Start by marking “The Science of Mind” as Want to Read:

4.39 of 5 stars 4.39  ·  rating details  ·  1,099 ratings  ·  51 reviews
Here is the complete first edition of The Science of Mind. For the careful practitioner this is the preferred edition, as later editions lacked the power and focus of this edition and were simply less readable. Here you will find six lessons and countless affirmations that will help you unlock the power of your mind and find higher truths. You wont find a guide to the scie ...more
Published September 13th 2007 by Wilder Publications (first published 1938)

To ask other readers questions about The Science of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Science of Mind

Lucya
Apr 16, 2013 Lucya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who desires happiness
This book is great! I could end my review here. This knowledge is power!Such well worth the time to read this. On our journey here, we all want to better ourselves, whether we admit it or not You do not have to be poor, or miserable, or lonely. Choose what you want. Sit and wait. Know that it is coming. Live expecting good to come. It will. Stop! Do not doubt. Train yourself to think the right way. If you are living a life that is sad and just getting bye, you must stop here and now and begin to ...more
Angelica Taggart
I've read this book every year since 1981 ... everytime I find something new!
Powerful Stuff!
Claude Vertu
Inasmuch as many of the the author's examples contradict his own teachings, the book still deserves 5 stars for its general overall excellence. The Science of Mind is a book that anybody who is serious about understanding universal/quantum concepts should absolutely read, and study, time and again, because it talks about the many aspects of science/religion/spirituality which are left out of most books published today, and in recent times, about these concepts. It goes well beyond the ideal of m ...more
Sandy
powerful stuff.... whether you believe in 'god' or not, this stuff is good and it works if you allow yourself to try the principles expounded upon and then just observe what occurs... That is the whole truth of the matter.... no matter what anyone might call it... religion, god, whatever, with a Positive Mental Attitude and Focus we can each change our lives. Period.
Vinay K. Venugopal
Great book.. wisdom of ages.
Alia
Bless the heart of this author! This book to me was and still is a guide that is helping me in my life. When I got hold of this book, I was going through a tough time in my life trying to find happiness with myself while at the same time trying to to prove myself to those i loved most. This book taught me how to deal with the most difficult situation with Spiritual help. One cannot read this book if you do not believe in God or are not Spiritual in any kind of way. I consider myself lucky to hav ...more
David Teachout

At times sophomoric, at others deeply profound Holmes is here giving the total visionary outline of the religion or spiritual discipline he created. It does not have to be read in order and in fact likely shouldn't, instead perused as a spiritual guide to further understanding the principles of Religious Science. Contemplation is key here as is an appreciation for how standard religious words are used differently. Once clear a whole new world opens up.
Linda
Amazing book!!! I recommend to anyone who is a seeker of the meaning of life. The first lesson is a bit confusing but don't quit!! The further along you get it all starts to come together! Truly a life changing book!
Ray Justice
Just loaded with thoughts and realities for understanding how we function as thinking human beings. I have had a copy of this book for many, many years.
Jim Razinha
The Science of Mind

Don't be fooled by the title - I was, but only until the third paragraph. I don't remember how it got on my list, but once started, I felt I had to train wreck through it. I've read a number of real mind science books in the last couple of years and this this is a simply a largely Christian religious text with a few scientific mentions in it. There is a bit of pseudoscience, but Holmes clearly doesn't think so.

It's unfair to ding Holmes for a 1920s perspective, and it's unfair
Kara Lane
The Science of Mind is a wonderful book written by a great spiritual teacher. In it, Ernest Holmes explains that there is a creative law in the universe which we tap into through our thoughts. He shows us how to apply spiritual principles to everyday life.

He illustrates how man can work out his own destiny and determine what type of life he will lead. He points out that the mind of man is connected to the mind of God. Since the mind of God is infinite, this means man's mind contains unlimited po
Nancy
I subscribe to "Science of Mind" magazine and really like the philosophy of the reilgion founded by Ernest Holmes. However, I could not finish his classic book. His use of Spirit, Soul, Subconscious, Conscious, Mind, etc. only boggled my mind. So, I gave up on reading it. Will have to content myself with articles of his that appear in the magazine and clearer interpretations of others as to his beliefs.
Cheryl
I loved this book. It's easy to read, inspiring, and spiritually confirming. I found an old version at a thrift store at a very lonely time in my life, when I first moved to CA and missed family and friends. Another one of those creative visualization / law of attraction books.
Stephanie
This is the most profound book I have ever read. Dr. Holmes combines eastern religion, christianity, metaphysics, positive thinking, creative thought, and affirmation prayer into a tour of the most helpful spiritual, emotional and physical ideas of our time. If you have ever been put-off by conservative religion and an emphasis on guilt and sin, or don't even really even believe in a Higher Force, then even you too will find this useful. Drawing on the Bible and other major spiritual writings an ...more
Vanessa
Excellent to read, as long as you pay attention and don't read it when tired. Unless you can follow a hardcore steady train of thought for long periods of time when sleepy.
Jay
What can you say about the book that explains... pretty much everything. This is the instruction manual for life.
Sverre
== A review of Science of Mind and a critique of New Thought ==

