Start by marking “The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Twilight Streets (Torchwood, #6)

The Twilight Streets (Torchwood #6)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  845 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Featuring Captain Jack Harkness as played by John Barrowman, with Gwen Cooper, Owen Harper, Toshiko Sato and Ianto Jones as played by Eve Myles, Burn Gorman, Naoki Mori and Gareth David-Lloyd, in the hit series created by Russell T Davies for BBC Television.
Published March 27th 2008 by BBC Books

To ask other readers questions about The Twilight Streets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twilight Streets

The Twilight Streets by Gary RussellPack Animals by Peter AnghelidesSomething in the Water by Trevor BaxendaleAlmost Perfect by James GossTorchwood by David Llewellyn
Best Torchwood Books
1st out of 35 books — 28 voters
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisPretty Little Liars by Sara ShepardA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Awakening / The Struggle by L.J. SmithThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert Kirkman
Books That Are Also TV Shows
73rd out of 277 books — 130 voters

More lists with this book...

⊱ Irena ⊰
3.5
Hard to rate. There are moments that made me want to scream, but since this is basically an all Jack story, I think it deserves a higher rating from me.
For those who have watched Torchwood, they know Billis Manger very well. It is one of the most enigmatic enemies they have.

The whole story revolves around a part of Cardiff that nobody can do anything about. Every time someone tries to do something about it, nothing happens. Every time people try to live there, something drives them away. It
Iamshadow
Nov 25, 2008 Iamshadow rated it did not like it
Absolute rubbish. The characters managed to be both flat and unrecognisable, while the author got carried away with a fanciful and ridiculous plot that frequently confused and annoyed me. Don't waste your time. There are fan fiction authors out there writing far, far better stories. Get on live journal and read dsudis' Get Loved, Make More, Try To Stay Alive, demotu's A Matter of Time, sam_storyteller's The Doctor and Mr Jones or The Theory of Two Centres, or d8rkmessngr's The Oncoming Storm ins ...more
Wayland Smith
Oct 01, 2014 Wayland Smith rated it really liked it
This is the sixth of the novels based on Torchwood, a dark spin off from Doctor Who. Personally, I'm a big fan of the show, which is why I was interested in the novels in the first place. I've found them to be uneven, but this is one of the better ones.

Among the elements at play here are serveral characters from both the Dr. Who and Torchwood series returning, a section of town that Torchwood leader Jack Harkness can't enter and the mystery behind it, and a very dark future version of what could
Jim C
Sep 17, 2014 Jim C rated it liked it
A media tie-in book set that takes place during the second season of Torchwood. In this novel there is a section of Cardiff that Captain Jack cannot enter. This section is now being renovated and head of this renovation is an old enemy.

This book frustrated me. At times I loved it as it brought me back to me watching the television show but at times it was confusing and convoluted. The author knew its material as he touched upon character's relationships. Fans of Ianto will enjoy this book as he
Evamaria
May 04, 2009 Evamaria rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
A friend gave me this and I read it in one day. I must say I was surprised how good it was - not brilliant (TV tie-ins rarely are), but it reads like an episode, and all characters get their moments (epecially Ianto, which makes me happy). Plus there's lots of continuity, making it really feel like part of the Torchwood universe.
Kiri
Oct 09, 2008 Kiri rated it did not like it
Not impressed. I've enjoyed the Doctor Who novels more than this, my first Torchwood novel. The quality of the writing leaves a lot to be desired - not very sophisticated. Much like a Doctor Who novel with a lot of references to sex added.
Susanne
Nov 18, 2008 Susanne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Torchwood Fans
Shelves: torchwood
I agree with what many others have said - great book! I read it in one sitting (which I hadn't planned on but I couldn't put it down).
I especially like how this book embraces the relationship between Jack and Ianto.
Juli
Apr 20, 2009 Juli rated it liked it
lightweight but fun
Craig
Oct 27, 2012 Craig rated it really liked it
The sixth book in the series based on "Torchwood", only the second that I've liked enough to give 4 stars to. As with the other books, there is a lack of character development, but I can understand that when the books were written while the show was on.

I particularly liked that this had a stronger connection to the series than the other books by bringing Bilis Mager in is as the ...well, not so much of a bad guy as he was on the show. Bilis Mager was in the end of series one two-part story. He h
Liv Heller
Dec 02, 2011 Liv Heller rated it it was ok
Books that are based on popular shows/films or games are always hard to review without comparing them to their source material, and I'm not sure they should be. The whole point of doing a spin-off book is to try and come as close to the feel of the original as possible while still providing an entertaining and unique story.

