Start by marking “When the Chips are Down (Three of a Kind, #1)” as Want to Read:
When the Chips are Down (Three of a Kind, #1)

When the Chips are Down (Three of a Kind #1)

Melanie Hanson's life didn't go quite the way she had planned. Her cheating ex-husband traded her in for a newer model and she’s in over her head dealing with the drama that comes along with raising her twin teenage daughters.

The last thing she is looking for or needs in her life is a man - or is it?

Ben Wilder is the boy that Melanie loved to hate throughout high school, t
Paperback
Published (first published March 14th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about When the Chips are Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When the Chips are Down

Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
Book – When the Chips are Down (Three of a Kind #1)
Author – Beth Rinyu
Publication Date – March 20, 2015
Genre – Humor/Romance
Type – Companion Series
Cliffhanger – No
Rating – 5 out of 5 Stars

Complimentary Copy generously provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

My Thoughts - Story
I first have to compliment Ms. Rinyu of her talent with weaving 3 different POV’s which all center around one main story. The book was fast paced with each story constantly keeping you on your toes and th
Beth Rinyu
Nov 16, 2014 Beth Rinyu rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
Writing this book was so much fun for me, and I was truly sad to see it end. I hope you fall in love with these characters I’ve created in this one the same way I have. Each and every one is so very special to me. While I was writing it, I actually found myself wishing they really existed so I could hang out with them (That’s my crazy author imagination for ya!). It’s a story that’s really true to life about the hardest job in the entire world – raising teenagers. Dealing with an ex and their ne ...more
Judy
Nov 20, 2014 Judy rated it really liked it
This book was a breath of fresh air. Corny saying, I know, but it’s true. I read this book without having a synopsis. Why? Because when Beth Rinyu asks me to read her book, I drop whatever I’m doing and read her book!!!

That being said, I was unaware this story was told in the pov of 3 women. Pleasantly surprised, this turned out to be the story of a woman and her twin teenage daughters and the intertwining web they weave as a family.

Melanie, Gia and Carrie, each struggle with everyday problems:
Three Chicks
Mar 14, 2015 Three Chicks rated it really liked it
4.5 Star Review by Jen Skewes

What can I say other than I Loved this book! It is no secret that I am a huge fan of Beth Rinyu. I have read and loved every single one of her books. And one of her male characters is on my top book boyfriend list of all time. She never seems to disappoint with the the amazing story lines that she creates that always feel so real and genuine. She manages to create characters that you can relate to and fall in love with. When the Chips Are Down is no different. What I
Jessica's Book Review
Apr 28, 2015 Jessica's Book Review rated it really liked it
One of my top five authors is Beth Rinyu. Anytime I pick up one of her books, I know I am in for a treat with a beautifully written adult romance novel. I couldn't wait to start When the Chips are Down and find new characters to fall in love with.

When the Chips are Down is written in a very unique way. The story is written in three different points of view of three woman going through different stages of love. The main character Melanie is a new divorced 30 late something who is moving on from
Tanya Turner/ Sugar Shack Book Blog
When The Chips Are Down was such a fun read! From the prologue alone I loved it!!! I Instantly related to these characters, seeing myself and a few friends in them. Why can't these people be real? I would so be hanging out with them. Beth did an amazing job giving us three POV's. Melanie is a single Mom of two teenage daughters, Gia and Carrie. Each character brought an exceptional dynamic to the story. Surviving a cheating husband and raising twin teenage girls, Melanie is putting the pieces of ...more
Nance
Jan 03, 2016 Nance rated it really liked it
3.5 star rating

Drama, drama, drama! This book is full of it. Family, friends, and lovers. They're all hiding something. And, everything comes with a price. If you're in the mood for heartbreak, young love, and old crushes, this is the book for you...

Full review to be written soon...
Rachel
Nov 16, 2014 Rachel rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS <3

This brilliant read is told in triple point of view between single mum Melanie Hanson and her twin daughters, Gia and Carrie and it works so well.

