AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll: The Ultimate Story of the World's Greatest Rock-And-Roll Band

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  332 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Over three decades and more than 150 million albums, AC/DC has established itself as much more than just a great rock band. For millions of fans spanning several generations across the world, they are an ear-bleedingly loud, sweat-soaked religion, courtesy of such classic albums as Highway to Hell and Back in Black.

Now, in a book of astonishing breadth and scope, comes, fo...more
Published January 2nd 2007 by HarperEntertainment (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about AC/DC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AC/DC

baggyparagraphs
All the singer from Newcastle knew was that a rock band in London was looking for a front man. it was guaranteed worthwhile to come down and audition. He borrowed money for a rental car and made the trip. Arriving at the address, he found some fellows playing pool and assumed they were the musicians—but they were just the crew. After 20 minutes the band’s manager came downstairs looking for him and summoned him up to the rehearsal room. Brian Johnson was stunned when he entered, asking, “Is this...more
Sara
Jan 11, 2008 Sara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who knows "Dirty Deeds" by heart, complete with growls and screams
I love AC/DC. like, I really love AC/DC. the opening riff on "Highway To Hell" makes me tear up the way some people do when they hear "The Star Spangled Banner." I'm planning to get one of Bon Scott's tattoos replicated on my own body. I would cut off one of my phalanges to see them play live. I love AC/DC.

I've been on a rock-biography kick lately, and various reviews on Amazon.com suggested that Maximum Rock & Roll was the definitive AC/DC book. I bought it a couple of days later. let me te...more
Thomas Strömquist
"Came very close to quitting this one on a number of occasions, but I kept at it, since I wanted to read about the band. The book is not very well written and often I had to go back trying to figure out who was quoted or referred to. The band has obviously been very secretive towards press and public and the book is more or less an enormous amount of totally uninteresting, pointless anecdotes which the authors never puts into context, explains or theorizes about. The hard facts of dates, record...more
Neil Kernohan
A very thorough and engrossing career chronicle of one of the finest heavy rock'n'roll bands of all time. The authors extensively researched media and press interviews of the band and its management going right back to the early days when AC/DC made their way up through the club circuit in their native Sydney. There are excellent insights into how Malcolm and Angus Young crafted their no nonsense boogie and blues sound to deliver stripped down, high volume rock'n'roll. Two thirds of the book cov...more
Nycdreamin
First published in 2006 by Harper-Collins Australia, "AC/DC Maximum Rock & Roll" was finally reprinted in the United States by Harper Entertainment in 2008.

I picked up a copy of this 488 page treasure trove of AC/DC info earlier this summer at a book sale at my local library for only $1.00. After reading the book, I'd have to say I'd have been just as glad to pay the original cover price of $16.95 - the book is a must read for any AC/DC fanatic and will be just as enjoyable to people who are...more
Scott Holstad
I wanted to give this bio on AC/DC more stars, but I think it has too many weaknesses to do that. That said, this 488 page book is a beast of a bio and one does learn quite a lot about the band.

This well-researched book starts out in the '60s with the Young brothers. Malcolm and Angus watched as their older brother George achieved some international stardom with a group called The Easybeats, but that group didn't last too long. The brothers were excellent guitar players and started playing early...more
Didrik
I often find it hard to read biographies like this, especially when they're the size of a large brick, as I'm terrible with focusing on things and biographies that aren't autobiographies tends to be telling facts rather than a story, if you know what I mean. So, I was a bit skeptical about starting on this because I wasn't sure how the hell I was going to get through this thing.

But it was a pretty interesting read. I struggled a lot with all the names and dates - there was quite a lot of it, so...more
J
What a killer book! Maximum Rock & Roll has got to be the best AC/DC biography to date. Unlike Stenning's Two Sides To Every Glory, Maximum Rock & Roll is told with an authoritative and fairly sophisticated flavor that makes it fun and educational. Reading about the band's origins and the Bon Scott years was enthralling, while the subsequent portion of the book dealing with the Brian Johnson era and AC/DC's real megastardom is thought provoking. This is a band who had a three decade care...more
Rick Ramos
Aug 20, 2008 Rick Ramos rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with great taste in music!
I know exactly why it took me so long to get into AC/DC - it was a simple matter of writing them off as a ridiculous eighties, white-boy, hair band. Shame on me for taking twenty years to realize that they were so much more: A hard-rocking, blues and rock & roll inspired band that kicked the hell out of every stage they ever played. It's strange that the book portrays them as such fastidious artists. I never expected that, but I guess when you want to be the best you have to wipe away all of...more
Christopher Hivner
If you're a fan of AC/DC this book has all the behind the scenes information you could want. It begins even before the formation of the band with the story of Angus and Malcolm's older brother George and his story of success in the 60s pop band The Easybeats. Once Malcolm started AC/DC, George helped the band avoid the pitfalls he had fallen into. This book is very detailed, filled with insights into how the songs were written, all the venues where they performed year by year, and also many anec...more
Clay
What a fabulous book. I had no idea at 1% of the information in this book.
It follows the Young family from Scotland to Australia and then goes to the older brother George Young who was in the Pop band the Easybeats which gained some airplay in the UK and the US.

The book then gets into the beginnings of ACDC pre Bon Scott as the lead singer then when he joined until his death which is just about half way through the book and then the search begins for a new singer just as they are are the precipi...more
Lawrence
Dec 29, 2007 Lawrence rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: music fans
OK, so I had to read this book for work but I am glad I did. I have dug AC/DC for 25 years or more at this point. This book is fairly uncritical in terms of how it deals with the band members and the music, but what it lacks in objectivity is made up for in the access the authors had to the band and the many people around it over the years. Reading about Bon Scott alone makes you realize that the guy could never have been anything other than a rock god!

488 pages of AC/DC is probably more than th...more
Matti Karjalainen
Murray Engleherarin ja Arnaud Durieuxin kirjoittama "AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll" (Otava, 2007) on kiinnostava läpileikkaus australialaisen hard rock -yhtyeen uraan. George Youngin 60-lukuisen the Easybeats -bändin vaiheista käynnistyvä kirja ulottuu aivan näihin päiviin saakka. Kirjan kiinnostavin osa käsittelee Bon Scott -vuosia, mutta samaahan oikeastaan voidaan sanoa koko yhtyeestä.

Mötley Cruen "The Dirtin" ja muiden sekoiluun keskittyvien rock-elämäkertojen sijasta "AC/DC: Maximum Rock &...more
Amanda
This is the first in a sequence of books I plan to read on well-loved music artists from the second half of the twentieth century. As such, I read this with little knowledge of hard rock and aided by some serious youtube-ing it worked well as a crash course in AC/DC and the genre in general. Though the details might be a bit much for some, the lists of influences and AC/DC contemporaries were perfect for my needs. Though I am not a lifelong fan, after reading this book and going through AC/DC's...more
Rich Jonny's Son
AC/DC: Maximum Rock & Roll: The Ultimate Story of the World's Greatest Rock-and-Roll Band (Paperback) by Murray Engleheart is all about AC/DC one of the greatest rock bands in the world. They have millions of fans. Their main internal conflict is their original singer died. Their main external conflict is being so freaking awsome.

while reading this book i made a text-to-self connection. based on how AC/DC is a band and i'm in a band. Also how AC/DC started out as a garage band and worked th...more
Pedro Benoliel
Probably the best thing ever sold by [British discount store chain] Poundland. I can't believe this only cost me £1. Amazing read, well-written, in-depth, and full of intriguing information and amusing anecdotes which will thrill any fan of the band. Angus Young is even more my hero after reading this - it takes resolve to stay away from drugs and alcohol when you play in a rock'n'roll band!