That being said, Twilight Streets was entertaining enough but fell short of being a great Torchwood novel simply because it didn't manage to capture the feel of the original c
Jacey
Mar 11, 2012 Jacey rated it liked it
Ah, I should have known better. I am invariably disappointed by TV and movie tie ins because I expect and hope for something which adds depth to the on-screen story. Of course, invariably the very nature of what they are means that there's little change in the characters at the end, regardless of what's happened. Press reset to exit book.

But I keep hoping that I'll find something great – like Karen Traviss' Republic Commando Star Wars books – and I remind myself that I've yet to read Una McCorma
Jules Jones
Sixth of the Torchwood tie-in novels, set late in second season and with a lot of canon references. And my most favourite of all the canon references is the return of Idris Hopper, the Mayor's secretary from the Doctor Who episode Boom Town. :-)[return][return]There is a small block of streets in Cardiff, built by a Victorian businessman as model housing for his workforce. And never occupied for more than a few weeks at a time. Things happen to the people who try to live in Tretarri. Jack doesn' ...more
Melyssa
Jul 20, 2013 Melyssa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vo, torchwood
"Yeah, we got the point. You want the little Light guys. We don't want you to have the little Light Guys. Eternal war, across the dimentions, yadda yadda yadda. Tough".

Ce livre contient un certain nombre d'échanges entre les membres de l'équipe qui ne veulent rigoureusement rien dire mais qui sont absolument hilarants. J'aurai volontiers donné mon goûter pour qu'on y ait droit à l'écran.

Et ce commentaire pourrait tout à fait s'appliquer à tout le livre en fait - on a l'impression non pas simplem
Joan
Jul 03, 2008 Joan rated it really liked it
Shelley
Mar 03, 2008 Shelley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Torchwood fans
Shelves: sci-fi, whoniverse
Wow. It actually stayed as awesome as it started! I'm stunned. Plus! There was a plot that stood its ground, and *continuity*!! Bilis, Idris from Boomtown - I think this author actually did research! The characters were recognizable, there was wonderful use of Torchwood history and fantastic banter. Gwen/Ianto, Gwen/Ianto/Jack, Jack/Ianto, Jack/Idris, Tosh/Owen, Jack/past Torchwood members...they all had their delightful and in character moments in the sun. Even Ianto and Owen had some good scen ...more
Michelle
Mar 30, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok
I don't typically read novels based on/in a TV/Movie universe because rarely do they live up to what's been seen onscreen. However I've been craving more from the Torchwood Universe, so I picked this book up. Sadly, it was a complete disaster.

The setting is somewhere after season 1, and there are a lot of callbacks to the TV show, which was nice. However that didn't make up for the overall awfulness.

While it was nice to have these characters back for more adventures, the book was very poorly wr
Iain
May 18, 2014 Iain rated it liked it
This was a solid outing for the Torchwood gang, the best I've read to date. Unlike most Torchwood/Doctor Who fiction this book managed to engage the reader through to the end. The characters, particularly Jack, were well realized and the villain interesting. The "episode's aliens" weren't particularly new/interesting but they served their purpose.

All-in-all a fun, light read.
Yvonne
May 10, 2014 Yvonne rated it it was ok
These Torchwood books I have just read lately are alright for a quick easy read in order to while away a few hours but they are nothing amazing. Torchwood is supposed to be sort of like Dr Who for grown-ups yet these books read as though they are aimed at teenagers. So anything that might be considered "too adult" seems watered down.
Kathy
Jul 25, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
Karen
Sep 18, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: gladiators_varro
It has been a while since the TV show so it was nice to "see" the characters again, and I did quite like the storyline and the twists and turns to it. Also good to see some development of Ianto.
Really a book that would only suit fans of the series wanting to enjoy a new storyline.
Diana
Apr 28, 2015 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: own-a-copy
If you haven't seen the first series, then you won't understand much of this book.
But if you have and if you like Torchwood, I think this book is a must.
Bilis Manager is back but this time he is not the enemy. Jack can't get into the street called Tretarri without feeling sick and what is going to happen in the future to make Bilis seek revenge?
This book is amazing. It is exciting and if you are a sucker for Janto just like me you will love this. There's a little more of Jack and Ianto's relatio
Firefly_1824
Jan 27, 2016 Firefly_1824 rated it it was ok
Not the greatest book, the plot was somewhat weak due to the overpowered villain and too much vagueness. Most of the characters were shallow, even though there's plenty of previous material to work with.
Lamadia
Mar 15, 2014 Lamadia rated it really liked it
Another good one from the Torchwood series. It's a fast and interesting read. I loved the use of the possible terrible future scenes that added depth to the characters, especially that of Ianto.
Katharine (Ventureadlaxre)
Apr 18, 2008 Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Ianto/Jack shippers
Shelves: fandom, read-2008
The Twilight Streets is a BBC Books original novel written by Gary Russell and based on the British science fiction television, Doctor Who spin-off series Torchwood. It features all the regular cast of the show.

