El Conocimiento Silencioso

El Conocimiento Silencioso (The Teachings of Don Juan #8)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  1,602 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Castaneda relates stories told by Don Juan and his own experiences with the don. The vivid depictions of Don Juan's powers and personality will reawaken readers' fascination.
Published October 28th 2006 by GAIA (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about El Conocimiento Silencioso, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Conocimiento Silencioso

Sep 15, 2007 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pagans
Shelves: witchynonfiction
I am going to give the same review to all the Carlos Castaneda books I read in that series, simply because they are all outstanding. I was lucky to come across Castaneda very early on my magickal path. My spells and rituals have always relied on the power of intent, and I have found no better education on how to focus your intent than in this series of books. Back then (1994) they were classifed as nonfiction. Lately, they say they are fiction. All I know is much of what is in these books works....more
Ahmad
سکوت لحظه ای است از زبان، خاموش شدن و لال شدن نیست، سرپیچی از گفتن است؛ پس خود گونه ای سخن گفتن است. سارتر
Henk
This was the only book after the first four by Castaneda that appealed to me. The dense and interrelated concepts woven into metaphors with RAM hungry thinking required to try and comprehend drove the point home that dedicated practice to the point of a lifestyle change is the least effort required to even begin to expect benefits from these teachings.
Back to dedicated practice as the only way to growth... .
I found the writings of Lujan Matus -especially Whisperings of the Dragon; Shamanic tech...more
Jandy James
By the time I read this 20 years had elapsed since reading A Yacqui Way of Knowledge. I read every Castaneda since, and though each follows the same man's life, each reveals more for as Carlos moves forward, he integrates more and more of those previous experiences. A cynic might say this is a clever way to sell books. I continue to read Castaneda because I continue to get value from it.
Gori Suture
This book covers the importance of perception, how to control one’s perception by shifting the “assemblage point,” and lessons in understanding intent and silent knowledge. It is some rather abstract ideas, but I didn’t have any trouble following the concepts, even though I read this book out of order. My only complaint is that it’s a little skinny and doesn’t feel complete.
Cheryl
Personally I have no concern with whether these books are fiction or non-fiction, I found them to be good friends. Some very enjoyable tricks learned in the choices I makes when interacting with my environment.
Mark
"Power of Silence" challenges the targeted reader to take action to consolidate their energy, develop their awareness, and improve their ability to handle intent. The lessons here are priceless.
Karen Robiscoe

The Power of Silence. I've read all his books, but this is my favorite. Speaks the most to method for achieving enlightenment--figuratively speaking, of course. :)
Kari
Re-reading in conjunction with a book on ZPF and Quantum Mechanics (The Field by Lynne McTaggart)...they go together quite well, like the right wine with dinner...
Bert Carson
Carlos Castaneda didn't understand Don Juan Matus but Don Juan understood everything and that's what matters.
Iona  Main Stewart
This is the first book I’ve read by Castaneda in the last many, many years. I’m afraid I’m not good at reading books in the correct order, and this applies with Castaneda’s books too. It would perhaps have been easier to begin with his first books.

In this book we are instructed, among other things, about the art of stalking and the mastery of intent.

We learn about a point of brilliance called the assemblage point on the surface of the luminous ball surrounding our body. When this is moved from i...more
CD
This is one that I have brand new shiny copy that I bet money I've never read.

June 2011

Another box of books has been reopened for cleaning, sorting, and reevaluation and lo and behold, many of the collected works of Carlos Castaneda are part of the contents.

Many years have gone but I remember this author and his works vividly. [Now don't get any ideas as to an allusion I may or may not be making] At some point I stopped purchasing more in the series and put them away. There's a 'blur' factor as...more
Eliana
One of the most fascinating looks into another culture's belief system about our place in the universe that I've ever read. All the ones after this keep getting better and better. An incredible mentorship and friendship between the author and his Yaqui native shaman mentor.
Emilio Mireles
Haven't read this book yet, but read it for yourself don't let these opinions dictate your life.
Patrick
Castaneda was a graduate student studying Anthropology and was doing his thesis on Mexican Shaman and their use of regional plants and herbs to induce psychotropic effects in an attempt to cure people of various illnesses. Castaneda starts off with a scientist view, as a skeptic and later is blown away by what happens to him, which then becomes his life long pursuits. If you plan on reading these books, start with the Yaqui Way of Life, which is the first book and be prepared to be engrossed in...more
Ivinela Samuilova
All books of Carlos Castaneda are very important to me. He (and his Don Juan), Vadim Zeland - writer from Russia, quantum physicist and Alexey Bachev - an unusual psychologist from Bulgaria, protagonist of my book Life Can Be a Miracle have shaped my way of thinking, perceiving, experiencing the reality. Very grateful for showing me the miraculous way of living!!!!
Tiffany
A very enlightening read. I know as with Castaneda's other books it has expanded my philisophical, and physical understandings of the universe. The lessons I've taken from this volume have already started to deeply penetrate my daily perceptions. In some cases I doubt my psyche will ever fully rid itself of those corners and depths of understanding.
Patrick\
Did you find your spot within your egg? Thought not. But this work begins to finish the necessary work Castaneda took on. Don Juan knew that as his form of imersion into that 'other' reality, his sorcery, was dying out, perhaps it was enough to call Castaneda to himself to vivdly keep his method and wisdom alive through his take-him-through-it amanuensis.
Lina
Aug 12, 2013 Lina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Quand j'ai achevé ce roman ou plutôt cette aventure intérieure dans ce silence totale,c'était la fin de toute chose et le début vers l'inconnu!

"Sois gigantesque, débarrasse toi de la Raison".Le pouvoir du Silence,Carlos Castaneda.
Babette
This was my favourite Carlos Castaneda book. It presents the ideas of Intent and stalking yourself very clearly, both concepts I feel are important tools in living a meaningful life regardless of your belief and life purpose.
Lynn
Silence has been a big theme for me this year. Some of the chapters in this book were disturbing. Unfortunately, I did not finish the book before the renewals ran out. I may go back to it eventually.
Drew
Jan 03, 2008 Drew rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who appreciate quietude
The title is the key. Although there is far more to the tales of power than silence alone. This is my favorite of Castaneda's works. Pure zen, quiet, and energetic.
Mat
Carlos Castaneda recounts his time with his teacher, the nagual don Juan, and his experiences with the learning of the abstract cores of sorcery.
Adrian
Aug 01, 2007 Adrian added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: hippies / mystics / open minds
there's book after book after book in this series!
p o w e r f u l stuff. makes me wanna disappear in
Mexico for a while. become a shaman.
Zarya Bintz
This is perhaps my favorite book in the series but I think it necessary to read all of them to fully comprehend what he's writing about.
Matthew Wakefield
I have read this book many times and love it more each time. Castaneda is always a breath of fresh air.
Martin
One of a series of books by Carlos Castenada that jump started by spiritual quest.
Steve Nojek
This is a series that evoked a greater sense of self in me.
Sriram
The one of the Best Book I came across, wonderful book...
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda
  • The Sorcerer's Crossing: A Woman's Journey
  • In Search of the Miraculous: Fragments of an Unknown Teaching
  • When the Impossible Happens: Adventures in Non-ordinary Realities
  • The Center of the Cyclone: Looking into Inner Space
  • Breaking Open the Head: A Psychedelic Journey Into the Heart of Contemporary Shamanism
  • The Mind in the Cave: Consciousness and the Origins of Art
  • Book 4
  • The Book of Secrets (Vigyan Bhairav Tantra )
  • Shamanism: Archaic Techniques of Ecstasy (Bollingen)
  • Urban Shaman
  • Supernatural: Meetings with the Ancient Teachers of Mankind
  • The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge
  • Ultimate Journey
  • Zohar: The Book of Splendor: Basic Readings from the Kabbalah
  • Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream
  • Shamanic Journeying
  • By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism
Carlos Castaneda (December 25, 1925 – April 27, 1998) was a Peruvian-born American author. Immigration records for Carlos Cesar Arana Castaneda indicate that he was born on December 25, 1925 in Cajamarca, Perú. Records show that his surname was given by his mother Susana Castañeda Navoa. His father was Cesar Arana Burungaray. His surname appears with the ñ in many Hispanic dictionaries, even thoug...more
More about Carlos Castaneda...
The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge A Separate Reality Journey to Ixtlan Tales of Power The Art of Dreaming

“Πρώτα από όλα θα θελα να πω ότι όσα κάνω για σένα είναι τσάμπα. Δεν χρειάζεται να πληρώσεις. Όπως ξέρεις, υπήρξα άψογος μαζί σου και όπως ξέρεις, επίσης αυτό δεν έχει καμία σχέση με τις δικές μου επενδύσεις. Παίρνω όμως κάτι ανυπολόγιστης αξίας από τη σχέση μας, ένα είδος ανταμοιβής που φέρομαι άψογα. Και αυτό που παίρνω είναι εκείνο ακριβώς το πράγμα που δεν θα καταλάβεις ή δεν θα σ αρέσει. Αν με κρίνεις σύμφωνα με τις πράξεις μου σε σχέση με σένα, θα πρέπει να παραδεχτείς ότι υπήρξα ένα υπόδειγμα υπομονής και συνέπειας. Εκείνο όμως που δεν ξέρεις είναι ότι για να το καταφέρω αυτό πάλεψα για να μαι άψογος όπως δεν έχω παλέψει ποτέ στη ζωή μου. Για να περνώ το χρόνο μου μαζί σου, έπρεπε να μετασχηματίζω τον εαυτό μου σε καθημερινή βάση, περιοριζόμενος με συντριπτική προσπάθεια. Είσαι μικρόψυχος, σπάταλος, προκατειλημμένος, καταναγκαστικός, ανυπόμονος, ξιπασμένος. Είσαι δύστροπος, υπολογιστής και αγνώμων. Έχεις μια ανεξάντλητη ικανότητα να ευχαριστείς τον εαυτό σου και το χειρότερο απ όλα έχεις μια τρομερή ιδέα για τον εαυτό σου που δεν μαζεύεται με τίποτα. Θα μπορούσα να πω ειλικρινά ότι και η απλή σου παρουσία με κάνει να θέλω να ξεράσω. Οι λόγοι των πολεμιστών είναι πολύ απλοί, η λεπτότητά τους όμως είναι εξαιρετική. Είναι μια σπάνια ευκαιρία για έναν πολεμιστή να του δοθεί η ευκαιρία να είναι άψογος, ενάντια στα αισθήματά του. Εσύ μου έδωσες αυτή τη μοναδική ευκαιρία. Η πράξη του να προσφέρω ελεύθερα και άψογα με ανανεώνει και ανανεώνει και το ενδιαφέρον μου. Αυτά που παίρνω από τη σχέση μας έχουν πραγματικά ανυπολόγιστη αξία για μένα. Σου χρωστάω πολλά.»” 2 likes