Start by marking “Roverandom” as Want to Read:
Roverandom

Roverandom

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  8,555 Ratings  ·  510 Reviews
A classic children's story by the author of The Hobbit

Rover should never have bitten the wizard's trousers. His punishment was to be transformed into a toy, and now he is forced to track down the magician so he can be returned to normal. His adventures will take him to the moon and under the sea, introducing him to many fabulous - and dangerous - creatures.

Inspired by the
Published September 2nd 2002 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Roverandom, please sign up.

emre yuvarlak No, Tolkien wrote this story for his son. There is no connection with LOTR or Hobbit. But you can read this book because i think you'll like it.

Bookdragon Sean
This is a fantastically childish book that is thoroughly charming; it really captures the essence of Tolkien’s softer themes and humour. Not everything has to be constantly dark and foreboding for his writing to be successful. This is simple, imaginative and a good little bit of fun.

The tale is quaint and fairly short in which a dog, initially named Rover, is turned into a toy as an act of revenge because he bit a mean old sand sorcerer. Some people really are that petty. This leads to a series
Paul
Nov 04, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it
A fun little tale.
A little bit manic in parts but full of imagination and a bit of fun.
Definitely one from the days when a kids book was supposed to challenge rather than mimic a childs vocabulary.
Jason
Sep 27, 2011 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just about anyone
Recommended to Jason by: Nobody
Shelves: fantasy, child-lit, 2011, humor
My father remarried a few months ago, and my stepmother still owns her own house. She's been cleaning it out for a while, and getting rid of odds and ends (mostly belonging to her ex-husband). She came across this and my father grabbed it to give to me since he knows I like Tolkien. I'm very glad he did. I had never heard of this book before, and was interested in checking it out.

Evidently Tolkien wrote it for, or maybe just told it to, his second son after said son had lost a toy dog on a beach
X
Sep 27, 2008 X rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tolkien *can* write a story with a happy ending! It's a very charming tale, closer in style to "The Hobbit" than LOTR, but lighter and full of colloquialisms and word plays (many of which were lost on me!) that are rare in his other books. As he never prepared it to be published, there are a few loose ends and anomolies, but they are easily overlooked.
S.M. Carrière
Jan 28, 2014 S.M. Carrière rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness this was an adorable read!

It is a book for very young children, so don't expect anything heavy and involved - I finished the book in two hours (an hour a sitting).

That said, one of the things I really, really, really love about Tolkien is that he doesn't pander to his audience. There are words and puns, usages and phrases that one would think that you would have to be older to understand and appreciate. Tolkien, however, does not ever so insult his audience. His complicated words
Tempo de Ler
Jan 12, 2016 Tempo de Ler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Embora mais curto e simples que os trabalhos que já tive oportunidade de ler de J. R. R. Tolkien, Roverandom é de uma criatividade igualmente genial.

Do infeliz encontro de um cão chamado Rover com um feiticeiro não muito simpático resulta que, por não usar as simples palavras "por favor", Rover acaba transformado num pequeníssimo cão de brincar. Assim, acabamos por partir com Rover numa maravilhosa aventura desde a superfície da Lua até às profundezas do mar!

Embora o fantástico não seja o meu g
Daria
Feb 15, 2017 Daria rated it really liked it
Shelves: posiadane
Takie bajki mogę czytać swoim dzieciom.
Bekah
Jun 03, 2015 Bekah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How could I NOT give this five stars? It was just too funny and adorable. Is it the best thing ever written? Certainly not. It's not even the best thing Tolkien ever wrote. But it is a really quirky story about magic and mischief and a lost dog. It doesn't hurt that the story was written as a way to cheer up Tolkien's son Michael when he lost a toy dog on a trip to the seaside. Just a short children's fantasy book, that would no doubt be a classic if it were not so overlooked and forgotten.
Amy | shoutame
My overall thoughts:

1. This book follows the tale of a dog named Rover who incurs the wrath of a wizard and gets shrunk down to a tiny size. We follow him on his mission to find the wizard so he can be returned to his original size. Whilst on this quest he ventures to the moon and down to the depths of the ocean, all the while making friends and discovering things he didn't know about himself.

2. I love J.R.R. Tolkien and think this is one of the quaintest little reads I have read in a long time!
Chris
So what to say about this?

