Start by marking “Inside Steve's Brain” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  3,645 Ratings  ·  184 Reviews
Steve Jobs has turned his personality traits into a business philosophy. Here’s how he does it.

Published April 17th 2008 by Portfolio Hardcover (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Inside Steve's Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside Steve's Brain

Steve Jobs by Walter IsaacsonHackers by Steven LevyGhost in the Wires by Kevin D. MitnickThe Cuckoo's Egg by Clifford StollSteve Jobs by J.T. Owens
Silicon Valley
55th out of 180 books — 364 voters
Inside Steve's Brain by Leander KahneyDon't Make Me Think by Steve KrugLa Carte et le Territoire by Michel HouellebecqA Practical Guide to Designing for the Web by Mark Boultonpublicité autrement by Jean-Marie Dru
liste test
1st out of 6 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Aug 30, 2008 Tim rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone in business
Shelves: business
While there's not much new here for someone who's followed Apple for years, Leander does a great job of pulling it all together. This is a book I want to make sure lots of people in my company read. It's a compelling portrait of a man who is, by all accounts, extremely difficult. But he is also a great, recurring genius. Understanding what makes him tick is valuable for anyone in business.

The key takeaway that I want my employees to read the book for is the idea that marketing isn't something yo
Jul 26, 2013 Sheila rated it liked it
Recommends it for: The Curious, business readers, Apple / Pixar fans
Recommended to Sheila by: Apple fan, bookworm auntie
Shelves: business, biography
I find this book very informative in that it details how a visionary created something great that it distinguishes not only Apple and Pixar from other tech companies, but also Steve Jobs from other CEOs or C-level executives who walked this earth and who can only claim that they run a company. Steve Jobs didn't just run a company, that's plain to see. He produced hit after hit of high-tech consumer products as the author and tech writer Leander Kahney explains in this 9-chapter, almost 300-page, ...more
Jr Bacdayan
Apr 21, 2013 Jr Bacdayan rated it did not like it
This part (supposed) biography, part (again supposed) leadership guide, is a hollow metal pitcher. You're duped by the weight of it, thinking that it's full. But there's nothing to be gained no matter how much you try pouring something out. If anything, it's full of itself. It reflects Steve Jobs' image, but that of a distorted one. You see, the negative outweigh the positive so much in this book, that you'd end up wishing you hadn't read it. Firstly, the biography part was too praising. It was ...more
حسين المتروك
الكتاب مُلهم، فهذا الرجل لديه الكثير من الجنون ..
رغم كُل شيء إلا أنّه تمكن من التركيز على جوانب مُحدّدة وانطلق ..

الصوتيات، الفيديو، الكتاب.
حاولت تطوير هذه الأمور، وانطلق نحو المجد ..

ستيف جوبز، شخصية مُلهمة غريبة، وهذه الرحلة تُعطي الكثير ..
Apr 29, 2008 Sean rated it liked it
Nothing really new here --much of the material is based on already published sources. But still, it's a nice compilation of how Steve Jobs built (and rebuilt) Apple, and some of his interesting ideas about product development and management.

Loved the deet about the Jobs family taking 2 weeks to purchase a washing machine and dryer (got to keep those black turtle necks clean), as they had dinner-time discussions on design, function, and eco-friendliness of the various products.

Also was reminded t
Tariq A
Nov 13, 2011 Tariq A rated it it was amazing
Shelves: سير, 2011
لم أتعوّد أن أقرأ كتابا بهذا التوثيق الدقيق، فهو في نهاية كل معلومة يُضيف رقمًا يدل على مصدرها، وفي نهاية الكتاب فصل كامل للمراجع يُمكنك من خلاله
معرفة مصدر كل معلومة بشكل مفصّل
الكتاب رائع، يكشف معلومات جديدة، ويتعمق في شخصية ستيف وطبيعة عمله، حتى يُصبح واضحا للقارئ،
وأظنّ أن أكثر الناس لايعرف حقيقة ستيف وطبيعة عمله الفعلية، فهو ليس بمبرمج، ولا مُصمم، إنه شخص دقيق يمتلك رؤية فنية وجمالية

