Start by marking “Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes, #1)

Odysseus in the Serpent Maze (Young Heroes #1)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Odysseus believed the age of heroes was over. Then he and his friend, along with a spoiled princess named Helen and her cousin Penelope, are kidnapped by pirates!

Their journey leads them to Crete, where Odysseus must face the secret at the heart of the Labyrinth. There was a time when the Minotaur devoured all who entered, but now an even deadlier monster roams the maze. T
Published November 1st 2002 by HarperTrophy (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Odysseus in the Serpent Maze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Odysseus in the Serpent Maze

Heather
This was a fun little read about what Odysseus may have been like as a young teen and some of the adventures he may have had. There was plenty of action and humor and 'will they make it out okay' thrills. I would totally recommend it to young boys (and gals, because Penelope is a strong girl) except for the fact that Odysseus is a champion liar. And he does it all the time. And people think it's funny. And acceptable. And I'm not okay with that. His grandfather is also a master thief and liar an ...more
Courtney Butts
I never fully finished it, but I read almost all of it and it was amazing!!
Corinne
Jun 12, 2014 Corinne marked it as abandoned
A story about young Odysseus. I bought for my kids but they never read it. Since I didn't want to "waste" it I started the story. I am about half way and I'm going to stop. I'm not the target age of course but I don't like reading about young Odysseus. I like to read the classic versions of the story but not a "fictional" version of the story. (Same problem I have with the Percy Jackson series).
Kathie
For the Percy Jackson crowd
Ari Slauson
After reading this book I realized that this would be a good book to read in my future class. It teaches the children to get through different obstacles and challenges. It was a slight confusing, but I really did enjoy the book overall. It had some really good points in the book that kept me going and reading.
Hannah
Admittedly my memory is very vague since I read this years ago when I was in my early teens, but I remember loving this reimagining of Odysseus, Penelope, Helen and various characters as young teens who have to survive some trying adventures that prepare him for his later ones.
Amber Pangburn
This was about a boy who was on a mission to get back home to his family after fighting in a war. He had to go through many obstacles to make it to where he was going. I would use this in a classroom to show the students that there may be obstacles but they can get through them.
Danica
I really enjoyed seeing the characters of Odysseus and Penelope as children. Their relationship in the book was perfectly fitting, considering their relationship in The Odyssey.

Overall, a fun read, but I didn't feel fully satisfied with the end...
Sheila Averbuch
Clever in-weaving of the original Homeric language, from the rosy fingered dawn to the wine dark sea, with an extremely accessible and tightly written adventure. Fabulous introduction to the Greek characters Odysseus, Penelope, Helen and Mentor.
Rosalie
I like revisiting all sorts of myths, this one didn't let me down. Written for a younger crowd, but sticking to the main myths, Jane Yolen engaged me throughout the whole novel. I'd recommend this to any young or adult reader.
Ratforce
As a fan of both mythology and stories about heroes, you might want to try the Young Heroes series. The first volume follows a young Odysseus, and the other books tell tales of Hippolyta, Atalanta, and Jason.
Elizabeth
Percy Jackson series got me more interested in greek myths and I found some by Yolen that were great one night reads. Fun twist on the greek myth characters.
Ashley
i am just starting to like this book... but it is really fun to disipher the old grammer they use mixed in with the funny comady from this century
Tina
Great book for a boy just starting to read chapter books. Based on Greek mythology, this adventure is engaging without being frightening.
Gary
A fun version of Odysseus as a young man suggesting how he comes about finding himself as a hero. Well written and easy to read.
Lea
Nice little twist on the traditional legend of Odysseus and the labyrinth that held the minotaur in Ancient Greek myth.
Roshni
Good enough mythology-twist for children, but the plot is not high-level enough for it truly to be considered "good"
Anne
May 20, 2013 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: school
Kid Odysseus gets into some very Greek adventures. A fun read aloud for a study of the ancients.
Kathy
Fast paced adventure story with near-deaths and terrifying bad "guys."
Hadley
It was amazing! I loved the adventure in the book and it was interesting!
The Cheap Reader
Nothing wrong with the story. It just wasn't very filling.
Jessica B
I remember reading this book years ago and LOVING it!
Shannon
My 11-year-old daughter thought this was boring.
Remi
really good book, is adventure
Anne
Anne added it
Aug 01, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
  • The Fire of Ares (Spartan Warrior, #1)
  • Snakehead
  • Walking With The Dead
  • Dusssie
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • Waiting for Odysseus
  • Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)
  • The Iliad and the Odyssey
  • Black Ships Before Troy
  • Eric Liddell: Something Greater Than Gold
  • Lost in the Labyrinth
  • The Land of the Dead (Tales from the Odyssey, #2)
  • The Shadow Thieves (Cronus Chronicles, #1)
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...

Young Heroes (4 books)
  • Hippolyta and the Curse of the Amazons (Young Heroes, #2)
  • Atalanta and the Arcadian Beast (Young Heroes, #3)
  • Jason and the Gorgon's Blood (Young Heroes, #4)
The Devil's Arithmetic  Owl Moon How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Briar Rose Dragon's Blood