Dr. Death (Alex Delaware, #14)

Dr. Death (Alex Delaware #14)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  7,398 ratings  ·  137 reviews
BONUS: This edition contains an excerpt from Jonathan Kellerman's Victims.

Who killed the killer? In his brilliant and startling new novel, Jonathan Kellerman, perennial bestselling author and premier proprietor of the psychological thriller, gives a sharp and timely twist to homicide's central question.

Someone has murdered euthanasia champion Dr. Eldon Mate--a self-styled...more
Published by Ballantine (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Death

Viji Sarath (Bookish endeavors)
Shocking. Gripping. Page-turner.
I was expecting something in the line of Val McDermid but this turned out to be completely different. Towards the end,I couldn't even comprehend it and I guessed it would have been better if I didn't. But no use in closing one's eyes to what's happening around,I guess. Entirely different from most of the books in the genre,Kellerman does it again. My first read of him,'On the edge',made quite an impression on me. And it's the same with this one too. Looking forwar...more
aPriL purrs 'n hisses
Another one in the series that feels a bit like two stories pinned together in order to create an interesting plot. It was interesting, but in the end too contrived because of the plot pasting. Still, definitely interesting.

The real life story behind the fictional book is the real Dr. Jack Kevorkian. I agree with Kellerman - there is a time in order for doctors to relieve suffering to compassionately euthanize dying patients that rationally request it, but Kevorkian, who Kellerman's Dr. Death ch...more
Mike Jensen
What a horrible book. My touchstone is the Spencer series by Robert B. Parker. Every second or third chapter, it seems, Parker writes a dull scene between the detective and his psychologist girlfriend. They discuss the case. These scenes seldom move the story forward are the low-points of each book. Imagine an entire book told from the psychologist’s perspective and you have this novel, for the protagonist is a psychologist who works with the police.

Aside from this problem, the book is given to...more
Lulu
sigh. I keep reading these books, but I confess I cannot stand Alex Delaware. I find him (and his partner, Robin), dull as ditchwater. On the other hand, I LOVE Milo (particularly performed by John Rubinstein in the audio books), and I suppose his character is the reason for my continuing to read/listen to this series. The stories aren't bad, either. ;)

Maureen
Not my favorite Alex Delaware book, the whole premise was a bit contrived, but I still liked it. I think it's because I love the character of Alex Delaware and also his best friend Milo. Love how they play off each other. I also enjoy reading the inner struggle that Alex Delaware goes through...each mystery forming a little piece of his being.
Andy
Pure junk.

Rarely does anything happen during the course of the story; most of the intrigue involves people sitting around talking about what's already happened, what's already been uncovered and investigated, and theorizing about what it means or what they don't know for sure. Then later someone admits to the thing they theorized about before, with few events actually occurring in the present. Dullsville.

Plus the description. Any time a new character or location is introduced he goes on and on a...more
Maureen Bauer
I really enjoyed this book and especially the ending. It has an exciting surprise ending, I couldn't put it down! I would recommend this to anyone!
Chris
Dec 31, 2013 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Jonathan kellerman...
from another reviewer: The real life story behind the fictional book is the real Dr. Jack Kevorkian. I agree with Kellerman - there is a time in order for doctors to relieve suffering to compassionately euthanize dying patients that rationally request it, but Kevorkian, who Kellerman's Dr. Death character was modeled from, seemed to me less interested in compassion and more interested in playing God for self-gratification and publicity. He probably helped some people more than he hurt them becau...more
Marina Robbins
Meh. Who done it. You got me, Mr. Kellerman. Didn't see that one coming especially since I was bored to tears. At least throw in an expert here or there who intimately profiles serial killers. Give me something I can cling to. Instead I was tossed back and forth with the protagonist doing all the tossing! Alex Delaware doesn't seem to like his job, his wife, his role in this tale and it all felt sophomoric. I don't think I'll be reading Kellerman's work again. But what do I know.
Lorraine Roberge
Curve ball ending

