Start by marking “Sleep Softly” as Want to Read:
Sleep Softly

Sleep Softly

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Four little girls--each blond, each on the verge of adolescence--stolen from their families.Their bodies discovered months later in shallow graves, surrounded by trinkets they never owned, clutching a scrap of paper bearing a cryptic verse.

Published February 1st 2008 by Mira Books

To ask other readers questions about Sleep Softly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleep Softly

Pretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardFlawless by Sara ShepardFake Boyfriend by Kate BrianAnatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria SnadowskyGetting Revenge on Lauren Wood by Eileen Cook
Dolls / Barbies
11th out of 60 books — 10 voters
Secrets of the Realm by Bev StoutDeadly Secrets by Angel SeferLone Wolf Rising by Jami BrumfieldFinding Forever by Melisa M. HamlingBorn of Oak and Silver by Marie McKean
Books worth picking up and reading!
32nd out of 132 books — 72 voters

More lists with this book...

Christa
This is the first book I have read from this author, but it will definitely not be the last. This was a good suspense with a bit of romance. I enjoyed the main character, Ashlee Davenport, as well as her family, which included her daughter Jasmine and her grandmother, "Nana." The suspense aspect of the book kept me guessing and I didn't want to put the book down.

Nurse Ashlee Davenport has just finished a forensic nursing course when her dogs greet her with a child's shoe containing part of a foo
Misty
As a forensic nurse in rural South Carolina, Ashlee Davenport Chadwick acts as both caregiver and cop, gathering evidence from anyone who arrives in the local E.R. as the result of a crime. It's a tough job, both physically and emotionally draining, but deeply satisfying.

Then a child's red shoe is discovered on Davenport property. The evidence leads Ashlee to the body of a missing girl and her work suddenly invades every aspect of her life. As an expert and a witness, she must call upon all her
Stefanie
Zeer goede thriller, spannend ... Je krijgt 2 personen aan het woord 'Ash' en de dader. Omdat deze laatste niet zo vaak voorkomt, heb je eigenlijk tot op het laatste geen idee wie het is. Dus echt zeer goed, ik hou wel van verrassingen en deze was er ééntje. Vlot geschreven, maar hier en daar is voor mij de vertaling wel wat een tegenvaller. Ik heb er ondanks dat toch van genoten!
Gwen Hunter is voor mij een aangename ontdekking. Ik ga zeker nog van haar lezen!
De 4 sterren waard volgens mij!
Amy
More suspense than romance, this story starts off after one of Ashlee Davenport Chadwick's dogs finds a child's shoe with a toe in it.

Chadwick is a forensic nurse/cop and soon she is on the trail where she discovers the body of a missing girl.

This crime invades every aspect of Ashlee's life and she has to call upon all of her resources to get through this.

Will she succeed?

Kelly
3 stars is too low, and they don't give half stars. So I guess by default it is a 4. Sleep Softly is VERY losely spun off from the Dr. Rhea series, this was a brainless, fun, fluffy forensic mystery. Every once in awhile you need bubble gum for the brain to clear out from heavy reading, and this did so without being insulting. A serial kidnapper of young girls takes a keen interest in a typical Southern family--if typical can be used describe over 250 people of all vocations and race. Someone ou ...more
Boekenfans
Geschonken door Harlequin.nl

RECENSIES

GESCHREVEN DOOR STEFANIE ROELS
Gwen Hunte
Kathy Gray
I actually liked this book better than I thought I would. The line on the cover that said "He's searching for his perfect daughter...with each little girl he takes" made me think it would be really scary and all about the guy doing it. But it was also about the forensic nurse and her end of things that I found interesting.
Maryrose
Wonderful Read