First, honestly, if you are going to have notes in the back of the book, could you please (with a cherry on top) let the reader know when there is a note? Just saying.

This is not as good as LOTR or the Hobbit,yet a reader can see the beginnings of both in this story. It is hard not to see figure of Gandalf and even Biblo in this short story about a dog. It isn't, I think, as child friendly to outloud reading as the Hobbit. It lacks that later book's charm.
Shadowdenizen
Nov 19, 2016 Shadowdenizen rated it liked it
Shelves: tolkien-lotr
3.5 stars, rounded down. Cute and readable, but a mere trifle in Tolkien's pantheon. I know it was intended as a child's fairy tale, but it nonetheless just feels lacking to me, given that it was written by an master of fantasy fiction.
Nov 28, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2016, fantasía
Es increíble la imaginación que tenía Tolkien.
Escribir un cuento así partiendo de un hecho tan "normal" es de admirar.

Las descripciones que hace de los lugares que visita Rover te hacen viajar directamente a la Tierra Media, con sus magos, sus dragones...

Simplemente genial.
Kimberley doruyter
cute sweet story to read to your kids before bedtime.
Hannah
Apr 04, 2017 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really sweet little book that Tolkien wrote for his son about a puppy who bit the wrong wizard's trousers and became a toy by way of enchantment. He makes friends and travels to fascinating places before finding the wizard again and asking to be changed back to how he was before. This is a great book for children and adults alike!
Elsie Stoltzfus
This is such a fun story! I can't believe that I hadn't read it before now. It is truly a delight to read!
Jan
Aug 26, 2010 Jan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nederlands onderaan.

I liked the story as it was intended, a tale for children. However, I'm terribly disappointed I read this in the Dutch translation. Not to say that the translation was bad per se, but I think it lost a lot of the magic of Tolkiens use of language. In the introduction there's a lot of mentions of all his language games and when I read those little English snippets, I felt a pang of regret of not getting the English edition. Alas, my library doesn't carry that.

I was also misled
Myles
As wonderful and rich and moving as he may be sometimes, Tolkien can be terribly boring.

There is something of the lightness that makes The Hobbit so much fun, but since Tolkien never fully prepped this book for publication, the final effort was never made to make this appealing to children. I'm sure Roverandom was much better when it was a homey story exclusively for his children.

When reading this my first mistake was to read the introduction, which didn't leave off at telling the provenance o
Caitlin
May 16, 2012 Caitlin rated it it was amazing
J. R. R. Tolkien has often been put into the "lengthy authors" category due to The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit. Noted for his complex histories, languages, and peoples, what really isn't known about Tolkien is that he could write the occasional bit of comedic fairytale. Roverandom is a delightful story about a little dog named Rover who bites a wizard's trousers out of annoyance and is turned into a toy dog. He then has many wonderful adventures, some of which involve going to the M ...more
Daren
So I read this because it is Tolkien, and I haven't come into contact with anything other than the regulation Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (and the Silmarillion, but lets not go there), so I was interested to see how his kids books worked.
I thought it was pretty good. There are the Tolkienesque elements such as touching on his mythology (which are fairly boringly summarised in the introduction and the notes section at the end), and or course wizards and dragons. Written around 1925, (the Hobbit
Majo
"—¿Es cierto que los sueños se hacen realidad?
—Algunos, pero no todos. Y rara vez enseguida, o exactamente como eran cuando se soñaron."

Tolkien escribió este libro para una de sus hijos, cuando perdió un perrito de juguete en la playa. Así, nos relata las aventuras de un perro, Rover, quién se cruza en el camino de magos, dragones y ballenas en su viaje de regreso a casa.

