Start by marking “Rolling Stone Magazine: The Uncensored History” as Want to Read:
Rolling Stone Magazine: The Uncensored History

Rolling Stone Magazine: The Uncensored History

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The colorful, illustrated history of Rolling Stone magazine and its equally controversial founder and editor, Jann Wenner. Draper's history is an intelligent and witty behind-the-scenes look at this cultural icon and its course from its hippie beginnings to a high-profile magazine. 16 pages of photographs.
Published May 10th 1991 by Harper Perennial (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Rolling Stone Magazine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rolling Stone Magazine

Marie
Sep 15, 2008 Marie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who love Rolling Stone magazine
I only read the prologue to this. I checked it out for some work-related research and I feel like I've gotten the info I wanted from reading the prologue. Otherwise I just don't care enough to read the rest of the book. I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone magazine. I get it. Rolling Stone was once totally awesome, back when the music business was in its infancy, some now-famous and awe-inspiring writers and photogs worked there and it is definitely a place holder for American pop culture.
Susan
I lived through some of this and enjoyed the memories. However, he got things wrong, such as downplaying the No Nukes concerts. He wasn't in the office and didn't really know the personalities. He zeroed in on Jann Wenner, which makes sense. All-in-all, a good read.
Michelle  (Crazy Cat Lady)
Aug 08, 2015 Michelle (Crazy Cat Lady) marked it as unowned-want-to-read-b
Reminds me that I need to renew my subscription! LOL. Rolling Stone was my source for everything until I discovered Huffington Post, but you don't get the same awesome journalists as those from RS.
Andy
I found this fascinating, despite my being no fan of Rolling Stone magazine. An in-depth history of the rag and, most importantly, the psyche of its publisher.
Steve Coscia
This explained much about why Rolling Stone didn't cover all rock-n-roll bands. Jann Wenner was a rock fan, not an objective publisher.
Jim
Jun 14, 2013 Jim added it
It turns out I am no longer interested in the history of Rolling Stone magazine.
Melinda
This book deserves a reprint ASAP. It's enthralling.
Chuck
Comprehensive.
John Fogde
John Fogde marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Sporeprint
Sporeprint marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Brittany Rivera
Brittany Rivera marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Tracy Q.
Tracy Q. marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Zorena
Zorena marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Anna Ivanovna
Anna Ivanovna is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2015
Larry Deaton
Larry Deaton marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Julli
Julli marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robert Draper (born November 15, 1959)[1] is a freelance writer, a correspondent for GQ and a contributor to The New York Times Magazine. Previously, he worked for Texas Monthly, where he first became acquainted with the Bush political family.
Robert Draper attended Westchester High School in Houston, Texas. He is the grandson of Leon Jaworski, prosecutor during the Watergate scandal, segregation t
More about Robert Draper...
Do Not Ask What Good We Do: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives Dead Certain: The Presidency of George W. Bush When the Tea Party Came to Town: Inside the U.S. House of Representatives' Most Combative, Dysfunctional, and Infuriating Term in Modern History Hadrian's Walls Pope Francis and the New Vatican