Start by marking “Beatlesongs” as Want to Read:
Beatlesongs

Beatlesongs

A complete and fascinating chronicle of Beatles music and history, Beatlesongs details the growth, evolution, and dissolution of the most influential group of out time.
Drawing together information from sources that include interviews, insider accounts, magazines, and news wire services, this is a complete profile of every Beatles song ever written -- from recording detai
Published October 15th 1989 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Beatlesongs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beatlesongs

Julio
Aug 24, 2014 Julio rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ensayo
Hace unas semanas hice un curso(mi primer curso!) en Coursera (www.coursera.org). Para empezar suave y con algo que me encantara, seguí un curso llamado The Music of the Beatles, que analizaba todos los álbumes del más grande grupo de música pop de la historia. 6 semanas de revisar, analizar y estudiar la música de los Beatles así como su historia y su entorno. Fue un enorme placer, altamente recomendable.

El libro de base para el curso es este Beatlesongs. Un trabajo cuidadoso y bien documentado
Naomi
Jul 11, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
I read this book for a Coursera class on the Beatles that I took earlier this year. I actually finished it a while ago, but never got around to actually reviewing it. For the purposes of the class, which went in depth into every single and album the Beatles released throughout their career, this book was perfect. It gives detailed information on everything the Beatles released, going so far as to list guest artists on different tracks, who wrote the song (even the percentage of the song each mem ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
Jul 10, 2015 Amy "the book-bat" rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beatles fans
Recommended to Amy "the book-bat" by: John Covach from University of Rochester via Coursera
To be honest, I did not read the entire book. I used it as a reference for a Beatles music class I was taking on Coursera. I love how this book breaks down the albums and the songs to give the important details of the recordings as well as the stories behind the songs. The book is well researched and contains a lot of quotes form the Beatles and their contemporaries. I really enjoyed reading some of the stories behind the music and it enhanced the class I took quite a bit. I did read most of the ...more
Marie
Jul 11, 2007 Marie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beatles-fanatics
This is a great resource for fanatics. It's not something I've read straight through; instead when I'm listening to an album I refer to it for more info on the songs. For instance, lately I've been listening to the White Album a lot. I already knew a few things about this album, like John hated "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" but I had no idea that it's considered white reggae or that Paul unitentionally mixed up the lyrics and then decided to just keep them that way. The book also includes chart history, a ...more
Tommy
Jun 07, 2008 Tommy rated it really liked it
Song by song, the Beatles (and close associates) share how the tune and lyrics were written, who was responsible for them, and how the band felt about each song (then and in the 70's/80's).

Remarkably, John and Paul only disagree on their contributions to songs once or twice over their entire canon. And, even though they were squabbling rivals by the 70's, they give each other their begrudging due on songs they appreciated...and they give each other hell over songs they disdained.

A fun, insightf
Carla
Jul 29, 2008 Carla rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Carla by: Clint Wells
I've got this on loan from Clint Wells, one of the biggest Beatles fans I know. I'm not reading straight through, but I am read ing up on all of the CDs I own before moving into other parts of the book. And then? I suppose I'll have to buy the rest of their albums...
Well, I now have all the studio albums except With the Beatles, so I decided it was time to go ahead and finish this one off. Now I need to buy my own copy; this is essential reading for a Beatles fan.
Bought my own within a week
Monica
Jul 19, 2009 Monica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is a great little book for the hardcore Beatle fan, with juicey little tidbits of trivia about each song in their cataloge. It's arranged chronologically, making it very easy to even just flip through for reference on a paticular song. There is even estimates on each song about how of the song was written by who. So who do you think came out ahead? John or Paul??? It may surprise you!
I have read a lot of Beatles books through my years, and while most are fun to look at with their vintage p
Rob
Jan 30, 2008 Rob rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all fans of the Beatles
If you're a fan of the Beatles and want to know more about how they wrote their music and what their songs are about, than you should definitely read this book. It's filled with lot's of really great tidbits about the band and their music.
Peter
Apr 29, 2008 Peter rated it really liked it
Song by song listing of every cut the Beatles recorded with quotes and notes about each song. Not The Beatles Recording Sessions, but very good.
Joan Villamil Silva
Oct 20, 2015 Joan Villamil Silva rated it it was amazing
Tad Richards
Mar 04, 2009 Tad Richards rated it did not like it
How do books like this get published? It's a clip job, no new material, no original research, and not even a very good clip job.
Rkb 2015
Jul 12, 2015 Rkb 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Beatles fans
Recommended to Rkb by: Amy
Shelves: england-london

not sure which part of England Liverpool is in, but they did record in London quite a bit.
David
May 12, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
If you are legitimately interested in the Beatles' albums, songwriting and the songs themselves, this book is indispensable.
Brent Wilson
Dec 19, 2012 Brent Wilson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pop-culture
Song-by-song quick reference, showing composing credit (e.g., Lennon .6, McCartney, .2, Starr .2). Just enough detail to give you a context for each song and its value. Great resource!
Jeffrey
May 03, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
Every Beatles song - who wrote it, who played on it, what it meant and what its commercial or critical impact was. 100% essential for serious Beatles fans.
Patrick
Jun 29, 2013 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
many Beatles song books, this one is the best; all the facts, great quotes ... all in an easy format by album
Chris Dean
Mar 27, 2013 Chris Dean rated it it was amazing
Have had this book for some time. Great reference material. Compilation of many interviews detailing the origin and history of the Beatle catalog.
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2016
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2012
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2007
Ama Lux
Ama Lux rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Deborah Ponzio
Deborah Ponzio rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2014
chausman
chausman rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2015
Nj
Nj rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2011
TJZ
TJZ rated it liked it
May 04, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2007
Pat
Pat rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Tom Lowe
Tom Lowe rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Tony Baugh
Tony Baugh rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2015
Hope Swigart
Hope Swigart rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Beatles Forever
  • All You Need Is Ears: The inside personal story of the genius who created The Beatles
  • Paul McCartney
  • Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970
  • A Day in the Life: The Music and Artistry of the Beatles
  • The Complete Beatles Chronicle
  • Fab: An Intimate Life of Paul McCartney
  • Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation
  • A Twist Of Lennon
  • A Cellarful of Noise (Rhino Rediscovery)
  • Tell Me Why: The Beatles: Album By Album, Song By Song, The Sixties And After
  • Nowhere Man: The Final Days of John Lennon
  • Can't Buy Me Love: The Beatles, Britain, and America
  • Unsung Heroes Of Rock 'n' Roll: The Birth Of Rock In The Wild Years Before Elvis
  • All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono