Start by marking “A Tolkien Miscellany” as Want to Read:
A Tolkien Miscellany

A Tolkien Miscellany

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  315 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This book, with illustrations, gathers some of J.R.R. Tolkien's least-known and hardest-to-find works in one volume. These include "Smith of Wootton Major (story of a magical gift concealed in the most amazing cake), "Farmer Giles of Ham" (a dragon terrorizing the English village of Ham and the townspeople only hope is a local farmer with an inflated reputation of chasing ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Quality Paperback Bookclub

To ask other readers questions about A Tolkien Miscellany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Tolkien Miscellany

Chris
The first 100 pages = 3 stars. The rest, one at most.

"Smith of Wooten Major" is a cute little story.

"Farmer Giles of Ham" is a good story, rather enjoyable and humorous.

Then the bad news: the books is longer than 100 pages. In fact, the rest of it shifts between unusual torture and the occasional smirk at something clever gleaned through the mire. Only occasional and that's generous.

"Tree and Leaf" is half essay and half story. Well, the essay is quite more than half and shows just what an educa
Steve Hemmeke
Jan 30, 2015 Steve Hemmeke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Sir Gawain and the Green Knight from this volume, not the whole book.

This is Tolkien's translation of a medieval and anonymous text.

It has a strong meter, about 12 beats per line, and heavy alliteration - 2-4 words in every line begin with the same letter/sound.
"When the seige and the assault had ceased at Troy,
and the fortress fell in flame to firebrands and ashes..."

But the real beauty here is the story. A lesser known classic, yet everyone should read this. It's about staying true to y
Barbara
Mar 28, 2014 Barbara rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. Had it for a few years and tried to read it before but because the majority of it is not Middle-earth stories and poetry I couldn't get into it. Plus I think every book has its time and for me this was this book's time.

It is the group read book for March 2014 at a J.R.R. Tolkien group here on goodreads. And that is why I read it.

There are a few short stories, a group of poems under the title 'The Adventures of Tom Bombadil', and an essay. The essa
Rhiannon
Nov 24, 2007 Rhiannon rated it really liked it
i loved farmer giles of ham, tree and leaf, the adventures of tom bombadil, and smith of wootton major... sir gawain and the green knight, however, just couldnt catch my interest. it isnt the format, just... i cant place it. i tried, made it about halfway through and there was just nothing there that made me go "i have to keep reading!"
Michael
Sep 28, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
A wonderful collection of some of Tolkien's short works, including the fine stories "Smith of Wooton Major" and "Farmer Giles of Ham"; of more import, it has Tolkien's excellent essay "On Fairy-Stories." These are all available elsewhere, but this is a nice volume and, along with "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" ("Ding-dong-a-dilly-o!") and some interesting translations, it's a fine tome for the Tolkien fan.
DC
Jun 13, 2014 DC rated it liked it
Finally made it through the entire thing. 3/5 overall rating, because I definitely liked some parts better than others. Leaf by Niggle is great, and I liked Sir Orfeo a lot, as well as a number of the "red book" poems. Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, though... I'm sure it's a brilliant translation etc etc, but I didn't much care for the story.
Linda Hoover
Oct 14, 2012 Linda Hoover rated it it was amazing
An excellent read, especially 'Smith of Wooton Major', which is a marvelous fairy tale. Some of the other stories will be found in "The Tolkien Reader". Worth reading for 'Smith of Wooton Major' alone!!! It is probably Tolkien's best short story.
Alesia
Jun 15, 2012 Alesia rated it really liked it
I vaguely remember reading this book and enjoying it. It was lost in a move or something so I haven't had a chance to read it again. I don't remember much right now.
David Seymour
Jun 05, 2013 David Seymour rated it it was amazing
Great additional stories by Tolkien. Any Lord of the Rings fan should read the stories for a better insight of the author and story.
Lily
Mar 24, 2015 Lily rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, fiction
some of Tolkein lesser known works. Some of the stories are better than the others in the book.
Keri
Jun 14, 2011 Keri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great collection of Tolkien's lesser works.
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Andrew Franke
Andrew Franke rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Sully Tarnish
Sully Tarnish rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Ocean
Ocean marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Niphredil
Niphredil marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Jason
Jason added it
Jun 11, 2016
Sara Smolinski
Sara Smolinski marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Jessica Brewer
Jessica Brewer marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Jelena Jessica
Jelena Jessica marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Katelynn Colson
Katelynn Colson marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Alex Trunkhill
Alex Trunkhill marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Sanjay Pratap
Sanjay Pratap marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Taibre
Taibre marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Thorin Oakenshield
Thorin Oakenshield marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
J.R.R. Tolkien: Help me understand Fairies essay please 13 70 Oct 21, 2015 02:26PM
  • J.R.R. Tolkien: Architect of Middle Earth
  • J.R.R. Tolkien's Sanctifying Myth: Understanding Middle-Earth
  • Tales Before Tolkien: The Roots of Modern Fantasy
  • Christian Mythmakers: C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle, J.R.R. Tolkien, George MacDonald, G.K. Chesterton, Charles Williams, Dante Alighieri, John Bunyan, Walter Wangerin, Robert Siegel, and Hannah Hurnard
  • The Sunnydale High Yearbook (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 3, #24)
  • Hobbits, Elves and Wizards: The Wonders and Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings'
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • How Harry Cast His Spell: The Meaning Behind the Mania for J. K. Rowling's Bestselling Books
  • The Tolkien Companion
  • There and Back Again: The Map of the Hobbit
  • Last Exit to Babylon (The Collected Stories of Roger Zelazny, Vol 4)
  • Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane
  • Following Gandalf: Epic Battles and Moral Victory in the Lord of the Rings
  • The Constellation of Sylvie (The Sylvie Cycle, #3)
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • The Tears of the Salamander
  • Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues: Exploring the Spiritual Themes of the Lord of the Rings
  • The Languages of Tolkien's Middle-Earth
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...