Melanie is picking herself up, blowing away the cobwebs and moving on after divorcing her cheating husband. She is a great mum, strong, fun and someone you would love as a friend yourself. She is very relatable and that helped to lose myself in the story. I really laughed out loud at some of the situations she finds herself in, she crack
Monique
Nov 29, 2015 Monique rated it it was amazing
Have you ever wondered what happened to your high school crush? What would you do if you bumped into him again after 20 years? Would he be the same cheeky, smart alec boy, or had he matured?

Melanie Hanson has had a big year. Her marriage of 18 or so years has ended. She has moved her twin girls back to be close to her home town. She is now part owner of a bridal shop with her mother. One thing that has been a constant - her bestie Jodi.

Jodi convinces Mel to take a trip to Mexico and to start to
Katrina Tingle
Mar 14, 2015 Katrina Tingle rated it it was amazing
A sweet story of a mother and her teenage twin girls. Melanie has to learn to live life as a single mother when her husband Alec AKA Douchbag as I like to call him..lol left her for his much younger girlfriend. The girls have issues of their own.
I love that you not only get Melanie POV, but you will also get Gia and Carrie POV throughout the entire story. And no story would be complete without a crazy best friend and some HOT guys.
See what happens when Ben the boys Mel went to school with c
Amy Queau
Dec 06, 2014 Amy Queau rated it it was amazing
Such a great book! You can always count on Beth Rinyu for these kinds of light and dreamy romances.
I won't rehash the plot, but I loved this book. There was no unnecessary or immature conflict, everyone acted their age, and there were three (or four!) romances going on at once. In other circumstances, this might have been confusing, but it was written in three different POVs, and it flowed very smoothly.
This is one of those books where you get halfway through and you start slowing down because y
Sunshine
Dec 14, 2014 Sunshine rated it it was amazing
*I was given an ARC for an honest review.

When The Chips Are Down Is an absolutely amazing book!!
It was such a refreshing and fun read! Beth wrote a wonderful book of family and love. The three POVs were perfect and I really enjoyed reading it from all direction.
There are such wonderful characters in this book...
Melanie is an amazing woman; strong and sassy. I want Jodi as my best friend!! Ben, oh Ben! I'm in love.
The book flowed easily. I loved the banter between Mel and Ben. I laughed and smil
Melinda
Nov 16, 2014 Melinda rated it it was amazing
When The Chips Are Down by Beth Rinyu

I really loved this latest book by Beth Rinyu! I thought it highly entertaining and found myself smiling throughout most of the book. Having said that, the book did touch on some very serious issues thus resulting in some heartbreaking moments. It really was perfectly balanced. The book was written in multiple points of view which I thought was perfect for this story! The personalities were just so great and I truly loved getting to know them - Ben, Melanie,
Shan
Feb 24, 2015 Shan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book .I developed a love/ hate relationship with some of the characters . I felt like I knew each and every one of them personally .. I can't wait to read the next book . Great job on this book as always :) I am pretty sure this series is going to be my favorite so far .
Lisa
Jan 05, 2017 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars

Oh I loved this book, these characters were beautiful and so entertaining, nothing better than the happy ending you are hoping for. Look forward to the rest of these books.
Kim
Feb 14, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-5-stars
4/4.5 stars

This book centers around a thirty-seven year old divorcee Melanie Hanson and her two seventeen year old daughters, Gia and Carrie and it is told in all three of their points of view.

