Patton on Leadership

Patton on Leadership

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Illustrated by Patton's decisive moves and distinctive style, executives and managers are presented with straightforward, practical lessons in dynamic, results-oriented management. Chapters cover how to develop a leadership attitude, communicate effectively, inspire others, and more. Photos.
Published September 1st 2001 by Prentice Hall Press (first published November 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Patton on Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Patton on Leadership

Jim Bouchard
General Patton has always been one of my heroes; Alex Axelrod teaches me why. His commentary on quotations from Patton and those who knew him provide excellent lessons for leadership in business and personal life.

If you're a Patton fan; you'll love this. If you're not; you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Franco Arda
Military collected more genuine intellects and risk thinkers than most if not all other professions ... and Patton was definitely one of them.

Based on books and the brilliant movie PATTON, he was a truly charismatic personality. Tough, arrogant, bold and direct. And this book displays his characteristics beautifully.

The uniqueness of 'Patton on Leadership' lies in the layout. After a short quote or an inscription in Patton's field notebook follows a more detailed description of the meaning/depth...more
B.E.
I read this book years ago when I was working as management support. When my daughter was struggling with some of the things her leadership professor was saying, I found a copy of this book - just to show her there is another way to approach management. I've been reading it to her over the phone and plan on sending snippets via email. Not everything is pertinent, but it's still a damn good book. (And I even found a few inspirational quotes I can use to fuel myself for my own work.)
Steve Rangoussis
May 22, 2010 Steve Rangoussis rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone in a leadership role
General Patton's no nonsense approach to leading men has many lessons that are captured in this book. The importance of consistency, standards, accountability, and the ability for a leader to communicate effectively with his team (even using their vernacular) are all addressed. Another essential leadership book that is a must read.
Conrad Heibel
Throw Good to Great and all the other boring business books away. This slim volume speaks volumes, not only to Patton's leadership, but what lessons we can learn in the business world. I have recommended this to all my managers and to all those who want to make a real difference.
Todd
Patton was certainly a leader to take note of, and Axelrod did a good job summing up Patton's words and deeds then distilling general leadership principles from them. The book was written crisply, though with a good deal of repetition. This makes it ideal for a busy person who might read it in bits and pieces. No need to take notes, the repeated lessons drill themselves home as one works through the book. A quick read that will help one appreciate the leader Patton was, and perhaps help one to s...more
"Patton on Leadership" by Alan Axelrod did not focus on the life of Patton and was not a biography. Instead, the book was a compilation of various quotes from Patton throughout his schooling and military career. Patton on Leadership began with an overview of Patton's life and significant aspects of his career that are essential to understanding his leadership strategy he used throughout his career. The background takes the reader throught a quick overview of Patton's climb up the leader ladder a...more
Lawrence Hung
A page-turning book on leadership with one of the American genius military leader. I really learned a lot from the book, although it is always the case that adaptations should be advisable. However, the book outlines and explains the importance of speed, of determination to achieve, of leading by examples, etc., all sort of things today's leaders in business should have acquired of, in a very clear and logical manner. The best part of the book is of course how the author melds and make applicati...more
Timothy Isenmann
Most of the world views General George S. Patton as an egotistical, vane, power hungry, bloodthirsty warmonger. What he really was, was probably the greatest motivator, planner, organizer, tactician and strategist the US Army has ever produced.

Through a lifetime of study and application, Patton amassed a core set of practices and techniques that successfully and smoothly transform into the business world. Mr. Axelrod reviews these precepts and expands on their application to real-world business...more
Gian-luca Cioletti
An other good example of leadership!
Angel
This has become one of my favorite books on leadership and on just getting things done. I borrowed it from my public library after a lucky moment browsing the stacks. I am glad I took it out, and it is definitely a book I am planning on buying as soon as I can.

Here is my note on it from my personal blog:

[http://itinerantlibrarian.blogspot.co...]
Meggen
This was a really great book about leadership. It had some interesting, yet simple insights. The concepts were well presented and easy to understand, as well as to see how they can be applied to today's leadership opportunities. There are a few places where "colorful" quotes are used. If you can get past the Patton language every now and then you will glean many useful nuggets of leadership truth.
Marsha Thompson
Work - Team Book
This book was pretty good. I like the emphasis on support of the team members. Some of it was very easy to relate to the working world but some of it was a stretch. One thing for certain it was a easy read and becuase of that I would recommend it to others.
Laurel Fischback
I really enjoy this book. Patton was a colorful character who understood the value of praise. This book is well written, half the material is actual quotes by Patton. I highly recommend this book.
James
Short business audio book but did not learn too much other than Patton smacked some guy with a glove, later had to apologize only to find out that the smack was the most remembered thing.
Patrick
Great leadership/organizational principles book. I have now read to twice. Very short chapters for when you have just a minute to read. The ideas are both inspirational and insightful.
Bala
Very nice book with insights into Patton's leadership style and how it applies today. Of course, a few of his principles won't apply for corporate world. Still, a good read.
Bill
A timeless must read for anyone in a position of strategic leadership, whether in the corporate world, today's military, politicians and up and coming leaders.
Chris Rea
This book is filled with plenty of practical lessons, from one of histories most colorful and talent figures.
Terrie
May 08, 2008 Terrie marked it as abandoned
Recommended to Terrie by: UGC CTO Team
Having to miss two of the discussions on this book, I didn't finish.
Colin
The book that most inspired me as a schoolteacher(!)
JD
Absolutely essential book on understanding leadership.
Foo Hup
A surprisingly easy to read book...
William Mullen
William Mullen marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Eric L
Eric L marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jeff Ford
Jeff Ford marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Mary-Charles
Mary-Charles marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Elizabeth I CEO: Strategic Lessons from the Leader Who Built an Empire Patton: A Biography The Real History of the American Revolution: A New Look at the Past Miracle at Belleau Wood: The Birth of the Modern U.S. Marine Corps Profiles in Audacity: Great Decisions and How They Were Made