الترجمة سيئة، وربما تمت الاستعانة ببرنامج ترجمة الكتروني
وهذا سبب الترجمة الحرفية لبعض مصطلحات التقنية التي تحت
Rohit Duggal
Apr 02, 2015 Rohit Duggal rated it really liked it

Inside Steve's Brain

It’s hard to believe that one man revolutionized computers in the 1970s and ’80s (with the Apple II and the Mac), animated movies in the 1990s (with Pixar), and digital music in the 2000s (with the iPod and iTunes). No wonder some people worship him like a god. On the other hand, stories of his epic tantrums and general bad behavior are legendary.

Inside Steve’s Brain cuts through
"Inside Steve's Brain" is much more about Apple than it is about Steve Jobs. I don’t remember the book including any personal interviews with Jobs, nor does the writer provide any behind-the-scene knowledge about how Jobs me makes decisions concerning his company. This is a useful book if you want to find out more about Apple in general, but it won't give you much insight about Jobs the man.
I started using iTunes in 2011 for downloading podcasts by several pastors of USA (Joel Osteen and Erwin McManus to name some) and thinking that I owe a lot to Apple, the company that made iTunes, I decided to read Inside Apple and this book, so that I may learn a thing or two concerning the man who made Apple achieve something so significant. I'm aware of Apple due to its reputation, and since I'm a student of Information System, I want to know what impact they actually have made on the Digital ...more
Oct 31, 2011 Nathan rated it liked it
Kahney's writing style is a little clunky, and insights were difficult to come by. I read this before Isaacson's book, and was surprised how many of the stories in Kahney's book are reprised in Isaacson's. There was more personal stuff in Isaacson's (naturally, he was given family access and Jobs's blessing), but both rely heavily on early Apple and Macintosh stories. The most obviously reproduced bit was the iMac launch keynote rehearsal where Jobs wanted the lights adjusted just so the iMac wo ...more
Fernanda La Salye
É difícil acreditar que um homem revolucionou os computadores nos anos 1970 e 1980, o cinema de animação e a música digital nos anos 1990. Por outro lado, são lendárias as histórias de seus repentinos acessos de raiva, revelando o verdadeiro Steve Jobs. Então, o que há, realmente, dentro do cérebro de Steve? Segundo Leander Kahney, é um fascinante feixe de contradições.

O autor destila os princípios que guiam Jobs ao lançar produtos arrasadores, ao atrair compradores fanaticamente fiéis e ao admi
The book i read was inside man the script this is not it because it was close to it. the inside man was about a bank robbery with the four robber in an van dressed in genator suit acting like they are cleaning the bank but really they are robbing the place.

i could make a text to world connection because all the time people rob people in the bank or people.