I loved this book, fast paced, edge of your seat, and doesn't let go until the end. Gwen Hunter is an excellent suspense writer. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good romantic suspense thriller.
Nadia
This book is a great thriller and definitely a change to books I usually read.
The killer is in search of a daughter, more specifically, HIS daughter.
So when the girls he kidnap, throw stuff around and trash him, he kills them. A serial killer. Thats for sure. But when he sees a woman on the TV, he's sure that she will make the perfect mother for his 'daughter'. Now, he plans to kidnap her...
I guess this book was good but at the same time it was disturbing as little girls were being killed...
All
Cindi
Apr 08, 2010 Cindi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Gwen Hunter is a great suspense storyteller. Her plots are not perfect, her heroines occasionally do stupid things, the romance is a little corny...but they are page turners!!! Once I begin, I have a hard time putting one down! When forensic nurse Ashlee Davenport Chadwick discovers the partially buried body of a young girl on her property, she is drawn into an FBI investigation of the serial kidnapper/killer who has fatherly feelings toward his young female victims. I liked how the psychologica ...more
Stephanie Brush
this books was very very good!
i give it 5 stars
this book i chouldnt put down, it had me guessing the whole and i had the end it was shocking, but i wont give it away, youll have to read the book to find out who did it, this book also has some romance parts in it that were cute ♥
Terrie
Note that this is actually a sequel to Hunter's book Ashes to Ashes which is really difficult to find. I hope this continues to become another series, and enjoyed the cameo by Dr. Rhea-Rhea. Enjoyable mystery with elements from many of Hunter's other series...family dynasty, medicine, and the Carolinas.
Pam Rauber
It takes a very brave and bold writer to throw themselves out there and tell a tale of children being kidnapped and ultimately murdered. It is a touchy subject. Heart wrenching. As sad as it is to think about the subject, Gwen Hunter managed to write the subject with delicacy and compassion.
Susan
I really enjoyed this book. Then again, I have really liked all of Gwen Hunter's books. This one, in particular, I could really feel the author's love for the main character. I hope there are more Ash books in the future!
Mirandana
Dit boek leest echt als een trein en een goed verhaal, verteld vanuit Ashlee en de dader. Doordat de dader bijna niet aan het woord is blijft het tot eind onduidelijk wie het nou eigenlijk is.
Sara
This was an amazing book, my only problem was trying to put it down and go to bed I loved all the characters and it kept you on the edge of your seat until the last page :)
Dana
really good book! kept my interest and was sort of predictable, meaning that i actually guessed who did the
crime, but still, another great book from gwen hunter.
Aleta
This is an absorbing mystery, told mostly in first person by the forensic nurse who becomes entangled, but with quick looks in on the very creepy murderer.
Kelly Barhorst
Slow at first then built up into a page turner. Kinda sad since it involved children, made you think about it and relate to real life happenings.
Miranda
Wat een ongelooflijk goed boek dit. Van begin tot eind spannend en pas op het laatst duidelijk wie de dader is. Echt een aanrader.
Cindy
I liked this book. A nice easy read that kept my attention. The ending was unexpected but nothing in the story led up to the ending.
Iris
Zeer aangenaam verrast door dit boek.
Werd continue op het verkeerde been gezet.
Ga zeker meer van Gwen Hunter lezen.
Denise
Not so good as her Rhea Lynch novels :( Disappointed. Kidnapped little girls. Forensic Nurse detective.
Sandra
This was an OK book, not bad and not really good, if that makes sense. I really liked the main character.
Andrea
Good book, full of suspsense and keep you on your toes. I love the sense of humor in book. :)
Michelle Plass
Fabulous book! An ending I didn't see coming. Very unique twist and well written book.!
Charley
Not at all what I expected. It has a surprising twist to it.
Kristie Maguire
Very good book full of plot twists and turns.
Philip
Great thriller, set in Columbia, SC. Good stuff.
Ladiibbug
Feb 22, 2009 Ladiibbug marked it as to-read
Rec. by Christa

Avail. via Books Free
  • Kiss of Death
  • Body Count (Sophie Anderson,  #1)
  • Trapped  (Randall Shane #2)
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • The Perfect Murder (Last Stand Series,  #6)
  • Bloedlijn (Jessica Haider #1)
  • The Deadliest Strain
  • Stay With Me: A Brenna Spector Novel of Suspense
  • Traceless (Less Series, #1)
  • Black Water (A Jane Yellowrock Story, #6.3)
  • Suspect
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • The Secret Cardinal (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #5)
  • I See You
  • Inferno
  • Kalte Stille
  • Dark Places (Claire Morgan #2)
Delayed Diagnosis (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #1) Prescribed Danger (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #2) Deadly Remedy (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #3) Grave Concerns (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #4) Bloodstone