Melanie has always been the good girl, dutiful wife, and mother. Now she is the wronged wife and is raising her twin teenage daughters on her own. She is sassy, sarcastic, and a bit of a mess. Her non existent sex life gradually starts to liven up with encouragement from her crazy best friend, Jodi. When M
Char (1RadReader59)
Jun 05, 2015 Char (1RadReader59) rated it it was amazing
This by far has to be one of the most enjoyable books I have read. This was so laugh out loud funny it made it effortlessly enjoyable to read. Each character has their moment at least once if not several times to take the limelight. Yet, there are some very tender moments that are so heartwarming that you realize just how truly gifted this writer is.
The story line mainly revolves around Melanie Hanson, 37 and her two twin daughters Gia and Carrie Maynard (16). Of course what would a special or
Marsha Spohn
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

There are worse things in life than finding your husband, your cheating husband, in a compromising position with the secretary. Might be hard to come up with them at the time, but there are. And maybe, in some part of her mind, Melanie wasn’t so much surprised and hurt as she was relieved. Sad, isn’t it? When the one you planned on ending your days with until your last day turns out to be the scumbag you had been suspecting he was for some time now. Oh sure, the
Rachel
Dec 18, 2015 Rachel rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
4-4.5 stars

Knowing the second and third books in this series are arriving shortly, I was excited to get into Melanie’s story. I enjoyed the more mature characters in Melanie’s world, with the juxtaposition with the high school drama her daughters are experiencing. The combination of voices took some getting used to, but made this story feel very different than I expected in the best possible way.

Melanie Hanson hasn’t led the life she imagined. Always the devoted wife and mother, her world shifts
Brianna Marie
Nov 23, 2014 Brianna Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 giant OREO COOKIES!!
This book, this book, oh my, this book!
I have been a huge fan of Beth Rinyu ever since I read her very first book and my admiration for her talent has grown with each book thereafter. But in all honesty, I must say this book is truly an example of Beth’s gift that she has for writing.
Let me rewind this: Last year around this time I was reading a certain book by this same author(and those of you that read it will know exactly which one I ‘m talking about) and I couldn’t see
Jennifer Sons
Awesome book! I'm a huge Beth Rinyu fan & this book just made me an even bigger fan! I totally related to the characters! Not to mention, the writing is fantastic! It's the perfect mixture of laughter, love, passion, anger, hate, animosity and it's not short of steamy situations. Not to mention, there's a hilarious bff. It touches on a lot of sensitive issues, one being bullying! Amazing book!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The book is the 1st in a 3 book series. It's told in 3 POVs: Melanie(mom), Gia and Carrie(Twin teen
Monica Cullip
Sep 07, 2015 Monica Cullip rated it really liked it

When The Chips Are Down

This story was gifted to me in exchange for an honest review.

It looked like a sweet romance, the cover was catchy and I was good to go, I was settled in for a nice little romance. Well let me tell you that this book delivered that and so much more. It is written in three different points of view, mom Melanie is recently divorced and raising two teenage daughters, the twins Gia and Carrie who provide the other POV. All I can say is this author definitely has a lot of talent
DCT
Mar 25, 2015 DCT rated it it was amazing
I have read a couple of books from this author in the past, but this is by far my absolute favorite by her to date. This story and these characters really spoke to me, and I found myself completely engaged in their saga. Between Melanie and Ben, Carrie and Jason and Gia and Daniel this read had my rapt attention. I was totally pulled in, waiting to see what would happen next.
Melanie is coming to terms with her divorce and adjusting to the fact that her husband is now married to the much younger
Sophia Holt
Mar 06, 2015 Sophia Holt rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars.

Received ARC for an honest review. D&S Book Blog.

The last thing she is looking for or needs in her life is a man - or is it?

Ben Wilder is the boy that Melanie loved to hate throughout high school, the boy that all the girls loved and the boy that didn't giv
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Jan 11, 2016 Nerdy Dirty & Flirty rated it really liked it
description

Melanie Hanson is starting over. After finding her cheating husband with a younger woman, Melanie finds herself as a single mother of her twin teenage girls.

Ben Wilder is the boy from high school that wouldn't have anything to do with her unless it was to call her names and tease her. But after a hilarious meeting after all these years can enemies turn into something more?

