Start by marking “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Read Book* *Different edition

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

3.74  ·  Rating Details ·  32,049 Ratings  ·  1,933 Reviews
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a short story by Washington Irving contained in his collection The Sketch Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent., written while he was living in Birmingham, England, and first published in 1820. With Irving's companion piece "Rip Van Winkle," "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" is among the earliest American fiction still read today.
Published July 20th 2007 by Book Jungle (first published 1820)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, please sign up.

Arlissa Vaughn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Stephanie
Classic tale for Halloween.... Ichabod Crane vs. the Headless Horseman....

I have read this book a few times. This review is "new" from my most recent re-read October 2016....

It's set in a small settlement in New York called Sleepy Hollow in the 1790's. Legend will have it that the town was bewitched in the early days, when first settled. The most renowned "spectre" in town is that of the Headless Horseman who is said to be the ghost of a Hessian soldier who lost his head in the Revolutionary
Matt
Oct 20, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-novels
Pull up a chair and have seat. Do you want a drink? Please, I insist. I’ve been drinking for hours. As you can see, I have a fire going in the fireplace, to ward off the chill of a winter you can already sense around the corner. It is dark outside the window. The nights come fast as the days shorten. The wind is howling. That is the wind – right? Its shriek sounds almost alive, almost human. Here, have another drink. Scoot closer to the fire. I want to tell you a terrifying story.

The 2016 elect
Candi
Oct 12, 2016 Candi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little treasure was simply delightful! Quite honestly, I didn’t expect to enjoy it quite so much. I’ve seen the various movie adaptations over the years and figured there wasn’t really anything more to be gained by reading this short story. I was wrong – the eloquence of the written word brought the legend up to a whole other level for me.

Everyone is probably familiar with the tale of the Headless Horseman and the little valley of Sleepy Hollow, situated near the small town of Tarry Town,
Brina
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is the old school classic read in catching up on classics for October 2016. I read an illustrated version of the Washington Irving's tale, which I finished in under an hour, and for which I rate three stars.

I was familiar with the story of the Headless Horseman, especially as it has been used in Harry Potter in the form of the ghost Nearly Headless Nick. Consequently, I was looking for an action packed story featuring the aforementioned headless horse. Even though th
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
description

I thought this story and I were Meant To Be.

A few days before reading this, I read and reviewed Washington Irving's other famous story, Rip Van Winkle, and really enjoyed it. And then I read The Fold, which has this exchange between a high school student and his teacher in the first few pages:
“Ichabod Crane isn’t really the hero of ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow’.”

“Explain.”

“He’s, like, the British. You told us that when you said we couldn’t just watch the TV show to learn the story. You said th
Lyn
Jan 09, 2015 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ichabod Crane goes for a wild ride.

Washington Irving first published The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in 1820. Besides being an iconic story and a fine example of early American literature, this is also a revealing historic illustration of life in the Dutch portions of early nineteenth century New York. We get to spend some time with the corpulent and satisfied Dutch farmers and glimpse early American culture.

Irving’s language is typical of narrative fiction from his time, but is also resplendent as
Melki
Though I've seen the movie versions countless times and listened to Bing Crosby croon about Brom Bones every Halloween for decades, this was my first time reading the story and it was MAGICAL!

I really enjoyed Irving's style. His descriptions paint joyful pictures without being too wordy or grandiose. The passages about Icabod's boundless appetite and his lust for Katrina's huge...tracts of land are priceless.

Reading this story has given me a new appreciation for Irving. My goals now are:

1) Read
Brad
May 21, 2013 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2016-shelf
I have to say that re-reading this as an adult is a much different and more wonderful experience than as a snot-nosed kid of 15. I was able to appreciate the nuances much more, enjoying just how established Mr. Crane could be as a realistic and sympathetic character, even if he was slightly foolish.

