Start by marking “The Improvisational Cook” as Want to Read:
The Improvisational Cook

The Improvisational Cook

In The Improvisational Cook, Sally Schneider helps home cooks declare their independence from recipes and set lists of ingredients and offers an invitation to a fun, more spontaneous way to cook with whatever is on hand. But how do you become an improvisational cook? Once you understand how a basic technique or a recipe works, you can then begin to improvise. Start with on ...more
Published October 10th 2006 by William Morrow & Company (first published October 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Improvisational Cook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Improvisational Cook

Inder
May 17, 2008 Inder rated it it was amazing
Shelves: domesticarts, cooking
Ooooh, I really like this book. Steve made the most wonderful chicken from it (and yes, I ate a little), while I made some gorgeous white beans with crispy sage. Uh, yum!

I've returned it to the library, but I'll probably have to check it out again.

I really appreciate the improvisational approach, but that was my style anyway. I can't remember the last time I faithfully followed a recipe (Steve, on the other hand, is a recipe follower). I tend to just work with what I have, use cookbooks for id
Sasha
Apr 27, 2009 Sasha rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction, cooking
I like what she says about improvising, but on a more basic level the dishes she gravitates towards aren't as appealing to me. There's very little about beans, and surprisingly there seems to be much more meat than vegetable dishes. So for a vegetarian or someone who eats more vegetarian food, this is a book worth getting from the library rather than the bookstore.

I also think this book shines when it is systematic, as in the section on ingredient combinations where she basically says "what grow
Bglassman Glassman
Jun 02, 2008 Bglassman Glassman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Serious eaters and occasional hosts, who are not adept chefs.
I suffer from total performance anxiety in the kitchen. This book alters the way I approach a meal, and a set of recipes, and makes it possible to do really interesting things with what is at hand. Most important, it does what PowerPoint does -- it provides templates that you can fill in. Serious chefs, like serious communicators, don't settle for PowerPoint. Nor will they settle for The Improvisational Cook. But for the rest of us, who would like to be able to throw something good together when ...more
Destabee
Jul 28, 2008 Destabee rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: cooks with a sense of artistry or adventure.
Recommended to Destabee by: no one
Shelves: cookbooks
I checked this book out from the library. I like that it moves beyond the "science of cooking" to the "art of cooking." Only one thing is holding me back from buying a copy of my own; the book includes too much that is not relevant for my food ideology (little meat and eating local and seasonally).

I would love to find a book like this and this well done that focused more on grains and seasonal produce. With that said if you like to cook in ways that are creative and innovative, you should find
Meghan Armstrong
Jun 18, 2009 Meghan Armstrong rated it it was amazing
This cookbook has rocked my world. I read it like a novel. There are very few photos, but my mouth was watering with every page. Despite the fact that there are tons of recipes in this book I wouldn't make, I feel truly inspired by all the possible improvisations that begin within. The entire dessert section is phenomenal. I can't wait to try a bunch of these ideas this summer and fall, when the produce is fresh.
Kate Peckham
Jun 21, 2009 Kate Peckham rated it it was amazing
Shelves: foodstuffs
This book is in my kitchen, out on the shelf. I refer to it several times a week when I'm cooking. I love it. It has given me permission to be creative in the kitchen. I always thought I couldn't cook until I gave myself permission to fail. This book gave me a whole new perspective. I have a special place in my heart for any book that can do that.
Jan 01, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-food
So far, I've learned that I am not a lazy cook that just uses what's on hand instead of heading to the store... I'm an improvisational cook! Now I just have to learn more of the techniques in the book.
Ann Quinn
May 13, 2013 Ann Quinn rated it it was amazing
Love it. I've ordered it from Better World Books, to have a keeper copy. Great ideas, great inspiration to get away from recipes.
Kris
Jul 24, 2013 Kris rated it really liked it
"Much of the process of improvising involves cultivating a mind-set - open, associative, resourceful - that spurs ideas and lets them flow. It's being willing to ask: What would happen if? ... Then you just go ahead and try out your idea, experiment with an open mind and without fear of the outcome, the mess you make, and the possibly imperfect results. This flies in the face of our notions of what cooking is "supposed" to be and look like - a stylist setting, an orderly series of events, one fo ...more
May
Jan 31, 2012 May rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks, read-2012
+ side: detailed explanations on how one can improvise a basic recipe such as almost homemade mayonnaise and salt-roasted trout
- side: no pictures of any of the recipes. All we get are some photos of ingredients which if you were cooking Asian or Middle Eastern, would be necessary but since the author stays safely within the confines of North American/European fare, I would have preferred photos of the dishes themselves. Also, I didn't find many of the recipes all that appealing. For one thing,
Oct 01, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: cooking
I really only skimmed this for recipes, so my review is incomplete, but here goes. I like Schneider's approach of breaking down recipes into (A) methods and (B) flavor combinations. For me, though, there was a lot I already knew and some things that didn't really interest me. I do hope to try some recipes, but I'm already so accustomed to improvising that I'll probably use the ideas just to tweak what I'm already doing. For beginning or less confident cooks, this could be a great way to jump to ...more
Aguess
Sep 21, 2011 Aguess rated it really liked it
This a great cookbook. I hated to return it to the library last week. It has the kind of recipes that can set you off on culinary adventures of your own. And because the basic recipes are so simple, you might not even need the book in the kitchen while you are cooking. it might be the only cookbook in my collection that could avoid the inevitable food stains!
Holly
Mar 25, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can you really "read" a cookbook? Yes! The writer offers little stories along with the recipes about where they came from and how she tailored them to fit her needs. In addition to the original recipe she offers a way to improvise with different ingredients. I made a few of the dishes and each one was wonderful!
Lisa
Jul 18, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Rechecked multiple times from library. Will p/u a used copy soon. Love the creativity this inspired in me. I'm usually much more comfortable cooking from a recipe, but this gave me some "ground rules" and creates a comfort zone where I feel I can safely experiment.
Renee
Nov 13, 2009 Renee rated it it was amazing
This cookbook works from my basic philosphy of cooking: understand the basics of a recipe and then experiment with lots of versions. The slow roasted pork is wonderful!! I also love her slaws, and slow roasted tomatoes.
Nancy Schechtman
Jun 20, 2015 Nancy Schechtman rated it really liked it
Terrific! This is what I try to teach my students. Think outside the box. Use what you like and what you have on hand.
The book is basic and full of information. Great book for cooks who are trying to venture out.
Debbie
Aug 14, 2012 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks-i-own

