Start by marking “Across Open Ground” as Want to Read:
Across Open Ground

Across Open Ground

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  4 reviews
With echoes of Cormac McCarthy, an exquisite debut novel from America's heartland.

Seventeen-year-old Walter Pascoe sets out for his first season as a sheep herder and learns quickly the dangers and beauties of the land. Also awakening to matters of the heart, Walter falls in love with a beautiful trapper named Trina Ivy. As they grow closer, America is on the brink of ente
Published June 12th 2003 by Bloomsbury USA (first published May 17th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Across Open Ground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Across Open Ground

Katie
I picked this up because it was a librarian pick and the author is from Idaho. It reminded me a lot of Cormac McCarthy's books and writing style with no quotation marks and a story of the west. The author's writing is beautiful and her descriptions of the the Sun Valley area of Idaho are wonderful. I just couldn't quite like the story enough and the plot seemed bumpy to me. The descriptions of the land were poetic, though, and I loved reading such lovely words.
Em
Dec 21, 2007 Em rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bpl people, past and present
I picked up this book because it is about a sheep herder in the Wood River Valley of Idaho. A touch of home. It was pretty good. I thought the most interesting part was the name of the bad guy. It would sound familiar to most bpl people, and leads me to wonder if the author was intentional in her choice of names. Surely she would have to be careful about that, right? Look it up.
Lary
i enjoyed the first part of the book, but the ending upset me when she suddenly threw in drama and tragedy. i thought it wouldv'e been better if she had kept it the same tone as the rest of the book. but she is a decent author and from idaho, so i'll read whatever she writes next, as long as it doesn't end up depressing!!
Jonathan Rothell
Jonathan Rothell marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
V. Gingerich
V. Gingerich marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Jake Maguire
Jake Maguire marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Rebecca Johnson
Rebecca Johnson marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2013
Kyleena
Kyleena marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2012