Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot: Giant Robot

Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot: Giant Robot (Ricky Ricotta #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  639 ratings  ·  54 reviews
This is the story of Ricky Ricotta, a lonely little mouse who befriends a giant robot, takes on the school bullies, and saves the city from an evil rat scientist -- Dr. Stinky McNasty!
Published February 1st 2000 by Blue Sky Press (first published 2000)

Dolly
Aug 24, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
This is the first book in the Ricky Ricotta series by Dav Pilkey. I thought it was interesting that he did not illustrate these books himself, although the format of the tale is very similar to his Captain Underpants books, without the silliness and toilet humor.

I get the impression that this series was meant to appeal to younger readers, be more commercially acceptable, and avoid the Banned book lists. And thus, it lacks a lot of the charm of the Tra-la-la tales.

Still, it's an entertaining an...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Ds read aloud to me as his reader.

I used to be a snob about Dav Pilkey's books but I've gotten over that :-) My son loves anything by him. He used to take this series out of the library and *look* at it and now he can finally read it. And he read it very well, indeed. This is exactly his reading level. He needed help with about one word per every other page. The story is silly and fun but not babyish, making it very good for struggling older elementary kids. The Flip-o-rama p...more
Amy
Aug 08, 2013 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/3249583-amber
What a great book for young action/adventure aficionados! The story was exciting, action-packed, and most importantly for some parents, age appropriate for kindergarten to second or third grade aged kids. There is a message in this book, but it doesn't beat the reader over the head, and I didn't think it was overly syrupy, either.

There were some mild fisticuffs, which I didn't think were misplaced or over-the-top, but I do think this was a slightly discordant note in the book because the story...more
Libby Ames
Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot is one of the best easy readers I have encountered. It is a perfect transition to chapter books with large illustrations and never too many words on a page. However, it is formatted like a thick chapter book making early readers feel very successful as they whiz through the chapters. The story includes evil villains, mighty robots, but also shares valuable lessons about standing up to bullies. With simple writing, the level is good for young readers, but includes sub...more
Michael Koreis
This book is about a mouse named Ricky Ricotta and his best friend who is a robot originally designed to destroy their city. In this particular book, from the Mighty Robot series, Ricky is being bullied on the way to school, as well as at school. The robot ends up protecting Ricky and forever making the bullies leave him alone. The robot is also bullied by the evil scientist, Dr. Stinky, that created him and Ricky protects the robot from him. They lived happily ever after, until the next book th...more
Kathy
When my son, who just graduated kindergarten, got to the end of a chapter and I said, "Do you want to stop for the night or keep reading?" he shouted, "keep reading!" He was introduced to some great new vocab words yet I felt the author really tried hard to keep the reading level down for more of a beginning reader. We both loved the "flip-o-rama" sections of illustration where my son could also add in some fun sound effects. He loved being able to read on his own something with both adventure a...more
Maya
Bathroom humor, mutant alien battles and animated fight scenes...Pilkey is genius at knowing what appeals to 5-7 year old boys
Barbara
When Ricky Ricotta befriends a robot unleashed on the world by the evil Dr. Stinky, they form a lifelong bond. The robot no longer is interested in destruction except in the case of the jerks who try to pick on his little mouse friend. The illustrations and text contain good lessons about bullies and compassion. Readers will also enjoy the Flip-o-Rama pages as well as they flip quickly through pages and seem to actually be moving. Fans of Captain Underpants are likely to enjoy this title and thi...more
Sweet on Books
Dr. Stinky McNasty has created a robot to destroy Squeakyville. Meanwhile, down in Squeakyville, Ricky Ricotta is busy fending off bullies and loneliness. One day Ricky spies Dr. McNasty yelling at his robot to be more menacing and evil; little Ricky steps in to protect the giant robot and a friendship is born. The robot comes to live with Ricky and his parents and helps the Ricottas and the townspeople fight off an inordinate number of unfortunate events set in motion by Dr. McNasty, including...more
Daquan

Have you ever read the book called, Mighty Robot by Dav Pilkey?
This book is about a city but not a human city. A mouse city. There is a kid mouse who always gets bullied by other mouse kids. Also in this city there was an evil scientist who created a mighty robot to destroy the earth. The robot liked earth and didn’t want to destroy it. The mouse who was getting bullied stopped the evil scientist from destroying the robot and earth. From that day on, they became friends; the robot always prote...more
Catherine
I never write reviews, but will offer one here to help put this book in context for friends. The most important context is knowing that THIS book is the first book my son has picked up at home to read for his own pleasure. Therefore, David Pilkey has earned my never ending respect and admiration. Friends should also note that my Good Reads lists are now going to start taking an interesting turn as I begin to record Mason's reads here as we'll (should be an interesting experiment to watch what ha...more
Stephanie Kopec
This book has a great message! So many of my students love this book and I'm not surprised with all of the fun flip-o-rama action sequences. This is a great series for kids just getting into chapter books.
J
Aww, such a cute story about a rat and his robot, I really enjoyed it and can't wait for more.

