Start by marking “Smouldering Fires” as Want to Read:
Smouldering Fires

Smouldering Fires

3.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  167 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Possession...? Reincarnation...? Or a love that would not die...?

No one ever knew that shy, quiet Amy Delatour could reenter the world of the 18th century where her lover Paul waited for her. There she was Ange-Marie -- beautiful, young, and rapturously in love. Even now Paul was there, still waiting for her, and she ran toward him as though time itself were chasing her.

Bu
Published January 11th 1977 by Signet (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Smouldering Fires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Smouldering Fires

Smouldering Fires is sometimes filed as Young Adult, but it bears little resemblance to contemporary YA fiction.

The novel revolves around Amy Delatour's connection to her ancestor named Ange-Marie. Amy is a shy & lonely girl who accidentally trains herself to 'dream true' -- that is, she regularly relives Ange-Marie's emotional attachment to her then-lover Paul Delatour. But Ange-Marie's love for Paul is tied to an unpleasant end in a fiery inferno -- consequently Amy is plagued by pyrophobi
Lynn
Jun 08, 2015 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Anya Seton. Especially love The Winthrop Woman and Katherine. This book however is almost a Harlequin romance. And although Ms Seton seems to do an admirable job of research for her historical fiction, she really missed the mark in writing a contemporary novel. Seton was in her early 70s when she wrote this and obviously very out of touch with modern life. It is about a high school senior at Greenwich High School in 1973. I was a high school senior at GHS that year so feel qual ...more
Amanda
Feb 18, 2012 Amanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written, over the top asshole as the male lead, unrealistic character development for the female lead, and ridiculousness overall. It is just... wow. The past was a different time, and you can see why this book was on the cheap books shelf at the used book store!
Marilyn Mansfield
Very disappointing work by one of favorite authors. Interesting concept about a young girl who becomes obsesses with Longfellow's poem Evangeline but way too short on background and character.
Muriel Schwenck
I remember reading this in highschool after I had read almost everything else by Seton.
Reading this as a teenager should have made it a sure winner for me, but I was disappointed. I thought it wasn't up to Seton's usual standard, and not as well written. I thought she was cranking out "just one more". Maybe I just didn't like the modern portion of the story. But I do love Evangeline!
That said, just because it is different from her usual output, it's still an interesting story.
DEfinitely worth a
Oct 02, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy Delatour is a dowdy, lonely, but very smart high school girl in Greenwich Connecticut. She lives in a small apartment with her domineering Yankee mother and loving French grandfather in the 1970’s. Amy has periods of “dreaming true” where she has visions of Greenwich as it appeared in the 1700’s and of a life in which she is a French Arcadian searching for her long lost love Paul, after the “grand derangement” of Arcadians by the British from Canada during the French and Indian war. Amy has ...more
Isobel
May 18, 2014 Isobel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book as a young teenager in the young adult section of the local library and absolutely loved it. It was so atmospheric and unlike anything I'd read before. I'm not sure I'd want to re-read it with my adult sensibilities as I think it might spoil the memory of it. It was one of those books that helped develop my love of reading.
Julia
Jan 11, 2014 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
All her life, high school senior Amy Delatour has had "dreaming true" sequences, moments or dreams in which she seems to be channeling scenes from a previous lifetime. Her new English teacher, Mr. Stone, is interested in using hypnosis to dig deep into her subconscious in order to determine the source of and possibly resolve Amy's past inner conflict.

I was engaged in this short novel for the first half, but then it simply became uninteresting. Everything was resolved just a bit too pat for my ta
Linda
Jan 05, 2013 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was Anya Seton’s last book, and if you are looking for another meaty historical novel, you won’t find it here. In little more than 150 pages we meet Amy, the grand-daughter of a French-Canadian who tells her stories of his Acadian ancestors who were forced to leave Nova Scotia in the 1700’s. Amy’s identification with these stories brings to light the historical fact that some of these Acadians settled in Greenwich, Connecticut, the setting of the story and the home of Anya Seton. When comp ...more
Ruth
Jul 13, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Spellbinding novel of psychic suspense. I've read it several time. I'm not typically into paranormal or time travel, however Anya Seton tells a compelling tale, leaving you wondering... Was Amy haunted by a lover who lived 200 years ago... she had lived and loved in another time... or did she?
Payten
Aug 03, 2015 Payten rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short
I was expecting so much more from this book. This is the 4th Anya Seton book that I've picked up so far, and I LOVED the other ones, but this one definitely missed the mark. Also, it feels kind of like a repeat of Green Darkness to me.
Constance
Quick read... Finished cover to cover one lazy Saturday morning. Very interesting book. More psychic suspense than romance. This is the second Anya Seton book I've read. Definitely will read more of her work.
Emily
I wanted to like this book - really, I did. It just didn't flow right, and everything was in the wrong place. Besides, I thought the book would be more interesting, but instead I got a poorly written book.
SuzanneG
Jul 20, 2010 SuzanneG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
My second Anya Seton this summer! Usually I only read one! Shorter novel for Seton. Liked it!
Jenalyn C
Jan 09, 2009 Jenalyn C rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
poorly written. disappointed me, ms. seton!
Karen Hogan
Anya Seton's final novel, but not her best.
Linda
May 13, 2011 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read of reincarnation/genetic memory.
Amanda
Shelves: 2011-new
A
anieva
Aug 07, 2011 anieva rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Melissa Allen jadhav
Melissa Allen jadhav marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Sue Lauzon
Sue Lauzon marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Helen McGowan
Helen McGowan marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
  • The House at Sunset (House, #3)
  • The Long Shadow (The Morland Dynasty, #6)
  • The Queen of Diamonds
  • Lady of Horses (Epona, #3)
  • The Moon in The Water (Heron, #1)
  • The Burning Times
  • Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)
  • The Seventh Son
  • A Peculiar Grace
  • The Messiah
Anya Seton (January 23, 1904 (although the year is often misstated to be 1906 or 1916) - November 8, 1990) was the pen name of the American author of historical romances, Ann Seton.

Ann Seton was born in New York, New York, and died in Old Greenwich, Connecticut. She was the daughter of English-born naturalist and pioneer of the Boy Scouts of America, Ernest Thompson Seton and Grace Gallatin Seton.
More about Anya Seton...