Start by marking “"A" Is for Apron: 25 Fresh & Flirty Designs” as Want to Read:
"A" Is for Apron: 25 Fresh & Flirty Designs

"A" Is for Apron: 25 Fresh & Flirty Designs

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  203 ratings  ·  45 reviews
A is for adorable and amazingly irresistible and incredibly attractive: who would have imagined that the apron, that charming and nostalgic symbol of domesticity, would become today’s must-have home accessory? But it most certainly is, as stitchers and crafters flock to these creative canvases as the perfect vehicle for showcasing fabulous fabric, simple embellishments, an ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by Lark Books

To ask other readers questions about "A" Is for Apron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "A" Is for Apron

Dree
Check the errata on Lark's website before making anything!

7/5/2010--3 stars for now--I love a lot of the designs. I have fabric ready to make 3 of these. Then I'll reevaluate my rating!

7/6/2010--upped it to a 4. I made the "Spotless" apron. 1 minor flaw in pattern--the schematic says to cut them horizontally, but the text (and pics) say vertically. I fussy-cut so stuck with horizontal. Made it in an afternoon, complete with mitered corners and 4 kids charging around the house. Pic here:
Jennie
Jul 07, 2008 Jennie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adrienne, Rebecca
Shelves: craft-books
Love love love this book. I have a bit of an obsession with aprons and there are so many fun patterns in this book.

I'm editing my review a bit - although there are fun patterns in this book, the directions are terrible. If you don't know how to sew and cannot visualize how things should be, this will be a very frustrating book.

You also have to go make copies of the patterns at Kinkos - which can be expensive if you want to make several of them.
Carrie
I was torn between giving this book two and three stars. The aprons are cute, the ideas fantastic, the instructions for how to execute are crap. I have made two aprons so far, and one of them was definitely a success in spite of, rather than because of, the instructions. If I had followed the instructions, I would have ended up with an apron that was inside out and backwards, which at the very least is a waste of the cute fabric I had picked out. I am a novice sewer, and the instructions are cle ...more
Lindsey Jane
I love aprons! I wholeheartedly agree that aprons need to be daily wear. This is a collaborative project book. I loved the anatomy of an apron and different styles, I wish that part was longer. I loved the history of the apron, I wish that part was longer. There are pages of vintage aprons that I absolutely want to replicate, but there are no instructions to that end. (I can figure it out because I have plenty of sewing and pattern making experience.) I want to make several of the projects. Most ...more
Dayna
These aprons are so beautiful! The book probably deserves five stars, but I haven't tried any of the patterns so I can't say if they're all that "amazing." In fact, as stated somewhere in the beginning, this book is not for beginners. The author assumes that you already know how to sew, which I don't. But it definitely makes me want to learn! The photos of vintage aprons are especially inspiring! Info, such as a website, is listed for most of the designers. I suppose that's for people like me .. ...more
Katharine Wright
Didn't appreciate having to enlarge each piece a different size, some cute ideas but fairly simple, instructions not for the timid or novice, overall not bad for inspiration. Beats wiping my hands on my skirt or desperately trying to find a clean cloth in the kitchen.
Cheri
my oblique notes from wayback

yoke waistband 10

73 - mod width!

91 basic bib

bookmarks in p 52
Mary
Super cute designs -- and a great idea about recycling an old skirt into a new apron. The history of aprons was very short but quite interesting.
Some of the reviews indicate the instructions are not all they should be. I didn't notice problems in reading them, but will have to make an apron from the directions (which I never follow anyway, so that could be a challenge) and reconsider my rating after that.
Marjanne
Oh my cuteness! I have been making aprons for gifts and this has some amazing aprons. I haven't made any yet from this book, but it's going to be hard to choose. Most of the aprons don't seem overly complicated, but a good way to learn some sewing techniques (if you're a sewing amateur like me). These patterns definitely take the apron out of the kitchen and make it a fashion statement.
C
Jul 07, 2009 C rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: reference
Some really cute apron designs with lots of great photos in a clear format. V. cool. Also had the templates included to make one just like the book.