My reaction when I saw it in Poundland: :O !!!! *gasp* *snatch*

Biased Fanboy Rating: 5/5
Objective Rating:...more
Karyn Jantz
What can I say? I love rock bios and this one is crazy complete with so many details, I found myself going back and referring to times, dates to keep myself on the time line. It is filled with so much rock and roll history it is the ultimate story of an incredible band and the roller coaster ride they have been on in this world. Anything you've ever wanted to know about these boys, you can find it in this book. I learned a lot!
Jonathan Laureys
been reading the dutch version of this book.. very chaotic but i loved reading it! definately reading the original version someday..
Jim Winski
Wow, what an amazing book. The research that these guys did on the history of AC/DC was exhaustive and complete. In reading the book, you feel like you are along for the ride with the band. If you are a fan, this is a must read. If you are not a fan, read it anyway and you'll come away with a real appreciation for how hard these guys worked to get where they are, and how much they really care about their work..
Nicoleta
OUTSTANDING!!! If you're a fan of AC/DC you definitely should read it. To be honest there were a lot of things I have never heard about them and I was quite amazed to find all about their lives. Now I really feel I know every single detail of their personal lives and it's a strange feeling, like you're one of them, the big AC/DC family.....One more thing to say:lots of fun!
Rick Brindle
An exhaustive history of the band, focussing, as is usual for these books, on the beginings and rise to fame, becmining more of a summary once the successful formula had been achieved. None the less, a really good book, very informative, and revealing at the long shadow cast by Bon Scott's tragedy. I was a big fan before I read this, now I like them even more!
Ian Peddle
A must read for AC/DC fans, and a great read for anyone interested in how they came to be, or rock history in general. They stuck to a formula that was widely criticized for close to 7 years - By everyone except those who saw them live of course. Record execs, promoters and the experts said they had nothing and wouldn't last - Here we are just about 40 years later.
Shoe
I am a die hard AC/DC fan and I really enjoyed this biography on the boys. There were some errors that I noticed as well as not enough info on the Brian Johnson era in the band. Overall, a fun read and some great pics of the band that I have not seen before. I wish it was officially releases with the band too.
David
Not bad for the sort of biographical book that you know is directed at fans of ACDC, so of course its going to be a bit of a feel good and "arn't they great" type of book. It picks and chooses the information that is presented but overall it was a pretty entertaining read with a lot of background.
Rod
i've been a fan for over 25 years. This book gave me a really good look into their personal lives and band history. Lots of fun. I really like how they made a chapter out of every album the band put out - very informative.
John Scott
Well researched, horrible writing. If you're not a huge AC/DC fan, don't read this. I plowed through it because I am.
Steve
AC/DC is Malcolm Young's band. His brother Angus certainly plays a significant role, but at it's core, this band lives and breathes on Malcolm's philosophy about music and the music industry.
Charles
Definitely fairly comprehensive. It was a little pedantic in places, I thought, and not the most exciting read. If you're a big fan of the band, as I am, it's worth reading.
Rob
Great book. I didn't know much about AC/DC's history. Lots of good insight on the guys and their beginnings up to the Stiff Upper Lip album from a few years ago.
Being a massive fan of AC/DC I was eager to read this book. I loved it and it gave a great insight into the members and formation of a brilliant band.
who do you think is the worlds greatest rock-and-roll band? 3 13 Feb 21, 2009 09:25AM
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan : Caught in the Crossfire:  The Blazing National Bestseller
  • Iron Man: My Journey Through Heaven & Hell with Black Sabbath
  • Passion Is a Fashion: The Real Story of the Clash
  • A Riot of Our Own: Night and Day with the Clash
  • Stairway to Heaven: Led Zeppelin Uncensored
  • Run to the Hills: Iron Maiden, the Authorized Biography
  • Music is My Mistress
  • Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll: Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll
  • Iggy Pop: Open Up and Bleed
  • Eye Mind: Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators
  • Alice Cooper, Golf Monster: A Rock 'n' Roller's 12 Steps to Becoming a Golf Addict
  • Light My Fire