Start by marking “I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!” as Want to Read:
I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!

I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  273 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The ultimate meditation book, not to be grandiose...

Take a hilarious, healing journey with Stuart Smalley as he careens down the road to Recovery.For one entire year Stuart recorded an affirmation a day...except when he had taken to his bed (but that's Okay)...and the result is the most entertaining and indispensable meditation book ever.

From program wisdom (Denial Ain't J
Published October 1st 1992 by Dell

Be the first to ask a question about I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, & Doggone It, People Like Me!

Godless by Ann CoulterGuilty by Ann CoulterDianetics by L. Ron HubbardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerIf Democrats Had Any Brains, They'd Be Republicans by Ann Coulter
1001 Books I'd Rather Die than Read
56th out of 439 books — 757 voters
Bossypants by Tina FeyLive from New York by Tom ShalesYes Please by Amy PoehlerShopgirl by Steve MartinThirty-Nine Years of Short-Term Memory Loss by Tom Davis
Saturday Night Live
28th out of 88 books — 55 voters

More lists with this book...

DavidO
I really liked this book, and I'll try to explain why. When I started reading it, I expected it to be just endless jokes. But it really wasn't. In fact there are only about two or three real jokes in here. What it actually is is Stuart Smalley writing a years worth of daily affirmations. Unfortunately he isn't very good at writing and it quickly devolves into a diary. Strangely, though, the diary is fascinating. His family, his editor, his friends are all so real, that it feels like a real diary ...more
Bryan
Mar 03, 2008 Bryan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Al Franken does it again. Here, Franken revises his role as Stuart Smalley, the self-help guru from his SNL days. Stuart Smalley documents each day as he tries to beat his insecurities, his inner demons, and his abusive relationships. His musings would appear moronic to any actual therapist, but are so funny that they will make you forget your own insecurities and inner demons, or at least deem them as not nearly as bad as they once were.
Mary
This book gives me even more reason to love my new senator. It's funny, of course, but also touching. I think this and the movie work much better than the sketch on SNL. You laugh at Stuart, but also see yourself in him.
Cindy
This book made me laugh so hard so many times.

It's a touching journal of sorts of a year in the life of Stuart Smalley, Al Franken's well-meaning but unfortunate character from Saturday Night Live. Poor Stuart, lucky us.
Alex
Hilarious short book. It makes fun of all of those meditation books. I have it as an audiobook which just adds a whole new layer of comedy. Wonderful!
Kaethe
I wasn't actually a fan of Franken's character on SNL, but I find his writing amusing. This is a little too much in character, it got old quick.
Paula
Eh, it was okay. I really liked this SNL sketch, so I guess my expectations were higher. Not as funny as I thought it would be yet, oddly enough, it made me feel much, much better about myself which, if you think about it, is supposed to be the purpose of a "real" self-help book. And, surprisingly, the ending was sort of happy after all. Probably not one I'll read again (it felt like it dragged on and on at times), but it's not the worst thing I've ever read.
Joanne
Purchased at Boder's off the sale rack for $1.99. Looked interesting & enlightening.

Sometimes Stuart’s “stinking thinking”, dysfunctional life, and multiple 12 step program got to me. Although I do think his year ended on an upbeat note! There were some funny parts and mottos that Stuart coined, but overall I had to push myself to finish the book. Wirtten in a daily diary format, it is easy to read a few pages when you have a short timeframe.

