Start by marking “The Naked Duke (Naked Nobility, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Naked Duke (Naked Nobility, #1)

The Naked Duke (Naked Nobility #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,197 Ratings  ·  201 Reviews
The Surprise Of Her Life

Sophisticated. Scandalous. In fact, Miss Sarah Hamilton, a proper Philadelphian, finds London society altogether shocking. How can it be that she has awakened from her innocent slumber to find herself in bed next to a handsome--and exceedingly naked--man? The laughing onlookers standing in the doorway are no help whatsoever and surely this amorous l

Published February 1st 2005 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about The Naked Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naked Duke

Outlander by Diana GabaldonArcher's Voice by Mia SheridanDark Needs at Night's Edge by Kresley ColeCaressed by Ice by Nalini SinghBorn in Sin by Kinley MacGregor
Books with Virgin Heroes
30th out of 417 books — 813 voters
The Duke and I by Julia QuinnA Kingdom of Dreams by Judith McNaughtWhitney, My Love by Judith McNaughtSomething Wonderful by Judith McNaughtAlmost Heaven by Judith McNaught
Dukes... Bring 'em on!
55th out of 335 books — 651 voters

More lists with this book...

Samantha
Apr 15, 2011 Samantha rated it did not like it
Netanella
Jan 15, 2014 Netanella rated it liked it
First paragraph: The devil was still asleep.
Sarah Hamilton squeezed closer to the stagecoach window. The farmer next to her grunted, shifting his considerable weight to take over the small space she'd made between them. The movement sent yet another fetid blast of yesterday's fish and sweat her way.

With that lovely aromatic opening, our book begins with penniless pseudo-aristocrat Sarah Hamilton traveling to her English uncle's estate after the death of her father in America. Arriving late, Sara
Susan (susayq ~)
What a great story! I want a James for myself! *whispers* And he was a virgin!!!

This had some definite funny moments, but don't think this was all roses and smiles. James had a nasty cousin, who made his nastiness known, loud and clear. Other than the ending being a bit abrupt for my taste,(I would have liked to have an epilogue) this was a great read:)
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Although this book did have some good bit and some humourous situations and dialogue, I can't rate it more then a 3 Stars, as for me it was just a bit average, I didn't hate it and I didn't love it and I will probably forget about it fairly quickly.

Everyone was very pleasent in it, and it was very lighthearted, I was hoping it would be a it like Julia Quinn's style of romance; humourous and romantic and with no real angst in it. However, it was no where near as good. The hero James, the Duke of
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic

I am a huge fan of the “marriage to avoid scandal” plotline in my regency romances, because there’s something supremely romantic to me about two virtual strangers who are forced to forge a marriage of convenience due to society’s dictates, and yet find a deep and abiding love together.

Overall, I did feel that the positive points outweighed the negatives, though there were a few things that seemed to be at odds with the
Noura
Nov 04, 2015 Noura rated it it was ok
I had this book for some time, read a few pages, lost interest and then lost the book. And i found the book again recently. I figured that it must be a sign that i should make the effort to finish the book and find out if it's any good.

I have to say that it was a meh kind of book. Not so bad that i would shelf it again as a DNF but not something that would give me a post-reading buzz. To make it easier, i'll list down why:

1) The hero, James Runyon aka Duke of Alvord, is a complete darling. He's
Hannah
Jun 22, 2009 Hannah rated it liked it
A cute story, with one or two interesting characters, but nothing particularly fascinating or original.

James, the Duke, is guaranteed to sweep girls off their feet with his charming manners and determination to convince Sarah to marry him. Sarah's supposed naivete and lack of understanding in the social life and rules of her class in England are bordering on unbelievable, however. I found it hard to seriously believe that she couldn't understand the danger that James' brother and his hirelings
Bookswithbenefits
Jan 31, 2013 Bookswithbenefits rated it really liked it
Sally MacKenzie begins her "Naked" series with James Runyon, Duke of Alford, and Miss Sarah Hamilton, the poor American cousin of the Earl of Westbrooke, Robert (Robbie) Hamilton (James best friend).

Synopsis: Miss Sarah Hamilton leaves Philadelphia for England when her father, an English second-son transplant, makes her promise on his deathbed that she will return to her Uncle's, the Earl of Westbrooke, house. Tired, poor, and having lost her luggage in the bay by Liverpool, the red-haired Sarah
Yumru
Feb 17, 2013 Yumru rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kitap çok hoş başladı değişik bir konu diyerek okumaya devam ettim ve sayfalar ilerledikçe bazı bölümler ciddi anlamda rahatsız etti,özellikle kötü karakterin yaptığı şeyleri okumak sinirlerimi bozdu açıkçası.

