Start by marking “Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith” as Want to Read:
Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith

Reasons to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith

This book unravels mysteries, corrects misunderstandings, and offers thoughtful, straightforward responses to common objections about the Catholic faith.

Bestselling author Scott Hahn, a convert to Catholicism, has experienced the doubts that so often drive discussions about God and the Church. In the years before his conversion, he was first a nonbeliever and then an anti-
Published May 8th 2007 by Image (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Reasons to Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reasons to Believe

Catechism of the Catholic Church by Pope John Paul IIStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Confessions by Augustine of HippoThe New American Bible by AnonymousDark Night of the Soul by San Juan de la Cruz
Roman Catholic Reading
41st out of 381 books — 198 voters
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisCatechism of the Catholic Church by Pope John Paul IIStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxMere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Books for Catholics
27th out of 431 books — 133 voters

More lists with this book...

Kit Fry
Apr 19, 2012 Kit Fry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm an atheist, daughter to two devout Catholics. My parents fear for my soul and my mother asked me to read this. Since I don’t believe in the divinity of the Bible, I couldn’t get through parts 2 and 3 other than the very final Chapter. Those sections are like reading fan commentary about the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Star Trek, or many of the other topics of passionate leisure discourse. If you haven't gotten lost in the mystery, you don't get anything out of it.

I thought it was a very po
Chad Judice
Jun 03, 2012 Chad Judice rated it it was amazing
Any Bible Christian that believes all the nonsense and misconception about the Church Jesus Christ established should sit down with there Bible and take a historical and theological journey with Scott Hahn. He used to have those same misconceptions - as a Cradle Catholic it is awesome to rediscover the beauty of the faith through the eyes of someone who made his journey Home.
David
Mar 22, 2010 David rated it liked it
I have wanted to read something by Scott Hahn for a while. For most of his life he was a Presbyterian, even serving as a pastor, before converting to Roman Catholicism. Since then he has written many books on Roman Catholic Christianity. This book is Catholic apologetics and while I am not convinced (and thus, won't be converting), I found this book very helpful. I would recommend this book to Catholics, and non-Catholics, to help understand the Catholic faith and the Biblical arguments for it. ...more
Kaleena Menke
Dec 15, 2011 Kaleena Menke rated it did not like it
Phew! Finally finished! My mother gave this to me years ago in an attempt to try to bring me back to the fold. I promised her I would read it and after 20+ false starts and forcing myself to read it in 5-10 pages chunks, I finally finished the darn book.

Scott Hahn thinks that God in general and Catholicism specifically can be reasoned through apologetics. He only spends one chapter on the existence of God and then the subsequent chapters on why Catholicism is more correct than other non-Catholic
Aaron
Jul 16, 2016 Aaron rated it really liked it
Scott Hahn continues to use his vast knowledge of scripture to explain reasons the Catholic Church is the church founded by Jesus and how best to be an apologist.

"The Bible leads us to the Church. For the Bible does not create the Church or justify the Church or serve as the Church's constitution. The Bible presupposes the Church and depends upon the Church for its own authentication"

"The Church preceded the Scriptures. Indeed, all the New Testament books, except for the Gospels, are primarily
Cody Ray
Nov 22, 2014 Cody Ray rated it it was ok
As the book is broken into three parts, so be my review.

1. Natural Reasons- describes why you should believe in God (from atheist to Christian)
2. Biblical Reasons- describes why you should believe in the Catholic Church (from Christian to Catholic)
3. Royal Reasons- describes why you should believe that Jesus fulfills the Old Testament covenant with David (not sure why this belongs here)

The first part of the book attempts to provide logical reasons to believe in the existence of (the Christian) G
Michael Laflamme
Nov 13, 2015 Michael Laflamme rated it really liked it
This is how apologetics is done. This book is well written, thought provoking, and exciting in its insights. The Catholic faith is defended, explained, and supported, and all of it is done without antagonism, without belittling Catholicism detractors, and without the inflammatory attitude encountered in so many Internet "apologists". Hahn unmistakable loves the Church, loves Christ, and loves those to whom he is reaching out; believer and non believer alike.

Hahn showed me aspects of my faith I
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Sep 21, 2014 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it did not like it
Shelves: spirituality
The more I read anything by Scott Hahn, the further distant I was pushed away from Catholic Church. He writes as if he has waterproof that Catholicism is the ultimate and if you don't then you have missed it big time. Such is arrogance produced by all those who are into apologetics, be they Catholic or Evangelicals. Faith is not proven, Mr. Hahn. Ironically, the more I read spiritual, mystical works of Catholicism, the more deeply I got attracted to it. There is something about American Catholic ...more
Scott
Jul 19, 2012 Scott rated it really liked it
I read this as I was going through RCIA and entering the Catholic faith in 2007. Hahn explains things in excellent detail... A good read for the new Catholic and for the life-long Catholic wanting to re-understand what he/she practices and why.
Ryan
Jun 20, 2015 Ryan rated it really liked it
The book offers to give a defense and clear some misconceptions about Roman Catholicism; but in my case, it just confirmed what I already know.

The first part of the book provides a summary of key Roman Catholic doctrines such as the relationship of reason with faith, Scripture and ecclesiological authority, papal infallibility and apostolic succession, the preeminence of Mary and the redemptive offices of the heavenly saints, the purgatory, and lastly, the Mass.

The last chapters of the book are
Matthew Dambro
Feb 16, 2015 Matthew Dambro rated it it was amazing
Dr. Hahn is a late life convert to Roman Catholicism after spending much of his life as a Presbyterian and a minister.His approach is accessible and at the same time scholarly. His style is admirable for a theologian and writer of apologetics. It is a wonderful book for "newbies" and cradle Catholics. He is thought provoking and comforting; a rare mix these days. After reading a number of the prior reviews by self proclaimed atheists, I wondered if we read the same volume. Faith is said to be a ...more
Joseph
Jun 11, 2016 Joseph rated it really liked it
It is almost divine providence that a former-Presbyterian minister who was a vocal critic of Catholic doctrine is now one of its most ardent and effective apologists. The author is amazingly erudite in his coverage of Catholic doctrine and practice, complete with a comprehensive scriptural source defending their use and etiology. Though a little dry at times, the book is a good cross-section of systematic theology and apologetics.
Derrick Gibson
May 10, 2014 Derrick Gibson added it
Recommends it for: Any sincere Christian looking to understand more about the Catholic Faith.
Recommended to Derrick by: No one I happened on it myself.
Reason's to Believe: How to Understand, Explain, and Defend the Catholic Faith by Scott Hahn is an outstanding book that I read before and during my 3 year voyage to becoming accepted into the church. One year for studying and deciding and two years of formal catechism classes. I did much prayer in that time as well and God always gave me the go feeling that I was finally finding the right religion to belong to. I like the Catholic faith do to there strong use of the personal logic and psyche in ...more
Ashley Tambunga Ratcliff
May 02, 2012 Ashley Tambunga Ratcliff rated it really liked it
This is more of a book that relates some basic Christian/Catholic beliefs to someone who might not know ANYTHING about the Christian faith. Scott Hahn uses great parallelism in relating things that are unknown (or perhaps maybe things the reader hasn't researched enough) to bite-size morsels that are easier to digest. A large chunk is dedicated to explaining why believers have faith in God's existence; the rest of it is finding things about the Catholic faith that is hard to swallow or often thr ...more
Josh-joseph Adongay
Great introductory read on Catholic apologetics.

I skipped the introductory section which is a more naturalist philosophical treatise on how to explain the rational of faith to a non-believers. The other two major sections are more so how to explain the Catholic faith to our separated brethren in Christ.
Don Weidinger
Oct 01, 2015 Don Weidinger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
reasons-check feeling against right reason, believe that we may understand, law of non-contradiction senses causality self-conscious, truth and reason soar on both wings, do not behave to me as liar adulterer cheater aborter, pope on faith and morals.
Traci
Feb 05, 2012 Traci rated it liked it
Final review: I enjoyed part 2 of this 3 part book. Part 1 was Mere Christianity but less effective and less accessible. Part two was what I expected and explained/defended Catholic beliefs (versus general Christian beliefs). I wish I could explain what part three was about, but it mostly just went in one ear and out the other. So, part 2 gets 4 stars from me, the other parts get 1 or 2.