Curve ball ending

I found this to be a little slow and confusing in the beginning but as I read further and got into it more I became hooked on it and couldn't put it down. I just love his books. can't wait to read the next in the series.
Hayley Shaver
This is a must have for any Jonathan Kellerman/ Alex Delaware fan. This is one of Kellerman's best. It leads you in circles with so many suspects pretty soon you see all the characters in the book as potential killers. The ending will surprise you, and make you think.
Danielle Ricci
This was a great book, like all Kellerman novels I got very into the whole story. It was better in the way of keeping me guessing. Some novels don't keep my attention because they make it too easy to know who did it.
Eliana
My favorite Dr. Delaware, in a series of psychological crime thrillers! Great co-protagonist in the form of Milo Sturgis. Always a clever psychological component to the varying plot lines.
Jewett
This one is back on track and while the mystery is great, it isn't creepy like The Web. The characters are good and you see a different type of criminal in this one.
Lynn
Mar 19, 2014 Lynn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Dr. Alex Delaware is a psychologist who helps out a friend of his, Detective Milo Sturgis. The two of them work really well together solving cases.
In this case a well known euthansia champion, Dr. Death, is found murdered. We travel along with them as they check out people and other sources. We also see Dr. Alex at work with a patient named Stacy. Her father is accused of hiring someone to kill Dr. Death. An FBI agent talks to Alex and Milo. He gets Alex interested in another suspect, who has ki...more
Kelly Mahaney
Fun murder mystery. Story of the death of a doctor that was responsible for the death of terminal patients.
Mike Calhoon
AD#14: The life of a Kevorkian type Dr.
Robert Bell
Too long and too many characters
Kriselda De Los Reyes
first psycopath thriller. *thumbs up*
Thomas Strömquist
"Run-of-the-mill thriller."
Steve
OK. But not a page turner for me. I've read it before and it was not memorable. I like Jonathan Kellerman and will read on, but this one was a flop...to me.
Jodi
Alex Delaware 24
Ceilidh
Always love Alex Delaware.
Patti
May 15, 2012 Patti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery lovers who enjoy reading a series
First Book in the Alex Delaware Series.

The main character in this one is "Dr. Death", a controversial figure who assists his patients in committing suicide. Alex Delaware is a psychologist who consults for the police department. His insight throughout the investigation is interesting. The book is suspenseful, contains some action, and good dialogue between Dr. Delaware and his patients. The only minuses are that some of the characters aren't too well developed and a little one dimensional.
Jonathan Franklin
My first taste of work from Jonathan Kellerman. Not a bad mystery. Thought I had it figured out but a small twist did throw me. Very well written, but drags a small bit in the middle. I like Alex Delaware and will read more of him in the future. In all I was expecting something else out of this tale but I can't say I was disappointed.
Zada
I didn't see that ending coming!
Susan
I have no idea why I've never read any of Jonathan Kellerman's books. I also don't know how this one ended up on my shelf but, but I'm certainly glad it did. This is part of a series featuring psychologist Alex Davenport. This isn't the first or the last, however. In this one, Eldon Mate was infamous for his euthanasia of the terminally ill. Only now he's the victim and it wasn't a nice, peaceful death. Kellerman is prolific and I'm off to find another of his.
Brenda Gorges

This was the first Alex Delaware book I was kind of disappointed in. Very slow read, and while there were some interesting plot twists, I was not happy with the ending. There was no closure to Eric's story, or much of Richard's. Just a little bit of Stacy's. I was very intrigued by Eric's character, the story led me to want to know how he came through it, but it didn't happen. I'll keep reading Connelly, but this one fell a little short for me.
  • Jupiter's Bones (Peter Decker Rina Lazarus, #11)
  • Trouble
  • Speaking In Tongues
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t...more
More about Jonathan Kellerman...
When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1) Deception (Alex Delaware, #25) Victims (Alex Delaware, #27) Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5) Silent Partner (Alex Delaware, #4)