A great concept for a cookbook. Following a recipe and then using the techniques and flavor profiles to improvise with ingredients at hand. I've already tried a few of the recipes with great success.
Laverne
Mar 07, 2009 Laverne rated it it was amazing
This is a great addition to your bookshelf in the kitchen. If you are like me and use recipes as a guide rather than a prescription, this is the book for you. So many great ideas to bring your cooking to the next level.
Sandy
Jan 20, 2008 Sandy added it
since i refuse to follow recipes but sometimes like to flip through cookbooks when i feel like i have been eating the same thing too often--this woman is smart and creative
Tara
Jul 11, 2009 Tara rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Makes me really wanna cook. Thats what a cookbook should do.
Superkirsten Hudson
Sep 09, 2008 Superkirsten Hudson rated it really liked it
yum. what grows together goes together. since i'm a haphazard cook, i love reading about general ideas rather than recipes with no flexibility.
Christopher Prosser
May 30, 2008 Christopher Prosser rated it really liked it
cookbooks
Stephanie
Jan 29, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. the recipes are simple but taste delicious and aren't boring. I bought this for myself a week ago online and am waiting for it to arrive so I can start cooking again!
Lori
May 29, 2007 Lori rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-library
What grows together, goes together. We know.
Barb
Mar 01, 2009 Barb rated it it was amazing
Great book. Simple, quick recipes. Well-written. Good weekend book. I love the fried egg-asapargus-parmigiano.
Tara
May 17, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully written, eye-opening cookbook about how to cook as well as what to cook.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it really liked it
My favorite cookbook by this author
Jul 14, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Lots of great ideas in this one by a former Martha Stewart-kitchen cook (I believe, might need to double check that).
Mindy
Mar 13, 2011 Mindy rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-cookbooks
Interesting to browse through, but didn't really find anything I want to try.
Mar 05, 2010 Jennifer marked it as to-read
Shelves: food
Checked out from the library. Barely looked at. Thought M would like it, but he never got around to looking at it before it needed to be returned.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • How to Break an Egg: 1,453 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions, and Handy Techniques
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Zingerman's Guide to Good Eating: How to Choose the Best Bread, Cheeses, Olive Oil, Pasta, Chocolate, and Much More
  • The Elements of Cooking: Translating the Chef's Craft for Every Kitchen
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • Mastering the Art of Chinese Cooking
  • The Babbo Cookbook
  • Beyond the Great Wall: Recipes and Travels in the Other China
  • The Quick Recipe
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • The Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without
  • River Cottage Every Day
  • Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • The Minimalist Cooks at Home: Recipes That Give You More Flavor from Fewer Ingredients in Less Time
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »