Start by marking “Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment” as Want to Read:
Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment

Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Here is a powerful new program that can clearaway the unconscious agreements patterns thatundermine even your best intentions. Through their ownmarriage and through twenty years' experiencecounseling more than one thousand couples, therapistsGay and Kathlyn Hendricks have developed precisestrategies to help you create a vital partnershipand enhance the energy, creativity, ...more
Published January 1st 1992 by Bantam (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Conscious Loving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conscious Loving

Gavin White
Feb 29, 2008 Gavin White rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: you.
Recommended to Gavin by: Nathaniel Tucker White
Shelves: books-to-live-by
I picked up a copy of this book when my brother gave his to our father, saying, "I couldn't find another one, but this is so important that I'm giving you my own."

Since then, I've filled it with underlines, markings, and marginal notes, built long and loving relationships on its principles, and loved it so thoroughly that I've rebound it a few times with medical tape from my first-aid kit.

And the book has returned the favor; it has restored the binding of myself – that which keeps me together, m
Desinka
It has taken me a while to read and assimilate this book but it was worth the time and effort. This work presents a concise and easy to understand guide to the working of our conscious and unconscious minds, the roles we play and the projections we make that prevent us from having genuine and meaningful relationships. It also outlines the path to achieving an authentic relationship with oneself and others. I was very grateful for the final part of the book which provided exercises meant to help ...more
Susan Rutter
I read this while visiting my father in Ohio. No relationshippy book has ever spoken so urgently to me -- and I've read a few. Self-help is my guilty pleasure -- some adults read romance or Harry Potter on the sly. I like the Why Martian Men Who Love Too Much Are Peter Pans In The Bedroom, and Is Your Dog Co-Dependent genre.

The authors write matter-of-factly about many taboo subjects in relationships that have frankly puzzled me for years. What's really happening with us when we begin to (again
Iona  Main Stewart
When I ordered this book, I did not realize that it dealt with love within marital relationships and not love in general, as in the book ”Love for no reason” by Marci Shimoff, but nonetheless I was by no means disappointed once I got into it. I have learnt much from it – it provides material that I have not found elsewhere.

We learn how to transform co-dependent relationships into co-committed relationships.

Co-dependence is “an agreement between people to stay locked in unconscious patterns”. Co-
Zinta
No, nothing new. Which is precisely what makes this so good. This is the stuff of time-tested common sense, the stuff of that inner voice of wisdom, the one that is always trying to steer you in the right direction, even as you kick and scream and resist, intent on remaining on the old path of repeated and repeated and repeated cycles. We repeat them until we learn the lesson. Resolve the dilemma. Solve the puzzle.

If the Hendricks message is to be boiled down to one catch-phrase, it would simpl
Nickjames
Probably the most profound relationship book written. Very deep and dense, but worth the read. I think this is the staple for anyone interested in a conscious relationship. What I love about this book as it addresses, what I believe the only real problem in life: how much fun can you have, both in relationship and life? The Hendricks call it the "Upper Limits Problem" and by far the most advance tool I've ever had in enjoying my life. Totally recommend it. Plus, the appendix has so many processe ...more
Paulo Flores Chico
hmm. what can i say. i highly recommend this for anyone who wants to truly work on a honest relationship. after numerous of self help books, this one in particular is special because its so positive, hopeful and the ultimate goal is co-creativity. but after three years I am still on step 2 of the 7 steps to co-comittment. but watch out, you might not be ready for how good it is. gay and catherine might blow your mind.

Kari Metzger
Oh wow. I think this is the *the best book I have ever read* on relationships. It tackles the hard topics like co-dependence, projection, entanglement, and more not only in a clear, succinct way where you finally say "OHHH! I get it now!', but also gives you practical exercises and advice to then break free and challenge some of these relationship-threatening tendencies on the journey to 'co-creation'. Absolutely fabulous.

And I won't lie. Sometimes hard to look straight in the face. This book aw
Jeff
This is a great book. I used this book for all my relationships, work, etc. It would be good for me to re-read it.
Sara Sherzad
I loved the book, full of "science" I call, due to it's much significance!
This book talks about close and intimate relationships (It could be between any two (e.x two friends, you and your mom...etc) but mostly between two intimates ( A husband & wife) ). Though am single but I got a tremendous benefit from the book, cause it talks about different psychological patterns hidden maybe in subconscious that you may want to solve and other reasons related to those points that I liked alot from t
Judy
I have always liked answers, knowing what makes people tick, and this holds universal truths that makes humankind predictable, interesting and a little crazy on the edges. As such, this is the kind of book where you think to yourself, "that is like so-and-so", or "my friend always says this.... I wonder..." If you read long enough, you'll trip upon yourself, and exclaim - "Oh, that is me!" I found this book on the shelves of a psychiatrist doctor I worked for, decided to take notes, and before I ...more
Cara
Jul 27, 2014 Cara added it
Shelves: life
p. 186 "When we examine closely the origin of that helpless role [seeing yourself as a victim], we see over and over a choice point in childhood: 'Either they're crazy or I am.' The child moving toward autonomy decides, 'They're crazy; I'm going to make my own rules.' The victim decides, 'I'm crazy; they're bigger and must know better.'"