This remains the best textbook of “New Thought” metaphysics. Ernest Holmes (1887-1960) was no doubt the most analytical, comprehensive and scientific (also pseudo-scientific) of metaphysical thinkers and writers in his lifetime. I have admired much of the contents of this book since buying it in the 60s. But reading it, I still find it difficult to mentally stay on course with his terminology from one page to the next. That may partl
Theresa
For me, this was definitely a "take what you need and leave the rest" sort of book. But what I was able to take from it was really lovely.

I don't subscribe to the whole "if you wear glasses, speak to God and your eyesight will improve" (there is an actual prayer for that specific thing) nor do I believe that cancer or hardened arteries can be "cured by love." ...Or that physical disease is imaginary.

But that said, I liked the way Holmes framed his ideas on positive thinking and positive action.
Je Di
This book is what led me to a much deeper and profound spiritual realization of life. The power of our thoughts and words was a concept foreign to me before reading this wonderful work by Ernest Holmes. It began in me a quest to refine my mental chatter and take responsibility for what I claim to be true.

Once you endeavor seriously with what Dr Holmes provides in this wonderful book, expect dramatic, positive results!
Erica Schwer
The Science of Mind is an overall interesting and informative book, covering the topics of metaphysics, spirituality and science. Though it can be hard to follow at times, due to its far out topics, it is worth the amount of attention that is required to read. Holmes provides a lot of information that most people typically do not know about the power of our own minds and psychic abilities. An open mind is definitely necessary when reading this book, because some of the scientific facts provided ...more
Emily
I have owned this book for at least 25 years, but never read it, until now. I don't know why I never read it, perhaps I thought I would not be able to find the time to read a 648 page book. I took it off the shelf last month and read it. I wished I had read it 25 years ago.
Andy
Apr 29, 2013 Andy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone seeking spiritual paths
Recommended to Andy by: Another seeker
Shelves: keeper, reference
I like the book. It's one that I probably won't read cover-to-cover though. Full of "New Thought" spiritual/religious ideas. Maybe he started the New Thought movement...not sure. I do relate to the belief system presented.
Zvia
A seminal book on metaphysical thought. Holmes' writing however is not always as accessible as one would like. I have the 50th anniversary edition and have no idea who designed this very ugly cover in my book!
Elvia
My first book leading me into the spirituality that I have become comfortable with. When I open this book I can always find something positive and good to make me feel closer to God.
Memo
(Audio version)
I's got really good stuff in it but it is not reader/listener friendly. Guy talks pretty fast and some points need further or deeper explanation.
Still, good stuff.
Sverre
I have reviewed the text elsewhere. The reader, the Rev. Cynthia James, is the best reader of non-fiction that I have heard. Her pronunciation, emphasis and mellow tone are exemplary.
Science of Mind textbook by Ernest Holmes---Does it need re-editing? 2 7 Aug 27, 2011 07:03PM
  • Spiritual Economics: The Principles and Process of True Prosperity
  • Spiritual Liberation: Fulfilling Your Soul's Potential
  • The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity
  • Practicing the Presence: The Inspirational Guide to Regaining Meaning and a Sense of Purpose in Your Life
  • Game of Life and How to Play It
  • Spiritual Growth: Being Your Higher Self
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
  • The Master Key System
  • A Philosopher's Notes: On Optimal Living, Creating an Authentically Awesome Life and Other Such Goodness, Vol. 1
  • You'll See It When You Believe It: The Way to Your Personal Transformation
  • Power of Awareness: New Edition Incorporating Neville's Later Notes
  • Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul
  • The Vortex: Where the Law of Attraction Assembles All Cooperative Relationships
  • Make Shift Happen: Change How You Look by Changing How You Think
  • The Crack in the Cosmic Egg: New Constructs of Mind and Reality
  • The Disappearance of the Universe
  • The Presence Process: A Healing Journey Into Present Moment Awareness
  • Handbook to Higher Consciousness
This Thing Called You Living The Science Of Mind Creative Mind and Success How to Use the Science of Mind: Principle in Practice 365 Science of Mind: A Year of Daily Wisdom From Ernest Holmes

“Electricity was a reality in the universe when Moses led the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt. This is true of all natural laws; they have always existed but only when understood may they be used.” 14 likes
“There is one power in the Universe and we can all use it.” 12 likes