Start by marking “Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot” as Want to Read:
Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot

Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  6,977 Ratings  ·  223 Reviews
Rush Limbaugh claims his talent is on loan. With this book, Franken demonstrates that he owns. The frankly Democratic author's shtick reminds us how much of a free ride conservatives have gotten in the mainstream media. For instance, he really drives home the weirdness of the conservatives' preachiness about "family values" in light of Newt Gingrich's and Bob Dole's first ...more
313 pages
Published 2004 by Penguin (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot

Twilight by Stephenie MeyerBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James
The Worst Books of All Time
230th out of 6,372 books — 17,417 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerFirst Step 2 Forever by Justin BieberConfessions of a Guidette by Nicole "Snooki" PolizziGoing Rogue by Sarah PalinBirth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also R... by Eliyzabeth Yanne Strong-And...
Dealbreakers: If You Like This Book, We Won't Get Along
167th out of 1,620 books — 5,394 voters

More lists with this book...

Apr 09, 2009 Katie rated it really liked it
I think that this was Al Franken's first political book, written before he turned into a politician himself. I remember reading it at the gym,on the stair machine and laughing so hard that I almost fell off ... How tragic is it that 14 years after this book was published Rush Limbaugh is still being a big fat idiot, and people still actually listen to him.
Paul Dinger
Jan 09, 2009 Paul Dinger rated it it was amazing
Don't let the title fool you, this book is very short on personal insults. Rather, Franken the commedian introduces us to Al Franken the logician who demolishes all of Rush Limbaugh's prize arguments by going after his...math? By the time Franken is done, Limbaugh doesn't have a leg to stand on. Quite frankly, it is this part of Franken that is on display and makes reading this book quite a revealation. I was so rapped up in it's arguments and logic that I coudn't put it down.
0.5 stars. This is the book that made me wish you could give the 0 star rating. The worst part of this experience is my personal commitment that once I open a book to read it, I will see it through to the end (no matter how INCREDIBLY, INCREDIBLY PAINFUL that experience might be).

Anyway, not much to say about the body of the book other than it is poorly written, disingenuous and....biggest crime of all...NOT FUNNY.
Aug 12, 2007 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: frustrated liberals aching for comic relief
I read it the *day* it came out in hardback, and just LOVED it. Franken is brilliant, and has a crack team of ivy-league researchers to do his bidding, which doesn't hurt.
Jan 23, 2010 Joe rated it it was ok
Very distorted material and never made me laugh once. Even if you like Franken and hate Rush you'd think it would be revolting to make fun in the title of a book of anyone being overweight. The funny part is Franken is now fatter than Rush. Do you think a book called "Al Frankem is a big Fat Idiot.' would sell?
Apr 30, 2008 Paul rated it did not like it
Truly dreadful. Full of lies and half-truths, this book has been thoroughly debunked.
Sep 25, 2011 Kiri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up the audio to this book. I am disgusted to say that it starts out NOT with Al Franken's work but some right-wing reviewer named Jean Kirkpatrick who goes on about her own credentials (geo-political etc) and "why oh why!! *sob cry moan*"

was she made to review this book instead of what was given to P.J. O'Rourke. My suggestion is that obviously she doesn't know anything at all (especially about political comedy - satirical or otherwise - or her professed area of expertise. WHICH IS the
Feb 28, 2009 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Franken fans, liberals
Of the three Al Franken books I've read, this one is my least favorite. It's also one of his earlier books, before Lies and The Truth, so maybe he just hadn't hit his stride yet, politcal satire-wise.

Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot and Other Observations has a great title, mostly because it's to TRUE. How it differs from his other books that I've read is that it is a series of independent essays compiled into a collection. And while I enjoy his sharp wit and scathing humor most of the time, som
Apr 01, 2009 Donna rated it liked it
Ironically, just as I was finishing Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot, I happened upon an essay by Limbaugh's niece, Julie Limbaugh, about the ups and downs of being second cousin to a man who makes a living by (in his own words) making half the people in America hate him. She calls her cousin's long-playing farce a "self-aware self-parody," a "caricature"--in other words, a phony act (which, not incidentally, has made him a millionaire many times over).

In this book, Al Franken, who has no fear
Nov 24, 2007 Johnsergeant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook, audiblecom
Downloaded from

Narrator: Al Franken
Length: 2 hours and 48 min. (abridged)

Grammy Award Winner, Best Spoken Word Comedy Album, 1996

Publisher's Summary
Fed up with the Republican Right? Then you'll love Al Franken's scathingly hilarious look at America's largest talk show host and his conservative cronies. Hear this Emmy-winning Saturday Night Live writer's thoughts on exploding Medicare costs ("Why not shoot the elderly into space?"), feminism ("Limbaugh was railing about how feminists
Nov 26, 2014 Travis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
Al Franken is sort of the anti-Ann Coulter. Only he does research and is actually funny.
Yes, his need to name drop can wear a bit thin, except it usually happens in a very funny story and gives you some insight into how out of whack some pundits and political types are.

And yes, he does take some easy potshots at Rush and company, but lets face it, most of those guys have said worse and they really do make it too easy.
Plus, Rush is pretty darn fat.