A newly renovated district of Cardiff has opened with street parties and entertainers out in force to advertise the new area. All seems well until Toshiko recognises the sponsor of the event: Bilis Manger...

I was very happy with how much Ianto/Jack was in this book <3 Creepy old Bilis
Travis
Dec 16, 2008 Travis rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Lots of interesting ideas that don't quite work as a whole. Some great character moments and everybody gets to do something. I liked the bits looking at Torchwood's past.

The big timey-whimey plot twist didn't do much for me and I was hopping that there would be more of the team having to function without Jack and stand on their own.

Bilis is an interesting nemesis for Torchwood, but they never really explain him, so it was hard to get a handle on him.

Am I the only one that finds the 'Tosh has a
Kristina
Jan 17, 2016 Kristina rated it really liked it
Shelves: torchwood
This book sees the return and development of the character Bilis Manger. I enjoyed the complexity of the good/evil conundrum. The characters of Tosh and Ianto take centre stage for this battle.
Nicholas Whyte
Jan 09, 2012 Nicholas Whyte rated it liked it

Really a rather good Torchwood novel, taking Bilis Manger from the end of the first season and Idris from the Who episode Boom Town, and also an alternate timeline which foreshadows a lot of future developments (blowing up the Hub, leaving Gwen, Rhys and their baby as the sole survivors of Torchwood). To a large extent it's a sequel to the episode End of Days, but much better. Lots of good character moments and exploration of what it means to be inside the
Shannon
Sep 17, 2015 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tv, science-fiction
A fast read, but disappointing. I did enjoy some of the interactions between the main Torchwood team, but that wasn't really enough to hold up the rest of the book.
Matthew Vandrew
Nov 19, 2014 Matthew Vandrew rated it liked it

A follow-up to an episode with a twist. Nice reading but I didn't care about it much. The alternative future Torchwood was creepy though.

Barbara Huskey
Mar 15, 2015 Barbara Huskey rated it really liked it
Very compelling. To me it's like reading episode of a TV series I truly miss. Oh and a Michael Jackson's "Thriller" reference to boot :)
  • Torchwood: Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Something in the Water (Torchwood, #4)
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • The House That Jack Built (Torchwood, #12)
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)
  • Border Princes (Torchwood, #2)
  • Consequences (Torchwood, #15)
  • Torchwood: The Sin Eaters
  • Torchwood: In the Shadows
  • Torchwood: Hidden
  • Doctor Who: Sting of the Zygons
  • Doctor Who: The Stealers of Dreams
  • Doctor Who: The Pirate Loop
Gary Russell is one of the script editing team for Doctor Who, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures, and the author of many novels and reference books in the Doctor Who range. A former editor of Doctor Who Magazine, he also was the producer of Doctor Who audio dramas for Big Finish Productions for eight years. He was also an actor and is best known for his role as Dick in the 1978 television se ...more
More about Gary Russell...

Torchwood (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Another Life (Torchwood, #1)
  • Border Princes (Torchwood, #2)
  • Slow Decay (Torchwood, #3)
  • Something in the Water (Torchwood, #4)
  • Torchwood: Trace Memory (Torchwood, #5)
  • Pack Animals (Torchwood, #7)
  • Skypoint (Torchwood, #8)
  • Almost Perfect (Torchwood, #9)
  • Into The Silence (Torchwood, #10)
  • Bay of the Dead (Torchwood, #11)

“Oh come on, smile. Lisa, Jack... being bisexual is hardly a crime. Best of both worlds, isn't it?'
And Ianto pushed her away. 'No,Gwen. No, really it's bloody not. It's the worst of any world because you don't really belong anywhere, because you are never sure of yourself ot those around you. You can't trust in anyone, their motives or their intentions. And because of that, you have, in a world that likes its shiny labels, no true identity.”
7 likes
“Love. Passion. Belief. Duty. The lines blur sometomes. There are ove fifteen recognised mjor religions on this planet. One religion believes something different from another, and yet so often it's just the same thing with a different name, or a different form of worship, or a different headdress. But they will fight to protect what they believe in, no matter the cost. You've been here a while Jack. How many wars, how many lives squandered on religion. Then we get to science. Science versus creationism for instance. Two opposing stances on the same subject, neither of which has evidence to back it up” 0 likes