i gave this book a five star because i liked the movie and i like how the robbers was smart how they dress to trick the people in the bank.
May 15, 2013 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology, business
Kaheny does a good job synthesizing the leadership lessons of, and success drivers behind, Steve Jobs into a fast reading book. However, if you're looking for a play-by-play of what happened behind closed doors at Apple since Steve Jobs returned, this is not it. He goes into more depth than say your average magazine article, but the book is about how Steve works, not a history of Apple. Very fast reading - perfect for round trip plane travel of any reasonable length.
Narinder  Bhatia
Feb 03, 2016 Narinder Bhatia rated it liked it
Being an ardent fan of Steve Jobs prompted me to pick up the book (ironically i am not a user of Apple products !). Frankly sharing i had high expectations from the book but it clearly fell very short of those. There are flashes of Job's genius touched upon/ highlighted in the book but it's more of a history of the evolution of Apple products and of the digital consumerism as well. The only silver lining are the learnings described towards the end of the chapters.
Luciano Palma
Uma boa biografia que reflete a impressionante capacidade de inovação deste gênio que definitivamente entrou para a história com seu espírito revolucionário.
Leitura que vale a pena, para perceber que mesmo admirando um ícone, você pode descobrir características dele com as quais você não concorda. E viva a diferença! :)
O ponto mais fraco é a tradução. Esta deixa bastante a desejar.
Martin Danko
Jul 22, 2015 Martin Danko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odporucam pre lahke nazretie do kotlika, ktory pod Jobsovym vedenim zacal varit ten zakaznicky najchutnejsi technologicky gulas sucasnej doby.
Apr 08, 2014 David rated it really liked it
Una interesante visión de la obra de Steve Jobs. Está algo incompleta porque sólo cubre hasta la aparición del iPhone, y hecha años antes de su muerte, pero es disfrutable de todas formas.
Jan 23, 2011 Mauro rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, biografia
Articolone agiografico. Qualche aneddoto interessante (full disclaimer: biografie di imprenditori viventi non è un genere che frequento, quindi il mio giudizio può essere non equilibrato!)
Mohammed Alhamad
من اراد أن يفهم استراتيجية ابل وكيف سيطرت على الساحة فليقرأ هذا الكتاب
ستيف جوبز = ابل
ابل = ستيف جوبز
David Price
Oct 25, 2016 David Price rated it liked it
Great insight to a modern genious, not sure working for him would have been much fun though. Spotted the market and knew where he wanted to be and whilst he was demanding and wanted his definition of perfection he had the rare talent of knowing where he wasn't expert and hired those who were. Great insight to the workings of a genious.
Jeremy Goh
Oct 23, 2016 Jeremy Goh rated it really liked it
The book is extremely research intensive, with a great peek of decision making and stories of the widely praised Apple leader despite his quirks and intricacies.
Omar Idrees
Although i hate Mac, this book makes you adimre and even love Jobs
Aug 23, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009, biographies

Affirmation of Rygh's Law: Apple has become the perfect vehicle to realize Jobs' long-held dreams: developing easy-to-use technology for individuals. He's made-and remade-Apple in his own image. "Apple is Steve Jobs with ten thousand lives," Guy Kawasaki, Apple's former chief evangelist, told me. Few corporations are such close mirror images of their founders. "Apple had always reflected the best and worst of Steve's character," said Gil Amelio.

At Apple, the corporate culture trickles down from
Sandeep Tuladhar
Aug 28, 2014 Sandeep Tuladhar rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 16+
Shelves: biography
we all know Steve jobs is one of the worlds greatest minds on the planet , known throughout the world for several creation such as the Macintosh, Pixar , Mac OS/X, iPod, imac, iPhone and ipad Steve has revolutioned the way we spend our daily lives using technology.
Knowing that Steve transformed the boring geek computer into a sleek and sexy consumer appliance, pioneered the technology and saved apple when it was at its bleakest.
Kahney attempts to go beyond the obvious by offering a detailed, con
Loy Machedo
Mar 05, 2012 Loy Machedo rated it it was amazing
Let me surprise you with something.
No wait.
Allow me to do it at the end.
So read on………

From his authorized biography to his Presentation secrets, from his management style to even a book on his famous quotes – I have them all. So it should be of no surprise to you that I read this expanded edition of the book titled ‘Inside Steve’s Brain’ by Wired News editor Leander Kahney.

If it’s about Jobs, the reading it is my job.

But here is surprise number 1.
I happened to find out that there was a bit of
4 to 4.5 stars.

Summary: Steve Jobs has turned his personality traits into a business philosophy. Here is how he does it.

It’s hard to believe that one man revolutionized computers in the 1970s and ‘80s (with the Apple II and the Mac), animated movies in the 1990s (with Pixar), and digital music in the 2000s (with the iPod and iTunes). No wonder some people worship him like a god. On the other hand, stories of his epic tantrums and general bad behavior are legendary.

