Start by marking “On Guerrilla Gardening: The Why, What, and How of Cultivating Neglected Public Space” as Want to Read:

When Richard Reynolds began planting flowers secretly at night outside his tower block in South London he had no idea he was part of a growing global movement committed to combating the forces of neglect, land shortage and apathy towards public spaces. But his blog GuerrillaGardening.org attracted other guerrillas from around the world to share their experiences of the

Published May 27th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA (first published May 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about On Guerrilla Gardening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Guerrilla Gardening

Aaron
Apr 15, 2009 Aaron rated it it was amazing
I really dug this book. I have been a guerrilla gardener off and on now for several years, mostly planting giant sunflowers. To clarify, a guerrilla gardener gardens on neglected public land without permission. Discovering this book was like finding the handbook, and network, I always wished I had. Richard Reynolds takes it farther than I had previously imagined, enlisting troops to go on large digs (roadside embankments, traffic circles, vacant lots, etc.) in an attempt to beautify the urban ...more
Pete Sharon
Jan 16, 2009 Pete Sharon rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was living with my first garden in London, and was totally smitten by the gardening bug. (This is easy to fall prey to, since the UK has a ferociously avid gardening culture that has no equivalent in the US. For example, the Chelsea garden show is covered on TV for three consecutive nights--in prime time!)
So now, I find myself slammed down in Slummerville, MA and completely surrounded by pavement, and this book is giving me ideas. Total punk rock approach to what has tradition
Linus
Aug 22, 2016 Linus rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Die praktischen Infos sind spannend und die über konkrete Projekte auch - aber die politischen Ansichten von Reynolds fand ich cringeworthy, in einem Kapitel wurden Zierblumen in Londoner Betontrögen tatsächlich verglichen mit Land, auf dem Menschen illegal Essen anbauen, um davon zu leben. Joa, vl mal den Begriff "guerilla" für Stadtverschönerung fallen lassen, statt so unnötige Verbindungen herzukonstruieren. An einer anderen Stelle freut er sich, dass ein Garten Sexarbeiter_innen und Leute ...more
Carlee
Dec 05, 2016 Carlee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: gardeners, people who are interested in community change
“On Guerrilla Gardening, A Handbook For Gardening Without Boundaries” is at it's core a gushing of enthusiasm for a very niche genre of greenthumbedness. Even the cover of my edition, full of blossoming flowers against a backdrop of drab gray buildings, suggests a sort of bursting emotion. (This book looks beautiful on a bookshelf or coffee table btw, I could almost recommend it because of that alone.)

Contrary to what the title implies, this book is by no means a how-to for illicit gardening. It
Erica
Jun 17, 2015 Erica rated it liked it
Shelves: gardening
A very basic introduction to guerrilla gardening. So basic, I'm not exactly sure what demographic would read and learn by it. Written largely from a British perspective, for British spaces (plant suggestions are somewhat limited for other climates).
It has an oddly formal layout, a weird medium for this particular political message. I get that it's essentially a "handbook"--this is borne out much better in the latter half of the book than the beginning (the first half is history/politics; the se
Harkinna
Jul 09, 2010 Harkinna rated it it was amazing

Ever heard of guerrilla gardening? People all over the world are taking over unused land and planting gardens! It is such a fun idea, especially if the land is lying fallow. And now there is a manual for people who want to try it: On Guerrilla Gardening. The small book includes the history of the movement and pictures of people out there doing it.

Did you know that Victory Gardens during World War II supplied 42 percent of all fresh food to the country? There seems to have been a recent resurgenc
Klara
Apr 27, 2016 Klara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Schon lange steht dieses Buch in meinem Bücherregal, aber bisher war einfach noch nicht der richtige Lesemoment gekommen. Nun bin ich durch und habe, ohne jegliche Gärntererfahrung (mein letzter Basilikumtopf lebt NOCH! aber das ist leider ein Einzelfall) das drigende Bedürfnis hinaus in die urbanen Landschaften meiner heimatlichen Kleinstadt zu ziehen und sämtliche vernachlässigten Flächen mit bunter Pflanzenvielfalt zu beglücken.

Dieses Buch bietet eine wunderschöne, liebevoll und anekdotenreic
Ava
Jun 15, 2008 Ava rated it it was amazing
On Guerrilla Gardening is a delightful little book! The author mixes history, politics, environmentalism and practical gardening into an enjoyable weekend read.
Guerrilla gardening can be a strong political statement about the waste of good land and the potential for abundance even when we’re faced with a “food crisis,” or it can just be something you do for fun.
My only concern is the “waging battle” metaphor that sprouts throughout the book; I wish even as we guerrilla garden, that we could mak
Alex M
Jul 31, 2016 Alex M rated it liked it
I found myself inspired while reading the book to get started with a few projects (that, so far, haven't panned out as well as I had hoped). But it's a learning process. It had some useful information and a good message and intention behind it. Unfortunately, the writing style was inelegant and Reynolds seemed to be really grasping for topics to flesh the book out, resulting in a lot of content of tenuous importance or even relevance. However it was short and sparse enough to keep it from being ...more
G
Sep 07, 2008 G rated it really liked it
This sounds like a really fantastic idea, although I probably ought to get my own garden under control before I start toying around in random places. I do, however, find myself picking out weedy, dead-looking spots that could use some sprucing up every time I'm out and about. This is a really comprehensive how-to guide and it's filled with stories and bits of dry humor, so it's not like reading an instruction manual at all.
Abby Hagler
May 21, 2011 Abby Hagler rated it really liked it
The guy who wrote this book is hilariously candid. I wonder if he took his notes from a blog and just made a book out of it. He has funny side notes, such as not making jokes about gorillas and guerillas. He also has a lot of helpful information about plants, about organizing yourself to become a guerilla gardener, and about re-envisioning space around us. There's an entire web site dedicated to stories of guerilla gardening.
AJ
Nov 19, 2014 AJ rated it really liked it
This is a pretty quick read, but it's got some great information about Guerrilla Gardening. The author is the founder of the website GuerrillaGardening.org and gives an overview of the history of guerrilla gardening, how-tos, etc. It's a pretty good read and has inspired me to think about places in the Boston area that I can beautify with plants.
Jack Ngan
Aug 11, 2010 Jack Ngan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in playing outdoors, naturality, beautifying and urban culture
Recommended to Jack by: My room mate
I enjoyed it a lot. It provides a new perspective to and appreciation for gardening by introducing it as an activity that's part of a community or culture rather than an independent project in your back yard (which is kick-ass too though). This book has definitely enriched my life by presenting me with a foreign pleasure I now enjoy.
Aaron
Aug 27, 2008 Aaron marked it as to-read
Really excited about this concept, especially in how it relates to other interventionist/subversive educational strategies (my own nascent terminology, I'm sure there is a better one out there) like culture jamming, graffiti and certain performative/conceptual art work. Really excited to read this and perhaps start some guerrilla gardening myself around the town!
LisaKaren
Jun 30, 2012 LisaKaren rated it really liked it
Shelves: garden-time