Es muy bonito y tierno, con enseñanzas como el respeto y la amistad. Aunque me pareció un poco pesado en algunos momentos y se
Mayra Sigwalt
This was so funny and sweet. But I think the story is a little bit too long for children. Dunno

Historia muito engraçada e fofa!! Mas eu acho que ela se estende demais para uma historia infantil. Não sei.
Ľuboš
Sep 11, 2015 Ľuboš rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-knižnice, fantasy
Tolkien bol asi na houbičkách keď to písal...
Rachel
Jun 21, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The most adorable children's book I've read in many years!!
Jo (My beautiful book marriage)
This is one of Tolkien's earliest children's stories. I didn't even know about this book until about a week ago, when I came across it whilst rummaging through my Dad's bookcase.
It is certainly not as good as The Hobbit, or the LOTR, but I can see the very beginnings of Middle Earth in this story. At times, I could even see Gandalf himself in this story.
A fairly short story in all, by one of my favourite authors which was enjoyable, but was lacking something. However, this book has Tolkien's st
Dimitra
Feb 05, 2017 Dimitra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-rr-tolkien
Tolkien was an amazing author but an amazing dad too!!!
This story was so sweet and cute as the history behind it.
I loved the illustrations too and I enjoyed these moments that reminded me of Lord of the Rings and Hobbit.
A fun little adorable tale!
Al
Feb 07, 2013 Al rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

In 1925, four-year-old Michael Tolkien lost his beloved toy dog on the beach. To console him, his father, J.R.R. Tolkien, improvised a story about Rover, a real dog who is magically transformed into a toy and is forced to seek out the wizard who wronged him in order to be returned to normal. This charming tale, peopled by a sand-sorcerer and a terrible dragon, by the king of the sea and the Man-in-the-Moon, endured several drafts over the years. Now, more than seventy years later, the adventure

Karen
This is a magical story and one younger children will enjoy, I am going to read it to my little Nephew and Nieces:-).

Its a lot of fun see poor little Roverandom getting on the wrong side of a wizard and his adventure after this. This for me is how children story should be one of magic and adventure with a lesson in manners.

Tim
Jan 03, 2013 Tim rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Children
Shelves: fantasy, ya, audiobook
Most definitely a juvenile book. Notably, the music in the audiobook (which is thankfully infrequent) is very twee and kind of annoying. This is a book about a dog called Rover (and later Roverandom) who goes on an adventure and (view spoiler). I wonder if Tolkien based his adventure loosely on the Odyssey. It certainly seems like a juvenile version of it, in the same manner as Finding Nemo (did the creators of that read this, I wo ...more
Kimarie Lamberson
Dec 31, 2010 Kimarie Lamberson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story J.R.R. Tolkien originally invented for his middle son to explain the disappearance of a toy dog the boy lost at the beach. In that way it reminds me of Winnie-the-Pooh, where the author's son takes part in the story. I enjoyed reading the foreword and footnotes almost as much as reading the story itself. Tolkien gave this story to his publishers as a follow up to The Hobbit, and they rejected it and asked for more stories about hobbits, leading to The Lord of the Rings. I love Th ...more
Graham
Apr 29, 2015 Graham rated it really liked it
Written around 1927, specifically for his child who lost a toy dog on the beach, Tolkien introduces the magic in his writing that would escalate until it reached the heights of THE LORD OF THE RINGS. This is a children’s book, through and through, with simple, straightforward phrases in the writing, and many moments in the story where things are aimed at youngsters. Yet it works and is readable for an adult through the sheer delight Tolkien takes in his task.

His imagination knows no boundaries
TwitBookClub: May 2016 - 'Roverandom' by JRR Tolkien 1 2 Apr 03, 2016 09:30AM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Roverandom 4 80 Dec 28, 2015 08:56PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Roverandom by J.R.R. Tolkien 2 13 Feb 13, 2015 10:20AM
Silver Stag Book ...: Roverandom by J.R.R. Tolkien 1 5 Jan 27, 2014 07:38PM
J.R.R. Tolkien: Group Read for April-July 2013: Roverandom 6 38 Apr 26, 2013 01:37AM
  • The History of the Hobbit, Part Two: Return to Bag-End
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
  • Tolkien: a Biography
  • The Atlas of Middle-Earth
  • Exploring J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • The Place of the Lion
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • After the King: Stories in Honor of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • Kestrel's Midnight Song
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

“Rover did not know in the least where the moon's path led to, and at present he was much too frightened and excited to ask, and anyway he was beginning to get used to extraordinary things happening to him.” 18 likes
“I did nothing but run away from the time I was a puppy, and I kept on running and roving until one fine morning - a very fine morning, with the sun in my eyes - I fell over the world's edge chasing a butterfly.” 12 likes