Inside Steve’s Brain cuts throu
Bojan Tunguz
Jun 25, 2011 Bojan Tunguz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There have been plenty of books that tell the story of Apple Computers' origins and the early days, and as correctly pointed out by some other reviewers there has been a lot of press about Steve Jobs and Apple over the years. However, I find it useful and interesting to have many of those stories collected in a single book, especially if it mostly deals with Apple's recent resurgence. Steve Jobs, somewhat predictably, does not feature too prominently in this book. This may be surprising consider ...more
steve jobs memang orang hebat.
saya terkesan ketika ia memromosikan ipad: tampil sederhana tapi jelas bahwa presentasi seperti itu butuh persiapan matang dan lama. cocok buat produk yang sempurna disainnya, seperti halnya ipod, dan laptop apple yang saya tahu selama ini.
ternyata betul. dari buku ini ia diperkenalkan sebagai pribadi yang perfeksionis dan hebat sehingga membaca buku ini sosok steven tampil sesempurna produk-produk yang dihasilkan isi kepalanya.

buku ini menambah koleksi buku2 yg dit
Jul 31, 2009 Scott rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I made the conversion to MAC two years ago and I've never regretted it. Because of my Apple's role in post-production, the quality of my photography feels vastly improved. I manage much of my music through my
iPOD and iTUNES. Of big time importance, my iMAC does not crash or get infested by all the plagues that had haunted my previous P.C.s.
Thus for me, Inside Steve's Brain was an informative and interesting read. I'm now aware that we live in "the digital lifestyle" era. Apple has been the bi
Apr 28, 2016 Hanike rated it it was amazing
Leander Kahney achieved something very few writers did when talking about master Steve Jobs: he was impartial to his stormy temperament while exploring the greatness behind the methods used by such a genius leader and "followers-maker" through its very concise chapters with a "most important points' recall" in form of lists by the end of each one.
This is the one book about Steve Jobs you wanna read if you have to chose only one and it's a must-read for anyone interested on improving his/her prof
  • Teaching the Pig to Dance: A Memoir of Growing Up and Second Chances
  • Return to the Little Kingdom: Steve Jobs, the Creation of Apple, and How It Changed the World
  • iCon: Steve Jobs, the Greatest Second Act in the History of Business
  • Inside Apple
  • Design Like Apple: Seven Principles for Creating Insanely Great Products, Services, and Experiences
  • Larry's Kidney: Being the True Story of How I Found Myself in China with My Black Sheep Cousin and His Mail-Order Bride, Skirting the Law to Get Him a Transplant--and Save His Life
  • Tommy's Honor: The Story of Old Tom Morris and Young Tom Morris, Golf's Founding Father and Son
  • Options: The Secret Life of Steve Jobs
  • The Steve Jobs Way: iLeadership for a New Generation
  • The Gates of November
  • Googled: The End of the World as We Know It
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • Jeff Corwin: a Wild Life: The Authorized Biography
  • The Lodger Shakespeare: His Life on Silver Street
  • Gods at War: Shotgun Takeovers, Government by Deal, and the Private Equity Implosion
  • The Journals of Ayn Rand
  • The Publisher: Henry Luce and His American Century
  • King of the Godfathers

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Leander Kahney is managing editor, formerly a senior reporter at Wired News, the online sister publication of Wired. He is the author of The Cult of Mac , Cult of iPod and Inside Steve's Brain. Kahney is best known for his popular blog, Cult of Mac (The Cult of Mac Blog). As a prominent writer on Apple- and Mac-related topics, Kahney was once theorized (incorrectly) to be the identity of Fake Stev ...more
More about Leander Kahney...

“Someone started taking notes, Steve said, 'You don't need to takes notes. If it's important, you'll remember it'.” 5 likes
“When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That’s because they were able to connect experiences they’ve had and synthesize new things. And the reason they were able to do that was that they’ve had more experiences or they have thought more about their experiences than other people. . . . Unfortunately, that’s too rare a commodity. A lot of people in our industry haven’t had very diverse experiences. So they don’t have enough dots to connect, and they end up with very linear solutions without a broad perspective on the problem. The broader one’s understanding of the human experience, the better design we will have.” 1 likes