In other words, he felt real, I felt invested, and as any lover of horror knows, we must also feel superior to our victims before their inevitable and somewhat moralistic demise by supernatural or nef
Phrynne
Oct 21, 2016 Phrynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks Stephanie - your review led me to read this and I am so glad I did:) I suppose it is because I had my education in England that this book was not part of my school reading nor had I come across it since. So it was a first time read for me and it was delightful!
I always love stories written in this kind of old fashioned and extremely literate prose. The descriptions are just superb, especially the one of Ichabod Crane. At the end of that the reader knows exactly what he looked like to the
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Well, hello there, Mr. Ichabod Crane! I cannot believe I waited so long before meeting you.

description

I really don't see the horror part in this classic. I found myself smiling throughout the entire story. And it was all Irving's fault. He's just so funny and charming.
There was no dialogue at all. I became aware of that at some point and wandered how come I still enjoyed it.

The ending fit the character perfectly. I would have not wanted it any other way.

description
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
I loved the narration of this story. Tom Mison (the actor from the Sleepy Hollow television show) narrates this book and I could seriously listen to his voice all day long. Unfortunately, I didn't liked the actual story as much as I thought I would. I really wish the story was a bit darker and less descriptive.

I would give the narration 5 stars and the story 3 stars so I'm going with 4 stars overall. I grabbed this audiobook for free from audible a while ago and it appears that it is no longer f
Apatt
Oct 25, 2013 Apatt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
For most classics that I read it is easy to discern how they have stood the test of time and attain their classic status. However, a few titles, like Moby-Dick; or, The Whale and Three Men in a Boat hold little or no appeal to me at all, and why would anybody want to read them is beyond me. I am consigning The Legend of Sleepy Hollow to the “not for me” pile (though I am careful not disrespect any classics because they are still being read more than a hundred years after first publication, just ...more
Fernando
Siempre quise leer esta corta historia de Washington Irving (1783-1859), uno de los precursores de la literatura norteamericana y considerado como el primer escritor de best-sellers americano.
Si bien estuvo a la sombra de los grandes pioneros literarios norteamericanos como Poe, Hawthorne o Melville, supo granjearse la fama de excelente escritor a partir de novelas y cuentos como éste y Rip Van Winkle o su volumen “Cuentos de la Alhambra” en el que recuerda su paso por España.
“La leyenda del jin
Jessica
Disclaimer: my only experience with the Headless Horseman has been the wonderful Disney short adaption of it I watched repeatedly (no joke on repeatedly) during my childhood and the Tim Burton version. The entire time I read this though, I kept seeing the Disney version in my head and marveling at how well they captured the caricature of the schoolmaster that Irving seemed to be portraying and I had no idea as a child.

Irving (who I'm now extremely interesting in researching more on his life a
Melissa  Jeanette
Mar 11, 2012 Melissa Jeanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I really enjoyed this book. After having just watched the Johny Depp movie version, I was surprised to find the book had almost nothing in common.

I read it mostly at night and I enjoyed the spooky moments (though I admit my idea of spooky is pretty low on the scale for some). Ichabod is mildly detestable as a character; he seems like he has all the foundational qualities to make a wonderful villain, were this another story. I laughed at his envisioning the Van Tassel's animals as sumptuously co
Mario
Sep 28, 2015 Mario rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
I really wanted to like this story but it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. Honestly, I found the story boring. The author spent too much time on description, so the story was quite slow and it dragged. I was also really disappointed with the end. I expected that the ending will scare me at least a little but, but it didn't. The story ended pretty abruptly, and now that I've finished it, I'm glad it did. Even though this was a pretty short story, it sure felt like a long one.

Now I'm off to see t
Sara
Oct 07, 2016 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many a year since I had read this one and I found I liked it better than I had remembered. Who wouldn't appreciate the descriptive powers of Washington Irving:

On all sides he beheld vast store of apples; some hanging in oppressive opulence on the trees; some gathered into baskets and barrels for the market; others heaped up in rich piles for the cider-press. Father on he beheld great fields of Indian corn, with its golden ears peeping from their leafy coverts, and holding out the promise of cake
Simona Bartolotta
Read for my Anglo-American literatures course. I also re-watched the Disney short film, of course.
Anne
First of all, this right here is the most cruel thing an author has ever done to his/her character:
"He was tall, but exceedingly lank, with narrow shoulders, long arms and legs, hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves, feet that might have served for shovels, and his whole frame most loosely hung together. His head was small, and flat at top, with huge ears, large green glassy eyes, and a long snip nose, so that it looked like a weathercock perched upon his spindle neck to tell which way t
Ronyell
Sleepy

