Start by marking “Games” as Want to Read:
Games

Games

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  93 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Three teenage girls spending a weekend in an isolated country house probe the secrets of its past and trigger a series of bizarre events, which may be caused by a mischievous boyfriend or supernatural forces.
Published June 1st 1989 by Puffin Books (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Games

Joybell
Nov 01, 2011 Joybell rated it really liked it
What happens when three teenage girls are alone in a 100 year old house, with a dark past?

I first read this book when I was maybe 9 or 10 years old, and had stolen it from my older sister. And boy, did it scare the pants off me! Robin Klein really does have an amazing talent for descriptive writing, which captivates the audience.

It's a book that I pull out every two years or so, and each time I do the familiar chills run up my spine, even though I know what the conclusion is. That this book can
Tara Calaby
'Patricia swallowed nervously. She didn't much like going up there alone, not knowing where any of the light-switches were, but it would be out of the question to bolt back into the living-room and ask Kirsty or Genevieve to come with her. There was this other image she was trying to create before their eyes, of a different Patricia Miggs, cool and sophisticated, who didn't need permission to go away for weekends with her schoolfriends. That image would be devastated if she went babyishly back i ...more
Lisa Birch
The best book Robin Klein has written! Patricia is such an interesting character, and the story has stayed with me for such a long time. Those horrible queen bees and Aunt Maud made for fascinating characters. The best character of all, was of course, the house.

It is great that this book captures just one weekend. You never know whether Patricia will go back to her old life as a changed girl, or whether she will revert back to her old ways. I was cheering for her the whole way through.
Siobhan
I remember reading this as a child/early teen. Yeah. I call this story, "Teenage girls can be horrible nasties, but there's always some dude locked in the closet waiting for you! YAY!"

No, but on the idea of a thriller and the teenage joy of the ouija board at parties in abandoned houses (I really need to have some more of those, by the way!), I thought this was a fun book. You know, as a teenager who had been bullied as a child by other girls I felt a connection with the main character, save the
Michelle
Mar 04, 2015 Michelle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ref-booktalker
Listed as Q4 = Exceptional!, P4 = A book everyone wants to read
Ellie
Mar 15, 2015 Ellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: primary-school
Nicola Barton
Nov 16, 2012 Nicola Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading this in primary school and loving it. Recently found it again and, though as an adult it lost some of its sheen, I still enjoyed being transported back to my Aussie childhood!
Shell
Nov 10, 2013 Shell rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, reviewed
Games is one of those books that you never forget. I read this when I was about 10 or 11 and just looking at the cover brings back the spooky feeling I had reading it all those years ago.
Emma Louise
Jul 20, 2009 Emma Louise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
Don't remember much but I remember I enjoyed its eerie intensity! Read this when I was about 10 or 11.
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Ngaire
Ngaire added it
May 14, 2016
Brenton Cullen
Brenton Cullen is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2016
Linus
Linus added it
Mar 14, 2016
Honb
Honb added it
Mar 03, 2016
Shereen
Shereen marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
Mwansa Mubuyaeta
Mwansa Mubuyaeta rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2016
Carly
Carly rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2016
Kylie Westaway
Kylie Westaway rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
True Horse
True Horse marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Alana McDiarmid
Alana McDiarmid rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
-Ile-
-Ile- rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2015
Eleanor
Eleanor rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Bess
Bess rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Ciarne
Ciarne marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Brin
Brin marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Erica Anderson
Erica Anderson marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
205124
Winner of the Dromkeen Medal (1991).
More about Robin Klein...