolls are usual
Catie
I could not believe how much my girls (ages 6 and 4) loved this book. Every single time I read a chapter they practically begged me to keep reading. The stories are *so* sweet and simple, that I didn't think it would hold my girls' interest--but they loved it!

In each chapter, Raggedy Ann has an adventure or helps someone out. In my opinion, they're almost *too* sweet, but I'm pretty sure that's because I don't still have the sweet innocence of a child. :) The stories are engaging and short so it
Laura Talley
Oct 26, 2013 Laura Talley rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-j
Read aloud to J. She loved it. When we finished the last story, she sighed, "That was beautiful." Pretty cute. :)
Cathy Cramer
I just read this again with the youngest at seven, much giggles on the way Raggedy looked all covered with paint. The child said that the funniest one was when they made copies of Raggedy Ann because you can't tell which one is her in the picture. (older more complete book review below)

I finished reading this childhood favorite with all three of my girls, aged 4, 8, and 10. They loved it, even the 10 year old, laughing at all the funny parts. I had told them that it was a little bit like the "To
ABC
Oct 19, 2011 ABC rated it it was amazing
((((Adorable))))

This is so cute and my son liked it, too. It has stood the test of time well.(With the exceptions of Dinah. We read the free kindle version, so there were no illustrations. I just looked at Project Gutenberg's illustrations and skimmed through the pictures.)

I definitely noticed strong influences on "Toy Story." There are lots of similarities. Raggedy is a leader like Woody. She gets lost. And so on.

Also noticed influence on Build a Bear. Hmmmm....just where did they get the idea
Jenne
May 25, 2014 Jenne rated it it was ok
Wow, so preachy! and also kinda racist.
Kristy
Apr 26, 2008 Kristy rated it liked it
I loved reading these stories again! I borrowed this book from a friend who purchased it for her 6 yr old daughter. I remember reading these stories and getting so wrapped up with my imagination as a little girl. I just had the same feeling!!! 25 yrs later!!! My favorite stories in this book: Raggedy Ann and The Kite -and- Raggedy Ann's Trip on the River. The author's message is very positive, "we are indeed happy and proud. For wherever one of the rag dolls goes there will go with it the love a ...more
Rachel Sours
Jun 18, 2015 Rachel Sours rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a precious book. I had a Raggedy Ann doll as a child but never read the stories. This series of short stories allowed my soon to be five year old son and I connect at night in a new way. He would grab his Raggedy Ann doll and we would settle down on his bed to read. The stories are long enough to have depth but short enough to keep his attention most nights. There are lessons in almost every story and you always hear the message of being happy no matter what. Raggedy' happiness drew everyon ...more
Elaine
Jul 10, 2008 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I downloaded this book from gutenburg press and formatted it in Word, then took it to Office Depot to be bound. It has the original illustrations in it. My daughters have made a rag doll and love hearing the Raggedy Ann stories. They have started taking care of their dolls the same way Marcella takes care of hers. Great, sweet stories.
Barbara Morgan
Few childhood memories are as special as mine of sitting down with my Raggedy Ann and serving her orange juice that morning I decide to read this book to her. She still wears the faint stain from our glorious time together.
Kristin Huston
Aug 12, 2015 Kristin Huston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A favorite from my childhood. My grandmother gave it to me along with handmade dolls.
Catherine
A bit too saccharine sweet for me, but I imagine it'd be great if you're 6.
Gale
Jun 08, 2013 Gale rated it liked it
GENTLE PEEK INTO A VICTORIAN NURSERY

This is the first of the classic Raggedy Ann books, of which there are nine more. It consists of 12 short tales with minimal plots. All are syrupy with little morals included quite blatantly, but antique children's books had been expected to Instruct as well as Entertain.
This little book would not appeal to modern youngsters or belong in a classroom setting, but can be enjoyed one chapter at a time as a bedtime ritual for parent-child bonding and book apprec
Julia
Oct 07, 2013 Julia rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Found this old book from my childhood and remembered that it was a little scary and creepy when Raggedy Ann is damaged in the river, and by birds and dogs and cats, and people. Though she is always repaired, some of the pictures are a little creepy to a little girl who thinks her dolls are alive. On re-reading it, the story seems dated and the ending reveals the commercial tie-in between the book and the dolls of the same name. I loved the doll more than the book when I was little.
Like most boo
Amy Nicole
Nov 30, 2014 Amy Nicole rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I was really disappointed by this selection of stories. I remember loving Raggedy Ann as a child, but I think I read Gruelle's longer stories instead of the short stories.
Derrick
Nov 19, 2015 Derrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 Stars
scrivenatrix
Jan 02, 2015 scrivenatrix rated it it was amazing
inscribed, 1943
Jon
Jun 29, 2014 Jon rated it liked it
Fun stories of the always smiling Raggedy Ann.