I don't know that this is a childhood issue for me, but there's one area of my life now where I've been trying to figure out whether the other people are crazy o
Darlene
This changed my relationship with my husband. Life of living a co-committed relationship is easier than a non-committed. Adore.
Heron
bell hooks mentioned this book as one of her favorites in her conversation with Laverne Cox at the New School. It has so many good thoughts about mindfulness and full presence. I love the thoughts on claiming 100% creativity of one's "now." Little discussion about privilege or PTSD.
Zoe
Should be required reading for anyone involved with a significant other, or who's single and looking, or even single and not looking. OK, everyone should read this book. It's an eye-opening look at the way we often sabotage our relationships on a level we're not aware of. The idea is to look at conflict and tension as symptoms of deeper issues... the argument about who was supposed to pick up the dry cleaning has to do with a lot more than just clean clothes for Monday morning. Once these issues ...more
Natalie
What makes this book valuable is the emphasis it puts on the somatic experience of intimacy. While I didn't connect much with the style of writing or the constant emphasis put on formative childhood experiences, the practical excercises it offered felt refreshing and helpful. It offeres lots of suggestions about how to connect with the messages of the body, and how we can deepen our experience of closeness and trust. This book is a valuable tool for anyone wanting to understand and transcend the ...more
Jonathan
Sep 16, 2007 Jonathan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting a great relationship

This book provided me tools and frameworks from which i have been able to cultivate my ability to truly be present to a woman, something i believe every woman deeply wants.

Its a guidebook for men and woman, including experiential exercises. My mentor coach, diana chapman studied with the authors for her training, and she is now one of the most powerful and effective women that i know. I am honored to study under her, and to be able to learn directly from her teachers through books like this.

Hi
Ben Owens-filice
This book changed my life!
Alison
This is the first of two books by this couple that I have signed out from the library to read. It was recommended to DP and I by a therapist friend of ours. The second (much smaller) part of the book is actually exercises to work through with your partner or by yourself to help heal relationships. It was very different from other relationship books I've read, a lot more of feeling your feelings as deeply as you can, and not hiding from them or hiding them from your partner. I enjoyed it.
Jennifer Tong
Mar 20, 2012 Jennifer Tong is currently reading it
After reading a lengthy excerpt of the book and interview with the author, I decided it would be a worthwhile read. I was not born a relationship expert! I/we have much to learn. The good news is we see it as an opportunity.

The only mistake I made was buying this on the kindle. This feels like the kind of book you read and (hopefully) want to share with friends! Major kindle drawback.

Stay tuned.
Pam Brown
4.26 rating, with 523 reviews. Maybe there's something here I missed.

I'm keeping this book even though I only give it 3 stars. Maybe some of the lessons just didn't sink in, but they might if I re-read after having gained some maturity. Seem odd to say that at the age of 58, but there you go. Maybe I don't embrace some of the points because I'm in denial. Aren't we all...
April
You know, sometimes these deep "hold me and fix all the old patterns from my childhood and I'll do the same for you" books kind of make me want to gag after awhile. I love this couple, and based on their writing, I think they are really sweet and sincere, but ick.
Kathryn
I'm not a fan of self-help books. Basically, I hate self-help books. This was simple common sense wrapped up for people who have little common sense.
Ami Howard
Aug 17, 2010 Ami Howard is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relationships
The author's are not the best writers, so it's not an easy/fun read, but there is really good information tucked in the cracks
Michael_f
It's a very provocative book that insights one to dig deep. I recommend it, but only if your game for such a read.
Bill
This is the best relationship book I've ever read - and it's a pleasure to be reading it again!
Lori
Excellent book about developing relationships instead of co-dependent entanglements.
Brainorgan
Mar 23, 2012 Brainorgan marked it as not-read
Conscious Loving: The Journey to Co-Committment by Gay Hendricks (1992)
Karen wako
loved this book.very helpful for couples who want a deeper connection.
Pomomom
Aug 11, 2007 Pomomom added it
Recommends it for: Couples
The difference between co dependence and co committment in a relationship.
  • Intimacy & Desire: Awaken the Passion in your relationship
  • How to Be an Adult in Relationships: The Five Keys to Mindful Loving
  • The Fear Book: Facing Fear Once and for All
  • Grown-Up Marriage: What We Know, Wish We Had Known, and Still Need to Know About Being Married
  • Love For No Reason: 7 Steps to Creating a Life of Unconditional Love
  • The Science of Trust: Emotional Attunement for Couples
  • Not Quite Nirvana: A Skeptic's Journey to Mindfulness
  • The Survivor's Guide to Sex: How to Create Your Own Empowered Sexuality After Childhood Sexual Abuse
  • Wabi Sabi Love: The Ancient Art of Finding Perfect Love in Imperfect Relationships
  • Homecoming: Reclaiming and Championing Your Inner Child
  • The Power of Rest
  • Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
  • Career Renegade: How to Make a Great Living Doing What You Love
  • Dirt in the Skirt
  • Too Close to Call: The Thirty-Six-Day Battle to Decide the 2000 Election
  • The Emotionally Abused Woman: Overcoming Destructive Patterns and Reclaiming Yourself
  • Why Is It Always About You? : The Seven Deadly Sins of Narcissism
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
Dr. Gay Hendricks has served for more than 30 years as one of the major contributors to the fields of relationship transformation and body-mind therapies. Along with his wife, Dr. Kathlyn Hendricks, Gay is the author of many bestsellers, including Conscious Loving, At the Speed of Life, and Five Wishes.

Gay received his PhD in counseling psychology from Stanford University in 1974. After a 21-year
More about Gay Hendricks...
The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level The First Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #1) Five Wishes: How Answering One Simple Question Can Make Your Dreams Come True The Second Rule of Ten (A Tenzing Norbu Mystery, #2) Conscious Living: Finding Joy in the Real World

“True independence is not based on fear. It contains within it an ability to be close to others, coupled with a choice to be free and autonomous.” 1 likes