Start by marking “Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up ” as Want to Read:
Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up

Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up (Keena Ford)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Meet an irrepressible young lady with a flair for getting into trouble! Sassy, fun-loving Keena Ford always tries to do the right thing, but somehow, she just keeps making things worse. Keena is super excited about starting second grade and she?s eager to impress her new teacher?but why does Ms. Hanson think Keena?s birthday is tomorrow? It was a small mistake, but now Kee ...more
Published July 3rd 2008 by Dial

To ask other readers questions about Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsThe Rough-Face Girl by Rafe MartinMufaro's Beautiful Daughters by John SteptoeRuth and the Green Book by Calvin Alexander RamseyEverywhere Babies by Susan Meyers
Multicultural Children's Lit
203rd out of 305 books — 42 voters
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy BlumeSixth Grade Secrets by Louis SacharThe Fourth Grade Wizards by Barthe DeClementsNothing's Fair in Fifth Grade by Barthe DeClementsNinth Grade Slays by Heather Brewer
School Grades in Title
33rd out of 103 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Bree' E.
Keena Ford , she is a African American girl , she is going into the second grade ! Keena is very nervous to go to second grade and get out of second grade habits . She also is concerned about how she wont have any friends or that friends , teachers , and staff at the school will not enjoy her presents .. She is really hoping she will have a more than great year !

Keena Ford and I have many things in common. A couple of things are that we were both scared to start school because of various reasons
Lisa the Librarian
Nov 23, 2009 Lisa the Librarian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Junie B. Jones fans
This was a really cute book. I am seeing a trend in children's books with the main character being a spunky, maybe bordering on bratty girl. Keena is one of these as well.

She is not as charming or enduring as Ramona Quimby, but is much less over the top and more believeable than Junie B. Jones.

I liked this book in the fact that Keena's mix-up over her birthdate could actually happen to a child. (Although it makes much less sense that a teacher would depend on second grade students to give her t
Debra
I just love Keena Ford! What a great little character, smart and full of heart! I think my second graders will love her too! Keena tells her story through her journal. She is very relatable and reminds me of many of my students! I wish there were more books like this at this reading level!
Lisa
I wanted a new book to read to my 2nd graders, and this book was perfect! I have now purchased the rest of the Keena Ford books, and I can't wait to read them with my class.

Keena Ford is a believable character that my students immediately fell in love wtih.
Danie P.
Cute Cute Cute. Keena starts the second grade and she finds out she'll be split up from her best friend! They're having all girls and all boys classes this year. She finds herself in more trouble then usual this year.
Better than Junie B., shorter than Ramona.
Shannon
Very cute!
Yasmeen
it was asome its OK
Taneka
Keena Ford lives in Washington D. C. and always seems to get into trouble. She doesn’t mean to do so, but she does. Keena is going to the Second Grade and she is sad because her best friend, Eric, will not be in a class with her. She likes her new teacher Ms. Campbell, who allows them to write their own rules and gives them cake for their birthday. Ms. Campbell thinks that it is Keena’s birthday because Keena mistakenly wrote it as 9/2 instead of 2/9. Will Keena tell the truth or will the chocol ...more
Heidi
Grades K-2
Keena Ford accidentally writes her birthday as 9/2 instead of 2/9 on the paper birthday cake for her birthday cake, and when her new second grade teacher announces it is Keena's birthday the next day and there will be chocolate cake, Keena does not correct her error. Keena Ford is like Junie B. Jones in that she spends a lot of time in the office for misbehaving, but what is missing and what made Junie B. Jones so popular is humor and an unmistakable voice. At times, this book can be a
Sherrie
Keena Ford and the Second Grade Mix Up is fun read with wonderful illustrations. Although, Keena works hard to stay out of trouble she isn't always successful. This book is perfect for those readers who have just started reading chapter books. The short chapters and the books short length along with its humorous moments will make it a big hit with young readers. 4 stars!
Amy Brown
Keena Ford sometimes gets in trouble in school (even though she doesn't mean to) and her first week of second grade is no exception. It starts when she writes down her birthday for her teacher but instead of writing 2/9, she does it backwards 9/2 and the teacher thinks it's her birthday the next day. Keena wants to correct her but then she hears about the chocolate cake and she doesn't say anything. Once she stays quiet, she doesn't know how to fix her mistake. This is just one story in a fun, b ...more
Lindsay
I got to read this book ahead of time because I know the author - some say she is like a sister to me. Our mom is one such person. Nonetheless, this book is wonderful for both first-time or long-time readers. It is a sweet, yet hilarious story with truly likable characters. The wit is appealing to all ages and will leave all readers smiling. (Plus, the chapters are only a few pages long - my kind of book.)