It was sad to read about Gruelle's daughter Marcela.
Tiffiny
So charming and sweet! My kids and I loved this!
Isabel
Jan 30, 2010 Isabel rated it liked it
This one is good, but it's not what I remembered. Raggedy is a dear girl and I love the example she sets of being a leader and a nurturer. However, I got this book expecting to read all those great descriptions of the candy forest and lemonade fountains and they weren't there! I guess they're only in the The Camel with the Wrinkled Knees? Hmm. Too bad I bought Raggedy Andy Stories first.
Oct 05, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
So great. Everything I want in a read aloud. Didn't have to edit a word. Dolls come to life when humans aren't around. They are all nice to each other and talk about how good it feels to be nice. There are fairies and Santa (in the Andy stories) and kittens and a lovely little girl who loves her dollies. I never heard these stories as a kid. Never liked the dolls' look, but now I love them.
Kristen
Jul 13, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
I love Raggedy Ann. She is active, intelligent, and warm-hearted.

I put up an illustrated version of the book on Amazon Kindle. I wanted it to be something parents will give to their children, so I edited out the racism.

Melinda Johnson
Feb 02, 2016 Melinda Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Raggedy Ann has been my friend longer than almost anyone else. I still have my old dolly, wearing a pair of baby pajamas to keep her raggedy old arms and legs attached to her body. But her heart is still in there. I loved reading the stories, and I will never truly believe that my dollies didn't get up and play the minute I left the room.
Cameron Crawford
Nov 26, 2013 Cameron Crawford rated it really liked it
Currently reading with my daughters. I have always struggled with the Raggedy's because there isn't a cohesive universe. Characters drop in and out and sometimes get renamed. However, each individual short story by itself has some great Aesop morals that translate well for children.
Allison
Jun 28, 2010 Allison rated it really liked it
My first chapter book to read with my daughter and it was perfect. Kites, kittens, paint, and messes and the doll forgives all who mess her up and becomes a patented toy at the end. Dorathea wanted to know about each mess she got into and was never scared once, a Godsend.
Cicely
Aug 04, 2011 Cicely rated it it was amazing
This was the first book he wrote. He created the doll too. The illustrations are more detailed and realistic. Later on he crated illustrations that were more cartoon like. It was read to me as a child, and I've looked at it again as an adult.
Aine
Mar 05, 2011 Aine rated it really liked it
I read this book at the antique mall. I shall be going back for it... and others in the series. It was so cute. I don't remember reading this when I was little, but I had lots of Raggedy Ann stuff, including dolls. Definitely a cute book!
Barb Kozubal
Jan 26, 2015 Barb Kozubal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Darling Book

For those adults who missed this as a child, it is delightful! Simple, old fashioned values taught throughout each story. Great for Preschoolers! 2015 marks the 100th Anniversary of Raggedy Ann.
Authorship? 1 6 Jul 23, 2010 11:38AM
  • Mother Goose in Prose
  • The Seventh Man
  • My Goodnight Book
  • The Tale of the Pie and the Patty-Pan
  • Donald Duck: The Old Castle's Secret (The Carl Barks Library, #6)
  • The King of the Golden River
  • The Children's Book of Heroes
  • The Adventures of Reddy Fox
  • Miss Suzy (Miss Suzy, #1)
  • The Celebrated Jumping Frog and Other Stories
  • The Grey Woman
  • The Purple Prince of Oz (Book 26)
  • A Birthday for Frances
  • The Bobbsey Twins' Mystery at Meadowbrook (Bobbsey Twins, #7)
  • The Snow Queen
  • How Long Can a White Girl Last on Nebraska Avenue? and other stories of wayward youth
  • Tucker's Countryside
Johnny Gruelle was an American artist, political cartoonist, children's book author and illustrator (and even songwriter). He is known as the creator of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy. He had such confidence in his design that often he would create the final ink work without first sketching in pencil.

More about Johnny Gruelle...

Raggedy Ann and Andy (1 - 10 of 142 books)
  • Raggedy Ann's Lucky Pennies
  • Raggedy Ann in Cookie Land (Classic)
  • Marcella: A Raggedy Ann Story
  • Raggedy Ann and Rags
  • The Original Adventures of Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
  • Raggedy Ann and Andy and the Camel With the Wrinkled Knees
  • Raggedy Ann's Secret
  • Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy
  • Raggedy Ann and the Golden Ring
  • The Paper Dragon: A Raggedy Ann Adventure

“The other dolls sat upon the shelf and looked straight before them, for it would never do to let grown-up men know that dolls were really alive.” 2 likes