Look I know its a kids book, but this is the genre I chose to write in, of course I'm going to read every children's book I can get my hands on! Anyways, Next book review is A Perfect Spy.
Amy
The new graghics and layout are nice!
Jacqueline Erickson
Another book by Dav Pilkey and the first in the Ricky Ricotta and the Giant Robot book series, this novel is again very entertaining. It is very similar to the other novels in the series where the two friends save the day. In this story, the mouse Ricky Ricotta meets the Giant Robot and they become best friends. The two save their town, Squeakyville, from the Giant Robot's creator, Dr. Stinky. It is a very silly story like Dav Pilkey's other novels, although may be very entertaining for children...more
Danielle
Thought I should read this one as my 5th/6th Read 180 kids were such fans (one of the books was in the Read 180 library). It was really interesting to see the level they're reading at, considering that I read the entire book in about 15 minutes and they can take days upon days to read it. Not sure I like how EVERY page is illustrated with what the words are saying, but, whatever. The kids like it and it meets them at their level.
Kim
May 01, 2009 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009, school
I appreciate that this book has many of the same gimmics as other Dav Pilkey classics (like the Captain Underpants series), like the Flip-o-rama, but I thought the storyline was weak and unbelievable. That being said, it will likely appeal to many kids who enjoy a quick read with cartoonish pictures. It could possibly be great for reluctant readers, it may not appeal to readers who enjoy a more developed story.
Kirby
My 5yo son picked this out at the library this summer and has not stopped talking about it since. I was hoping he would forget, but then if it creates excitement about reading, i'll give it a shot....so, 'Santa' brought him the first few and i've been pleasantly surprised! they are simple, yet witty and promising...starring Dr.Stinky McNasty as the antagonist! great name and such fun to say...
Taneysha forsyth
I LOVE THIS BOOK."THIS IS THE 90TH BOOK I LOVE THE MOST.THIS BOOK IS MAINLY ABOUT A ROBOT WHO TRIES TO SAVE THE WORLD AND PEOPLE.I THINK THIS WAS ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOK BUT I READ IT IN DETENTION ONE DAY AND I WAS READING AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH THE BOOK.THIS BOOK CAN BE FOUND IN MS.WOODARDS LIBARY GRAPHIC NOVELS.
Mrs Bond
Ricky the mouse is sad and lonely. His dad promises that one day something BIG will happen. That something is a giant robot that becomes his friend. My daughter thought the old show Johnny Sokko and His Flying Robot was based on this book; perhaps the author was inspired by the show when he was a toddler?
Lexi Tischman
I read the book Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot, by Dav Pilkey.

This book is good for any age anyone could read it or have it been read to. It is about a robot that always saves the day. Read this book and the series of these books because they are really good and they are very adventurous.
This was definitely the shortest book group book, dominated by lots of drawings and a very short story. When the adults mentioned this as something they'd like to change, the kids said it was a perfect fit. They loved it, but not much to discuss.

Dessert by host Nate was cookie cake.
Kirei
My son loved these four books. They are very similar to Captain Underpants, but easier to read. Just a sentence or two on each page. There are lots of drawings. Great for reluctant readers who like funny battle scenes.

He keeps wanting to read them again and again!
Stephanie
Ben read this series and LOVED it, so I thought I'd better at least read the first one and find out what they're about. It was not bad, not irreverent and inappropriate as I was expecting. I'm not motivated to read more of these, but it could have been a lot worse.
Farhana Faruq
May 26, 2011 Farhana Faruq rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Farhana by: Dulli Ahmed
Shelves: early-readers
This was recommend to me by a 7 year old boy that read it 5 times and a 6 year old boy that read it three times - obviously very loved.

I have to agree, it is an interesting and very imaginative story. I enjoyed it.

The art work is also wonderful.
Leslie
This series is also by Dav Pilkey (the Captain Underpants author), and is also perfect for 6-8 year old boys. Plus, it is slightly less gross than the other series! Both incorporate comic book drawings and silly flip-o-ramas that my son enjoys.
Isaac Bryson
Ricky ricotta gets bullied in school until one day an evil scientist makes an robot that will not destroy the city, the evil scientist decides to destroy the robot, but Ricky saves it and it becomes his friend.
Leslie
My seven year old Aspie reluctant reader seems to like these because they are mindlessly simple to read and feature robots, one of his pet subjects. I think they are ... ug. I am just glad he's reading.
Beth
This series is one of my "aces" with boys who don't like to read. Its a comic book, an adventure, and it always involves a robot and fighting. What more could a boy want? Of course, I really like them too.
Samantha
Dav Pilkey never lets his audience down. Each story is packed with action and memorable characters. I was very satisfied and left smiling after Ricky Ricotta's Giant Robot #1. =)
  • Super Burp! (George Brown, Class Clown, #1)
  • The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero (Quality))
  • Attack Of The Tyrannosaurus (Dinosaur Cove, #1)
  • Frantastic Voyage (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #5)
  • Stink and the World's Worst Super-Stinky Sneakers (Stink, #3)
  • The Gumazing Gum Girl! Book 1 Chews Your Destiny
  • The 26-Storey Treehouse
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace
  • Tut, Tut (Time Warp Trio, #6)
  • Mr. Clever
  • Fly Guy Meets Fly Girl (Fly Guy, #8)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Diamonds (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #1)
  • The Miniature World of Marvin and James
  • Big Nate on a Roll
  • Mercy Watson Thinks Like a Pig (Mercy Watson #5)
  • Dragonbreath (Dragonbreath, #1)
  • Oh say can you say di-no-saur?
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

More about Dav Pilkey...
The Adventures of Captain Underpants (Captain Underpants, #1) Captain Underpants and the Attack of the Talking Toilets (Captain Underpants, #2) The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-Fu Cavemen from the Future Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants (Captain Underpants, #4) Captain Underpants and the Invasion of the Incredibly Naughty Cafeteria Ladies from Outer Space and the Subsequent Assault of the Equally Evil Lunchroom Zombie Nerds (Captain Underpants, #3)