Hadi dedim takılmamaya çalış devam et ama baş erkek karakterin bir anısıda beni iyice gerdi,açıklama yapmak isterdim ama okumayanlara haksızlık olur diye yazmıyorum ama ben cidden etkilendim özellikle titiz biri olrak bazı şeyler beni etkiliyor:))

Kısaca söylemek gerekirse başları güzel başl
Charan
Jul 30, 2011 Charan rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
I would have given this 4 stars except for the fact that it wasn't intense enough. The hero is such a normal guy, nothing special except for the fact that he knows what he wants. The heroine is from America and doesn't like British lords. But at the end she loves him anyway.

The interesting fact is that the hero is a virgin. There are less stories of Virgin hero's and this is my first :D . Love, Villain, Fight, Jealousy, Murder, Rape.. it has all the factor except for the fact that it wasn't inte
Heather Wiese
Feb 28, 2012 Heather Wiese rated it liked it
Melissa
May 31, 2012 Melissa rated it did not like it
This book had a great beginning. That is the only good thing I can say about it.

The heroine, Sarah, was junior highish, to the point that I didn't want to read sex scenes with her. I never did figure out why the male lead, James, liked her. Or why she liked him for that matter. James was just blah. After about the dozenth time of him calling Sarah 'sweatheart' or 'love' I wanted to punch him in the face, if only he were real.

Now on to the thing that irritated me the most. The author made a poin
Anissa
May 29, 2012 Anissa rated it it was ok
I thought this was going to be one of those lighthearted, frothy regency romance novels, with lovable mains & giggle worthy situations & perfect for a poolside read. Not so much. Once we get beyond the initial misunderstanding anchoring the plot. It honestly felt like the author couldn't decide if she wanted to go with lighthearted or something more. Richard & Phillip killed any real levity there could have been to be had in this story, so vile were they. Sarah Hamilton lost me prett ...more
JennB
Sep 24, 2015 JennB rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this more than most any other regency era romance (and I've read A LOT of those). I know it took some hits in the reviews because the H/h were "average". I thought they were real and likable, something I am more used to thinking after reading a contemporary romance. I especially liked James. Very funny, and a guys guy without being all broody alpha male.
I'm not a huge history buff, so I'm not nit picky about details. but one thing I noticed about this book was that I felt like
Melodie
Jul 25, 2011 Melodie rated it really liked it
Desty
Hisrom yang satu ini paket lengkap. Romance-nya hot, humornya dapat, ada intrik, suspense jg ada. Senang bisa baca buku ini.

Suka dengan James yang adorable. Jarang tuh Duke yang masih perjaka di atas 16 tahun. Trus ketemu dengan Sarah yang lugu dan polos soal kebangsawanan di Inggris.

Penasaran deh sama Robbie dan Lizzy.
Victoria (BotulismFreak)
Jun 04, 2012 Victoria (BotulismFreak) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: A woman who appreciates fine men in tight fitting pants.
Every once in a while, a girl needs a little bit of junk-food. The Naked series by Sally MacKenzie is my literary version of a three pound box of cheese-its. What is it about Victorian Romances that whip women into a tizzy?

Any-who, I can happily say that The Naked Duke, the first book of the Naked series, is full to bursting with scandalous situations, hilarious encounters, and of course, gossip mongers of the worst sort. Once you pick it up, you can't help but read through to see if the courage
Dragana
Oct 27, 2011 Dragana rated it it was ok
I am usually a fan of regency historical romance novels, but somehow I did not enjoy this one very much.
(view spoiler)
Amira
Sweet read with a charming hero and heroine.
Rynet
Nov 10, 2015 Rynet rated it did not like it
Zel Polev
Sep 22, 2015 Zel Polev rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
BookMaven
Jul 06, 2015 BookMaven rated it really liked it
James Runyon, Duke of Alford, awakes in an inn to the feel of a beautiful red head! Next thing he knows, his aunt and her companion, busts into his room and finds him just like this. He discovers that his bed companion is an American, named Miss Sarah Hamilton. Miss Hamilton is mortified. She thought that a nice gentleman had given up his room for her. She was exhausted after the long cruise from America. Who was this person who was in bed with her? He was not the man who directed her to this ro ...more
Drunkenness Books
Feb 13, 2015 Drunkenness Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La première chose qui m’a attirée chez ce livre c’est sa couverture colorée qui laissait supposer une comédie plutôt agréable à lire. Pour tout dire (et à ma plus grande honte) j’ai à peine survolé le quatrième de couverture. Mais au final, j’ai eu de la chance car ma lecture s’est révélée très divertissante et j’ai passé un bon moment en compagnie des personnages de Sally MacKenzie.

Suite au décès de son père, Sarah, originaire de Philadelphie, débarque tout juste sur le sol anglais pour retrou
Amy :o)
Mar 16, 2014 Amy :o) rated it liked it
I was looking for a light type of Regency Romance to read when a friend of mine suggested this series. I really didn't want anything over the top, but something with a little substance to it. This book met that criteria.

