Nocover-blank-133x176
Adrian Mole: the Wilde...

Sue Townsend

Adrian Mole: the Wilderness Years (Adrian Mole #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  3,010 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Mole is back. The fourth novel in the massively popular Adrian Mole series, from internationally bestselling author Sue Townsend. Once again she lets us delve into the hilarious and touching life of a character adored by millions everywhere. Adrian Mole has at last reached physical maturity, but he can't help roaming the pages of his diary like an untamed adolescent. Final...more
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published October 4th 1993 by BBC Radio Collection (first published 1993)

Yawar
People have said here that they were fascinated and repulsed by the character, and wanted to avoid being like him at all costs. Well guess what, there are people like Adrian Mole out there, and I'm one of them--so close in fact that this book stopped being funny when I realised as I read on that I am becoming exactly like him ... or he is becoming exactly like me. Well, at least until I got to the part where someone called the novel he is working on, Lo! The Flat Hills of My Homeland, a parody....more
Kimberly  O'Meara
I really read the book but this says audio. This is my favorite all time book. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Funny. A british nerds diary. what more can I say?
It's been ages since I read the old Mole diaries but they still make me laugh out loud. Adrian is 23 and 3/4 , completely self absorbed, pretentious, annoying, and completely hysterical. Start with his first diary (13 and 3/4) and don't stop until you get to the prostrate years. Sue Townsend, where is our next installment??
Ben Baker
By the time Adrian Mole reached his mid twenties, I had myself finally hit 13 and three quarters and whilst I can't admit to the same level of emotional drama, heartbreak and glue-related accidents of A.A.Mole, I did find myself rooting for him like never before. This fast became my favourite of the books and on this Sue Townsend-inspired return through the collection, I still think it holds up nicely, albeit with slightly more yelling at the hero for his cluelessness. The end felt satisfying an...more
Sophie Elizabeth

As I mentioned in my review of the first novel in this series, I love these books. I absolutely adore them.

That aside, I warn anybody who has read the first three and is about to delve into this one - aside from its humor, this is where the series gets more grown up and a little more realistic in Adrian's tragedies. On reading bits of it again this weekend I actually found it saddening more than funny - but that shouldn't put anybody off because I've read it several times and it's a funny, funny...more
Anna Janelle
[image error]

As always, I greatly enjoyed reading this installment of the Adrian Mole chronicles – maybe even more so than the previous books. Unfortunately, I seemed to have skipped the third in the series, Adrian Mole: Minor to Major, reading the piece of crap teaser/compilation of unreleased essays, The True Stories of Adrian Albert Mole, instead. The mistake was mine alone; however, because I already requested this novel through ILL, I decided to go ahead and work my way through the book tha...more
Graceann
Adrian goes from ages 23 to 25 in this fourth entry in the series. From Leicester to Oxford to London to Greece, he's certainly taking some journeys.

There are times in the first two-thirds of the book that I find it hard to believe a person could be so obtuse. When I was that age, young men assumed that if you looked in their direction, you wanted nothing less than to have their babies; there's a girl here who does everything but jump him and he doesn't get it.

The last third of the story is re...more
Joanne
Apr 19, 2007 Joanne rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: I don't really recommend it
In this book, I both identified wit the character, and loved to hate him. The book is written in first person, in the form of a diary and tells the story of Adrian Mole, a completely unsuccesful 24 year old, who is horribly analitic and thinks that he's awfully tallented while he is writing the worst novel in the world.
He is really scary and creepy, something about the way he views things and reacts to people is almost autistic and it crept me out. It gave the whole book a sort of macabric humou...more
Tilly
Karolina
Michael Roy
Picked this up on Saturday morning whilst 'er indoors was still in bed and didn't put it down until I had polished it off. Long time since I'd done that. Read the first two books YEARS ago and only realised I also had the third book after I had finished this.

Mole continues being utterly clueless with women, anal beyond belief, utterly pretentious, with an incredibly inflated sense of his own intellectualism.

The scary thing (for me, that is) is that I increasingly recognise myself in Townsend's...more
GONZA
Adrian Mole stavolta non delude e con un tuffo nel 1991 (quando Bush padre vomitò sull'ambasciatore giapponese) torna a farmi ridere come un tempo. Archiviato il terzo libro che è penoso, questa quarta parte (su 8) del diario di uno dei più illusi scrittori wannabe del panorama letterario è notevole, non tanto per la sua storia, ma per quanto questa entri a fare parte del suo romanzo, ogni volta che qualcuno gli mette i bastoni tra le ruote, Adrian lo fa uccidere virtualmente dal suo alter-ego l...more
Matti Karjalainen
Sue Townsendin kirjasarjan neljäs osa "Maailma murjoo, Hadrianus"(Otava, 1994) vie lukijansa 1990-luvun alkupuolelle, jolloin Adrian Mole on noin kahdenkymmenenviiden, ja joutuu jo kyseenalaistamaan voidaanko häntä enää "Ah! Kotiseutuni matalat vuoret!" -esikoisromaanin ilmestymisen jälkeen nimittää nuoreksi keskienglantilaiseksi kirjailijaksi. Mikäli teos nyt koskaan valmistuu.

Epäonnistuneet ihmissuhteet (mukaan luettuna nuoruudenrakkaus Pandora), surkea työpaikka ympäristöministeriön vesilisko...more
M
Poor Adrian Mole... In his teenage years, he was amusing and endearing. In his twenties, he is pretentious, annoying, pedantic, and the kind of guy you'd probably end up punching if you knew him. I'm not sure if I'm going to get on with him as he ages... He annoyed me so much in this book that I started hoping he would get mugged by someone, just to give him something genuine to moan about (and also so at least someone would get to punch him). I will stick with him and read on, but sadly he seem...more
Leah
Meh. I read the first Mole book and really loved it. This one was annoying. Adrian is delusional about his looks, talent, and ability. His girlfriend takes off with his mom's boyfriend, then his grandma dies and we all feel even more sorry for him. Then he finds a new exotic girlfriend and goes off to Greece to try and be a writer, but we already know he sucks because of the boring book clips we've been forced to read.