Original thought: Not sure I'll finish this one. I expected something specific to the Catholic faith, but so
JJ
Nov 22, 2012 JJ added it
Of course the primary question on the table between Roman Catholics and Protestants is one of authority. Which makes it all the more confusing when Hahn purports to do exegesis but ends up so often doing eisegesis. It feels disingenuous in the sense that his three-legged stool of tradition, Magesterium, and text means that he's not coming to the text like a Protestant interpreter who's own Wesleyan Quadrilateral has Scripture elevated above, though informed by, reason, tradition, and experience. ...more
Terry Southard
Feb 21, 2016 Terry Southard rated it really liked it
Read for Pastor's Forum at church. Need to go back and reread it, since it was spread over so many weeks.
Kathy
Feb 18, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it
It took a while to get through this book, but I'm glad i finished it. I'm trying to grow in my faith and felt this book would help. Scott Hahn is a convert who is one of the leading apologetics of our time. He explains the Catholic faith from a logical and philosophical viewpoint and that the Catholic Church is the fulfillment of David's and, now, God's kingdom on earth. He explained we should "always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you, ...more
Elaine
Mar 16, 2014 Elaine rated it really liked it
This book rejuvenated my memory of some of what the Catholic church teaches.
kurp
Oct 13, 2015 kurp rated it really liked it
Interesting explanation and apology of Catholic faith, mainly from the Protestant perspective.
Angie
Sep 21, 2016 Angie rated it did not like it
I read this for a theology class. I am not catholic and have no interest in being catholic. I did not enjoy this at all.
Connie Klever
Love Scott Hahn. I decided to read this to help prepare myself for the 10th grade Confirmation class I am teaching. It presents the Catholic faith from a "logical" point of view. Doubt that I can articulate the message as clearly as Hahn, but material is interesting, so far...

Couldn't finish--I think he is too scholarly at times for my old brain...
Cate
Apr 06, 2009 Cate rated it liked it
This is a really good book of general Catholic apologetics. I would have rated it higher except that I've been reading and learning so much lately that I felt he really missed the opportunity to go a lot more in depth. However, I definitely can recommend it if you want a very general over view of the reasons Catholics believe what they do.
Thalia
Apr 12, 2010 Thalia rated it really liked it
This was a very thorough examination of the catholic faith but done briefly...does that make sense? I really enjoyed Hahn little vignettes from his own personal experiances to help illustrate a point or set up a discussion. I found the style easy to read and understand. I will be looking for more work by this author.
Shep
Feb 08, 2010 Shep rated it liked it
A useful little book explaining the basics of the Catholic faith. As far as apologetics goes, Hahn's arguments are weak in this book, but the book is more of a primer than an apologetic tome. It was certainly a helpful book for this Protestant, and no doubt will be even more valuable for my Roman Catholic friends.
Garrett Graham
Jul 18, 2011 Garrett Graham rated it liked it
This book is divided into three parts - philosophy, theology, and salvation history. The first two parts are not bad, but contain nothing particularly groundbreaking. The final part discussing man's covenant with God is phenomenal and is the highlight of the book. This part makes the whole book worth it.
Martina
May 30, 2016 Martina rated it really liked it
a nice book for a very specific purpose and a very specific audience... i don't think it would be enjoyed by anyone else than a Catholic looking for some respectful and sensitive methods to discuss their faith with people who raise various kind of objections.
Whitney Marie
Jun 06, 2013 Whitney Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
This is a great book to read if wanting to know more about the Catholic church. Also, it touches on points about Catholicism from a former Presbyterian minister's perspective, which is also fabulous. I would highly recommend this book as well. :)
  • Catholicism and Fundamentalism
  • Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • Jesus of Nazareth, Part Two: Holy Week: From the Entrance into Jerusalem to the Resurrection
  • Theology for Beginners
  • Where is That in the Bible?
  • How The Catholic Church Built Western Civilization
  • Letters to a Young Catholic
  • Catholicism: A Journey to the Heart of the Faith
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
  • Life-Giving Love: Embracing God's Beautiful Design for Marriage
  • Why Do Catholics Do That?
  • A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do In The Liturgy
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs
  • Mary: The Church at the Source
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
Dr. Scott Hahn was born in 1957, and has been married to Kimberly since 1979. He and Kimberly have six children and are expecting their twelfth grandchild. An exceptionally popular speaker and teacher, Dr. Hahn has delivered numerous talks nationally and internationally on a wide variety of topics related to Scripture and the Catholic faith. Hundreds of these talks have been produced on audio and ...more
More about Scott Hahn...

“the laws of God, like the law of gravity, do not depend upon how I feel about them.” 2 likes
“If human beings had really tried to invent a god, we would never have invented the God of Christianity. He’s just too terrifying. Our God is all-powerful, all-knowing, all-holy, and omnipresent. There’s no place to run and hide from Him, no place where we might secretly indulge a favorite vice. We can’t even retreat into the dark corners of our minds to fantasize about that vice without God knowing it right away.” 2 likes