This was a lot of fun & surprisingly practical. Lots of great photos. There is plenty of advice about every aspect and complication of gardening without permission. Since I have already begun a bit of unauthorized planting it's cool to feel like part of something bigger. I especially liked the historical bits. (thanks for the gift Taylor)
William
Feb 06, 2009 William rated it it was amazing
An odd little book.

Guerrilla gardeners are people who garden, without permission, on property they do not own.

Includes anecdotes from many cities, but Milwaukee is not one of them.

It is not surprising to learn that some elected officials would rather have an ugly, neglected space than a space beautified by someone who is not under their thumb.

Jill
Aug 15, 2009 Jill rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. It was sort of a revolutionary's approach to gardening, about taking over public spaces, changing the world, and well, making things pretty. : ) I don't know that I'll become a guerrilla gardener, as I have a short enough attention span with the garden in my own back yard, but it was a fun read.
Alison Kagen
great subject & a good collection of information, hints & anecdotes; but strangely not compelling, probably due to writing style; if you're already sympathetic/interested/possibly semi-guerrilla already, the frameworks of reasons for g/gardening & what one might garden are helpful
Leah
Nov 05, 2010 Leah added it
This book was interesting. I enjoyed it. Not anything I would need to own. Pretty basic information on the how-to, but really informative on how to be a guerilla gardener politely and how to handle others.
Juliezs
Feb 25, 2009 Juliezs rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, read-in-2009
An interesting idea, hard for me to grasp as a rural-living person, but I could see how city-dwellers would be into reclaiming un-gardened space and making it their own. A bit too heavy handed on do this not that, call it this, not that.
Chelsea
Jan 27, 2009 Chelsea rated it liked it
Shelves: food
this doesn't feel like a book, its more like a website, where they only let the surface stories out. if you'd like to know a few things about the guerrilla gardening movement, i'd be happy to lend my copy, but don't buy it.
Soopaseb
May 19, 2010 Soopaseb rated it it was amazing
Heart-lifting reading that inspires more than one people to take part of this from the ground action ! :D
Darlene
Sep 09, 2010 Darlene rated it liked it
I've just started the book but it explains why I have suddenly seen a bunch of sunflowers around the lamp posts in my neighborhood and other places - good for them.
Shanna
Jun 24, 2008 Shanna rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shanna by: NYTimes
Shelves: enviro-nature
Pretty cover.
First half much better than the second half. Second half should have just read: "Put some seeds in the ground" or something of the sort.
Nothing really new, but fun.
Emily
Feb 10, 2009 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was an incredibly enjoyable and informative read about the world of guerrilla gardening. Hopefully I will still feel inspired by it come spring and do a little illicit gardening of my own.
Joshua Sierk
May 04, 2012 Joshua Sierk rated it it was amazing
INSPIRATIONAL!
always carry seeds with you.
grow the world. it's natural!
lovely photos in this book.

thanks to my sister&brother-in-law for the gift of the book
Ame
Mar 13, 2009 Ame rated it really liked it
I was surprised to see a stack of this title at the library! Brought back memories of my involvement in Gardeners Against the Work Ethic.
(GAWE). Excuse me, I must go plant things now.
Dan Kostenchuk
Dan Kostenchuk rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2013
christina
christina rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2009
  • 100 Suns
  • Dreamworld and Catastrophe: The Passing of Mass Utopia in East and West
  • Expanded Cinema
  • Guerrilla Gardening: A Manualfesto
  • Project Japan. Metabolism Talks...
  • Cindy Sherman: Retrospective
  • Land & Environmental Art
  • The Devil's Playground
  • Fug You: An Informal History of the Peace Eye Bookstore, the Fuck You Press, the Fugs & Counterculture in the Lower East Side
  • Endgame: The Betrayal And Fall Of Srebrenica, Europe's Worst Massacre Since World War II
  • A Crackup at the Race Riots
  • Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83
  • Strangeland
  • Garden Anywhere: How to grow gorgeous container gardens, herb gardens, kitchen gardens, and more, without spending a fortune
  • Edible Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn
  • The Heirloom Life Gardener: The Baker Creek Way of Growing Your Own Food Easily and Naturally
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More