Taiwan

Taiwan (Lonely Planet Country Guide)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Lonely Planet Taiwan
Take your tastebuds touring around the buzz of food stalls at Taipei's Shilin Night Market
Soak yourself in the steaming, smooth waters of the Taian hot springs
Hike the Walami Trail to the sound of monkeys crashing through the jungle canopy
Emerge from the temples of Penghu straight onto some of East Asia's finest beaches
In This Guide:
Two resident auth...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Lonely Planet Publications (first published July 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Taiwan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taiwan

Germany by Andrea Schulte-PeeversI Borghi più belli d Italia 2013 by Claudio BacilieriItaly by Damien SimonisLonely Planet by Chris RowthornLonely Planet France by Jeremy  Gray
Travel Hetalia
75th out of 84 books — 2 voters
Lonely Planet by Chris RowthornLonely Planet by China WilliamsLonely Planet by Damian HarperNepal by Bradley MayhewMalaysia, Singapore & Brunei by Simon Richmond
Lonely Planet Guidebooks
102nd out of 138 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

This is a great travel guide book about Taiwan. It is very informative and include some really good tips. I only scanned the later sections, since I've been to Taiwan's Hsinchu, Taipei, and Tainan already for a short visit. Hopefully I'll be able to come back one day! I'm a little surprise to find out how religious Taiwan really is, the top religions being Confucianism, Taoism, and Buddhism. "Taiwan has world's largest person/temple ratio." (P.49)

Funny Quote: "Even Lee Teng-hui's worst enemies g...more
Britt☮
Cons:
-It could use some tighter editing. I noticed some missing punctuation here and there, but it could just be a formatting issue with the Kindle edition.

-The book seems to be organized with the expectation that people will read it cover-to-cover, which most people don't do with travel books. For example, there is a small section titled "Green Island Travel Quota" right before the main section about Green Island. But if you go to the chapter on "Taiwan's Islands" and click on the link to "Gree...more
Ambar
Dec 07, 2007 Ambar rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: you who want to go to Taiwan
Shelves: travel
Not bad, but not so comprehensive like China one. Most of important point did not have Chinese character such as train station or airport make it so hard to give an order to taxi driver. As it's been published 2004 so yes little bit out of date. So many changes i the past three years such as Maekong Gondola and High Speed Rail system which polished Taiwan even more interresting.

It has a simple pinyin Chinese latin that you can use for survival. But mind you that the pronunciation and the writing...more
Sanne
Of course this series is well known amongst travellers, but for those to whom it's new; take my word, it's amazing!
The series is huge and cover (i think) nearly all countries of the world. Not only will they guide you to the highlights, but especially to the more unknown (and maybe therefore more special) spots and places. If you're looking for an adventurous trip full of excitement, I would definitely recommend it to you. For me, this book has made my summer exchange to Taiwan even more amazin...more
Nancy
I dunno if you read a Lonely Planet so much as fantasize.

At any rate:

bomb-ass food, night markets, Ching dynasty hiking, jungles, white-sand beaches, snorkeling and scuba-diving.

What's not to like?

I mean, besides a 10 year estrangement from the paternal unit who currently resides there.
Alex
I normally really enjoy and like Lonely Planet books but this book had a few restaurants that we couldnt find with the lonely planet maps and information and we were looking in the right place!

Could of just been bad luck with places closing down but it still lessened by opinion of this book.
Jack
Jan 22, 2008 Jack rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Seeking Taiwan
Very helpful travel tips and such. This book really makes you want to get out and do it for yourself. The edition I read was published in 2004, so a number of things were out of date. See if you can locate a more recent copy if you are going to Taiwan.

Taiwan is incredimazing, by the way.
Dan
Jun 07, 2007 Dan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
Good info and I survived two trips to the ROC. Thus, I think it is good. Some outdated info, but hey it is better than asking the cabbies that acost you outside the Kao-Shung train station.
Caitlin
This book was spot on for my trip to Taipei. The book, a subway map, and a subway day pass were essential to seeing everything I wanted to see while I was there.
Lola
Jul 14, 2011 Lola marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
For a place the size of Maine, this book is very detailed. However, I will personally not go there this decade since the recent food scandal in Taiwan....
Cynthia
The writing is interesting and occasionally hilarious. The two writers are ex pats living in Taiwan who obviously love it and know it very well.
Badariah Yosiyana
quite helpful if you know nothing about Taiwan before. But the book mostly exposed Taipei. Other cities? not that much unfortunately.
Andrea
pretty much my bible.
Colin
Colin added it
Jul 25, 2014
Alice.liyao
Alice.liyao marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Grape
Grape marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Prilla Wendaria
Prilla Wendaria marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
More about Robert Kelly...
Kiribati Croatia China Teaching strategies for the college classroom: A collection of faculty articles Tibet