I didn't get to make an apron before I had to return it to the library so I can't comment on the directions, but I think I'll be ordering this one from the bookshop.
Jen
Jul 31, 2008 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who may be bored with simple sewing projects
This craft book has a nice scope, from photos of cute vintage aprons and a discussion about them, to a large variety of styles to sew. The designs were made by a wide range of designers, which give this book more creative diversity than most. Viewing the samples of so many crafty sewers is inspiring in itself.
Emily
Great idea. Not the most user friendly sewing book I've seen, but I have high expectations. I'd like to see more illustrations of the individual steps and more description of each pattern. But there are some fun designs in here. My favorite is the Provence Smock on page 77 that cris-crosses in back.
Melissa
Jul 28, 2008 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Phou
Shelves: crafty-goodness
Even though I could barely keep my eyes open last night, I still couldn't put this down. The photos are delicious. I must make each and every apron in this book - and because there is a pattern for each and evey apron - I can! Do not be surprised to see me in aprons every day!
Angie
There are lots of fun pictures in this book and easy to follow directions. The only thing I don't like is having to go to the copiers to get the pieces enlarged. I've already made one apron from this book and am looking forward to making a few more. Glad I bought this one.
Jeanne
Cool designs. Just hope you can do some math or have a copy place nearby that can do enlargements. If you're looking for ideas, this shows you a lot of vintage aprons, as well as some more current looks. The hardest part is trying to find the fabric you want!
Vivian
These aprons are all very cute. It's easy to look feminine and domestic while wearing jeans and a t-shirt--just accessorize with an apron! This book includes 25 patterns--a steal when pattern prices average between $5 and $8 each.
Arlian
While I think some of the fabric choices of the various designers in this book were rather tacky, the projects themselves were solid. A great book to keep on yourself to churn out nice, thoughtful, one of a kind gifts for friends.
Megan
Sep 06, 2008 Megan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Meh. The aprons are cute, but it seems they're more based on the fabric and not the pattern. What if I can't find that fabric? I'm actually going to return it, even though there are a couple of aprons I really like.
Jennifer Shaw
I really like this book. There are some really adorable apron designs in here. There are at least four designs that I would love to make. The photos are beautiful and the directions seem straightforward.
MaryAnn McK
what a fun book with so many great apron patterns & ideas. this came in handy as i have been thinking about making those hostess type aprons for some time. can't wait to try making one!
Sally
Holy Cow, these are cute! I just might have to make me one. For the kitchen. And one for reading books. And one for bathing the kid. And one for... gardening? Perhaps one for.....
Melanie
I love sewing and one of my new fascinations is aprons. This book has so many fun, simple aprons to make! Don't be surprised if you get one in the mail!
Heather
Excellent variety of aprons by many different creators. Designs from super simple to waay past my sewing skills. Also, a cute embroidered one.
I would give it a five, but the patterns need to be reproduced and enlarged a TON, which is quite frustrating and can get expensive.
Christina
This book is so fun. I bought it for my craft and sewing reference library. Now if only I could find some time to make some cute aprons.
Lisa
This book is a cute one. Tons of cute apron patterns. A good reference book to own if you're interested in having an apron arsenal.
Elise Noorda
Cute pictures - nothing to get too excited about though. Glad I got it from the library and didn't buy it.
Beth
Dec 11, 2008 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: crafty
Looking forward to making a smock or apron for my daughter using the pattern in this book! Fun and inspiring.
Lauren
Carnival
The Waldorf
Amoeba
Allison
I haven't made any aprons yet, but just flipping through it was fun so far. Colorful & inspirational.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics
  • Sew Darn Cute: 30 Sweet & Simple Projects to Sew & Embellish
  • Seams to Me: 24 New Reasons to Love Sewing
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear
  • Amy Butler's Style Stitches: 12 Easy Ways to 26 Wonderful Bags
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Sew & Stow: 31 Fun Sewing Projects to Carry, Hold, and Organize Your Stuff, Your Home, and Yourself!
  • I Love Patchwork
  • Sublime Stitching: Hundreds of Hip Embroidery Patterns and How-To
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
500 Felt Objects: Creative Explorations of a Remarkable Material Craft Challenge: Dozens of Ways to Repurpose Scarves Craft Challenge: Dozens of Ways to Repurpose a Tea Towel Knit & Wrap: 25 Capelets, Cowls & Collars A Bounty of Bead & Wire Earrings: 50 Fun, Fast Jewelry Projects