Start by marking “Dark Empire II” as Want to Read:
Dark Empire II

Dark Empire II (Star Wars: Dark Empire #2)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  948 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
In Star Wars: Dark Empire, the Rebel Alliance once again fought and defeated the forces of the Empire. Or did they? Now, as Luke Skywalker searches the galaxy for clues to the history of the Jedi, Han and Leia lead the Rebel Alliance against a terrible new threat as a group of "Dark Jedi" fulfill the Emperor's final mission: Operation Shadow Hand, a devastating plan carrie ...more
Paperback, 2nd Edition, 194 pages
Published September 12th 2006 by Dark Horse Comics (first published August 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Empire II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Empire II

Roy
Aug 25, 2015 Roy rated it liked it
Not a bad little Star Wars story, but I feel like it left me hanging a little too much. I'm going to have to find out where this story continues!
Terence
May 02, 2012 Terence rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars completists?
Suffers from a poorly thought out story and not-very-good artwork. Alas, if only they'd let me loose to revise the whole SW universe :-)

Ah, well, I have my private version of the saga to comfort me.

Trekscribbler
Jul 31, 2014 Trekscribbler rated it liked it
Erm … it’s a bit difficult to figure what to make of Dark Horse’s DARK EMPIRE II. Rarely does a title seem so entirely unnecessary much less a crass attempt to cash in on a middling first entry (namely DARK EMPIRE) but that’s honestly about the best I can figure come the “big finish” … which isn’t so much a “big finish” as it is a set of circumstances leaving our heroes dangling for, yet, another inevitable installment.

Look, I get that the first business of any company is to obviously create ano
Jaime
Feb 01, 2016 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook. This sounds more like a comic than the first Dark Empire. There are some strange characters, and not only because they're reclusive Jedi. The Emperor's recent clone is a bit kooky, which makes sense given the number of times he was cloned with less than stellar technology.
Boba Fett's voice is horrendous. Wedge's is distracting, but Fett was a horrible choice.

Luke brings back Kam Solusar from the Dark Side, whose name I always pronounced wrong in my head. He learns th
Jared Bird
Dec 01, 2015 Jared Bird rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-wars
I have an idea for the sequel. The Emperor uses the galaxy gun to shoot at New Alderaan, but Luke goes out in a ship to stop the attack by the power of the Force. The Emperor sends a ship with 45 Darkside Warriors to stop Luke, but Han Solo manages to get them to accidentally crash into a nearby moon. The Emperor reveals his real ultimate weapon, a spaceship the size of a planet, that goes to kill Luke, but the Rebel Alliance reveals that they have a space ship the size of a planet too, which is ...more
Jason Scott
Feb 09, 2010 Jason Scott rated it it was ok
The art was even worse than the 1st one. My 9 year old draws better than these artists.
Scott Maclellan
I think I should have left the Star Wars books in my childhood. The book was okay. There are definitely cheesy parts and the full cast audio book version was bit too much for me. The other day a friend commented on how every new star wars book/comic added their own new Jedi's and ships and suprises. This series takes it to a new level with horrible weapons of destruction and all new threats from the darkside. While entertaining I feel like it warps and shifts the original story more than I would ...more
Bradley
Aug 29, 2009 Bradley rated it did not like it
Utterly pointless sequel to the original Dark Empire. What little story there is takes everything that was weak about the original and maximises to the Nth degree. The Emperor returns again (nullifying the Skywalker confrontation at the end of the first book!) doing nothing but bark orders, Boba Fett returns again and rehashes the same shit he pulled in the first book, and more superweapons return…. again…. There is very little this comic offers. It has the same crap colours as the first, Luke S ...more
Christopher Rush
I can understand why some people don't like the Dark Empire stories, and while they weren't my favorites, it is fine. Admittedly, Veitch's writing borders more on narrator summary, as if it is one long flashback or "previously on Star Wars...," and that got annoying by the end, but the story itself is all right. Just because it contradicts things that came later shouldn't mean much (if anything). It has a fast pace, leaves gaps without spoon-feeding us mounds of details, and does some fairly bol ...more
Sergio
Jul 01, 2013 Sergio rated it did not like it
Wow! The emperor was dead, but now he's not, and he's got new unbelievable weapons up his sleeve: droids infused with the dark side's energies, dark troopers, also with dark side energies, dark henchmen, also with filled with dark energies, dark rancors bread in the dark side and just waiting for the correct moment to attack, and last but certainly not least, a huge space cannon. Having read all of the Dark Empire Trilogy back to back, the only thing I can say is that it went from, so so, to bad ...more
William Redd
Here we have Veitch's second effort, sequel to the first Dark Empire, that picks up shortly after the first. The Emperor is finally dead... whoop, spoke too soon. A lazy plot point gets even lazier. One thing I really enjoyed about the Thrawn trilogy was seeing someone OTHER than the Emperor threaten the burgeoning New Republic, and Veitch seems to have taken a huge step backwards. In fact, the further into the Dark Empire story, the less of Zahn's work seems to be recognized. General Bel Iblis? ...more
logankstewart
Jun 24, 2011 logankstewart rated it did not like it
As much as I love STAR WARS, and even enjoyed Tom Veitch's first Dark Empire, this graphic novel was horrible. I'm not sure if it's canon or not (I suspect it is), but any STAR WARS fan should skip this one.

Dark Empire II, by Tom Veitch, may possibly be the worst STAR WARS comic I have ever read. The characters are dull and flat, with little development put into any. The Emperor's revived clone (again) is utterly ridiculous. Luke is dumb. Han and Leia's relationship is as good as Hayden Christen
Chad
Aug 19, 2007 Chad rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE!!!
I bought Dark Empire 1 and 2 to find out what happened to Luke between the Zahn series and the Jedi Academy series. What I discovered, was a Death Star sized hole in the wonderful Star Wars story.

Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy should be dragged to the streets and shot for the sin against Star Wars that Dark Empire is.

First and foremost, the story is horrible. The only thing they got right is that Leia is pregnant, everything else is utter nonsense.

Second, they were completely off portraying the c
C.
Mar 19, 2015 C. rated it did not like it
In my quest to read pretty much every source Anakin Solo is mentioned in, I went back to try to read Dark Empire II.

The art in this graphic novel is not my favorite (to say the least), the writing simply didn't pull me in, and it was difficult to get invested in the characters as a result of this.

I mostly skimmed the novel and returned it to the library. Probably will not try looking at it again.
Anthony
Dec 23, 2014 Anthony rated it it was ok
"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering." James T. Kirk, Captain of the Battlestar Galactica

That sums up my feelings for this book. It's a jumbled mess that incorrectly references places and people I like. My greatest fear is that Episode VII will be something like this. My second greatest fear is that Episode VII is that Jaxxon won't be in Episode VII.
J
Jul 19, 2015 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
its a bridge story for me. it adds to the star wars mythology. not all reads are great. not all art is stunning. it suffices. artwork was not as crappy as others lament, but its okay. wasnt a one star but its not an out of the parker either. okay metaphors aside, it was okay. do I think it could've been better. absolutely. still its okay.
Chad Saunders
Dec 22, 2011 Chad Saunders rated it did not like it
This was really really bad. There were so many continuity errors. Some of the subplots were of interest, but the major story line as a whole needed to be majorly reworked. With bowl of the Dark Empire novels, they should have dropped the whole cloned Emperor bit in favor of a dark Jedi who had been secretly trained by The Emperor who rose up and took control over the failing Empire. This was a cringe worthy graphic novel. The only way I made it through it, is by thinking of what could have been ...more
Micah Siegmund
Mar 02, 2014 Micah Siegmund rated it liked it
Continuing where Dark Empire left off, this story is similar, with the Emperor showing up again with another world-destroying weapon. Sound familiar? The inclusion of "Empire's End" is a nice touch though.
Geoff Glenister
Jan 17, 2016 Geoff Glenister rated it really liked it
Many fond memories of reading this as a young teen. Luke is such a badass in this book. It's still a bit abrupt at times (especially the ending), but I enjoyed reliving this experience.
Angela
Jun 23, 2015 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-horse, star-wars
The Emperor wants Leia and her children. Meanwhile, Luke is looking for jedi secrets. Bit of an odd one this, the jedi stuff is interesting but the rest just seems boring. I had no interest in the battles, and didnt feel a menace from the sith at all. An ok read.
Yves
Oct 23, 2012 Yves rated it did not like it
Shelves: star-wars, bd, sf
Après les aventures du premier tome, l'Empereur envoie des gens pour aller chercher Leia et ses enfants et en même temps, ils doivent tuer Luke Skywalker. Luke est à la recherche d'anciens Jedi qui auraient survécu à la purge après la Guerre des Clones.

J'ai détesté le premier tome à cause de sa mauvaise histoire et des mauvais dessins. Pour celui-ci, l'histoire est encore pire. Au niveau de l'art, c'est toujours aussi laid. C'est un style très minimaliste mais ça ne va pas très bien avec l'unive
Cristhian
Jun 20, 2015 Cristhian rated it it was ok
Skip it.
Si necesitan background, mejor vayan a la Wookiepedia.
Brian
Apr 10, 2014 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this is a fair enough series. but i find that i just don't care enough.
Matthew
Audiobook
Malapata
Jan 22, 2014 Malapata rated it did not like it
Los mismos vicios que la anterior entrega: historia que avanza a trompicones y abuso de textos de apoyo.
Timothy McNeil
Apr 01, 2012 Timothy McNeil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diehard Star Wars fans
Slightly more coherent than Dark Empire, Dark Empire II still has unflattering coloration, uses characters from the past to ill-effect (why bring Boba Fett back just to have him suck?), and has an odd fascination with who is designing all the cool new toys for the Imperial Forces.

The larger problem is that there is really no reason for the story to proceed at the pace it does (or for it to revisit as many of the locations from Dark Empire).
Jason
May 07, 2012 Jason rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Only the most diehard Star Wars completist
Ugh. One of the few books I raced through just to get it over with. Although I have long wanted to read the Timothy Zahn sequels to the Star Wars trilogy (the "first" trilogy, for those who include the prequels as actual Star Wars movies) but reading this crap gives me pause. Maybe I should just avoid all these supplemental materials and enjoy the first three films in their Han-shot-first glory.
Mike
Jun 21, 2011 Mike rated it liked it
This one was a fun continuation of the first Dark Empire, although it got a little too out there at times. One of the problems with writing about a diverse group of alien races is the names of individuals can get a little weird and they just end up looking like nonsense words.

That said, still a fun read, even if the end wraps up a little too well and too quickly for me.
Patrick
Dec 27, 2015 Patrick rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Terrible writing.
  • Union (Star Wars)
  • Crimson Empire, Volume 1 (Star Wars: Crimson Empire, #1)
  • The Last Command (Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy Graphic Novels, #3)
  • Fall of the Sith Empire (Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi, #2)
  • Soldier for the Empire (Star Wars: Dark Forces, #1)
  • Star Wars: Infinities - A New Hope
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 5
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: Shadows of The Empire
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • Star Wars Tales, Vol. 6
  • Vector, Vol. 2 (Star Wars: Rebellion #4, Star Wars: Legacy #6)

Star Wars: Dark Empire (3 books)
  • Dark Empire I
  • Empire's End (Star Wars: Dark Empire, #3)