At times, there was dry wit that made me smirk, the rest of the time, I just...more
Erykah
I think this is the first time I've read an Adrian Mole book at a point where I'm the same age as the character. I read this originally aged about 12 and didn't particularly like it - now I'm a 20-something based in London with a string of bad jobs and bad relationships behind me I really got a lot more out of it. Great to see Adrian growing up a bit and becoming a little less gauche.

I still want to read the full manuscript of Lo! The Flat Hills of My Homeland.

- by Erykah, aged 25 3/4.
Kaz
Watching the Tuesday Book Club the other night, they were talking about their favourite comedy books and this just happens to be one of mine. Adrian is oblivious at how annoying and petty he is but his arrogance really makes me laugh and this particular book at least had a happy ending. From love lost to love found to love lost again and everyday situations satirised. I couldn't put this down! I read it in 2 days! Can't wait to read the next in the series!
Emily
Adrian Mole, erstwhile novelist and self-styled intellectual, returns for a fourth installment of his diaries.
While the first 3/4 of this book was more or less filled with the same whining naivety of the preceeding volume of this series, I was pleased with the final quarter in which Adrian seems to finally be growing up. Not a moment too soon. I am now vindicated in having purchased the entire series and am looking forward to the next volume.
Andrew
This is the fourth book in the series (if you can honestly call The True Con fessions a book - it has one merit in that it fills the eight year gap between Growing Pains and this one). Loved the fact that his Mum is seeing her lodger, and that most of the old characters are still knocking about, but most of all, once this was finished, I am actually really looking forward to the next installment!
Tim Jokl
Is this Adrian at his lowest ebb? His most anal? His most creatively frustrated? Like Larry David or Alan Partridge, even David Brent, he's a one of those sad fictional males who endures so much that when he has any sort of minor victory, it seems monumental. The other joy is, as ever with these books, the diary form that captures all the real life crap we thought was important at the time.
Henry
I love this. Adrian, Pauline and George are on fine form, and some good new characters are introduced, albeit some of them only for a brief time: Bianca, JoJo, Cassandra and the staff of Savages. (Am I the only one who wishes JoJo stayed on as a character? By the next book, (view spoiler))
Doris
Of course I liked this book. It's Adrian Mole, after all. He's grown but still clueless, innocent,
and sweet. I've read perhaps four (or more?) Mole books. I would say this is my least
favorite but it's still a good, light, chuckle-inducing read. If you haven't read any of the Mole books,
start with "The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole."
Ute
"He asked how I had taken it.
I said, 'Oh me, I'm fine,' and then big, fat tears rolled down my cheeks and into the electronic workings of the telephone handset. My father kept saying, down the phone, 'There, there, lad. There, there, don't cry, lad,' in a tender voice that I don't remember him using before."
Erin Patterson
Sometimes I just need to read a book I don't have to put any thought into. The Adrian Mole series fulfills this need for me. Adrian has a way about him to drive you crazy, but it's all part of his kind of charm. The characters are unbelievable and the story lines are far fetched, all makes for good entertainment.
Wholenewlight
I picked this up at the free book exchange at Rancho Nicasio in Marin--which incidentally is a great place to hear good live music.

It's precious in the best sense, hilarious, poignant. Great find. I am going to start at the beginning and read the whole series. I would be dumb not to.
Hilary G
I think this is the fourth Adrian Mole book I have read and, by rights, I ought to be getting fed up with the joke by now. It still made me laugh, though, which pays tribute to Sue Townsend's comic skill. Her characters are larger than life, but we all know people like this (don't we?)
Craig P. Kelly
I really enjoyed this one that I missed back in the day. I've read most of the others over the years. This book has reminded me how funny Townsend is - brilliantly written with wicked wit. I am now determined to read the whole lot of them again (only this time in the right order..!)
Sadie-jane (sj) alexis nunis
there are times you read it and go gosh get over yourself and at ither times u feel sorry for him. mole is a character u both love and hate. what is scary is how real he is as he reminds me of 2 people I know. this is the brilliance of sue townsend. now... on to cappuccino years
Elizabeth Moffat
This is the fourth novel in the adrian mole series and one of my favourites (I didn't really rate true confessions). Adrian is twenty four going on fifty four... And still has so many traumas and issues while he attempts to publish his first novel. Very funny!
  • Butterflies, Bullies and Bad Bad Habits (Ally's World, #3)
  • Maria, ihm schmeckt's nicht!
  • The Wimbledon Poisoner
  • O Guarda da Praia
  • E.
  • Gridlock
  • Chocolate à Chuva
  • House of Cards (Francis Urquhart, #1)
  • The Fire-Dwellers
  • Frank Skinner Autobiography
  • War Crimes For The Home
  • The Jeeves Omnibus Vol. 1
  • Look Who It Is!: My Story

Susan Lillian "Sue" Townsend was a British novelist, best known as the author of the Adrian Mole series of books. Her writing tends to combine comedy with social commentary, though she has written purely dramatic works as well. She has suffered from diabetes for many years,...more
More about Sue Townsend...
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4  (Adrian Mole, #1) The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole (Adrian Mole, #2) Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years (Adrian Mole, #5) Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction (Adrian Mole, #6) The Woman Who Went to Bed for a Year