Start by marking “The Paper Chase” as Want to Read:
The Paper Chase

The Paper Chase

When initially published, The Paper Chase was widely acclaimed as the first novel to realistically describe the experiences of students within American law schools. The film version appeared to sensational reviews, and John Houseman, playing Professor Kingsfield won an Academy Award. Then, with Houseman again playing Kingsfield, The Paper Chase appeared as a television ser ...more
Published September 2nd 2004 by Whitston Publishing Co Inc (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about The Paper Chase, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Paper Chase

The Secret History by Donna TarttPossession by A.S. ByattLucky Jim by Kingsley AmisBrideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughThe Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
Favorite Novels About Professors or Academics
56th out of 289 books — 436 voters
The Bell Jar by Sylvia PlathThe Secret History by Donna TarttBrideshead Revisited by Evelyn WaughFranny and Zooey by J.D. SalingerThe Sorrows of Young Mike by John Zelazny
Campus Days
59th out of 281 books — 174 voters

More lists with this book...

Alon Shalev
Mar 02, 2010 Alon Shalev rated it it was amazing
A great book with a timeless theme - the relationship between teacher and student - but with plenty of themes that make this a highly individualized novel.

Also, I loved the insight into the mechanics of an ivy league law school. Working with law students here on the West Coast only added to the spice of this crazy rite-of-passage.
Aug 10, 2009 Hyland rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is a fabulous read. It's short, takes a day to read, and gets right to the point. It does the job so much more brilliantly and pungently than Turow's One L. This is the definitive book about the first year at the Harvard Law School. It really made me glad I went somewhere else.
Lisa Davis
Feb 28, 2016 Lisa Davis rated it liked it
Two good things:First, it is a good story. This is a story that needed telling. Second, the environment is described in a way that one can visualize it. Langdell Hall, the dorms, etc.

The distracting feature of this book is the style in which it is written. I describe it as "stilted," but I don't mean stiffly dignified; it is rather "stacked together." Too clipped at some points and the pacing seems very fast.

Overall, it is a fun read and, again, a good story. To quote ancient wisdom, "It is the
I think this i a little bit overly melodramatic. I feel that Scott Turow's One L is more realistic. However, I think the appeal of this book possibly has to do with its describing what you might call fantasies. The student who gives a party and no one comes, the students who sneak into the library in the middle of the night after it's locked, the professor who means a lot to you and can't remember your name, the students who check into a hotel for a couple of days in order to spend all day and n ...more
Aug 04, 2012 Jacob rated it liked it
Having never been in law school--nor ever interested in attending--any finer points regarding accuracy and stereotypes have fully passed me by.

But as a regular ol' English major, there were aspects of this which really appealed to me.

The Paper Chase reads much less like a novel and more like a series of sketches. They don't necessarily link from chapter-to-chapter, and even once the whole thing is said and done a number of the chapters still feel a bit haphazard. Few books could get away with do
Nick Mann
No book had more influence on me in writing “Forgetful” than “The Paper Chase.” The parts of my book that dealt with the seminar were difficult to write. But the knowledge that more than 40-years ago John Osborne had been able to vividly capture the feel of a 1st-year law class at Harvard made me know that it could be done. I just had to keep at it. Of course Osborne wrote from the viewpoint of Hart, the student, while I wrote from the perspective of Ben Parks, the professor. But still Osborne’s ...more
Mar 16, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I guess it's almost inevitable that such a short novel(la) would operate in the stereotype-osphere, but allowing that doesn't make The Paper Chase any more enjoyable. I think there was a great nugget of an idea here, but Osborn was either too busy or young to fully develop it. I do hope, however, that the stereotypes in his novel were a reflection of the various sides and states of mind he was in while at Harvard Law...that would be a little redeeming. I had wondered (before reading his bio)
Dec 01, 2014 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was disappointing. I have a fascination with Harvard Law School (not sure why) and was looking for some exposure to this world and I guess I got some.

The relationship between Hart and Susan, in my opinion, was never fully developed and I really didn't find myself caring what happened between them.

I found the ending to be bizarre and I didn't find it very satisfying.

I cannot recommend this book or the movie either.
Aug 18, 2007 Rob rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: beginning law students (with a big grain of salt)
What I learned is that this book is over-hyped. I start law school in a few days and virtually all the books I've read about it say that law school is this horrible experience filled with awful people who engage in every sort of cutthroat tactic in order to get ahead of you in the curve. The Paper Chase is the quintessential example (and probably most famous) of these types of stories. From all the people I've talked to here at William & Mary and elsewhere, this type of behavior is quite rar ...more
Feb 18, 2016 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A quick read and one that was mostly enjoyable. There were a few things that felt pretty sexist but then the author portrayed Susan Kingsfield as a strong woman.

The movie adaptation is one of my favorites, with an impeccable cast: Timothy Bottoms as Hart, Lyndsey Wagner as Susan and the esteemed John Houseman as Kingsfield. The film follows the story mostly, but at times it changes scene order or attributes actions to Hart that were done by others. The Susan character was definitely dialed back
Jun 27, 2015 Suzette rated it liked it
Poignant look at young love and struggling through Harvard law school in the 1970s. I read this book before and picked it up cheap at a used book sale to read again. Kind of unusual story.
Aug 31, 2016 Tonipi rated it really liked it
Great short read, this novel brought me back haha!
Jan 23, 2016 Jack rated it really liked it
The movie is excellent as well.
Apr 25, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveread
Sonia Sotomayor had referred to this book in her autobiography. I had never read this, but it felt like I knew exactly what was going to happen throughout the entire story. I went to college at the same time that this story was set in. I guess nothing in it surprised me. Why does school have to be like this? Why is education often set up as a competition and such a challenge? Why does education involve pressures? Why does learning involve so much stress? And why does it continue in this way toda ...more
Ashley FL
Jul 13, 2016 Ashley FL rated it liked it
The edition I read had "deleted scenes" in it: what a mistake! They showed that the writer is actually a pretty BAD writer -- I guess he had a great editor!

This is a classic for law students, but I can't remember ever reading it. Parts were great, but parts seemed almost surreal? I debated between 3 and 4 stars. In the end, I decided, it is 4 stars for law students and prospective law students, 3 stars for everyone else.

Reread in July 2016: not even as good as I remembered it. Why did I bother?
Mar 06, 2013 Becca rated it really liked it
Read this book to try to understand the law school phenomenon better. Nope, didn't help at all. Most of the book was the student freaking out about being ready to answer a question in his contracts class. Seriously, answer the damned question it doesn't effect your grade! That said it helps me kind of understand the psychology of a law student that thinks every word they say is all important. And it was short, and very readable, and a classic of law school. And I liked the ending.
Aug 15, 2009 Billye rated it it was ok
Shelves: past-books, reviews
I read this book around the time that the film and the television show had been very popular. It influenced me many years later when I was using real law libraries to do college research. I learned that much of the writer's perspective was distorted and vain. It was a good read at the time. I find it also very interesting that now that there is a new edition, no others are available.
Nick Desantis
May 22, 2013 Nick Desantis rated it did not like it
Book NonRecommendation : Just finished "The Paper Chase" by John Jay Osborne Jr. The movie was incredible so it lead me to the book. Normally, the book smokes the movie, but not in this case. I give this book a 3 out of 10 and that is being very very generous. The author just seems to rush through so many issues that were great scenes in the movie. Bitter disappointment. :(
Aug 03, 2011 Meredith rated it it was ok
It's evolved into a horror story of sorts in the way it reveals how little legal education has changed since the 1960s, and I guess it's neat as a critique. The front cover includes a blurb from the New Yorker calling Osborn a "writer of wit and style", but I didn't find it particularly stylish or funny, and the descriptions of women made me sigh in dismay.
Jun 29, 2013 Stephanie rated it liked it
I was always a big fan of the Television series from the 70's and the movie. I just realized (duh) that it was based on a book. All the characters are here - in fact the show and movie followed the book wonderfully. I love Hart and have always identified with him. Good read that filled me with lots of nostalgia for the dreams of youth.
Feb 20, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
I read this before I went to law school. I can't remember why. I probably thought it would give me a leg up in law school - HAHAHAHA. About a group of Harvard law students in their first year of law school and how they deal with stress and expectations. Shows the ugly, competitive side of law there's a lot of truth in it.
Jan 29, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it

I liked the book, it was very quickly paced and gave a good insight as to the insanity that goes on behind the scenes at a top notch law school. Similarly, I liked the underlying theme of what's important in life and the fact that the book addresses them and leaves you satisfied with the conclusion.
Jul 28, 2011 Rahadyan rated it it was amazing
I miss the eponymous TV series of the late 1970's. I saw the 1973 film *after* I had seen the series. Lastly, I read the book, which I liked enough to read Osborn's other works, e.g., The Associates, which was mde into a short lived ABC sitcom starring Martin Short, Alley Mills and Joe Regalbuto.
Donna LaValley
Sep 22, 2011 Donna LaValley rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've ever read, back in the 1980's. It had a particularly unsatisfactory way of ending; I remember swiftly reading the last few pages and in one fluid movement closing the book and placing it in the trash. Then I quickly stood up, left the room and closed the door!
Jan 17, 2013 Deborah rated it liked it
I remember the tv show fondly but had never read the original novel(la). Maybe if I went back to re-watch I'd be as dissatisfied as I was with the book. Maybe I'd be just as disappointed to re-live my college years in the 70's with that era's pervasive sexism.
Jan 21, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was great in the beginning and the middle. It grabbed you and kept you entertained. I personally hated the way it ended. I won't ruin anything so that you can make your own decision but I didn't like the way it ended.
Tommy Yeargin
Mar 08, 2012 Tommy Yeargin rated it it was amazing
I remember the show on TV when I was a kid; I never realized it began as a novel. A very good read. It doesn't bore you with a lot of courtroom lingo; it's just a good coming-of-age story about one man's first year in law school.
Encapsulates the first year of law school to a tee. Only difference is I did not care about impressing professors as much as Hart did when I was a law student, nor did I expect validation or respect from them.
John Moretz
Dec 16, 2011 John Moretz rated it really liked it
Yes, the characters are stereotypes but the book still entertains.

My copy is the tie-in to the motion picture version and the image of Lindsay Wagner on the cover adds a lot to the book, I must say.
Not sure why I read the whole thing. I was interested in the premise, but foul language is frequent and normally this would be a book I would quit reading because of that.
  • Anatomy of a Murder
  • Mister Roberts
  • The Green Odyssey
  • The Making of The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars:  The Making of, #2)
  • The Swiss Account
  • The Citizen Kane Book
  • The Life and Death of Fritz the Cat
  • Completely Mad: A History of the Comic Book and Magazine
  • The Making of Kubrick's 2001
  • Final Cut: Art, Money, and Ego in the Making of Heaven's Gate, the Film that Sank United Artists
  • The Homecoming
  • Figures of Earth
  • The Second Son
  • Mountain Man
  • Kubrick: The Definitive Edition
  • The Sea-Wolf and Selected Stories
  • The Genesis Machine
  • Winning Through Intimidation
John Jay Osborn, Jr. is the author of the bestselling novel, The Paper Chase, a fictional account of one Harvard Law School student's battles with the imperious Professor Charles Kingsfield. The book was made into a movie starring John Houseman and Timothy Bottoms. Houseman won an Oscar for his performance as contracts professor Kingsfield. The Paper Chase also became a television series. Osborn w ...more
More about John Jay Osborn Jr....

“Through my questions, you will learn to teach yourselves.” 3 likes
“The trouble with entering the upper echelon is you have to work harder to stay there.” 1 likes