Start by marking “An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers” as Want to Read:
An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers

An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers by G. H. Hardy and E. M. Wright is found on the reading list of virtually all elementary number theory courses and is widely regarded as the primary and classic text in elementary number theory. Developed under the guidance of D. R. Heath-Brown, this Sixth Edition of An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers has been extensively revi ...more
Paperback, Sixth Edition, 621 pages
Published October 1st 2008 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published April 3rd 1980)

To ask other readers questions about An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Introduction to the Theory of Numbers

Joey Comeau
Jan 07, 2014 Joey Comeau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a two sentence review of this once that has really stuck with me. It went along the lines of

"If I could bring only one book with me to a desert island, it would be [some other book] if I thought I would be rescued. It would be G.H. Hardy's Theory of Numbers if I knew I was never coming back."

Sold.
Cyrus
Apr 25, 2007 Cyrus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mathematics
As a perfectionist, Hardy devoted himself to find easiest way of teaching the Number Theory,at this book, without downgrading its perfect structure to a SSS (Simple, Stupid, Strait forward) level.
I heard a rumor that Hardy didn’t look at his face in a mirror, even for a shaving (although he was such a handsome)! I’m not exaggerating; you may read this, in some biographies of him.
Perhaps he believed no phenomenon in the entire world is as ideal as it should be; even his face. The only exception
Sindhuja
This is the best of reference materials available on number theory, if anyone is interested. I read it out of interest, and hence at my own pace. You cannot do random chapters unless you already have significant knowledge on the subject. I initially felt that the lack of problems to work out might be an issue. Sooner, you find out that this book is more of a building block on a step by step basis. The book perse solves a lot of problem in the form of theorems and proofs. My familiarity with numb ...more
Vaibhav Uniyal
Oct 25, 2015 Vaibhav Uniyal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only a few books this good have been written.
Bill
May 16, 2007 Bill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: newcomers to number theory
Shelves: mathematics
I'm not a mathematician, but I was interested enough to make my way through the first few chapters and found them relatively accessible. Though I imagine most university courses use more contemporary texts, this is still a decent introduction to the topic for advanced undergraduates/graduate students. Besides, it's G.H. Hardy.
sqrt2
Nov 07, 2014 sqrt2 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
didn't finish , theres no button that says "stopped reading"
Ryan Kirkish
Feb 06, 2013 Ryan Kirkish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brain pushups. It goes proof by proof. if you want to know what a mathematical proof is and have no desire to become a mathematician read only the first 2 or three Chapters.
Mikesokolov
Feb 07, 2014 Mikesokolov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a lot out of it, but ultimately didn't finish.. can't say why really; maybe the same reason I didn't get a graduate math degree
powei
Apr 20, 2007 powei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
classic. hardy died before providing a proof for God's inexistence. so this book remained his most popular.
Tim
Oct 27, 2008 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
encyclopedic, fairly elementary proof of prime number theorem
Samira
Apr 10, 2008 Samira marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just recieved the book,so happy,It seems it has to open up my mind
Maxdml
Maxdml marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Garrett Figueroa
Garrett Figueroa marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Abhimanyu Atharv
Abhimanyu Atharv marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Haim
Haim rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Rivca
Rivca marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Snoopzatlordogg
Snoopzatlordogg rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Issa Mahasneh
Issa Mahasneh marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Mike Ash
Mike Ash rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Robert Lane
Robert Lane rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Tran Hai
Tran Hai marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Ashfakuzzaman Saikat
Ashfakuzzaman Saikat marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Fidel Ochieng
Fidel Ochieng marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Mason
Mason marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Wayne Stakem
Wayne Stakem marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Liam
Liam marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mrityunjay
Mrityunjay marked it as to-read
Otto J.S. Laari
Otto J.S. Laari marked it as to-read
Nicolo'
Nicolo' rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2016
Hardian way 1 7 Apr 27, 2007 11:31AM
  • Calculus On Manifolds: A Modern Approach To Classical Theorems Of Advanced Calculus
  • Naive Set Theory
  • Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning
  • Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
  • How to Think Like a Mathematician: A Companion to Undergraduate Mathematics
  • Mathematical Analysis
Godfrey Harold Hardy FRS was a prominent English mathematician, known for his achievements in number theory and mathematical analysis.

Non-mathematicians usually know him for A Mathematician's Apology, his essay from 1940 on the aesthetics of mathematics. The apology is often considered one of the best insights into the mind of a working mathematician written for the layman.

His relationship as ment