Beth Rinyu has written a laugh out loud book! I loved the scene where Ben and Melanie meet again. I could see that happening
Candi-
I really loved this book and once I started reading I couldn't put it down. When the Chips are down is told in 3 POV's, Melanie and her twin teenage daughters Carrie and Gia. Melanie is trying to pick up the pieces of her life after her divorce to her cheating husband Alec. Gia is your fun loving twin who likes to get in trouble and Carrie is the more sensible one who likes to do things by the book. You might think having 3 pov's is confusing but I absolutely loved it!! Even after I finished rea ...more
FMR Book Grind
Apr 04, 2015 FMR Book Grind rated it really liked it
TATIA'S REVIEW
4 Stars

Melanie Hanson is now a single mom of twin girls. Had it not been for her best friend, she would have totally let herself go after her husband cheated and then left her for the much younger woman. Now, Jodi (said best friend) is determined to get Melanie back in the world of dating with a trip to Mexico. I guess you could say that it worked since Melanie woke up in someone else's bed.
Once she gets back home and back to her normal routine, she runs into a guy from high school
Books&Dreams
Jan 18, 2016 Books&Dreams rated it it was amazing
 photo bookwormsreviewicon.jpg

When the Chips are Down is book #1 in the Three of a Kind series
I gave this book 5 stars.
This is Melanie's story.

I honestly picked this book to read because I loved the cover.. I needed a much needed break from all the drama and chaos of my life. I found it in this book. It was perfect.
This book is not what I expected. It was so much more.
Melanie is a daughter, a mom, a best friend. She had her life planned out, it just didn't turn out the way she expected it to. This is her story. It is fu
Royal Lioness
Jan 17, 2016 Royal Lioness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three POVs, three stories in one

I enjoyed this story with three 1st person POVs from the mother and her twin daughters. This was a first for me. Three females with their own personalities and hot, potential partners.

My interest was piqued by an unexpected one-nighter in Mexico that starts off the story. Then she returns to her regular life: divorced, partner with her mother at their bridal shop, and raising her twin daughters. She meets up with the popular guy from high school, who she was crush
Andrea Britton
Feb 27, 2015 Andrea Britton rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!!

Beth had sucked me in again! Haha! I love all her books. This story is told in three povs which I loved!

Melanie- mom of Carrie and Gia divorced and looking to mingle sort of. :-)

Gia - twin Daughter of Melanie and Alec and a total hoot. She can make anyone laugh.

Carrie- twin Daughter of Melanie and Alec. Tutoring Jason, Bens Son.

Ben - Jason's Dad and has interest in Melanie
Jason- getting tutored by Carrie
Daniel- tutoring Gia in Calculus

There is a lot going on but it's such a great s
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Book Cover Delete 3 107 Feb 16, 2015 06:31AM
  • The Truth about Dandelions
  • Future Letters
  • No One's Surrender (Chadwell Hearts, #3)
  • Dirty Angel
  • In This Life
  • Loving Logan
  • Damaged Goods (Men of London, #7)
  • Barely Surviving (Surviving, #1)
  • Wildcard: Volume Two (Wildcard, #2)
  • The Chase, Volume 2 (The Chase, #2)
  • Jesus Freaks: The Prodigal (Jesus Freaks, #2)
  • More Than Friends
  • The World As He Sees It: (Perspectives #2)
  • Intermission (The Bridge, #2)
  • The Dare (The Chronicles of Katrina, #1)
  • A Sweet Affair (Atlanta Affair, #2)
  • Oceans Collide (Oceans Trilogy, #1)
  • Catching Whitney
Ever since I can remember, I have always enjoyed Creative Writing. There was always something about being able to travel to a different place or become a different person with just the stroke of a pen - or in today's world a touch of the keyboard. I am the author of The Exception To The Rule, An Unplanned series, Drowning In Love, A Cry for Hope, A Will To Change, Blind Side of Love, Three of a Ki ...more
More about Beth Rinyu...

Three of a Kind (3 books)
  • Two of Hearts (Three of a Kind, #2)
  • Straight To The Heart (Three of a Kind, #3)