Love the bits featuring Al's assistant and Rush's
Jun 06, 2007 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I wasn't a huge Al Franken fan when this book first came out. I knew him from Saturday Night Live and I thought his Stuart Smalley stuff was worth a good chuckle. This book changed that for me. It revealed Franken's brilliance in all its glory. I am now a hardcore fan of his.
Jul 07, 2016 Flan rated it did not like it
He used to be a funny guy. Now one would only find it funny if you have an anger management problem and love the polemics of Karl Rove.
Aug 29, 2007 Josh rated it it was amazing
I grew up with this man’s lunatic ravings constantly blaring from the family radio. For any recovering conservative turned progressive, this is a laugh-out-loud-must-read.
Amy Wilder
Jan 19, 2010 Amy Wilder rated it liked it
Read this in college at a time when I was trying to stay friends with someone who was listening to Rush Limbaugh and talking to me about it. It was really hard to have a conversation like that. When I sampled his radio program to see what I could say in answer to it, I noticed that Limbaugh would state some pretty obscure facts and to refute his arguments you would have to chase around figuring out if he made it up or just took it out of context or if he had a point - which like anyone, he somet ...more
Matt Rainson
May 01, 2008 Matt Rainson rated it really liked it
Terrific book! All the information in is has been thoroughly fact-checked and confirmed by several sources. Among the interesting facts I learned about Rush:

- He received welfare for a large portion of his adult life.
- This "American patriot" got a 4F deferment from the Vietnam war because of hair on his ass.
- He didn't register to vote until he was 35.
- A champion of "family values" he has been married and divorced three times.

This book, sadly, came out before the Limbaugh drug scandals.

I'll en
Dec 25, 2014 Tlingit rated it it was ok
The book is a long running joke. I understand that. I just wonder if Al Franken was at first serious about proving how detrimental Limbaugh was to listen to but then got so disgusted with the people who listen to Rush who are too lazy to actually stop and think about and research Limbaugh's BS that he couldn't take the book seriously. I personally after reading the book was annoyed at the misfactoids that Rush spews out myself. Then again, am I just being force fed something without looking behi ...more
Apr 18, 2012 Lynne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I didn't know who Al Franken was when I first started reading this book. It might have dissuaded me from ever reading it! Franken's honest disdain for the ultra-right is refreshing, and just as timely now that the ultra-right is trampling all over women's rights as it was fifteen years ago when written. (Most of the liberal type jokes center around Clinton's presidency.) I very much enjoyed this one, and would recommend it to anyone who's disgusted with the far-right taking over and ...more
Neil Schleifer
Apr 27, 2013 Neil Schleifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, politics
As a dyed-in-the wool New York liberal, how could I NOT read this book and love it :-) Seriously, though, folks, Senator Franken is an astute observer of the hypocritical who maintains a terrific ability to make a valid point while couching it in humor. If O'Reilly or Limbaugh actually read that, no, I don't think he'd win over any converts, but I know he'd get Rush to laugh and get O'Reilly to at least chuckle until he started "spinning" like a top.
Sep 29, 2008 Kelli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who know more about the author and the subject of his ridicule
I started reading this book in April. Started reading it again in July. Then finally brought it back to the library, 3 months and $15 in library fines later. I really didn't think it was very funny. I picked it up because I thought I might learn something about Al Franken's political views, but I learned little except that he thinks Rush Limbaugh is the biggest piece of (insert your own noun here) in the country. Maybe Franken is meant to be a politician after all.
Jan 23, 2016 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since reading this book, Al Franken is my hero, at least as far as the political arena goes. He's very smart and gets to the heart of an issue while not being afraid to call a spade a spade. The book never failed to keep my interest, and that's an easy thing for a book to do (fail, that is). And best of all, he's a democrat.
I need to say that I hadn't been exposed that much to Rush Limbaugh. I've only read about him. So I know why Al Franken wrote the way he did in his book. I just failed to understand.

Lack of relevance.

So instead of taking this book as a witty (or even satire?) comeback, I could only see plain rudeness.
Oct 01, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Rush Limbaugh? Truly is a big fat idiot.

Although recently in I think a New York Times piece he did point out that Bill O'Reilly is actually Ted Baxter.

Not enough to make up for his big fat idiocy, but still.
Apr 24, 2008 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious! Franken can't help but be funny. The best part is that all he does it spit out facts. And I think that the fact that everything (which seems so ridiculous) is true, makes it even funnier. Oh and pay attention to the chapter numbers. They gradually get larger like Rush's ass.
Scott Okamoto
Jul 10, 2007 Scott Okamoto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fish in a barrell. A small barrell. So easy, it's almost not fun. But, it is deliciously fun to read about neocons and Limbaugh and how they lie and distort.
Dec 17, 2008 Drew rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and still remember how it had me rolling on the floor laughing my butt off! Al Franken is one sharp cookie!
Sep 28, 2008 Nirzwan rated it it was amazing
I already hated Rush, so why not add some humor and even more facts about his stupid hypocritical face
Apr 01, 2009 Sheffy rated it did not like it
literarily a piece of crap--but funny
Feb 06, 2008 Gennadyi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: politicos, lefties and self loathing righties
Shelves: funnies
a funny and factual comedown on the right by al franken. expect cheap shots and iron clad logic.
  • Shrub: The Short but Happy Political Life of George W. Bush
  • Get Your War on
  • F.U.B.A.R.: America's Right-Wing Nightmare
  • Nothing's Sacred
  • Blinded by the Right: The Conscience of an Ex-Conservative
Alan Stuart "Al" Franken is an Emmy Award–winning American comedian, writer, progressive political commentator, and, recently, politician. He gained fame as a writer and a performer for Saturday Night Live, eventually writing and appearing in several films. Since then, Franken has become more known for his political commentary, writing numerous bestselling books and hosting a nationally-syndicated ...more
More about Al Franken...

“So I've always been interested in politics. And I thank my parents for that. As you can see, there's a strong element of moral indignation behind this interest, and indignation is well and good in doses, but I noticed fairly early in life that some people live to find stuff to be indignant about. And it's pretty unattractive. That's why I decided to become a wiseass.” 0 likes