A Tolkien Miscellany

A Tolkien Miscellany

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This book, with illustrations, gathers some of J.R.R. Tolkien's least-known and hardest-to-find works in one volume. These include "Smith of Wootton Major (story of a magical gift concealed in the most amazing cake), "Farmer Giles of Ham" (a dragon terrorizing the English village of Ham and the townspeople only hope is a local farmer with an inflated reputation of chasing...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Quality Paperback Bookclub

Chris
The first 100 pages = 3 stars. The rest, one at most.

"Smith of Wooten Major" is a cute little story.

"Farmer Giles of Ham" is a good story, rather enjoyable and humorous.

Then the bad news: the books is longer than 100 pages. In fact, the rest of it shifts between unusual torture and the occasional smirk at something clever gleaned through the mire. Only occasional and that's generous.

"Tree and Leaf" is half essay and half story. Well, the essay is quite more than half and shows just what an educa...more
Barbara
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. Had it for a few years and tried to read it before but because the majority of it is not Middle-earth stories and poetry I couldn't get into it. Plus I think every book has its time and for me this was this book's time.

It is the group read book for March 2014 at a J.R.R. Tolkien group here on goodreads. And that is why I read it.

There are a few short stories, a group of poems under the title 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil', and an essay. The essa...more
Rhiannon
i loved farmer giles of ham, tree and leaf, the adventures of tom bombadil, and smith of wootton major... sir gawain and the green knight, however, just couldnt catch my interest. it isnt the format, just... i cant place it. i tried, made it about halfway through and there was just nothing there that made me go "i have to keep reading!"
Michael
A wonderful collection of some of Tolkien's short works, including the fine stories "Smith of Wooton Major" and "Farmer Giles of Ham"; of more import, it has Tolkien's excellent essay "On Fairy-Stories." These are all available elsewhere, but this is a nice volume and, along with "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" ("Ding-dong-a-dilly-o!") and some interesting translations, it's a fine tome for the Tolkien fan.
DC
Finally made it through the entire thing. 3/5 overall rating, because I definitely liked some parts better than others. Leaf by Niggle is great, and I liked Sir Orfeo a lot, as well as a number of the "red book" poems. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, though... I'm sure it's a brilliant translation etc etc, but I didn't much care for the story.
Linda Hoover
An excellent read, especially 'Smith of Wooton Major', which is a marvelous fairy tale. Some of the other stories will be found in "The Tolkien Reader". Worth reading for 'Smith of Wooton Major' alone!!! It is probably Tolkien's best short story.
Alesia
I vaguely remember reading this book and enjoying it. It was lost in a move or something so I haven't had a chance to read it again. I don't remember much right now.
David Seymour
Great additional stories by Tolkien. Any Lord of the Rings fan should read the stories for a better insight of the author and story.
Keri
Great collection of Tolkien's lesser works.
Ruby Bae
Ruby Bae marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Anna Jason
Anna Jason marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Brendan Watts
Brendan Watts marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
E.E.A.B.
E.E.A.B. marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Joy Lotts
Joy Lotts marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Faresa
Faresa marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Gretchen
Gretchen marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Alana
Alana marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
J.R.R. Tolkien: Help me understand Fairies essay please 9 29 Mar 19, 2014 07:44AM
  • The History Of Middle Earth Index
  • The Maps of Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • The Tolkien Companion
  • Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues : Exploring the Spiritual Themes of the Lord of the Rings
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
  • Hobbits, Elves and Wizards: The Wonders and Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings'
  • J.R.R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth: Understanding Middle-Earth
  • Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, Dante Alighieri, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard
  • Tolkien and the Great War: The Threshold of Middle-earth
  • Meditations on Middle Earth: New Writing on the Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien
  • Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet,WWI veteran (British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English language and literature from 1945 to 1959. He was a cl...more
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)