Check out Keena Ford!

You can also pre-order on Amazon.com, but if you think you can be the
Jnase1
Very cute and easy read with some great lessons! K-2 readers will enjoy it.
Carla
Great story!
Jackie
Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up is a charming story about the trials and tribulations of entering second grade. Keena seems to get herself mixed up in tall tales, half truths, and bumbling errors. She is sure her best friend, new friend, parents, and teachers will all hate her for her errors of omission and stumbling blocks. But what she finds is that the people who love her, love her in spite of her mishaps and mistakes. Second Grade is going to be the best year ever!
Johnny
Keena Ford is pretty darn sweet, and my daughter and I just love her (my daughter especially loves that Keena's hair looks like hers). In this volume, she has a rough start to second grade, but she learns a lot of terrific lessons along the way. The narration speaks directly to the age of the target audience, and I'm excited for my daughter to reread these books once she starts school herself.
Kathy Fredrickson
Sep 15, 2008 Kathy Fredrickson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: emerging readers and their parents, teachers, youth services librarians
Recommended to Kathy by: BCCB
What a delightful treat for emerging readers! Keena is a charming and outspoken girl entering the second grade. She spends her first week of school learning numerous important lessons. She fears there may be too much pink in her all-girl classroom, a feeling to which I can completely relate!
Looking forward to reading more of this sparkling character's journal entries!
Melanie Swider

Great book for developing readers - funny, engaging, and strong characters. Love how the main character acts like a real 2nd grader would - makes mistakes, tells fibs, and is sneaky at times which gets her into trouble. I also love how the main character has a single mother, lives in an apartment, and has a boy as her best friend.
Countrygirl36 Gray
I read this at school one day during my lunch break. It was an incredibly cute book. I am fairly certain that my diary looked very much like this book when I was her age. Interesting and easy to follow, I think it would be perfect introduction to chapter books for young readers.
Zonia
Move over Junie B! Keena is here to fill your lives with laughs and a lesson or two. Great read for 2nd graders.
Title on my book reads "Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up" but i think it is the same book. Can't wait to read more Keena adventures.
Paula Lyle
I love Keena Ford! This is a great book about second grade problems and how they get solved. I love that Keena gets confused and doesn't know how to fix it, but her good heart sees her through each situation. I can't wait to share these with my class.
Dani
I'm not a huge fan of the "journal" books, but this one was pretty good. It made me chuckle a few times. I'll definitely recommend it to younger girls at the library.
Lauren Gemske
I'm very excited to teach this book - Keena is a very relatable character to many second grade girls (and probably boys!).
B
The first of a series about a young African American girl living in DC with her mom and brother. Cute like Junie B Jones but better language!
Booklover123
I had to read this book to my little sister. It was an easy read chapter book. Only 100 pages or so. Cute Story.
nae-babe is
Ilearned that not to lie to your friends b/c u and them might not be friends with them anymore.......
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Reminds me a little of Nikki Grimes' Dyamonde Daniel Series. I can see children enjoying this.
  • Lulu and the Duck in the Park
  • Being Teddy Roosevelt
  • Anna Hibiscus
  • Marty McGuire Digs Worms!
  • Help Me, Mr. Mutt!: Expert Answers for Dogs with People Problems
  • The One and Only Stuey Lewis: Stories from the Second Grade
  • Two Bobbies: A True Story of Hurricane Katrina, Friendship, and Survival
  • I Feel Better with a Frog in My Throat: History's Strangest Cures
  • The Case of the Lost Boy (The Buddy Files, #1)
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • Never Glue Your Friends to Chairs (Roscoe Riley Rules, #1)
  • Just Grace (Just Grace, #1)
  • Soupy Saturdays with the Pain and the Great One
  • Testing the Ice: A True Story About Jackie Robinson
  • Stella Batts Needs a New Name
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • Like Pickle Juice on a Cookie (Eleanor, #1)
  • Panda Kindergarten
Hello! I am a fifth-grade teacher and the author of the KEENA FORD series of early chapter books. KEENA FORD AND THE FIELD TRIP MIX-UP and KEENA FORD AND THE SECOND GRADE MIX-UP are available in paperback, and KEENA FORD AND THE SECRET JOURNAL MIX-UP was released in hardcover in September.
More about Melissa Thomson...
Keena Ford and the Field Trip Mix-up Keena Ford and the Secret Journal Mix-Up Keena Ford and the Second-Grade Mix-Up Cascadia