Jonah
One of my students gave this to me to read right after we got done reading both The Alchemist and Tuesdays with Morrie as a class, so this parody of self-help books was especially entertaining! Although it is technically a "daily affirmation" book, the narrator (Stuart Smalley) goes into so much detail that it kind of ends up telling a complete story and therefore reads like a novel. Good, mindless reading that got many a laugh out of me!
Ellen
This book is very similar to the movie "Stuart saves his Family". I saw the movie a long time ago. In a way, the movie was better.
You can't help but feel sorry for Stuart. He has to overcome so much when dealing with his dysfunctional family. Fortunately, he does have quite of bit of success for having low self esteem that does help even things out for him. A funny read for anyone who ever had to deal with any family issues.
Loved this: “…I have to remember that I am a valuable employee! I should be, I’m a codependent! I think I’ll put that on my resume. ‘Codependent – 1951 to present.’ Will work too hard, be over responsible, and you can pay me nothing. I’ll resent you for it. But that’s okay. I’ll be too scared to say anything.”
jacky
I was just waking up and suddenly remembered reading this book like ten years ago. I remember it was written like a journal and was kind of funny. The story was based on the SNL character. It is possible that some of the humor went over my head.
Leslie
Aug 10, 2007 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 12-steppers
Shelves: humor, self-help
I always loved this character on SNL. I love how Stuart constantly repeats little phrases that you hear in AA and other 12-step programs. They sound so corny, and Stuart is so sincere when he says them. I laughed very hard several times.
Amber
May 04, 2007 Amber rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2007
I have seen the movie but hadn't read the book. It was cute, a little over the top (of course) but funny. Also sad. It may or may not have affected my speech patterns for a few days, but that's ok, because I own it.
Nancy
A friend and I were joking about Stuart Smalley's Daily Affirmations, so it occurred to me to look for this on audible. I enjoyed it, but then I've always enjoyed every single thing Al Franken has ever done.
Heidi Larew
This book did not require me to think at all. It was the perfect treat for this time in my life. Not for everybody, but there were parts of it that caught me off guard and really made me laugh.
Gillian
I loved this book. It was sweet and smart and made me laugh so much. It's even a great self-help book. Daily Affirmation: Next time I visit my family I will rent a car! A true learning tool.
Lynda
Really hilarious. When I read this, I was heavily involved in the recovery movement. I did and still do daily readings. This book poked fun at all that without being mean or degrading.
Marla
Love it! I loved Stuart Smalley on Saturday Night Live. I've read it a few times and I think it's time to read it once more.
Linds
Feb 13, 2010 Linds rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stuart Smalley fans
This book is funny but then it tries to be a serious book about alcoholism. It's a weird mix, but funny. Mostly. Sometimes.
Rivkah
I read this because my sister bought it for me for $2 on clearance. It is rather entertaining...a great bathroom read.
Carol
Mar 09, 2008 Carol rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Al Franken cracks me up. A self-help book by the one character who should not be trying to help anybody!
Ann Brooks
Gifted to me way back when by my now Republican-but-coming-back-somewhat-to-the-center brother.
Pat
Nov 05, 2008 Pat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Stuart Smalley has the answers to life--if you're willing to laugh and change the way you see it.
Jessica
If you're a fan of Stuart Smalley then you will enjoy this book.
Jeremy
a really great self help book that starts out as a joke.
Wolfrom
So fantastic! Stuart is my hero...
Jim Bosworth
Funny and useful too.
Justlis
Hysterical. easy to read.
  • If You Leave Me, Can I Come Too?
  • How to Talk Minnesotan: A Visitor's Guide
  • The Heart Can Be Filled Anywhere on Earth
  • Nigella Lawson: A Biography
  • Contents Under Pressure: 30 Years of Rush at Home and Away
  • Grumpy Old Rockstar and Other Wonderous Stories
  • The Arabs: Journeys Beyond the Mirage
  • Will They Ever Trust Us Again?
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Guide to Life
  • Stone Alone: The Story of a Rock 'n' Roll Band
  • Weird Al: The Book
  • Happy Chaos
  • The Bust Guide to the New Girl Order
Alan Stuart "Al" Franken is an Emmy Award–winning American comedian, writer, progressive political commentator, and, recently, politician. He gained fame as a writer and a performer for Saturday Night Live, eventually writing and appearing in several films. Since then, Franken has become more known for his political commentary, writing numerous bestselling books and hosting a nationally-syndicated ...more
More about Al Franken...
Lies & the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair & Balanced Look at the Right The Truth with Jokes Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot Why Not Me? Oh, the Things I Know!

“I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog gone it people like me.” 1 likes