This was a quick and easy read.... I basically read it in a day. The storyline had the commonly used naïve virgin, the mean protagonist psycho, and the Knight in shining armor so to speak. It also provided some other funny characters like 'the aunts', as well as characters that
ARomanceLover
Jan 24, 2016 ARomanceLover rated it liked it
What I liked about this different take on the forced marriage due to scandal was that the Duke allowed Sarah time to adjust to the idea before they were forced to the altar which I haven't seen often. This was a quick, light read with a typically evil baddy heir who wants the dukedom at any cost so no surprises there (except for his loyal lover/manservant which was interesting). A good start to the series and I enjoyed the supporting characters, especially the Aunt and her companion.
Crystal
I really liked this story and I will definitely read others in the series. I found James to be totally charming and adorable, though his past was a bit unbelievable, if I'm honest. I found Sarah to be plucky, if a bit too naive and trusting given the sources. The ancillary cast was charismatic, the plotline interestingly suspenseful and dark. Let's be honest, it is a bit of fluff reading, and so I'm judging it in the context of what it is and should be. I was thoroughly entertained and hooked. T ...more
Nurina Widiani
Tadinya saya nggak punya harapan lebih pada novel ini mengingat pengalaman saya membaca The Naked King yang karakternya annoying semua. Tapi setelah membaca The Naked Duke... duuuh saya jadi jatuh cinta!!

Saya akui Sally MacKenzie memang memiliki gaya bertutur yang lucu. Bukan hanya adegan yang terasa komikal tapi juga dialog cerdas yang memancing senyum. Di novel inilah saya merasakan kenikmatan membaca "ketelanjangan". Wkwkwk~

James benar-benar hero yang baik dan gentleman sejati. Selera humorny
Artemissia
May 22, 2012 Artemissia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Niveau sensualité on repassera et pour celles qui ont l'habitude des A&P, ça peu dérouter mais finalement j'ai passé un très bon moment de lecture.

Le style de Sally MacKenzie est léger et sa manière de dépeindre la société Londonienne du 18eme siècle, douce et empreinte d'une certaine pudeur.
Les héros sont sympathiques avec un gros plus pour le héros que j'ai trouvé tout mimi et... assez surprenant ^^.
Dhini
I loved this book!!A beautiful historical romantic comedy.This book tells the story of Sarah Hamilton who finds her love story when she entered the wrong bedroom,James (Duke of Alford) bedroom..And this book made me laugh a lot although there was a "dark moment",when Sarah nearly raped by James cousin..I really could imagine this story because Sally McKenzie described it well.One of my favourite book.
Katrina
Jun 27, 2010 Katrina rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable read. A few shocking and very unexpected occurances Out of the norm for a typical romance and I must admit they were rather diverting compaired to the "same-old same-old" in most romance books.

Because of the "OMG what the heck did I just read?" this book held my interest and I applaud Mackenzie for writing certain sections that I never dreamed I'd ever read in a romance.
  • An Invitation to Sin
  • Lords of Desire
  • Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception (Mills & Boon Historical)
  • The Dangerous Lord (Lord Trilogy, #3)
  • A Little Bit Wild (York Family, #1)
  • The Courtesan's Daughter (The Courtesan Chronicles, #1)
  • The Outlaw and the Lady (Daughters of Fortune, #1)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • Her Imperfect Groom (The Grooms, #4)
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • It Takes a Hero (Danvers, #4)
  • The Wicked Ways of a Duke (Girl Bachelors, #2)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • The Heir (Duke's Obsession, #1; Windham, #1)
  • Every Night I'm Yours (The Spinster Club, #1)
  • The Wicked Wyckerly (Rebellious Sons, #1)
  • A Woman of Virtue (Lorimer Family & Clan Cameron #3)
  • Secrets of a Duchess
Sally MacKenzie decided to become a writer in grade school when she read one of her stories to the class. Her classmates laughed and she was hooked. She sat down immediately to pen her first novel.

Well, not exactly.

The hooked part is right--cursed might be a better description--but the sitting down and writing part came later. Much later.

Sally eventually went on to college, majoring in English, a
More about Sally MacKenzie...

Naked Nobility (9 books)
  • The Naked Baron (Naked Nobility, #2)
  • The Naked Laird (Naked Nobility, #2.5)
  • The Naked Marquis (Naked Nobility, #3)
  • The Naked Earl (Naked Nobility, #4)
  • The Naked Viscount (Naked Nobility, #5)
  • The Naked Gentleman (Naked Nobility, #6)
  • The Naked Prince (Naked Nobility, #6.5)
  • The Naked King (Naked Nobility, #7)