Illustrated by Robert Van Nutt

“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is another fantastic story from Rabbit Ears’ “Storybook Classic” series. Everyone knows the famous story of Icabod Crane and his encounter with the Headless Horseman. “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is one of the greatest stories ever created by Washington Irving and with Glenn Close’s haunting narration along with Tim Story’s eerie music and Robert Van Nutt’s beautiful yet haunting illustrations makes this one classic that no one will
Brenda
Ichabod Crane’s life had been one of calm occurrence – day in and day out; his life was the same. But the meeting of a lovely young woman by the name of Katrina Van Tassel meant he was sure she would one day become his wife. But she had another vying for her attentions – Brom Bones.

The night of great revelry at her father’s home - with dancing, eating and drinking – Ichabod was sure he would be betrothed by night’s end. But on returning home his mind wouldn’t stop dwelling on the stories of the
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈

i is for Irving (Washington)

Read a book that is less than 150 pages.

I have to say I was a tiny bit disappointed with this. I know the story so so well that I had always believed I had read the original version, but as it turns out I haven't. I've seen the movie thousands of times, seen the TV show, and read abridged children's versions of the tale. It's a tale that has always surfaced every Halloween and one that I remember fondly. So when I actually read the entire unabridged tale recently on T
Gavin
Oct 28, 2014 Gavin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I was happy to spot Audible giving away a copy of this classic for free. Unfortunately that is where my happiness ended. This was a very disappointing story. I have been left with a new appreciation for the Johnny Depp movie version of Sleepy Hollow. It's a wonder they got a half decent movie from the source material.

The writing was a bit flowery for my taste. Too much time spent on description and not enough time spent on the storytelling or dialogue. The story itself was a bit of a bore.

The
Sue K H
This is the Classics group short story read for October. I thought I knew this story, but I didn't. It wasn't the least bit familiar. There wasn't much about the headless horseman, although he does become prominent in the end.

This is a story about a beloved school teacher who thoroughly enjoys his simple life, yet gets caught up in trying to change his status when a rich women of the town gives him romantic attention.

The story is really about how various hobgoblins can take us off of our steady
Carol
Aug 23, 2012 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always wanted to read this classic tale of Sleepy Hollow and Ichabod Crane and it didn't disappoint except that it is just too short. Loved it though.
Mimi
So good. Haunting and whimsical. Tom Mison has the perfect voice and intonation for this story (because he is Ichabod Crane). Although the story is told in third-person, Mison remains in character from start to finish as the Ichabod Crane he plays in the show Sleepy Hollow. So if you like him in the show, then listening to him read the story is exactly like having Ichabod recount the story of his life in Sleepy Hollow.

For the complete review and more, visit https://covers2covers.wordpress.com/2.
Elizabeth
Jul 27, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: playscript
Script Research

I am researching possibly shows for my upcoming season. This one has potential!

Katie
Dec 12, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely enchanting. I listened to this today during my drive home for Christmas break, and it strangely put me in the holiday spirit.
Monique
Reading this classic short story by Washington Irvin really, truly 'cleansed the palate', as some book reviewers would put it. After reading mainly contemporary fiction, it was a breath of fresh air to read a classic piece of literature.

Some years ago, I saw the film adaptation of this book by Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp (who else? Say “Tim Burton” and the next name should be “Johnny Depp”) in the lead role of Ichabod Crane. Although the writers of the movie took certain liberties with respect
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 4
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 3: Wave of Mutilation
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • Dracula's Guest
  • Grimm's Fairy Stories
  • Gulliver's Travels (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Alchemist
  • Hero Tales from American History
  • Beauty and the Beast
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...

“I profess not to know how women's hearts are wooed and won. To me they have always been matters of riddle and admiration.” 115 likes
“ All these, however, were mere terrors of the night, phantoms of the mind that walk in darkness; and though he had seen many spectres in his time, and been more than once beset by Satan in divers shapes, in his lonely pre-ambulations, yet daylight put an end to all these evils; and he would have passed a pleasent life of it, in despite of the devil and all his works, if his path had not been crossed by a being that causes more perplexity to mortal man than ghosts, goblins, and the whole race of witches put together, and that was - a woman.” 53 likes